• 18 Replies
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Unable to add music 2010-11-15 19:40:47

Hello, I know this seems very dumb of me, but I can't add music to the game that the tutorial is helping me with. When I press "New Condition" > Start of Frame > and then right click to "Play Music" as the tutorial says, it's all grayed out. Anything I'm doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated, thx.

Unable to add music

CT-Jamie
CT-Jamie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-15 19:48:33

Ah, "music" actually means MIDI files, which aren't supported in TGF2 SWF files. You can still play WAV/OGG with the "sample" option.

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-15 19:52:02

At 11/15/10 07:48 PM, CT-Jamie wrote: Ah, "music" actually means MIDI files, which aren't supported in TGF2 SWF files. You can still play WAV/OGG with the "sample" option.

Oh alright, thanks for the help.

Clickteam
Clickteam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-15 19:52:23

Hello!

Thanks for posting your Question on the Music action.

To answer your question, The music actions are designed for Midi based music, In the flash runtime we do not have the ability to convert Midi to the built in MP3 codec that our flash compiler uses. However you can play music easily from a wav file or ogg and loop it using the Samples Category and the Play and Loop Sample Action (shown in photo) make sure to set it to zero for looping, Zero gives it endless looping.

Let me know if that answers the question!

Unable to add music

FlyinV
FlyinV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-15 19:52:24

We need to go fix a couple of the tutorial bugs :(

We spent all the time making sure the program worked right and didn't check the tutorials close enough. The tutorials are all written for the full version and creating EXE games.

So some features and objects you might see refer to that.
I am sure we can get some new tutorials written up here soon!

If anyone likes to write tutorials ... get ahold of me I am looking for tutorials to purchase or trade some software for :) and some newground specific tutorials would be at the top of my want list!

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-15 19:59:58

At 11/15/10 07:52 PM, Clickteam wrote: Let me know if that answers the question!

Yes, more so than before. Thank you for that.

At 11/15/10 07:52 PM, FlyinV wrote: We need to go fix a couple of the tutorial bugs :(

We spent all the time making sure the program worked right and didn't check the tutorials close enough. The tutorials are all written for the full version and creating EXE games.

Oh alright I see.

So some features and objects you might see refer to that.
I am sure we can get some new tutorials written up here soon!

That'd be nice.

If anyone likes to write tutorials ... get ahold of me I am looking for tutorials to purchase or trade some software for :) and some newground specific tutorials would be at the top of my want list!

Good luck finding someone that could help out with that.

CT-Jamie
CT-Jamie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-15 20:00:59

That's what you get for posting the first question :)

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-20 01:51:13

Another sound question..

I am trying to add an uninterrupted sound effect for when my character falls off of a platform. When he does, the sound does not play, though the frame restarts with one less life as it's supposed to. What's wrong?

Clickteam
Clickteam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-20 11:57:18

I would assume you have a level end event for when he falls of screen, How are you testing to see if he is falling of the platform?

In any case once we figure out how you want to test for falling of a platform, you had a new condition to you r level end event, you would go to the sound object and look for the condition No sounds are playing or A specific sound is not playing. with either of these you will be able to make sure all of the sounds are done before ending the level.

Let me know if that makes sense!

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-20 12:50:26

At 11/20/10 11:57 AM, Clickteam wrote: I would assume you have a level end event for when he falls of screen, How are you testing to see if he is falling of the platform?

In any case once we figure out how you want to test for falling of a platform, you had a new condition to you r level end event, you would go to the sound object and look for the condition No sounds are playing or A specific sound is not playing. with either of these you will be able to make sure all of the sounds are done before ending the level.

Let me know if that makes sense!

I don't think I'm understanding this correctly.

This is my original set up. The sound will not play when he falls even though this would work in the tutorial.

game swf : http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/074c a71bca19c1e6f539ff36f293169b

Unable to add music

DavidXN
DavidXN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-20 14:23:22

I see a check mark next to that highlighted action as well - is that an action that restarts the frame? The restart would interrupt the sound.

I think you can get around this by checking the "Play samples over frames" option in the application properties.

Clickteam
Clickteam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-20 15:32:36

R U trying to play the sound when u fall of screen or of the platform aka a falling sound?

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-20 16:00:27

At 11/20/10 02:23 PM, DavidXN wrote: I see a check mark next to that highlighted action as well - is that an action that restarts the frame? The restart would interrupt the sound.

Yeah it is. I kind of expected that the restart had something to do with the sound not working, and if there's no easy fix then I'll just forget about it.

I think you can get around this by checking the "Play samples over frames" option in the application properties.

I tried that, but no luck.

At 11/20/10 03:32 PM, Clickteam wrote: R U trying to play the sound when u fall of screen or of the platform aka a falling sound?

When you fall off of the screen.

New999
New999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-24 07:57:52

I guess you can just convert the music (MP3 for example) into a WAV. file with a converter.
Just make sure its looping music, not one-go songs.

Never Spammed Never Will.
Need Help? Ask Me! I Know Flash And I Can Tell You How To Fix It.

chaosportalfilms
chaosportalfilms
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-30 19:09:34

At 11/20/10 01:51 AM, EJR wrote: Another sound question..

I am trying to add an uninterrupted sound effect for when my character falls off of a platform. When he does, the sound does not play, though the frame restarts with one less life as it's supposed to. What's wrong?

Make sure that the sound is "uninterruptible" It's explained in the tutorial.

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Unable to add music 2010-11-30 19:22:05

At 11/30/10 07:09 PM, chaosportalfilms wrote: Make sure that the sound is "uninterruptible" It's explained in the tutorial.

It's cool, guys. Problem has been dealt with a while ago.

TheBoyOfAges
TheBoyOfAges
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Unable to add music 2010-12-09 10:58:28

Been looking around and cant find a good converter; any links for a free one?

WAV doesn't want to work mfa, cca, gam, and lib formats are the only ones being regestered.

BBS Signature
Clickteam
Clickteam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Unable to add music 2010-12-09 11:00:49

Somehow you are looking at the wrong dialog box, the files types you mentioned are all save states for MMF2/TGF2 apps. Wav is supported and can be used under the sample set of actions under the Audio object.

TheBoyOfAges
TheBoyOfAges
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Unable to add music 2010-12-09 11:57:16

At 12/9/10 11:00 AM, Clickteam wrote: Somehow you are looking at the wrong dialog box, the files types you mentioned are all save states for MMF2/TGF2 apps. Wav is supported and can be used under the sample set of actions under the Audio object.

Then It's obvious I have no idea what I'm doing :( So how do you add music (step by step) with loop.

BBS Signature