New Topic Respond to this Topic
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:15 PM Reply

What would you say the most powerful countries have been in the past 2000 years? I am pretty interested in history and these sort of things are fun to discuss to me. I guess I shall start with my list and then see you make your own or comment on mine...

100AD- China or Rome. The two never met so we don't really know what would have happened. I would like to think that Rome would have kicked their asses though.

1000AD- China. The entire continent of Europe was a piece of shit at the time.

1500AD- China. Some would like to think that Spain was more powerful, but if you compare the wealth and the power of the army between to two it is obvious that was the top dog.

1700AD- France. They just won the 30 Years War and would be the dominate power in Europe. The naval power was far beyond what China had and they edged out England in power as well.

1815AD- England. They has just beaten France in the Napoleonic Wars and would soon defeat China in the Opium Wars.

1914AD- America/Russia/France/England/Germany. It was really just a big tie at this point in time.

1919AD- America. Europe had been fucked in the butt by WW1 while America was basically untouched. Still not that large of a lead though.

1945AD- America had defiantly pulled away from the pack. 10,000,000 men in service along with the most powerful navy. Also it is best not to forget about the ATOMIC FUCKING BOMB!

2010AD- America. Largest economy along with an army that is bordering absurdly large. Herp derp.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:19 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 02:16 PM, psychicpebble wrote: Let da flame wars begin.

"Cootie u are sooo dum. finland is teh major world powaaa becuz i live tharrrr *wahhh*".

Most Powerful Countries in History?

BBS Signature
StalkerGuy
StalkerGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:19 PM Reply

War isn't something to be proud of...

fu

xEmoRangerx
xEmoRangerx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:20 PM Reply

Portugal used to be one of the most powerful countries in the history until they lost everything.

BBS Signature
morcov
morcov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:21 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 02:19 PM, StalkerGuy wrote: War isn't something to be proud of...

tru dat

That's why Canada wins bitches.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:21 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 02:19 PM, StalkerGuy wrote: War isn't something to be proud of...

Thank goodness that this thread is about the most powerful country as a whole and not the most powerful military. I took more factors into consideration than wars and military strength. If this was pure military might then I wouldn't have placed America in the tie for power in 1914 due to our army being underwhelming.

BBS Signature
AlphaCentauri
AlphaCentauri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:22 PM Reply

Arabia in the 700s was really kicking some ass, the controlled the Middle East, much of Central Asia, North Africa and Spain.

You have to know your name.
LOOP
One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature
StalkerGuy
StalkerGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:27 PM Reply

Well, most of the things you wrote were wars,,..

fu

quanmandetil
quanmandetil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:30 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 02:15 PM, Cootie wrote: 1945AD- America had defiantly pulled away from the pack. 10,000,000 men in service along with the most powerful navy. Also it is best not to forget about the ATOMIC FUCKING BOMB!

I'd agree with you, but Russia was at least as powerful as us during the Cold War.

Also, this is relevant to my interests.
quanmandetil
quanmandetil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:33 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 02:29 PM, EjitinToadForm wrote: Although I really don't care, you would first have to decide what constitutes power and how to measure it. For example, you talk about economy and armies; what about influence and support? Say North Korea launches an attack on South Korea, it doesn't matter which is the more powerful in terms of military, because South Korea is going to draw in such aid from around the world.
You say America (The USA) is the most powerful today, when the momentum is very much with the emerging powers; China being an example - defiant to comply with regulations, witholding resources and so on.
Countries with natural resources also hold great potential 'power'.

Look at it this way. If North Korea or China launched an attack on another country, do you think anyone would rush to help them? No, because they have next to no power outside their borders, excluding their military.

Now look at the Iraq war, instigated (wrongly) by the US. But despite the lack of reasoning behind it, we had LOTS of allies go in with us. That's real power. Having a great military is nice, but if you got pals to back you up, no one messes with you.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:33 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 02:30 PM, quanmandetil wrote:
At 11/12/10 02:15 PM, Cootie wrote: 1945AD- America had defiantly pulled away from the pack. 10,000,000 men in service along with the most powerful navy. Also it is best not to forget about the ATOMIC FUCKING BOMB!
I'd agree with you, but Russia was at least as powerful as us during the Cold War.

Russia was close during the earlier years of the Cold War, but they didn't stay dominate for very long. Before long it was obvious that the USA was pulling ahead of Russia. In the early years it was damn close, but later on the gap widened more and more.

The Cold War is fun to study though. The KGB were beast.

BBS Signature
Shnam
Shnam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:36 PM Reply

I always thought Nazi Germany was pretty beast. They also had the best sense of fashion back in the 1940's.

Thnx for the sig ParadoxVoid
i look like a ballplaya

BBS Signature
SimpleStuff
SimpleStuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:38 PM Reply

USA! USA!

sandwich-eater: you know shits about to go down when you're taking a shit, and gravity is present.
Twitter - Tumblr - Pickle

BBS Signature
Fifty-50
Fifty-50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:42 PM Reply

I think America was one of the most power countries. I mean they like ended the Second World War didn't they?

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:44 PM Reply

Around 1935 you can argue that Nazi Germany took the lead in world power, since the US was bogged down in the Great Depression. Also consider their air power; nothing matched the Luftwaffe until at earliest 1940.

Dora Revolution | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
Rage
Rage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Game Developer
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:44 PM Reply

What are you talking about? America is like, in last place.

The Aztecs are where it's at, and the distant second place is up for grabs...

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:46 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 02:44 PM, RageVI wrote: What are you talking about? America is like, in last place.

The Aztecs are where it's at, and the distant second place is up for grabs...

fuck you ZULUS! I fight for you, everyone attacks me, I fight against you, your fucking naked spearmen are killing my tanks you fucks!!!!

BBS Signature
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:48 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 02:42 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: I think America was one of the most power countries. I mean they like ended the Second World War didn't they?

Well... Sort of. We definitely ended the war in the Pacific, but in Europe, it was a different story. The Soviets really beat us to the punch by taking down Berlin before we got there.

Dora Revolution | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
quanmandetil
quanmandetil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:50 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 02:40 PM, EjitinToadForm wrote: The point I made is that China holds great economic power as a huge economy growing at a very fast rate with no comparable counterpart. Not to mention the fact that their population is vast.
Consider the potential demand coming from a country of 1.4 billion people.
If you're going to use economy to determine who is a world power at this second it's debateable I suppose, but only for the next decade or so.
Like I say as an emerging economy China has great momentum in that it's building up infrastructure to support its growth and also has a comparably high disposable income.

China's economy is bound to collapse, because they're bound to go to war soon.

Think about it: China may have some resources, but they're losing them rapidly, using them up in their economic machine. They've already shown their willingness to use military force, and they have a massive male population, that I would assume is quite unruly, considering that the ratio of males to females is 120 males for every 100 females. And its rising.

I don't know if you know about Taiwan and China's problems with them, but China sees Taiwan as their rightful possession. Once there are too little resources, too many males, and the time is right, I will bet they will invade Taiwan.

Normally, economies get jump-started in war (take WWII for the US for example), but China pretty is an export country. While they probably will build factories to get their war-machine going, the rest of the world will place sanctions on them to show we are against the invasion of Taiwan. The Chinese economy will suffer greatly, and they will lose their spot as "the next big economic power".

But that's just my opinion. I've been to China, and I have grounds to say that its a pretty fucked up country. It may happen or it may not.

If economic power = greatness, China is fucked.

alphaswitch
alphaswitch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:52 PM Reply

whenever you say England you really mean Great Britain

Live Life Large

Wagggs
Wagggs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 02:58 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 02:15 PM, Cootie wrote: 2010AD- America. Largest economy along with an army that is bordering absurdly large. Herp derp.

I know "herp derp" is at the end of that but...you are joking, right?

Exploding genitalia
"Get buttfucked in the mouth." | "Dammit, let me spread my anger, breed my hate!"

Makakaov
Makakaov
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 03:02 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 02:15 PM, Cootie wrote: 2010AD- America. Largest economy along with an army that is bordering absurdly large. Herp derp.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

American Army Leaders have to buy weapons from private dealers, because they are trapped in military economy circle.

Army does mean nothing. Get 500,000 troops to fight against the atomic bomb which is in hands of about 9 countries, from which 2 can launch them to any place in the world. Besides, Ghandi had no weapons, and defeated the British.

All your money is not in china, where children were getting dog payment for making you shoes, and that way, you helped communist china get fame as prosperous communist country at the end of 2009. Bravo.

American education sucks balls, and those badly educated people are going to be in control of the nuclear devices as ministers and presidents in few years.

The key to win, is not super economy, or military superiority. The key is Teamwork.

To build a house, you need people who work with each other. The same goes to the cars, planes, cardboard boxes, press, computers, and even your precious fucking guns.

Guess what. Two years ago Canada had more unemployment percent than emarica, while they had 10/12 for weapons/families.

It might look like canada is pretty much like USA, but:

In USA about 11,000 people get shot every year.
In Canada, It's close to 200.

Do you know why? Because USA threatens people in media. Go watch news this evening. What will happen? Another Black male, about 20 years old, stole something precious, or killed someone?

Sure, because that's a scheme.

Seachmall
Seachmall
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 03:05 PM Reply

Given that America embarrassingly lost the Vietnam war and the more recent Iraq war I don't think it's a very powerful country. Despite it's size it's shockingly underwhelming in terms of power.

LardLord
LardLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 03:05 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 03:02 PM, Makakaov wrote: The key to win, is not super economy, or military superiority. The key is Teamwork.

That might just be the dumbest platitude I've ever heard. Anyways, the key to superiority is economic domination, causing sustainable military expansion. Not "teamwork" you fucking idiot.

LardLord
LardLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 03:12 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 03:05 PM, Seachmall wrote: Given that America embarrassingly lost the Vietnam war and the more recent Iraq war I don't think it's a very powerful country. Despite it's size it's shockingly underwhelming in terms of power.

There were over a million Vietnamese killed in the Vietnam War, the vast majority of them members of the NVA and Viet Cong. The US investiture of troops there was unable to produce absolute victory, however in every measure of success other than achieving the ultimate objective, the US secured victory. Public pressure in the states was the sole reason that a larger investiture of troops (which was ultimately the solution to the problem) was never made. It is wholly the fault of protesters and panicky public officials worried about losing their jobs in Washington that caused the drawdown in Vietnam.

As for Iraq, that war was an absolute victory for the US. We had minimal troop losses (only 4000, after occupying an entire war torn country for 7 years!) deposed Saddam, largely ended sectarian violence, caused the creation of the Shiite local Awakening councils who brought an end to hostilities, and we just pulled out of Iraq. Objectives fully achieved.

Conspiracy3
Conspiracy3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 03:12 PM Reply

you forget the gupta empire, muslim empire, inca empire etc.

quanmandetil
quanmandetil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 03:02 PM, Makakaov wrote: It might look like canada is pretty much like USA, but:

In USA about 11,000 people get shot every year.
In Canada, It's close to 200.

Do you know why? Because USA threatens people in media. Go watch news this evening. What will happen? Another Black male, about 20 years old, stole something precious, or killed someone?

Sure, because that's a scheme.

You're an idiot. You think that American media is what causes the crime rate to be so high? I'm also going to assume that you've seen American movies and video games. If so, then why would you attribute the American media to our crime rates? Everyone in the world has seen American movies, yet they are not affected by it.

And "The key to success is teamwork"? Having allies is important, but really, you sound like something off of nickelodeon. Fuck off.

Also, stop whoring your country Canadians.
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 03:18 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 03:16 PM, quanmandetil wrote:
And "The key to success is teamwork"? Having allies is important, but really, you sound like something off of nickelodeon. Fuck off.

hmmmm, you say something is wrong but dont tell us what is right? not even an opinion on what you think is a good factor for guarranteed power?

fuck off if your just gunna waste our time being an ass quan you dumb fucking cunt

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 03:20 PM Reply

At 11/12/10 03:12 PM, LardLord wrote:
At 11/12/10 03:05 PM, Seachmall wrote: Given that America embarrassingly lost the Vietnam war and the more recent Iraq war I don't think it's a very powerful country. Despite it's size it's shockingly underwhelming in terms of power.
There were over a million Vietnamese killed in the Vietnam War, the vast majority of them members of the NVA and Viet Cong. The US investiture of troops there was unable to produce absolute victory, however in every measure of success other than achieving the ultimate objective, the US secured victory. Public pressure in the states was the sole reason that a larger investiture of troops (which was ultimately the solution to the problem) was never made. It is wholly the fault of protesters and panicky public officials worried about losing their jobs in Washington that caused the drawdown in Vietnam.

As for Iraq, that war was an absolute victory for the US. We had minimal troop losses (only 4000, after occupying an entire war torn country for 7 years!) deposed Saddam, largely ended sectarian violence, caused the creation of the Shiite local Awakening councils who brought an end to hostilities, and we just pulled out of Iraq. Objectives fully achieved.

This is what I am saying. We completed our mission in Iraq with ease and minimal casualties. And in Vietnam we won nearly every battle and killed many more Vietnamese than they killed of us. We didn't really lose the Vietnam war. We just told South Vietnam to go fuck themselves and fight their own battles. We didn't lose, we just decided it wasn't worth our time.

Also, look at the Gulf War. We fought pretty powerful army and destroyed it in only 4 days. If you think that any other country can defeat the USA in war you would be sadly mistaken.

BBS Signature
DumbassDude
DumbassDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Voice Actor
Response to Most Powerful Countries in History? Nov. 12th, 2010 @ 03:21 PM Reply

America because of their economy? Hah, Despite it's size, the economy is one of the worst economies in the world at the moment. It'll soon collapse.

In terms of empires, which the world was basically made up of at one point, it would definetly be the Romans. Close behind was the British Empire, which may have been bigger than the Roman Empire, but not as powerful.

BBS Signature