New Topic Respond to this Topic
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 23rd, 2010 @ 12:41 AM Reply

I was a big fan of the very first Guild Wars, I remember buying it just about as soon as it came out... My younger brother and I both bought ourselves copies when we were young as hell, and played it constantly. I had many characters and fell in love with each and every one of them.
I just found out tonight that a Guild Wars 2 was being made, a Newgrounds friend told me to tell you the truth.

It sounds extremely bad ass, and I really can't wait for it... I haven't played Guild Wars in about two - three years, but I was looking at starting again tonight since said Newgrounder suggested I do. I lost my original account, etc. That doesn't matter.

The first game was absolutely awesome at the time, then came World of Warcraft which consumed literally months of game play from me. Well, that came to an end after a long time due to Blizzard charging for monthly game time, fuck them for that.
Guild Wars 2 has already been said to not charge monthly, and that is what made the first Guild Wars games excellent, they aren't all about the money which is great.

I hope I'm not the only one on here waiting for this game now, and I hope this thread can actually become popular. I want to see a lot of you guys playing this in the future, that would be nice.

The developers have no set date announced, but it is said to be coming out midyear of 2011 or something. I can't wait!

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

Raab
Raab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 05:15 AM Reply

I'm definitely waiting, too.
Were you big into GW... big enough to have a Hall of Monuments?

Here's the shit I've unlocked already for GW2.

BBS Signature
RDSchley
RDSchley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 09:44 AM Reply

Never played GW1, but I do know the company who's making it fairly well. It looks amazing. I won't say it's a WoW killer but it certainly won't bomb like APB or Warhammer as long as it does what it says it does.

Looks mighty fun.

It is ok to make fun of America. But if you make fun of any other country in a vague or joking way you get banned.

Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 10:19 AM Reply

At 10/27/10 05:15 AM, XxRobJohnsonxX wrote: I'm definitely waiting, too.
Were you big into GW... big enough to have a Hall of Monuments?

I WAS, but I haven't played in years until Valjylmyr gave me one of his old accounts. I had the game back in like, 2005 or whenever it came out, I got it near release. I only ended up getting two of the expansion packs before I got tired of it and then I stopped playing, that was after whenever Nightfall came out I believe... Then I started playing again for a bit, but found myself playing WoW more than anything. It was a bigger responsibility for me because I had to actually pay regularly for that game rather than just paying once, it was so much better in my eyes too.

Anyway, now that I don't play WoW and haven't for almost a year, I find myself getting bored and to my luck Valjylmyr gave me his old account, I can not thank him enough, even though it only has Prophecies, I'm still having a blast.

At 10/27/10 09:44 AM, RDSchley wrote: Never played GW1, but I do know the company who's making it fairly well. It looks amazing. I won't say it's a WoW killer but it certainly won't bomb like APB or Warhammer as long as it does what it says it does.

Guild Wars 1 is great, as I said above, I've played it a long time now minus that long gap where I quit for WoW.
It looks like it could possibly take over WoW in a way, the graphics look pretty stunning for an MMO, especially compared to WoW's graphics. They did add races which is nice because it will just make it that much more interesting of a game to play on the Asura, Charr, Norn, and Sylvari rather than only humans... So it will be a lot more interesting that the first Guild Wars and because of all the races it will require a lot of gameplay to get everything out of the game compared to just always being human, doing the same quests only as a different class/profession you know?

The character creation looks really nice too, how they go in depth in asking the questions and actually develop your characters personality, I thought that was pretty neat.
Anyway, that's all I got to say for now... Glad to see this thread finally got some replies. :)

Yeah, whatever.

iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 04:52 PM Reply

At 10/23/10 12:41 AM, EpicFail wrote: I just found out tonight that a Guild Wars 2 was being made

SERIOUSLY!?

I played a little bit of Guild Wars, and I'm looking really forward to Guild Wars 2, will probably pick it up in the future.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 04:59 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 04:52 PM, H-A-X-O-R-Z wrote:
At 10/23/10 12:41 AM, EpicFail wrote: I just found out tonight that a Guild Wars 2 was being made
SERIOUSLY!?

Well it's not like I was lying... I hadn't paid attention to the game for a while because I stopped playing the first for so long.

I played a little bit of Guild Wars, and I'm looking really forward to Guild Wars 2, will probably pick it up in the future.

I want to get it on release date, if I have a job or the money I'll probably pre-order if they do that.

Yeah, whatever.

Raab
Raab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 05:09 PM Reply

I'm kinda pissed that they keep pushing the release date back further and further.... but at least they are releasing more and more videos of the finished product.

Anyway... what profession did you play, Epic?
My main was Necromancer.

and for some reason I think you played Necro, too.... mainly because of the hairstyles.

Official Guild Wars 2 Thread

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 05:14 PM Reply

You're right Rob, my main is a Necromancer. When I first started I was a warrior, got him to 20 and then switched right away to Necromancer, that was on my first account.
The new one I have now I'm playing a Necromancer. They're just fancy, I like them more than other classes, probably them and Monks are my favorite. :)

As for them pushing back the release date, it does suck but it gives them more time to make it better, they're doing it for us, I mean... They could just release the game how it is and have a lot of people still buy it, but it wouldn't be as good you know... They want it to be the best it can be for everyone, so as much as I hate the wait, I know it's really worth it. It's just like server downtime for it being updated, it's shitty, but they're doing it to fix things up, and make things better.

Yeah, whatever.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 05:40 PM Reply

I've tried starting this thread too (twice actually), didn't work out too well.
This seems to be working, though.

I loved the original Guild Wars, my first character was a warrior, which I made over 4 years ago and it's second prof used to be elementalist, because I found out elementalists were cooler because they could make it rain fire.
Nearly 4 years after that, I started playing again, and found out elementalist should've been my profession all along.
I love making it rain fire and I love nuking, and GW2 seems to make that very awesome.

I played it on Gamescom, poorly only played for 10 minutes or so, but I crave for more.

Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 05:46 PM Reply

I'm jealous that you got a bit of a teaser.
I know the new AOE skills are kind of like WoW, you click on the map where you want it to go and I don't believe the first one had that feature, so making it rain fire and such will be a lot nicer. I enjoy doing that as well.
Can you tell us anything else about how it was?

Yeah, whatever.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 05:53 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 05:46 PM, EpicFail wrote: I'm jealous that you got a bit of a teaser.
I know the new AOE skills are kind of like WoW, you click on the map where you want it to go and I don't believe the first one had that feature, so making it rain fire and such will be a lot nicer. I enjoy doing that as well.
Can you tell us anything else about how it was?

The combat system feels very dynamic, I don't really know how to explain it but it feels more like an action game now, while still being very much an MMORPG.
I played a warrior in the demo (same as when I first played GuildWars, being sorry after choosing that for not picking an elementalist) and when I executed a skill to hit the monster, the skill automatically got replaced by a different skill for doing some kind of a chain attack for a few seconds.

The game is instanced, but not like the first GuildWars, more like Oblivion (Oblivion might be a source of inspiration for them by the way, "capital city like the spokes of a wheel" and the same composer) where you enter an instance for each city, but the outside world is huge and seamless (or so I've been told).

Haven't got the chance to see dynamic events, but the first quest was pretty epic, it felt a bit like the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare of MMO's.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 05:57 PM Reply

Oh, for the graphics:
It uses the same graphics engine as Guild Wars, plus some enhancements.
Ergo, very nice water effects and reflections like I haven't seen in any other game before.
The textures of course look very awesome.

The best part of the graphics however is that amazing style, that same style as from Guild Wars so that every object feels like it's put a shitload of attention to.

Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 06:04 PM Reply

I thought I read somewhere on the GW2 website that they weren't having the outside world instanced anymore? So you'll be running around with other people... Could be mistaken though, but I was looking forward to it.

Yeah, whatever.

Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 06:04 PM, EpicFail wrote: I thought I read somewhere on the GW2 website that they weren't having the outside world instanced anymore? So you'll be running around with other people... Could be mistaken though, but I was looking forward to it.

Yes, the outside world isn't instanced anymore and I didn't actually mean instanced (oops).
I meant seamless where I said instanced.

Valjylmyr
Valjylmyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 06:40 PM Reply

Ahh, yes, I'll definitely be buying GW2 on launch. Guild Wars is definitely my favorite MMO, I've been playing for a little over four years with about a three-year hiatus. So I've barely been actually playing a year.

But my account is over four years old still.
At 10/27/10 10:19 AM, EpicFail wrote: I haven't played in years until Valjylmyr gave me one of his old accounts.

You're welcome. :P

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 06:51 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 06:40 PM, Valjylmyr wrote:
You're welcome. :P

I can not thank you enough my friend.

Yeah, whatever.

Shnam
Shnam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 07:16 PM Reply

My main character is a ritualist but I haven't played in ages. If there is no rit in GW2 I am playing a Necro. Honestly they announced the game too damn early.

Thnx for the sig ParadoxVoid
i look like a ballplaya

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 07:16 PM, Shnam wrote: My main character is a ritualist but I haven't played in ages. If there is no rit in GW2 I am playing a Necro. Honestly they announced the game too damn early.

Torturing us :P
Oh well, builds up more hype for it I guess... Last I heard it was midyear 2011, but that can easily change... I hope it doesn't take much longer than that though.

Yeah, whatever.

Valjylmyr
Valjylmyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 08:12 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 07:16 PM, Shnam wrote: My main character is a ritualist but I haven't played in ages. If there is no rit in GW2 I am playing a Necro.

People think that the Rituatlist will pretty much become the Necromancer since their concepts are pretty similar. They both channel magic from dead spirits, so ANet will probably get lazy and give a bunch of Ritualist skills to the Necromancer and get rid of the Rit completely.

I really hope there's Dervishes in GW2. I love Dervish.

Also, if any of you still play GW1, we should all join the same guild if you're not tied to your current one.

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 08:29 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 08:12 PM, Valjylmyr wrote:
Also, if any of you still play GW1, we should all join the same guild if you're not tied to your current one.

Yeah, not only does the guild need more members, but it would be sweet to have more Newgrounders in it!

Yeah, whatever.

Raab
Raab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 28th, 2010 @ 04:34 AM Reply

At 10/27/10 08:12 PM, Valjylmyr wrote:
At 10/27/10 07:16 PM, Shnam wrote: My main character is a ritualist but I haven't played in ages. If there is no rit in GW2 I am playing a Necro.
People think that the Rituatlist will pretty much become the Necromancer since their concepts are pretty similar. They both channel magic from dead spirits, so ANet will probably get lazy and give a bunch of Ritualist skills to the Necromancer and get rid of the Rit completely.

As much as I love the GW1 Necro.... I honestly think they already fucked it up for GW2...
You gain the ability to come back to life after you are killed?

This either means that Necros are going to be weak, to the point where they need a self-res to compete.... or... They will be overpowered and nerfed within a week.

I want to make a Norn Ranger, a Charr Warrior, and a Human Necromancer... hbu guys?

Nah, I gave all my weapons armor and everything away to friends when I quit... and I uninstalled GW a loooong time ago. Otherwise I'd do it in a heartbeat.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 28th, 2010 @ 04:57 AM Reply

I did play the first Guild Wars for some time and it was really quite a good game. I've not really been following what's going on with the new game, but as long as it remains free to play like the first one was I will probably buy it.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Valjylmyr
Valjylmyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 28th, 2010 @ 06:21 AM Reply

At 10/28/10 04:57 AM, Dean wrote: I did play the first Guild Wars for some time and it was really quite a good game. I've not really been following what's going on with the new game, but as long as it remains free to play like the first one was I will probably buy it.

They've already announced there's no monthly fee. That's one of the things I love about this game.

BBS Signature
Shnam
Shnam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 28th, 2010 @ 06:57 AM Reply

I would join the guild but I would be active for like a week or two before I stop playing again. For some reason it happens every time.

Thnx for the sig ParadoxVoid
i look like a ballplaya

BBS Signature
liquidsnake024
liquidsnake024
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 28th, 2010 @ 07:15 AM Reply

how is guild wars 2. is it worth playing?

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 28th, 2010 @ 09:15 AM Reply

At 10/28/10 04:34 AM, XxRobJohnsonxX wrote: You gain the ability to come back to life after you are killed?

This either means that Necros are going to be weak, to the point where they need a self-res to compete.... or... They will be overpowered and nerfed within a week.

I think they're going to be the new healers rather than just a healer a bit, they'll be like the next monk.. I could be mistaken though, but it does kind of make sense since they raise the dead and all that, might as well be able to raise themselves after death... They'll probably be overpowered and then nerfed like you said... That's how I see it happening... I guess only time will tell, heh.

Yeah, whatever.

Idocreating
Idocreating
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 28th, 2010 @ 10:13 AM Reply

At 10/23/10 12:41 AM, EpicFail wrote: The first game was absolutely awesome at the time, then came World of Warcraft which consumed literally months of game play from me. Well, that came to an end after a long time due to Blizzard charging for monthly game time, fuck them for that.

HOW VERY DARE THEY CHARGE ME A SUBSCRIPTION FOR A CONSTANTLY UPDATED PRODUCT!

Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 28th, 2010 @ 10:20 AM Reply

At 10/28/10 10:13 AM, Idocreating wrote:
HOW VERY DARE THEY CHARGE ME A SUBSCRIPTION FOR A CONSTANTLY UPDATED PRODUCT!

Every MMO is constantly updated. Guild Wars didn't charge, Guild Wars 2 isn't going to charge...

Yeah, whatever.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 28th, 2010 @ 10:47 AM Reply

At 10/28/10 10:20 AM, EpicFail wrote: Every MMO is constantly updated. Guild Wars didn't charge, Guild Wars 2 isn't going to charge...

This is the only reason the game really stands out for me and it's the only reason that I bought the first game. I don't mean to encourage people comparing this to WoW, although it's pretty inevitable, but I found WoW to be a much more interesting game from the little of it that I played. It seemed to have a LOT more content, but then I suppose that's why people feel the monthly fee is justified and why it has such a huge community.

If Guild Wars 2 wants to dethrone World of Warcraft, there's a lot it will need to achieve, and it's stuff that I don't see how that can really achieve without charging players a monthly fee.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Official Guild Wars 2 Thread Oct. 28th, 2010 @ 11:14 AM Reply

Yeah, WoW definitely has so much more to offer, I won't deny that at all, and I do agree that that's why they do the monthly fee. I was saying earlier in this thread that there is basically endless things you can do in WoW.
Guild Wars never had anything like Dungeons, Raids, not many REAL bosses to fight, and all that stuff. The character customization is limited compared to WoW, and there's so much more that WoW has that it doesn't.

Guild Wars 2 probably won't beat WoW, but it will still be a good game in comparison but most likely not better, if they knew it was better than WoW they would charge for it monthly.
But, regardless it will be a great game there is no doubt in my mind about that.

Yeah, whatever.