Be a Supporter!

People offended by words.

  • 558 Views
  • 22 Replies
New Topic
Dragonberry
Dragonberry
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:15:40

Gay. Homo. Faggot. Retarded.

Those are 4 WORDS. They don't cause any physical harm at all. I'm sick of people (namely people who are gay to begin with) who get offended by something they actually are, and preach how proud they are that they're gay. I really don't give a shit if someone is gay or not, but when they get offended by the word gay, which they are, it's very hypocritical of them. Also, when people say not to call retarded people RETARDED. Should I not call the president the president either? Because that's what he is. GAY people are GAY, and RETARDED people are RETARDED.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:18:13

Disabled, not retarded.

It's not fucking hard to say that instead is it? 'Retard' is a cruel harsh word that describes those kind of people in a light they don't deserve. They are disabled or mentally handicapped.

That's the only word I do actually find offensive, because like I said they don't deserve it. They have no control over themselves and people should respect that more and be kinder.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Struggle
Struggle
  • Member since: Apr. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:19:11

And niqqers are niqqers, right?
Respect everyone lol.


BBS Signature
WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:19:58

Humans are interactive creatures, even the most isolated figures in society have some form of interaction - even if it's substituted by talking to oneself, or another abiotic/biotic companion. Saying that, words hurt because when an individual states a negative comment regarding another individual, it not only stems into the destruction of the recipient's conscious, but delves into the fundamental desire to maintain that level of interaction.

We say hurtful things because as imperfect creatures, we tend to state imperfect things. In many regards, humans are ego-centric in the field of interpretation and deliverance. Some people have exceedingly well pronounced consciouses that help them when trying not to undermine an individual, but all in all, we state the things we do because we lack the desire to ponder on the consequences or because the individual we're saying hurtful things doesn't hold enough consensus in our minds to make us consider their feelings.

Dragonberry
Dragonberry
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:20:54

At 10/16/10 05:18 PM, Gagsy wrote: Disabled, not retarded.

It's not fucking hard to say that instead is it? 'Retard' is a cruel harsh word that describes those kind of people in a light they don't deserve. They are disabled or mentally handicapped.

That's the only word I do actually find offensive, because like I said they don't deserve it. They have no control over themselves and people should respect that more and be kinder.

Medically, they're mentally retarded. Or excuse me, mentally "disabled". That's like saying "the N-word" instead of [blocked by BBS] . EVERYONE knows you mean [blocked by BBS], so saying "the N-Word" is just as bad.

Struggle
Struggle
  • Member since: Apr. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:21:36

At 10/16/10 05:18 PM, Gagsy wrote: have no control over themselves

Well, even if someone has control over what they choose to do, aren't they free to be whatever they want? As long as it isn't harming anyone, anyway.

Also; I'd say that you are born gay. No choice over that one.
Or born black.


BBS Signature
Ptero
Ptero
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:21:45

I doesn't matter WHY those words are offensive, it matters that they are. It may not make sense to you, but that doesn't mean saying those words are acceptable. There are many non-offensive alternatives to those words.

Dragonberry
Dragonberry
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:23:36

At 10/16/10 05:21 PM, Struggle wrote: Also; I'd say that you are born gay. No choice over that one.
Or born black.

I'd agree with that, the end of your life is pretty much determined, you will die. Therefore, whatever you're like, you were born to be like, or else you wouldn't be like that. Sexual orientation, race, everything is a fact about a person.

Yrtnej
Yrtnej
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:25:29

How would you feel if you were a retarded gay homo faggot and people made fun of you just for being who you were?

I bet it wouldn't feel nice.
Dragonberry
Dragonberry
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:27:12

At 10/16/10 05:25 PM, Yrtnej wrote: How would you feel if you were a retarded gay homo faggot and people made fun of you just for being who you were?

I bet it wouldn't feel nice.

I didn't say shit about making fun of people dummy. I said describing them as they are. If I were gay and retarded, I would expect to be called gay and retarded. Now poking fun at me because I am, however, is not acceptable. For anyone. Gay or straight. Retarded or not.

Struggle
Struggle
  • Member since: Apr. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:28:26

At 10/16/10 05:23 PM, Dragonberry wrote: I'd agree with that, the end of your life is pretty much determined, you will die. Therefore, whatever you're like, you were born to be like, or else you wouldn't be like that. Sexual orientation, race, everything is a fact about a person.

Exactly, and for this reason I don't see a reason to discriminate or hate people for how they're born. I guess to figure out why certain words are offensive to certain groups of people is to figure out why "fuck" and other cuss words are deemed derogatory; but the fact remains is that they're held under that light. This is why it's probably best to just stay away from words that commonly offend people, lol.


BBS Signature
WizMystery
WizMystery
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:31:33

Stop anihilating meaning!

*Cry*

I don't see why people even want to take the desensitization route. I honestly think that some words should affect people with a large intensity, otherwise there would be no way to sum up how we feel.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:33:20

At 10/16/10 05:20 PM, Dragonberry wrote:
Medically, they're mentally retarded. Or excuse me, mentally "disabled". That's like saying "the N-word" instead of [blocked by BBS] . EVERYONE knows you mean [blocked by BBS], so saying "the N-Word" is just as bad.

The use of the words 'mental retardation' is different to the use of the word 'retard' though. People in the profession of dealing with 'intellectual disabled' people don't use that word, because it is deemed offensive after years and years of it being used negatively to put down people in that kind of condition.

That is why I don't like that word.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
slayer1029
slayer1029
  • Member since: Oct. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:42:31

At 10/16/10 05:33 PM, Gagsy wrote:
At 10/16/10 05:20 PM, Dragonberry wrote:
Medically, they're mentally retarded. Or excuse me, mentally "disabled". That's like saying "the N-word" instead of [blocked by BBS] . EVERYONE knows you mean [blocked by BBS], so saying "the N-Word" is just as bad.
The use of the words 'mental retardation' is different to the use of the word 'retard' though. People in the profession of dealing with 'intellectual disabled' people don't use that word, because it is deemed offensive after years and years of it being used negatively to put down people in that kind of condition.

That is why I don't like that word.

You fail to acknowledge that people don't like being called these things because of the negative connotation the words you are talking about have been given. Besides, gay people don't object to you telling them they're gay, they know they are. But when you use "gay" to describe something negative, it offends them. Its as if you said being gay is a negative thing.

The words fag and homo typically have a negative connotation when used. Hence why they don't like being called them. Faggot is a fairly common insult among our generation. Any other use it may have had before is dated and unused. It's either used to insult somebody, or as an attack on a gay person. Rarely if ever, is fag used to directly mean homosexual, without any negativity attached. Same with homo. People say use it as an adjective to describe shitty situations. Hence, when you call somebody a homo, it can carry a negative association. Or they'll be offended that it's used to describe something in a negative light.

And calling somebody who's actually mentally handicapped "retarded" is deemed offensive as well. Why? Because you call EVERYTHING retarded. That stupid kid who fails all of his tests? He must be retarded or something. Your neighbors call the cops because of a noise complaint about your party? Dude, thats retarded.

They have no control over the fact that they have a condition. And you constantly use a word that previously was used to describe their condition as an insult and a negative thing in every instance. Of course they will take offense at it.

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:44:46

well i thought we were talking about words in general

sure racism, sexism, xenoism and homophobia are bad because your putting erm down for who/what they are

while me being called a cunt aint that bad


my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
Kanon
Kanon
  • Member since: Nov. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Gamer
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:47:50

At 10/16/10 05:19 PM, Struggle wrote: And niqqers are niqqers, right?
Respect everyone lol.

Actually refraining myself frm saying the word itself but, the original name back during the american civil war era, it was a racist term for african american slaves. As of today it means nothing more than a lazy person or someone who refuses to get a job. Simpler terms a moocher, although it's hard to find the proper definition because so many refere back to the slave name for the word.


PSN: Tysonizer, Best Thread of 2012.

BBS Signature
Raab
Raab
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 17:48:47

Although many people find offense in the words, gay, faggot, homo, etc.

The words are rarely used to describe one's sexuality in today's world.

Something is gay if it is lame.

Someone is a homo, is gay, is a fag... if they are lame or if they are a loser/douchebag etc.

Evolution of Fag:
a bundle of sticks -> a cigarette -> a homosexual -> a loser

But that doesn't mean it won't offend people.


BBS Signature
Sh0T-D0wN
Sh0T-D0wN
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 18:00:03

"But why should I object to that term, sir? You see, in our century we've learned not to fear words."

If only, if only.

People offended by words.


BBS Signature
High-Dark
High-Dark
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 18:04:22

i wonder why people get insulted by only those four words

DillePickle
DillePickle
  • Member since: Jan. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 18:07:39

Just like physical actions words have meaning as well. Don't assume just because you are saying them that they shouldn't.


The only thing you can be certain about is uncertainty.

Dragonberry
Dragonberry
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 18:10:55

You spaddelclanker! Tell me who was hurt by that. Aha, that would be rhetorical, because no one was, because it's a word.

reverend
reverend
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to People offended by words. 2010-10-16 18:13:32

It's all about the intention of how you say those words. Some people when they say those words mean it to be a slur while other don't; it's just the intention of the person who is speaking it on whether it's meant to be hateful. You can call gay people a hypocrite for using those words all you want but it's the fact they aren't using it in a hateful manner is the difference.

PS: 'Faggot' is not to be said on the BBS. Period.


Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature