00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MagDeWarrior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0

14,106 Views | 172 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-04 16:37:26

__The Official Wii Virtual Console Thread__

Hello my fellow gamers. If you knew about the Wii Virtual Console thread that I started, you will know that I kept it constantly updated. I started to slow down when updating it though, so I thought that I would revive it, but looking back at where it started it was such a mess that I thought it would be nice to create a brand new thread.

If you were used to the later updates then there won't be much of a chance here. However the rules will remain the same. Keep in mind that some of these are BBS Rules, but I feel I should mention them here as well, because in the last thread it was quite obvious that some didn't know the BBS Rules.

FEATURES
1. Virtual Console Updates
2. Coming Soon to Virtual Console
3. Editor's Pick

RULES
1. No Discussion of WiiWare Titles

There is nothing wrong with WiiWare Titles, but they are stand alone games and should constitute their own threads, remember this is a Wii Virtual Console thread not a Wii Shop Channel thread.

2. No Discussion of Piracy/ROMS
This includes linking to ROMS, emulators, or other websites with intent for hacking such as Wii Homebrew Channel

3. No Discussion of titles outside Virtual Console
If the game you are discussing is related to that of a Virtual Console game then it is okay, if not then please keep the discussion to its own thread or within the Video Game Regulars Lounge.

Guide To Nintendo Virtual Console
1. Connect Nintendo Wii to the Internet
2. Purchasing Nintendo Wii Points
3. Complete List of Virtual Console Games

If you're living in a different region other than the United States chances are you will receive different games. If you do not live within the United States then please choose a different region through this list.

VIRTUAL CONSOLE UPDATE

Mario Tennis
Publisher: Nintendo
System: Nintendo 64
Genre: Sports
Cost: 1,000 Wii Points

The Mushroom Kingdom welcomes another sport to its lineup in the Nintendo 64 smash, Mario Tennis. In addition to the bright graphics and intuitive, but incredibly tight, controls that all Mario games are known for, a cast of 16 Nintendo characters (including the introduction of Waluigi) is ready to take to the court. Along with the ability to unnerve an opponent by varying shots and precisely target their destination, each character has specific attributes in categories such as speed, power, and control, all of which combines to offer multiple play styles to choose from.

Recommended Titles
Mario Golf, Tennis, and NES Open Tournament Golf

Aero The Acrobat
Publisher: Sunsoft
System: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Genre: Action, Platformer
Cost: 800 Wii Points

The madman industrialist Edgar Ektor has seized control of the World of Amusement. He and a deranged cast of fairground freaks threaten the circus. The only hope for survival is the high-flying, death-defying Aero the acrobat! Spine-tingling terror unfolds as Aero tackles Ektor's wicked henchmen.

Recommended Titles
Pulseman, Castlevania Rondo of Blood, and Milon's Secret Castle

UFOURIA: THE SAGA
System: Nintendo Entertainment System
Genre: Action, Adventure
Cost: 600 Wii Points

Join Bop Louie as he searches for his three friends-Shades, Freeon Leon and Gil-to help him complete his mad scramble. It won't be easy. Brain-boggling mazes, traps and bizarre pitfalls stand in your way back to Ufouria. You'll rely on your friends to survive in this strange, changing world. But beware. You better have the right powers for the strange worlds you'll encounter...or you lose.

Recommended Titles
Dungeon Explorer, Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, and DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure

SAMURAI SHODOWN III
Publisher: D4 Enterprise
System: NEGOGEO
Genre: Fighting
Cost: 900 Wii Points

Though this is the third installment in the series, the story takes place between the first and second installments. Players can choose from 12 samurai seeking to defeat Zankuro Minazuki. Along with minor upgrades from the last version, such as the ability to press buttons to fill your rage gauge and the ability to defend in midair, you can also select from slash and bust personality types for each character.

Aero The Acrobat 2
Genre: Action, Platformer

The aerialist extreme, Aero the Acro-Bat, bounds back into the spotlight once again to stop the wicked industrialist, Edgar Ektor! Aero has entered a new realm of enchantment and must now use all of his acrobatic prowess to foil a criminal plot known only as "Plan B."

Recommended Titles
Aero The Acrobat, Castlevania, and Bonk's Adventure

COMING SOON TO THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Mario Party 2
Genre: Party

The second edition includes 5 new boards, each with a specific theme, such as Space Land, Western Land, Horror Land, and Mystery Land. Each board includes unique attributes in relation to the theme, but the main goal is the same: complete the board game over a certain amount of moves and be the player to have the most coins and/or stars at the end.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-04 21:25:05

I wish there were a way to find out what games were released between now, and the last time you updated the previous thread.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-05 11:50:08

At 10/4/10 09:25 PM, Gustavos wrote: I wish there were a way to find out what games were released between now, and the last time you updated the previous thread.

Your wish is my command.

Shadow of the Ninja
Publisher: Natsume
Genre: Action
Cost: 500 Wii Points

Get ready for furious side-scrolling, platforming ninja action! The mad emperor, Garuda, holds the city trapped in his diabolical claws. Only two brave ninja warriors dare to stand against him. They move as silently as shadows in the snow, swift and graceful as the wind, and strike with the explosive fury of razor-clawed tigers! Playing solo or co-op with a friend, you'll slice, bomb, and shuriken your way through Garuda's army of vicious soldiers, agile ninjas, and monstrous robots.

Recommended Titles
Ninja Gaiden, Super C, and Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

Wild Guns
Genre: Shooter

It's the wildest west you've ever seen in this action packed 3rd-person shooter! The Kid gang and their army of robots have taken over the town! The only ones who can stop them are Clint, a tough-as-nails bounty hunter, and Annie, a beautiful-but-deadly woman with a serious score to settle. Blast your way through villainous outlaws, diabolical robots, and towering, screen-filling bosses either by yourself or with a friend at your side in the 2-player co-op mode.

Recommended Titles
Super Star Soldier, R-Type, and Contra III: The Alien Wars

Zaxxon
Publisher: Sega of America
System: Virtual Console Arcade
Genre: Shooter, Arcade

Fly through heavily armored space fortresses, strafing fuel tanks, dodging walls, and blowing up enemy missiles and gunnery. This game is littered with explosions. Then take the fight to the enemy fighter fleet and destroy the aggressor ships with extreme prejudice. Blasting pixels has never been so fun.

Recommended Titles
Life Force, IRONCLAD, and GAPLUS

HALLOWEEN THEME GAMES

This is the month of October and thus it's that spooky time of year. Video games have some scary atmospheres and settings, so why not celebrate this time with some Halloween games for download and play?

1. Castlevania
2. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
3. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
4. Super Castlevania IV
5. Castlevania Rondo of Blood
6. Splatterhouse
7. SPLATTERHOUSE 2
8. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
9. Ghosts'n Goblins
10. Ghoul Patrol
11. Ghouls'n Ghosts
12. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
13. Devil's Crush

There are thirteen games for the spooky month of Halloween. I hope you all enjoy and of course I will keep you updated.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-05 19:23:39

At 10/4/10 04:37 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
Mario Party 2

This probably the strangest thing Nintendo has ever announced. Why wouldn't they go in chronological order with the Mario Party games?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-06 09:06:06

At 10/5/10 07:23 PM, puddinN64 wrote: This probably the strangest thing Nintendo has ever announced. Why wouldn't they go in chronological order with the Mario Party games?

Well Mario Party 2 improved on a lot of things the original Mario Party did and brought back some of the older mini-games, that and Nintendo once got complaints about some of the mini-games in the first Mario Party where you had to rotate the control stick, people were getting blisters on their hands. However the original Mario Party is still a lot of fun to play, glad I still have Mario Party, Mario Party 2, and Mario Party 3 for my N64.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-06 09:24:48

VIRTUAL CONSOLE UPDATE

Fatal Fury 3: Road to the Final Victory
Publisher: D4 Enterprise
System: NEOGEO
Genre: Fighting
Cost: 900 Wii Points

Released in 1995, this is the fourth title in the Fatal Fury series of beat 'em up games. Previous releases in the Fatal Fury series utilized a two-plane battle system allowing you to move and fight between the foreground and background planes on-screen. This has been revamped from previous Fatal Fury titles to a three-plane format (foreground, background and main plane) known as the Oversway System. Characters will automatically move back to the main line after a certain period of time in the foreground or background planes. Other new features include Combination Arts (the ability to execute combo attacks with simple rhythmic button taps), Hidden Abilities (superior versions of the popular Special Moves and Super Special Moves from previous installments), and minor tweaks to all of the characters' Special Moves. This combination of features gives this episode the deepest strategies and tactics in the Fatal Fury series to date.

Recommended Titles
FATAL FURY, FATAL FURY 2, and FATAL FURY SPECIAL

Super Bonk
Publisher: Hudson
Genre: Action

The gameplay in this side-scrolling platformer adventure is similar to Bonk 3. Super Bonk allows Bonk to travel through time from the insides of a dinosaur, a version of modern Chinatown, and even the moon! Along the way, Bonk can find power-ups that can change his form to creatures such as a shooting Bonk crab, a dinosaur form called "Big Kronk", find candies that change his size from tiny to huge, travel through transportation tubes, and find multiple bonus levels.

Recommended Titles
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure, New Adventure Island, and Milon's Secret Castle

EDITOR'S PICK

Ys Book I & II
Publisher: NIHON FALCOM
System: TurboGrafx16
Genre: Action, RPG

Ys Book I & II chronicles the first adventures of Adol Christin, a young, red-haired swordsman, on his quest to unlock the secrets of an ancient kingdom. As Adol, you search the island of Esteria, gathering clues to unravel the mystery of Ys. Fight monsters that lurk in caves and towers with physical or magical attacks, and use your brain to make your way through dangerous areas filled with traps.

Recommended Titles
Dungeon Explorer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Sword of Vermillion

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-06 10:11:25

Sweet, the thread is back!

I didn't buy any Virtual Console games lately though. I bought the last one half a year ago. It was "Boogerman"

A freaking epic game.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-06 16:03:08

At 10/6/10 09:06 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 10/5/10 07:23 PM, puddinN64 wrote: This probably the strangest thing Nintendo has ever announced. Why wouldn't they go in chronological order with the Mario Party games?
Well Mario Party 2 improved on a lot of things the original Mario Party did and brought back some of the older mini-games, that and Nintendo once got complaints about some of the mini-games in the first Mario Party where you had to rotate the control stick, people were getting blisters on their hands. However the original Mario Party is still a lot of fun to play, glad I still have Mario Party, Mario Party 2, and Mario Party 3 for my N64.

Oh man I got such bad blisters from those mini-games. When you would try those mini-games just to beat the story mode (I loved the story mode even though there was no story at all). I was about 8 when I was playing this game, I want it released for wii. It was much, much better then Mario party 2.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-06 16:13:13

Any sign of GoldenEye coming?

If its not out within another week, then fuck it, I'll just buy an N64.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-06 16:22:21

At 10/6/10 04:13 PM, Jackho wrote: Any sign of GoldenEye coming?

Check this out

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-06 16:27:53

At 10/6/10 04:22 PM, Chiroz wrote:

Check this out

Rareware or GTFO. That is my response to the game.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-06 16:46:31

If you want the original N64 version then that is your best bet. However Goldeneye 007 is getting a sort of remake coming to the Nintendo Wii.

At 10/6/10 04:27 PM, KeroKeroMario wrote: Rareware or GTFO. That is my response to the game.

How about we wait until the game is released before judging it hm? Also let's keep the discussion on Virtual Console please.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-07 12:12:22

At 10/6/10 04:46 PM, The-Great-One wrote: However Goldeneye 007 is getting a sort of remake coming to the Nintendo Wii.

Yeah, but thats just an attempt to cash in on the success of the original.
Nomatter how good it is, it will never, ever compare to the original.
Besides, so far it just looks like Modern Warfare in a Bond skin.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-07 12:40:18

At 10/7/10 12:12 PM, Jackho wrote: Yeah, but thats just an attempt to cash in on the success of the original.
Nomatter how good it is, it will never, ever compare to the original.

Let's wait until it is released shall we. The original did wonderful things

Besides, so far it just looks like Modern Warfare in a Bond skin.

That's a pretty bad blow to a remake based off of what is considered to be the best FPS of all time. Again please keep the discussion limited to that of Virtual Console. If you want to discuss the remake then please take it to a different thread.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-07 16:41:14

So I just tried on a whim (after experiencing 3 years of technical difficulties), and my Wii finally decided to play nice with my houses WiFi. Previously, there had been some issues with our security protocol, but I guess one of the updates that came packed in with a game I recently bought fixed that.

This is pretty awesome, I'm excited to actually get access to all the great online features without having to lug my Wii to an ethernet port
Hope to participate some in this thread, soon! :D

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-07 16:47:22

GoldenEye 007 (the new, standalone Wii game) will be out on November 2.
However, due to licensing issues and legal tie-ups, the original GoldenEye 007 for the N64 wont be released over WiiWare at any time in the foreseeable future. Just go get an N64.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-07 17:49:02

At 10/7/10 04:41 PM, Samen wrote: Hope to participate some in this thread, soon! :D

Just tell me what you're on the look out for and I'll let you know ASAP.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-10 13:14:50

Publisher: Capcom
System: Virtual Console Arcade
Genre: Shooter

The year is 1942, and you are a daring fighter pilot "Super Ace". You begin and end each of the numerous levels on an aircraft carrier and then fly your plane into battle against the enemy over both sea and land. After destroying certain plane formations you can collect several different power ups to increase your fire power and chances of survival.

Recommended Titles
SUPER R-TYPE, AXELAY, and Super Thunder Blade

THE AKSYS GAMES NES SET
If you have 1500 Wii Points to blow and haven't picked up one of these games yet then I highly suggest you do. They're all wonderful 2-Player NES games that you and a friend can enjoy.

1. River City Ransom
2. Crash 'N The Boys Street Challenge
3. Super Dodge Ball

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-14 22:01:29

At 10/10/10 01:14 PM, The-Great-One wrote: COMING SOON TO THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Publisher: Capcom

This series has always baffled me. Why would the Japanese make games about noble American pilots who fought against them during WW2?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-14 22:14:25

At 10/14/10 10:01 PM, puddinN64 wrote: This series has always baffled me. Why would the Japanese make games about noble American pilots who fought against them during WW2?

The game was made 40 years later. Things were mended over time. Japan saw us as piggy bank ready to be broken. Plus it's still an awesome game.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-21 14:15:39

NEW TO THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Publisher: Square Enix
Genre: RPG

Return to a time of classic action and adventure. Young Benjamin embarks on a quest to reclaim the stolen crystals that are the key to balancing the four elements of the world. Experience this treasured game from the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and save the world once more!

Recommended Titles
Final Fantasy, FINAL FANTASY II, and Phantasy Star IV

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-21 23:17:23

Mario Party 2 = Must Buy
Hell, I already own the game for N64, but I want to give Nintendo more money for it again!
They did a damn good job on that game...
Anychance of 3DO games coming on the VC, like Battle Tanx: Global Assult?
I sure hope so...

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-22 21:46:58

Top Ten games I want to see on the American Virtual Console:

10. Popeye (Arcade, Nintendo, 1982)
9. Resident Evil 2 (N64, Capcom, 1999)
8. Mega Man 7 (SNES, Capcom, 1995)
7. Dr. Mario 64 (N64, Nintendo, 2001)
6. Mayhem in Monsterland (C64, Apex Computer Productions, 1993)
5. Donkey Kong 64 (N64, Nintendo, 1999)
4. Sunset Riders (Arcade, Konami, 1991)
3. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES, Tecmo, 1991)
2. The Simpsons Arcade Game (Arcade, Konami, 1991)
1. Earthbound (SNES, Nintendo, 1995)

Okay, some of these might be impossible to get on the Virtual Console due to legal or technological issues, but I can still dream, can't I? Who wouldn't want these games available for download?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-22 22:07:25

At 10/22/10 09:46 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Top Ten games I want to see on the American Virtual Console:

Alright let's see what I can dig up.

10. Popeye (Arcade, Nintendo, 1982)

Chances are this is a possibility, but I don't see why some people would want this game. Then again I want the NES game Nuts & Milk, but it's on Japan's Virtual Console.

9. Resident Evil 2 (N64, Capcom, 1999)

When it comes down to this game puddin it is on countless platforms. One being the N64 where I think it suffered the worst. The CGI cutscenes are terrible, it sucks playing this game with an N64 controller, plus you don't get the other cool stuff that you would normally get with the more enhanced versions of the game that you can find on the PlayStation and Nintendo Gamecube. Bottomline if you're hunting I'd just stick with the Nintendo Gamecube version if I were you. Again it is a possibility that this could get released on the Virtual Console.

8. Mega Man 7 (SNES, Capcom, 1995)

Yes. Do it! Do it now!

7. Dr. Mario 64 (N64, Nintendo, 2001)

I'm surprised Dr. Mario on the NES has yet to be released on the Virtual Console. Don't see why not. They gave us Donkey Kong Jr. Math and Pinball, don't see why we shouldn't get either Dr. Mario games.

6. Mayhem in Monsterland (C64, Apex Computer Productions, 1993)

Commodore 64, we will probably get it sometime down the line.

5. Donkey Kong 64 (N64, Nintendo, 1999)

A must want. Seeing how The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask went smoothly when released to the Virtual Console and it was an Expansion Pack game, then I don't see why we can't get Donkey Kong 64. I missed out playing this game the first time it came out and I'd like to take a second whack at it.

I know Microsoft owns Rare, but hey Rare made Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, and 3 and all of those are on Virtual Console, plus Donkey Kong is still Nintendo's character so Nintendo can release Donkey Kong 64.

4. Sunset Riders (Arcade, Konami, 1991)

Unknown.

3. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES, Tecmo, 1991)

Well here's Tecmo Bowl on the NES and here's TECMO BOWL on the Virtual Console Arcade

2. The Simpsons Arcade Game (Arcade, Konami, 1991)

Possibility. Unlikely though.

1. Earthbound (SNES, Nintendo, 1995)

Give it up puddin. It's never gonna happen.

Okay, some of these might be impossible to get on the Virtual Console due to legal or technological issues, but I can still dream, can't I? Who wouldn't want these games available for download?

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-10-22 22:08:29

At 10/22/10 10:05 PM, PleaseContinue wrote: TGO, I'm interested in knowing why you didn't recommend Ys Book I & II.

I did recommend Ys Book I & II. Scroll up some and you will see it as an EDITOR'S PICK in one of my updates.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-12-17 13:06:08

Hello everybody. I'm sorry for the late updates. Nintendo's site was being weird the last time I went to update it and I didn't realize that they made a change. I am sorry to say that I won't be giving the latest updates for what has come out now within my absence. Due to Nintendo's change I'm going to have to re-think my updates.

Again I'm sorry.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-12-17 16:36:29

I noticed Mario Party 2 was announced. Still not out yet? Because I want.

Xbox Live Gamertag: POTM

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-12-18 00:17:19

At 12/17/10 04:36 PM, Hemlok wrote: I noticed Mario Party 2 was announced. Still not out yet? Because I want.

I'd like to see it out, too, since those games are classics and if 2 comes out, then you know that Mario Party 3 (My favorite of the whole series) can't be too far behind.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-12-20 23:14:44

NEW TO THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Mario Party 2
Category: Action, Multiplayer

Get ready to party like it's the year 2000 all over again, complete with fancy costumes, bags of surprises, and games galore! Mario and his Mushroom Kingdom friends return for a brand-new round of Bowser-bashing board game action in Mario Party 2. Each of your favorite characters don different themed outfits to take part in five fun-packed Adventure Boards: Pirate Land, Western Land, Space Land, Mystery Land, and Horror Land. Then battle Bowser on his own specific board...if you're brave enough. Up to four players can play, traveling around the boards and competing in minigames for coins, while also using items to gain an advantage. Win the most stars and become the ultimate victor: the Super Star. Or, if you simply feel like proving your minigame mettle, visit Mini-Game Land to purchase and play minigames that you played during the game. Head to the Mini-Game Stadium and replay your favorites, including the Item, Battle, Duel, and Chance Time minigames!

Recommended Titles
Dungeon Explorer, THE TOWER OF DRUAGA, and SECRET OF MANA

COMING SOON TO VIRTUAL CONSOLE

S.C.A.T.: Special Cybernetic Attack Team
Category: Action
Cost: 500 Wii Points

In a humorous take on the eighties' sci-fi judgment day films, you either play Arnold or Sigourney in a mission to save the world. The year is 2029 and an alien invasion, led by Supreme Commander Vile Malmort, threatens the earth. The heroes are equipped with a jet pack and two orbiting cannons. These can be set to fire in one direction or in a fixed pattern. You can fly in all directions and use power-ups to gain new types of weapons or to restore health. Only seven lives per mission are provided, but there is an unlimited amount of continues.

Response to Wii Virtual Console Thread 2.0 2010-12-25 10:17:45

At 12/20/10 11:14 PM, The-Great-One wrote: NEW TO THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE

Mario Party 2

Am I the only one who's saddened by the fact that we're not going to see the first Mario Party on the Virtual Console because of those stupid analog control-stick spinning mini-games? I mean, I know they were a complete pain in the ass to play and caused a lot of people to hurt themselves, but still, that seems like a silly reason to deprive the Virtual Console of a perfectly good N64 game.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature