New Topic Respond to this Topic
Mason
Mason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 11:17 PM Reply

well this is interesting as there is a whole thread Rp'ing about the zombie apocalypse that I partake in. Maybe I'll do a related entry that high lights a certain encounter based through my story arc of said RP. Any thoughts on this?

Zombie rp is linked in my signature text

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 5th, 2010 @ 10:12 AM Reply

At 10/4/10 09:41 PM, BISMUTHCASTLE wrote: Sorry did I miss something? When is the deadline?

I don't judge on length alone
Are there any of your judging criteria that you'd be willing to share, or is that a secret?

I assume the deadline is Halloween.

And I'm not looking for anything specific really. Good spelling and grammar, good plot, good structure, interesting characters if applicable... that kinda thing.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 5th, 2010 @ 10:45 AM Reply

The entries really need to redo their entries with some proper paragraph spacing. Right now the thread just looks like a jumbled mess of words. :'(

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 5th, 2010 @ 01:30 PM Reply

20 pages? Damn. Props to the judges. I have nothing against short or long stories, as long as it's written well. I mentioned it simply because it seems more appropriate for this kind of contest. Of course, I'm basing this off of literary mags that I send my stories to. My most recent limited their stories to 750 words. (That's really hard, btw. I had to cut a lot of crap)

Also, technically speaking, a short story can be anywhere between 1,000 and 7,500 words. past that, up to 20,000 words would be a novelette.

Like Let's Plays? Click Down Below... *Winky Face*

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 5th, 2010 @ 03:08 PM Reply

At 10/5/10 10:45 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: The entries really need to redo their entries with some proper paragraph spacing. Right now the thread just looks like a jumbled mess of words. :'(

Well I blame myself about 90% and NewGrounds forums the other 10%. It was my fault for not exploring the NG forum format earlier, and I assume most people used a word processor (I used MS Word 2007). I wrote my entry in a screenplay format.
So, most of the dialogue was preceded by the character's name in bold. The actions and mood of the character were also in bold (actions with an *asterisk). The character's names were not indented, but the plot and extended thoughts were. The story was divided into 7 parts, each parts mostly dialogue except for part 3, which was 3 paragraphs, each properly indented. Also, there was a 1.5 space between each character line and each enter. On MS 2007 it was incredibly spaced out, ~12 pages long in 12 Times New Roman.
The transfer to the NG forum was horrible. All the bold and italics were gone, needing manual reentry. The 1.5 spaces were also gone and the indentations were all gone also. The whole story was stripped of format. And to make it worse, I could not fit two parts (except for the first post and last post) in one post. That led to 5 posts. I was too lazy (my bad) to highlight each character's name, action, and mood and bold it. To highlight each thought and italicize it. Instead I put an * in each mood and action and put he thought or she thought after every thought, hoping it would make sense to the reader. Here are some roguht-draft examples:
For example, this is how a story would look on MS word:

Edward: angry: "It's too bad..."lifts .45 "...it really is, I... I... love you." *gunshot.

Jasmine's head exploded from the sheer force of a .45 magnum round entering the crown of her head and proceeding trough the back of her skull, her brain already mush before spraying through the large gap. Her lifeless body dropped and Edward couldn't be happier.

The police arrived shortly thereafter.

Police Chief: not buying Edward's lie: "So she killed herself?"

Edward: somberly: "Yes."

Chief: sternly: "The gunshot wound is at an awkward angle, you do realize that son?"

Yes I do. Edward felt the extra .38 snub nose under his armpit; the police barely searched him. I shot her. He took off his coat. It was her fault. He took off his shirt. She killed herself!

Police Chief: shocked and confused "What are you doing!?" *reaches for his 9 mm.

Edward would make sure he could make it back to San Diego.
And this is how i posted it on NG:

Edward: angry: "It's too bad..." *lifts .45"...it really is, I... I... love you." *gunshot.
Jasmine's head exploded from the sheer force of a .45 magnum round entering the crown of her head and proceeding trough the back of her skull, her brain already mush before spraying through the large gap. Her lifeless body dropped and Edward couldn't be happier.
The police arrived shortly thereafter.
Police Chief: *not buying Edward's lie: "So she killed herself?"
Edgar: *somberly: "Yes."
Chief: *sternly: "The gunshot wound is at an awkward angle, you do realize that son?"
Yes I do he thought. Edward felt the extra .38 snub nose under his armpit; the police barely searched. I shot her. He took off his coat. It was her fault. He took off his shirt. She killed herself!
Police Chief: shocked and confused "What are you doing!?" *reaching for his 9mm.
Edward would make sure he could make it back to San Diego.

It really is a big difference. Change that to 70-30. Editing that short bit was like 5 minutes.

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 5th, 2010 @ 03:13 PM Reply

Also, why is editing/deleting a post, and indentation not allowed? I did not know this until a few days ago...

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 5th, 2010 @ 03:43 PM Reply

At 10/5/10 03:13 PM, DeftAndEvil wrote: Also, why is editing/deleting a post, and indentation not allowed? I did not know this until a few days ago...

Because very malicious things could be done with that ability. :o

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 5th, 2010 @ 05:05 PM Reply

At 10/5/10 10:45 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: The entries really need to redo their entries with some proper paragraph spacing. Right now the thread just looks like a jumbled mess of words. :'(

I concur

Mine looked alright in word but none of my indentations translated

MattyT
MattyT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 6th, 2010 @ 03:59 AM Reply

Okay starting my entry tonight. I didn't think I would be able to come with a decent Halloween or horror story in time but I think what I've thought out so far is pretty solid actually. All I'll say about my story is that its going to draw from the perspective of three different people throughout one Halloween night.

I'm glad that it looks like heaps more people are going to get involved in this competition.

I write. I voice act. Drop me a PM. Sig by Ejit

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 6th, 2010 @ 11:44 AM Reply

Hmm, I haven't entered a writing competition in a while, and it might be fun to give it a shot. But this one seems different from the one's that used to be hosted, where there were much more restrictions on word limits and the theme etc.. There's no word limit this time? The story could really be anywhere from 2 words to 10 thousand words?

It seems like most of the awesome writers are judging this one, so we might actually have a shot at this!

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 6th, 2010 @ 05:18 PM Reply

It was the Monthly Writing Challenges that had tighter restrictions on theme and word count. These are special entries to go along with the art, flash, and music that the rest of Newgrounds is putting out, and the lack of restrictions is really good to let people's minds run wild and free.

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 10:37 AM Reply

I've just started a story for this competition as well as I haven't entered one in a long time now! It is an amalgamation of a number of horror classics (as well as a few other film references thrown in for good measure), and stars some very familiar characters... Hopefully it will meet with a good reception.

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Mason
Mason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 09:18 PM Reply

can I post multiple entries? or is that barred? I have quite possibly the only zombie poem in existence.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 09:29 PM Reply

At 10/7/10 09:18 PM, Bloodspade wrote: can I post multiple entries? or is that barred? I have quite possibly the only zombie poem in existence.

You can make as many as you want. The thing is for competitions the idea is to post things that you have original created for this competition. So please don't post things that you haven't written prior to this date. I know it's hard for us to stop that as we really don't know, but it's the idea of having a deadline and whatnot.

BBS Signature
Mason
Mason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 09:38 PM Reply

At 10/7/10 09:29 PM, Fro wrote:
At 10/7/10 09:18 PM, Bloodspade wrote: can I post multiple entries? or is that barred? I have quite possibly the only zombie poem in existence.
You can make as many as you want. The thing is for competitions the idea is to post things that you have original created for this competition. So please don't post things that you haven't written prior to this date. I know it's hard for us to stop that as we really don't know, but it's the idea of having a deadline and whatnot.

Right I got you but this is a really good one, not really scary though. more situational.

Zombies really aren't scary they are just kinda menacing at best and goofy at worst

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 10:50 PM Reply

I think I might skip this contest now. I think my chances at pumpkin carving are higher.

Oh, and pumpkin seeds are delicious.
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 11:30 PM Reply

As far as I'm aware you can only have one entry. That entry can take up multiple posts, but I think you should only be able to enter a singular piece.

And I have an entire book of zombie Haiku sitting on my desk. There are zombie poems already in existence.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 11:40 PM Reply

At 10/7/10 11:30 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
As far as I'm aware you can only have one entry. That entry can take up multiple posts, but I think you should only be able to enter a singular piece.

If I'm not mistaken there were people in the Robot Day competition that had submitted more than one story. I guess that's up to us though. I honestly don't care how many submissions they have, but if it's a common vote that there should only be one then I won't mind.

BBS Signature
Mason
Mason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 02:55 AM Reply

At 10/7/10 11:40 PM, Fro wrote:
At 10/7/10 11:30 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
If I'm not mistaken there were people in the Robot Day competition that had submitted more than one story. I guess that's up to us though. I honestly don't care how many submissions they have, but if it's a common vote that there should only be one then I won't mind.

ok I would just like to know before hand because I don't want to be disqualified for a rule I specifically asked about. I'll keep checking in for the latest ruling

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 04:00 AM Reply

I might give this a try. There's a few ideas kicking around in my head. Two quick questions:

1. How strictly are you taking the word "story"? Would something more lyrical or abstract be out of the question?

2. Does it have to involve the supernatural? Does it even have to be scary or horror-related? Can it be about Halloween the holiday as opposed to Halloween the things-that-go-bump-in-the-night thematic concept?

My ideas could go either way, so s'all good.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: O Lucky Man! (Anderson, 1973, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 07:24 AM Reply

At 10/8/10 04:00 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: I might give this a try. There's a few ideas kicking around in my head. Two quick questions:

1. How strictly are you taking the word "story"? Would something more lyrical or abstract be out of the question?

It doesn't really have to be a story. It can be a poem, but obviously if your poem doesn't tell a story in itself then it won't be very interesting. I'm sure you knew that though, just putting it out there.

2. Does it have to involve the supernatural? Does it even have to be scary or horror-related? Can it be about Halloween the holiday as opposed to Halloween the things-that-go-bump-in-the-night thematic concept?

It doesn't have to involve the supernatural. I've already read stories that didn't involve the supernatural. It doesn't have to be scary or horror related as long as it's related to Halloween. It can be a comedy or any other style as long as it's related.

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 02:53 PM Reply

If people have entered multiple entries in the past, then precedence would take priority here, unless otherwise stated by one of the staff members running this.

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 10th, 2010 @ 01:57 AM Reply

At 10/8/10 02:53 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
If people have entered multiple entries in the past, then precedence would take priority here, unless otherwise stated by one of the staff members running this.

I think it would be fine for multiple entries. However, I think it would only be fair that only one of their stories may win a prize.

Like Let's Plays? Click Down Below... *Winky Face*

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 10th, 2010 @ 09:48 AM Reply

At 10/10/10 01:57 AM, JaShinYa wrote:
At 10/8/10 02:53 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:

Here's my opinion based off of some facts. For the flash section of this competition they are allowed to submit more than one entry. For the audio portion of this competition they are allowed to submit multiple entries. For the art competition they can submit more than one piece.

Why should the literature portion only be limited to one?

I think it would be fine for multiple entries. However, I think it would only be fair that only one of their stories may win a prize.

Yes, of course.

BBS Signature
WritersBlock
WritersBlock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 20th, 2010 @ 02:23 AM Reply

I'm contemplating whipping up a short bizarro story, 'Windowfucker', about a guy made of glass trying to get people to see him, rather than just see 'through' him. There's plenty of room there for cultural commentary, and also for some freaky ass shit to go down.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE
Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature
RabidSquirrelStudios
RabidSquirrelStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 20th, 2010 @ 04:58 PM Reply

Don't use MS Word, it's basically the ONLY program where one enter turns into two. Or just turn the option off, simple choice.

Any idea when the results are gonna be up? I just don't want it to take till February. <3

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 20th, 2010 @ 05:31 PM Reply

At 10/20/10 04:58 PM, RabidSquirrelStudios wrote:
Any idea when the results are gonna be up? I just don't want it to take till February. <3

Well we can't have the results in until the competition is over. The competition is obviously over on Halloween and we still have a lot of time till then. (In terms of how many stories can be in) When the last competition was over it only took about a week for the results to be in.

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 20th, 2010 @ 11:26 PM Reply

At 10/20/10 04:58 PM, RabidSquirrelStudios wrote: Don't use MS Word, it's basically the ONLY program where one enter turns into two. Or just turn the option off, simple choice.

wow, you are right. goddamn you microsoft!

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 20th, 2010 @ 11:49 PM Reply

At 10/20/10 04:58 PM, RabidSquirrelStudios wrote: Any idea when the results are gonna be up? I just don't want it to take till February. <3

It's not even over, relax. Besides if you look at how the other Newgrounds wide competitions have gone the results should be up shortly after the end.

RabidSquirrelStudios
RabidSquirrelStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 21st, 2010 @ 01:15 AM Reply

At 10/20/10 11:49 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
At 10/20/10 04:58 PM, RabidSquirrelStudios wrote: Any idea when the results are gonna be up? I just don't want it to take till February. <3
It's not even over, relax. Besides if you look at how the other Newgrounds wide competitions have gone the results should be up shortly after the end.

Oh I was just asking because the MWC generally takes a few months. I mean, I don't even mind that much. Just...curious.