TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 04:54 PM Reply

This is the companion thread to the Halloween 2010 Lit Submission thread. Please keep discussions, questions and ideas in this thread and only use the submission thread for final submissions.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 05:07 PM Reply

Anyone that would like to judge, please post / read here!

Is that alright Tom?

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 05:25 PM Reply

At 10/1/10 05:07 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Anyone that would like to judge, please post / read here!

As I said in that thread, there's already a list.

However, it will be interesting to see what comes up out of this. I won't be entering so that I can help with judging. Good luck to everyone entering, and hopefully we get to see some good creepy stories.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 06:04 PM Reply

Yeah, I would enjoy judging this one. I'd actually enjoy entering it more than I would judging, but I have enough things to write for college as it is. It doesn't take nearly as long to judge as it does to write a good story so I'll stick to judging again.

BBS Signature
SteakandKidneyPie
SteakandKidneyPie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 06:46 PM Reply

This is gonna be fun.

Do you need $10 000 in cash for a 30 second animation? Click here

Jonimator
Jonimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 08:46 PM Reply

i have a feeling i won't be animating anything for this halloween but i think i might join in on the writing
oh boy i love the holidays

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 09:12 PM Reply

I plan on helping with the judging. After a few months of putting off my own work to try and put something together for various contests, I realized I enjoyed working on my own thing, and would rather support the various events that are happening around here.

At 10/1/10 08:46 PM, Jonimator wrote: i have a feeling i won't be animating anything for this halloween but i think i might join in on the writing
oh boy i love the holidays

Good luck if you decide to do so. More importantly, enjoy yourself.

Spysociety
Spysociety
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 11:48 PM Reply

I'm interested in write up a story to NG halloween, I already was thinking on this some months ago and I'm already programming a game for it.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 2nd, 2010 @ 09:34 AM Reply

At 10/1/10 11:48 PM, Spysociety wrote: I'm interested in write up a story to NG halloween, I already was thinking on this some months ago and I'm already programming a game for it.

Let me suggest you have someone translate it for you and fix your grammar/spelling then. I know when I'm talking to you on MSN I really have to struggle to figure out what you are talking about sometimes. :P I won't be able to fix your mistakes and everything because I'll be judging so you'll have to find someone else to do it.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 2nd, 2010 @ 01:24 PM Reply

I don't like these poem entries... they're just too easy to make.

BUT ANYWAYS, I'm exctied to get STARTED.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 2nd, 2010 @ 01:33 PM Reply

At 10/2/10 01:24 PM, Makeshift wrote: I don't like these poem entries... they're just too easy to make.

Easy? A good poem is hardly easy to create by any means. Just because they're shorter doesn't mean they don't take a lot of work and effort to create. That being said, I hate having to judge and compare a poem and short stories in the same competition. It's so hard comparing things that are so different.

Anyway, I've also decided to enter the competition. I'll be judging as well so obviously I won't vote for myself when everything is over.

BBS Signature
FourSwordsKing
FourSwordsKing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Programmer
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 2nd, 2010 @ 09:14 PM Reply

Are little tid-bits of your story aloud to be previewed by our audience? Like, here in the thread?

I would like to get some general feed-back of what everyone would think of my story so far.

Help the poor! Help the hungry in Africa!

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 2nd, 2010 @ 09:23 PM Reply

At 10/2/10 09:14 PM, FourSwordsKing wrote: Are little tid-bits of your story aloud to be previewed by our audience? Like, here in the thread?

I would like to get some general feed-back of what everyone would think of my story so far.

Yes, you can do that. I had another user proofread my Robot Day story.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 3rd, 2010 @ 04:40 AM Reply

Man, I am jazzed up for this

Never have I felt quite so excited about an idea as I do for this contest

I really hope I can get it to come together for me

RapeMuffin
RapeMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 3rd, 2010 @ 04:57 PM Reply

Is there any other guidance or parameters for this competition?

BBS Signature
DrMoxley
DrMoxley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 3rd, 2010 @ 05:37 PM Reply

Who is judging this?

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 3rd, 2010 @ 06:01 PM Reply

At 10/3/10 04:57 PM, RapeMuffin wrote: Is there any other guidance or parameters for this competition?

Nope.

At 10/3/10 05:37 PM, DrMoxley wrote: Who is judging this?

I know that sinfulwolf and I are judging the competition. I don't know who the other judges are, but sinfulwolf and I were actually the only ones who managed to judge in the last competition if I'm not mistaken.

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 3rd, 2010 @ 07:18 PM Reply

I suppose I could write something.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
DrMoxley
DrMoxley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 3rd, 2010 @ 08:01 PM Reply

Right on.

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 3rd, 2010 @ 11:11 PM Reply

Well it's finally finished

I can only hope it works out well for me

I feel good about it

But I expect to see much better in the near future

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 01:34 AM Reply

At 10/3/10 06:01 PM, Fro wrote:
At 10/3/10 05:37 PM, DrMoxley wrote: Who is judging this?
I know that sinfulwolf and I are judging the competition. I don't know who the other judges are, but sinfulwolf and I were actually the only ones who managed to judge in the last competition if I'm not mistaken.

Yer not mistaken Fro. Aside from Tom himself we managed to squeeze into the timeline. It was fairly last minute though, and Tom wasn't exactly at the top of his game having to recover from sickness and jet lag to get things properly sorted. In the end it worked and he's got a few other names aside from me and ye for this month I believe.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 01:58 AM Reply

uh i accidentally posted a comment in the actual submission thread, i didnt bother to read tom's post until after i submitted my story after that... my bad
i assume one of you guys can delete it?

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 10:37 AM Reply

At 10/4/10 01:58 AM, DeftAndEvil wrote: uh i accidentally posted a comment in the actual submission thread, i didnt bother to read tom's post until after i submitted my story after that... my bad
i assume one of you guys can delete it?

This is why you read the initial post. Coop83 might have the ability to remove it so you may want to PM him explaining the situation.

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 11:53 AM Reply

Can we get a word limit on these stories? It's a short short story contest and there are already a couple of stories taking a good 6 posts...

Like Let's Plays? Click Down Below... *Winky Face*

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 04:10 PM Reply

At 10/4/10 11:53 AM, JaShinYa wrote: Can we get a word limit on these stories? It's a short short story contest and there are already a couple of stories taking a good 6 posts...

6 posts is a short story my friend. You should have been around for the Robot Day competition. (If you weren't) There was a 20+ page "novel" written by someone. They obviously didn't post all of it directly in the post, but instead provided a link to it.

I don't think a word limit is necessary. If someone writes something 20 pages long and it's really good then so be it. If a poem is 20 lines long and is amazing work then great! It really allows for freedom if you don't specify things like this.

The writing forum competitions outside of holidays do have word limits and themes though.

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 05:24 PM Reply

I completely disagree on "not liking" the poem stories. I have written a few and personally find it very challenging to come up with a specific rhyme scheme using a specific number of words per line and have it all make sense. It is sort of like writing with a lyrical form. Some of the best indie bands in the world are known from their lyrics, which are usually composed in a poetic form using a specific rhyme scheme, under 100 lines long. *My robot day poem was 100 lines, my madness day poem was 120 lines*

I think it is selfish to judge simply on length. Length should never be the focus when reading someones entry. Poems are usually shorter than stories because they are more tactically written with a very limited style.

However, in order for my poetic works to not be considered taboo in the contest, I will create a 1000 line poem if I have the time. I have a story planned out already, and personally find that it will be a hell of a lot easier to write than the poem. Poem or not, I am writing for this halloween contest.

Good luck guys! :)

Luke
Luke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 05:52 PM Reply

Gonna try giving this one I shot, been meaning to do one of these writing contests, just been so busy and haven't had many good ideas.. I'll try doing something good for this one.

Yeah, whatever.
PSN ID: REDSiN66

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 06:57 PM Reply

At 10/4/10 05:24 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote

I think it is selfish to judge simply on length. Length should never be the focus when reading someones entry. Poems are usually shorter than stories because they are more tactically written with a very limited style.

I don't judge on length alone, and so length will not effect your outcome at the end of all this. Keep in mind however that people do sometimes find it harder to judge poems side by side with a more traditional narrative as the two styles are so very different.

BISMUTHCASTLE
BISMUTHCASTLE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 09:41 PM Reply

Sorry did I miss something? When is the deadline?

I don't judge on length alone

Are there any of your judging criteria that you'd be willing to share, or is that a secret?

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Halloween 2010 Lit Discussion Oct. 4th, 2010 @ 10:30 PM Reply

If there is no length then write to your heart's content my friend. But do not aim to write lengthy for the sake of a long story. Remember this line: "brevity is the soul of the wit"? It was written by the premier playwright Shakespeare. The beauty of a poem is that in its concise lyrics and rhythm there lies a simple beauty unmarred by explanation and description. Some of the best poems take a minute or less to read. And often, you lose focus trying to keep rhyme and use cliched rhymes (be-see-he, tower-hour, reason-season, world-girl, you get me). Although for a scary story, a poem would often work against you as atmosphere is much easier to attain through description of the setting and mood, whereas if you try this through poetry, you end up losing much of the haunting lyricism in attempt to keep the rhythm. If you try a poem, make each line haunting, like Edgar Allan Poe (my favorite poet). I read The Raven and did not feel anything until the last line "And my sould shall be lifted- Nevermore!" and I was like damn!

just my advice, hope it helped, stay true to your style.

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature