Be a Supporter!

Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov..

  • 38,978 Views
  • 199 Replies
Respond to this Topic
Odio
Odio
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 02:22 AM Reply

At 10/1/10 02:03 AM, MadFLeX wrote: The reason why there was no need for a Stick Slayer Day was because the artist was still alive and capable of creating more flash for himself. Plus, when you say there is a large percentage of people who don't know who he is...considering there are 11,000,000 people who have played Pimps Quest on this site alone, as well as the millions of views his other stuff got, your argument just doesn't stand up. I understand you weren't around to see it since you joined in 2006, but Ben was part of the original NG network that helped ESTABLISH this site, long before you were around. You don't have to respect that, but Ben's contributions to NG are more substantial than just what he's submitted. It's not about what could have been, it's a celebration of his work. You're the one being the Dewey Downer about it.

Please don't think I am kissing up to you, or anybody, when I say I have appreciated his work. When I first joined this site, I played Pimp's Quest many times. Don't use my sign up date to discriminate against me. I know plenty about this site and have seen plenty of the events that have occurred. In fact, I would venture to say that my account is an older one these days.

I am well aware of his contributions to the site. I really am. I just feel he is no longer relevant to the current Newgrounds. He is a part of the history of the history of the site. Constantly bringing him up because he died is essentially useless and depressing.

Anyway, I feel I have made my point, so my participation is no longer required here. Please, continue to discuss this bad idea in my stead, comrades.


BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 02:40 AM Reply

At 9/30/10 09:36 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Nov 5th was Ben's birthday and seems to be a fitting time to celebrate his life here on Newgrounds.

You're lucky that day coincides with a famous movie quote.

On this day, everyone is invited to submit games, animation, art and music using Ben's characters. We're looking forward to seeing your interpretations of these classic, NG icons!

Sorry, I don't have the skills. I have some basic art skills and I took two intro college classes on it, but that's not enough for me to submit something.


BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 02:56 AM Reply

At 10/1/10 02:03 AM, MadFLeX wrote: The reason why there was no need for a Stick Slayer Day was because the artist was still alive and capable of creating more flash for himself.

Krinkels is alive and he has an annual day that pays tribute to his Madness series ever since 2007.

Plus, when you say there is a large percentage of people who don't know who he is...considering there are 11,000,000 people who have played Pimps Quest on this site alone, as well as the millions of views his other stuff got, your argument just doesn't stand up.

11 million views does not mean 11 million people played it. I don't know if it's possible to know how many different people played it.

For the record, I'm not against this day because I'm not familiar with Ben's work. I'm just giving you food for thought.


BBS Signature
MadFLeX
MadFLeX
  • Member since: Feb. 1, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 03:04 AM Reply

At 10/1/10 02:22 AM, RobotTaco wrote:
At 10/1/10 02:03 AM, MadFLeX wrote: The reason why there was no need for a Stick Slayer Day was because the artist was still alive and capable of creating more flash for himself. Plus, when you say there is a large percentage of people who don't know who he is...considering there are 11,000,000 people who have played Pimps Quest on this site alone, as well as the millions of views his other stuff got, your argument just doesn't stand up. I understand you weren't around to see it since you joined in 2006, but Ben was part of the original NG network that helped ESTABLISH this site, long before you were around. You don't have to respect that, but Ben's contributions to NG are more substantial than just what he's submitted. It's not about what could have been, it's a celebration of his work. You're the one being the Dewey Downer about it.
Please don't think I am kissing up to you, or anybody, when I say I have appreciated his work. When I first joined this site, I played Pimp's Quest many times. Don't use my sign up date to discriminate against me. I know plenty about this site and have seen plenty of the events that have occurred. In fact, I would venture to say that my account is an older one these days.

I am well aware of his contributions to the site. I really am. I just feel he is no longer relevant to the current Newgrounds. He is a part of the history of the history of the site. Constantly bringing him up because he died is essentially useless and depressing.

Anyway, I feel I have made my point, so my participation is no longer required here. Please, continue to discuss this bad idea in my stead, comrades.

I can appreciate this post. It's not about seniority though, it's about being there. Ben was my friend, my closest friend on NG. We beta tested each others games and put each other in our flashes. I know it's pointless for me to wage internet war against the naysayers, but the guy was my friend, and I had long planned to make a tribute flash without an NG day. So maybe you're right.

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 03:05 AM Reply

At 10/1/10 02:17 AM, misfit wrote:
At 10/1/10 02:03 AM, MadFLeX wrote: Ben was part of the original NG network that helped ESTABLISH this site, long before you were around.
I was around long before you, therefore using your logic I have more of a say about what happens in and around Newgrounds.

If you're not lying about your age, you made an account when you were five years old?


BBS Signature
MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Musician
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 03:44 AM Reply

http://ben-spurgin.newgrounds.com/

Ben's last medal is truly chilling.

I'll have something for him.

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 03:50 AM Reply

At 10/1/10 03:44 AM, MaestroRage wrote: http://ben-spurgin.newgrounds.com/

Ben's last medal is truly chilling.

"GAME OVER"

"Let history take its course."

Damn, that is chilling.


BBS Signature
esquillovince
esquillovince
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 06:44 AM Reply

R.I.P. Ben

xaider1
xaider1
  • Member since: Sep. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 06:46 AM Reply

sounds good

punter75
punter75
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 07:29 AM Reply

I know his death was tragic and his animations somewhat influential to the whole newgrounds community, but should we really be hailing a man who died of a drug overdose as some sort of hero?

Neoncrotch
Neoncrotch
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 07:47 AM Reply

"Many of you have seen them. Many of you have spoken to them. Many of you are them. They are the ones who huddle in the computer room at lunch. They are the ones still struggling up the social ladder. They are the few, the proud, the GEEKS. The geeks have long held a prophecy that a man would come. A messiah. Someone to lead them to true freedom. Behold the Power of the Geek!" - Ben Spurgin


BBS Signature
Shauna
Shauna
  • Member since: Jan. 20, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Gamer
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 08:02 AM Reply

I feel like an asshole for not even once seeing any of these flashes. Not the name or pictures ring a bell.

I'm sure he's resting in peace. :)


Signature made by Squidbit <3
Also known as MissAllanPoe
BOOP | Wonna Buy A Ghost? | DUCKSPIN

BBS Signature
averall
averall
  • Member since: Apr. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 10:01 AM Reply

Talk about a guy that did it all and did it well. His music was great, his flashes never disappointed (me...well the VERY FIRST one was kinda a let down but showed how much talent he was bringing to the table) and "Pimp Quest" was the first flash of it's kind I ever played and got me into the click and choose your adventure games (pretty sure it inspired a few as well). We lost a truly gifted creator in the field of flash and music. Where ever you are now beyond the great door of mystery I hope you are having the time of your death!

Fans (like me) and friends alike, you are sorely missed.

L0rdWhupa55
L0rdWhupa55
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Artist
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 10:22 AM Reply

Look, the whole argument is close to pointless. what matters is the guy left a few memories behind before he died, and since he was a part of this community, we might as well cherish the memory. so, happy birthday, and farewell.

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 10:38 AM Reply

Firstly, nobody has said that "Ben Spurgin Tribute Day" is a recurring annual holiday like Madness Day. If the submissions kick enough ass, then maybe we'll make it annual, but the whole point is to give a final salute to one of the most influential people in NG's history, and to say goodbye to a friend.

The way he died does not change the fact that in the early 2000's, Ben was a regular contributor to the site who was known for constantly bettering himself in his work. He wasn't just some kid who did nothing but post snarky comments on the bbs or submit spam flash, he was an artist. He was one of the first guys to develop popular flash series, laying the groundwork for many of today's popular artists.

If the fact he died from drug use prohibits you from understanding this, might I suggest you attend a Tea Party rally that day and avoid exposure to the whole event.

Your argument that his mistakes in later life negate what he did in his youth are just retarded. That's like saying Chris Farley had no impact on comedy... Kurt Cobain had no impact on music... Howard Hughes on.. almost everything....

Nobody here is celebrating or promoting drug use... rather the life and talent that was lost because of it, and the characters that we will never see again unless we bring them back ourselves.


Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
Freaki-boy92
Freaki-boy92
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 12:18 PM Reply

almost a year already? it only seems like yesterday.
RIP Ben Spurgin- may you slay sticks in heaven.

VINNIE-CAST
VINNIE-CAST
  • Member since: Sep. 3, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 01:21 PM Reply

requiescat in pace ben

R.I.P.

Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov..


TIME TO PLAY THE GAME!

BBS Signature
DrClay
DrClay
  • Member since: Aug. 9, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 01:25 PM Reply

At 9/30/10 10:03 PM, Eammy wrote: I wonder... on Newgrounds, what if there was a special celebration on every day of the year...

If newgrounds lives long enough that could actually happen....
Tom Fulp might pass on, some day and most likely a day will be dedicated towards him. Same goes for a lot of other good members.
Adam Phillips, the first Tank Award user
and so on...

Heaven forbid of course

TF2 Crew I User Icon Makers Club I Source Filmmaker Crew I
NEWGROUNDS TF2 Server: 192.223.24.28

BBS Signature
UBERxL33T
UBERxL33T
  • Member since: Jul. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 02:19 PM Reply

How do we know he died? Like, I'm sure he did and I'm not doubting he didn't but I'm just wondering how we all got the news.

Rockyusa
Rockyusa
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 03:13 PM Reply

It was sad to see him go in such short notice. Rest in Peace.


At 6/3/11 10:56 PM, BlakeMo wrote:
: I have no sexual orientation
: ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING HAS POTENTIAL TO BE BLESSED BY MY PENETRATION

BBS Signature
DudeGoofyGuy
DudeGoofyGuy
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 03:35 PM Reply

I didn't know him, but it's cool that we're doing something in his memory. I just hope the majority of the tribute stuff is quality Stick Slayer and not ten-second stickfights like the series is actually lampooning.


My 1,337th post (the second one I made in that topic).

ivanhoeintights
ivanhoeintights
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 08:00 PM Reply

At 9/30/10 10:06 AM, test-object wrote:
At 9/30/10 09:36 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Ben Spurgin Tribute day.
That's a pretty crappy name for that day. Just call it "Spurgin Day".
Nice initiative though. Sure he would've loved it.

RIP
*sob*

Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov..

jonathan1531
jonathan1531
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 09:31 PM Reply

Yes,man,last medal is chiling

"GAME OVER"

Rest in Peace

Shrubs
Shrubs
  • Member since: Aug. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 1st, 2010 @ 10:45 PM Reply

i don't get why people are flipping out over some junkies death.

i'm totally serious, it just seems dumb. well for the people that knew him well yeah, but with NG'ers that just found out about him today are balling.

merlijn155
merlijn155
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:26 AM Reply

hey im new to newgrounds and i have seen his flash videos.
but how did he die?

merlijn155
merlijn155
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:30 AM Reply

well im not really new but...i didn't know about him...

robyjoe
robyjoe
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 2nd, 2010 @ 07:12 AM Reply

RIP ben...such epic stickmen stuff

badboy23567
badboy23567
  • Member since: Jun. 19, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 2nd, 2010 @ 07:39 AM Reply

RIP Soldier.

Davidxtrem
Davidxtrem
  • Member since: Feb. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Audiophile
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 2nd, 2010 @ 02:11 PM Reply

R.I.P. Ben. The first time I saw a flash, it was one of yours.

YourShadowedDestiny
YourShadowedDestiny
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. Oct. 2nd, 2010 @ 03:08 PM Reply

rest in peace -_-

What caused his death? I'm new to newgrounds


Why are the news stories repeated? Can't they be calles Olds???