Be a Supporter!

Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov..

  • 39,217 Views
  • 202 Replies
Respond to this Topic
PixelCake
PixelCake
  • Member since: Apr. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 20:44:23 Reply

If it's any consolation, heroin overdose is probably the quietest way to go out...you literally feel no pain and just calmly fall asleep.
It's sad to have people die, even if it's a drug overdose. I wish he could've gotten help in time.


Your resident cutie patootie!

Neoncrotch
Neoncrotch
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 21:02:40 Reply

Happy 1337 post. I bet no one got it before me. Thanks for fooling us all.


BBS Signature
Gem145
Gem145
  • Member since: Sep. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 21:09:31 Reply

"he doesnt deserves a day because he was a drug addict"
"is bad for the kids"

what the f*ck ...
if you dont have an opened mind for this website , why the f*ck are you here posting stupid comments?
we are here for celebrating his life , not his death
i still loving Ben´s work , and his way to think , unless than the other idiots that doesnt care about the website and just put content for the public , he wanted to show us the truth of the slayer
the hard work and the real effort will always win against awful sh*t
the quantity of those spammers doesnt matter at all , theyre just a bunch of losers at life
against those ones that have a great future in front !
there will be one day that we will be free of spammers and cock crews in newgrounds
free of awful animation and "first test" in flash that make it trought ...
one day that we will act with justice and blam the garbage forever

only if we can think with the mind , by ourselves , ignoring our trolling instints and get into the real job , our passion and true love , the art .

...

those crews ? theyre just a bunch of losers against a just one real animator

Gem145
Gem145
  • Member since: Sep. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Artist
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 21:14:07 Reply

At 9/30/10 09:02 PM, Neoncouch wrote: Happy 1337 post. I bet no one got it before me. Thanks for fooling us all.

there it was one before you ... you just fail at life man
we are talking about a great animator and you posting this ...
sorry if you think that youre a badass with that way to think but i know a lot of people that act like the same , theyre just pathetic

you can act like a mature person in a forum ?

Kkop
Kkop
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 21:20:15 Reply

I may not be particularly active on Newgrounds, but after doing a little research I would like to post my deepest condolences to Ben's family. I was never familiar with his work, but the death of anyone due to an overdose is tragic. While you may have lost your way, I am sure God (or whatever deity of whatever faith the reader belongs to) has taken into account the lives you have brightened with your work, and I hope you have peace in the hereafter in lieu of on Earth.

Tzunami
Tzunami
  • Member since: Feb. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 21:24:05 Reply

Oh man, I remember playing Pimp's Quest and watching the Stick Slayer series a long time ago. It's hard to see a good Flash artist go.

R.I.P. Ben


BBS Signature
Nectarine
Nectarine
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 21:54:41 Reply

At 9/30/10 09:51 AM, RYNOL wrote: I think it's great that you're doing this. I can't wait to see what people will do. As long as it's actually a real tribute instead of cock jokes all day.

Well.....

Dick Slayer comes to mind...

I might get off my arse and submit something this go around. Heroin is serious business, in case anyone was wondering...

Nectarine
Nectarine
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 21:58:05 Reply

At 9/30/10 08:11 PM, ikool wrote:
At 9/30/10 07:56 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 9/30/10 06:03 PM, JackSmack wrote: I don't know if a tribute to a user that died of a drug overdose sends a good message to all the young impressionable minds here on Newgrounds.
I can see this being an issue if infact we all decided to make animations advocating the use of drugs.

but, for some, reason.. I dont.. think thats what we are aiming for here.
Thing is, we're not mourning about the way he died, we're mourning the legacy that was him and his animation. I never knew the guy, but by the sound of it, he sounds like a pretty cool guy.

Any animator of his standard deserves some respect.
RIP Ben.

Yeah, it seems a bit illogical to say that publicizing someone's drug-related death would encourage others to do drugs. That's a bit nutty. The whole point is that because he did drugs, he wasted his talent and potential. No one will know if he would have been great, if he would have been a pro, if he would have been at the level of Luis etc. Because he made such a huge mistake by doing drugs.

So really, it's even better than a PSA against drugs because this is a real example of where drugs took away everything.

Eammy
Eammy
  • Member since: May. 3, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Artist
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 22:03:37 Reply

I wonder... on Newgrounds, what if there was a special celebration on every day of the year...

mario157
mario157
  • Member since: Apr. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 22:03:59 Reply

I miss Ben. My B-day is on Nov. 5th too!

Magical-Zorse
Magical-Zorse
  • Member since: May. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 22:08:35 Reply

What a great guy


BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 22:42:32 Reply

So...we're getting the NG chat on November 5th now?


Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
razorbladesigh
razorbladesigh
  • Member since: Mar. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 22:46:26 Reply

Remember, remember the fifth of November
Stick figure, treason and drug overdose
I see no reason why drug overdose
should ever be forgot


|1.|2.|3.|

BBS Signature
K0Nx
K0Nx
  • Member since: Jan. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 22:54:37 Reply

I know alot of drug addicts and a lot of people who have died from OD's and alot of the time they are some of the nicest people who have just made some bad choices in there lives until it got out of their control

Odio
Odio
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 23:05:41 Reply

This is a bad idea.

You're all only saying nice things about him because he is DEAD. I can't believe how fake all you people are. I bet if every single member of the KK died you would make a day for them. That is a good idea, actually. I'm going to Tomylee's house now to kill him. Okay.


BBS Signature
Jethro95
Jethro95
  • Member since: Aug. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 23:25:29 Reply

Didn't realize who the artist was until I took a look at the link, once I saw Stick Slayer, I remembered those times. RIP man. Hope there aren't any stickmen up there.


Your average every day game helper and player.

sixflab
sixflab
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-09-30 23:42:40 Reply

Awesome 1337 post PG. Great to see us remembering one of the early greats here. Too bad he met an unfortunate end.

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Member since: Jun. 20, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 00:18:23 Reply

At 9/30/10 11:05 PM, RobotTaco wrote: This is a bad idea.

You're all only saying nice things about him because he is DEAD. I can't believe how fake all you people are.

he influenced my flash in many ways, he got me to get back in to filming, we talked for years, and we had plans to collab on some submissions.

I know Im not being fake.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 00:25:58 Reply

Nothing wrong with another day to vote on flash.


I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

someone-else
someone-else
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 00:45:44 Reply

RIP big buddy.


int experience, posts;
while(experience/10 >= posts)
{posts++};

Odio
Odio
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 00:49:48 Reply

At 10/1/10 12:18 AM, MindChamber wrote: I know Im not being fake.

Yeah, I can understand how personal relationships work between you two. But what about other people? Many users, especially the newer ones will have no idea who he is. Stickslayer isn't even featured on the flash portal with the other characters. He's not as much a part of the Newgrounds culture as other characters. This essentially excludes a large demographic.

But see, my problem is that if he was still alive there would be no Stickslayer Day. The thought would never have occurred to anyone. Yes, it's sad he died. But is that a reason to give him a day? Well, since Livecorpse died, let's give him a day too. And how about that Jeff Weise. He gave Newgrounds publicity, he deserves one too.

Everyone is just giving him more credit than he deserves because he's dead.

This is a very bad idea.


BBS Signature
RicePirate
RicePirate
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Animator
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 00:59:56 Reply

At 10/1/10 12:49 AM, RobotTaco wrote:
At 10/1/10 12:18 AM, MindChamber wrote: I know Im not being fake.
Yeah, I can understand how personal relationships work between you two. But what about other people? Many users, especially the newer ones will have no idea who he is. Stickslayer isn't even featured on the flash portal with the other characters. He's not as much a part of the Newgrounds culture as other characters. This essentially excludes a large demographic.

But see, my problem is that if he was still alive there would be no Stickslayer Day. The thought would never have occurred to anyone. Yes, it's sad he died. But is that a reason to give him a day? Well, since Livecorpse died, let's give him a day too. And how about that Jeff Weise. He gave Newgrounds publicity, he deserves one too.

Everyone is just giving him more credit than he deserves because he's dead.

This is a very bad idea.

I never met Christopher Columbus, Martin Luther King Jr., or Jesus Christ ... but I celebrate days that honor their lives(deaths) ...

why some folks get "a day" and others don't ... that, I could see as a viable arguing point, on a personal level ... but the bottom line is ... the website you're currently posting on, the website that I'm currently reading from, and the website that this whole discussion is hosted upon ... is Newgrounds. And it just so happens that the staff of Newgrounds decided to celebrate this upcoming day. (or at least some of them)

That's pretty much the end of it. No one is forcing anyone to like, agree, or partake in it.


BBS Signature
Odio
Odio
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 01:04:09 Reply

At 10/1/10 12:59 AM, RicePirate wrote: And it just so happens that the staff of Newgrounds decided to celebrate this upcoming day. (or at least some of them)

I suppose this is true. I'm nowhere near influential or recognized to be listened to, regardless of my intentions, though that will not stop me from making clear why I, and perhaps many others, oppose this.

But still, the point of an a BBS system is discussion. Discussion is based off the bouncing of ideas off of one another. It is impossible to hold a meaningful discussion without opposing viewpoints.

And I just wanted to make clear, this is a bad idea.


BBS Signature
MadFLeX
MadFLeX
  • Member since: Feb. 1, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 01:05:27 Reply

At 10/1/10 12:49 AM, RobotTaco wrote:
At 10/1/10 12:18 AM, MindChamber wrote: I know Im not being fake.
Yeah, I can understand how personal relationships work between you two. But what about other people? Many users, especially the newer ones will have no idea who he is. Stickslayer isn't even featured on the flash portal with the other characters. He's not as much a part of the Newgrounds culture as other characters. This essentially excludes a large demographic.

But see, my problem is that if he was still alive there would be no Stickslayer Day. The thought would never have occurred to anyone. Yes, it's sad he died. But is that a reason to give him a day? Well, since Livecorpse died, let's give him a day too. And how about that Jeff Weise. He gave Newgrounds publicity, he deserves one too.

Everyone is just giving him more credit than he deserves because he's dead.

This is a very bad idea.

Robot Taco....he had the number 1 all time spot for MONTHS with Pimp's Quest. Whatever credit he got, he got from the users that voted, not because he died. Less than 1 percent of animators can claim that, so don't deny him elite status because it doesn't measure up to what flash has evolved into. And why are you so bent out of shape about having a day dedicated to him? Is it really that big of a deal that people want to remember him by creating flash inspired by him? If so....why? Are you crusading for keeping kids off drugs? No one is condoning them.

Nectarine
Nectarine
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 01:18:28 Reply

At 10/1/10 01:04 AM, RobotTaco wrote: And I just wanted to make clear, this is a bad idea.

Your argument as stated is flawed. Just to reiterate, negative portrayals of drug use do not lead to increased drug use. Liking the work of someone who used drugs (and subsequently died) doesn't make us "fake." So unless there is something else behind you opinion, I just don't get it.

Look at all the other major NG holidays, like Pico Day and Madness Day/Week. The originals of all of these were not great and today would barely top 2.5 IMO. But the concepts were/are good, and they are enjoyable. I don't see how this is a bad idea. And yeah, this is probably a one-time deal. But you never know what could spark the next big trend in flash games.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 01:21:55 Reply

At 10/1/10 12:49 AM, RobotTaco wrote:
At 10/1/10 12:18 AM, MindChamber wrote: I know Im not being fake.
But what about other people? Many users, especially the newer ones will have no idea who he is.

I didn't know him, but I appreciate the idea nevertheless. Obviously his influence on NG and some users was big enough to leave a mark that helped shape the site. No matter how many users that were, it seemed to work.



Everyone is just giving him more credit than he deserves because he's dead.

I consider myself a drug opposer, yeah I even hate it, but if there is one thing that should be considered positive about death is the fact that it can be merciful enough to leave us with the positive aspects of a person and take along the negative ones. You are probably right, but that's not so bad after all.


This is a very bad idea.

I don't think so, but it will definitely be a polarizing topic.

Anyways.... it's a staff decision and I don't feel they made their decision lightly this time.


BBS Signature
Odio
Odio
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 01:33:34 Reply

At 10/1/10 01:18 AM, Nectarine wrote: Look at all the other major NG holidays, like Pico Day and Madness Day/Week. The originals of all of these were not great and today would barely top 2.5 IMO. But the concepts were/are good, and they are enjoyable. I don't see how this is a bad idea. And yeah, this is probably a one-time deal. But you never know what could spark the next big trend in flash games.

What did drugs have anything to do with my arguments? What did the quality of his flash have anything to do with my arguments? You've completely missed the point of what I was saying. I don't care how he died. He made flash and died a year ago. That's the end of my opinion of him as a person.

The point the two of you seem to have glazed over, that I am clearly reiterating right now, is that the only reason anyone is making a day about him is because he is dead. If he was still alive, there would be no Stickslayer Day. Many users did not know or care who he was before he died (This is not saying none did. This is just saying a large percentage.). He is not a main part of the culture. History, perhaps, but not the modern history or culture.

And another thing, by making this a day, you are only serving to depress Newgrounds by reminding the users "What could have been?". This is not "What has been done", such as Clock Day has done, this is just "What could have been?". That is the message you are ingraining into people's heads. What could have been?


BBS Signature
RicePirate
RicePirate
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Animator
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 01:43:44 Reply

At 10/1/10 01:04 AM, RobotTaco wrote:
At 10/1/10 12:59 AM, RicePirate wrote: And it just so happens that the staff of Newgrounds decided to celebrate this upcoming day. (or at least some of them)
I suppose this is true. I'm nowhere near influential or recognized to be listened to, regardless of my intentions, though that will not stop me from making clear why I, and perhaps many others, oppose this.

But still, the point of an a BBS system is discussion. Discussion is based off the bouncing of ideas off of one another. It is impossible to hold a meaningful discussion without opposing viewpoints.

And I just wanted to make clear, this is a bad idea.

No need to beat a dead horse...

you're absolutely right, in that the BBS is a place to bounce ideas ... however, I think the resistance you're experiencing from many of the posters is coming from the definitive nature of your statements... there is nothing "bounce"-like about what you've been saying.

You're to make very concrete, static comments that do not invite any kind of discussion whatsoever.

If you really wanted to utilize the discussion-oriented spirit of the BBS, you'd actually open it up, perhaps a question like, "I don't see why someone dying is a reason to suddenly revere their work, I'd like to know why the staff feels this particular person is so important."

Otherwise, posting definitive negations of the upcoming Staff sanctioned tribute day is really just trolling.


BBS Signature
MadFLeX
MadFLeX
  • Member since: Feb. 1, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 02:03:15 Reply

At 10/1/10 01:33 AM, RobotTaco wrote:
At 10/1/10 01:18 AM, Nectarine wrote: Look at all the other major NG holidays, like Pico Day and Madness Day/Week. The originals of all of these were not great and today would barely top 2.5 IMO. But the concepts were/are good, and they are enjoyable. I don't see how this is a bad idea. And yeah, this is probably a one-time deal. But you never know what could spark the next big trend in flash games.
What did drugs have anything to do with my arguments? What did the quality of his flash have anything to do with my arguments? You've completely missed the point of what I was saying. I don't care how he died. He made flash and died a year ago. That's the end of my opinion of him as a person.

The point the two of you seem to have glazed over, that I am clearly reiterating right now, is that the only reason anyone is making a day about him is because he is dead. If he was still alive, there would be no Stickslayer Day. Many users did not know or care who he was before he died (This is not saying none did. This is just saying a large percentage.). He is not a main part of the culture. History, perhaps, but not the modern history or culture.

And another thing, by making this a day, you are only serving to depress Newgrounds by reminding the users "What could have been?". This is not "What has been done", such as Clock Day has done, this is just "What could have been?". That is the message you are ingraining into people's heads. What could have been?

The reason why there was no need for a Stick Slayer Day was because the artist was still alive and capable of creating more flash for himself. Plus, when you say there is a large percentage of people who don't know who he is...considering there are 11,000,000 people who have played Pimps Quest on this site alone, as well as the millions of views his other stuff got, your argument just doesn't stand up. I understand you weren't around to see it since you joined in 2006, but Ben was part of the original NG network that helped ESTABLISH this site, long before you were around. You don't have to respect that, but Ben's contributions to NG are more substantial than just what he's submitted. It's not about what could have been, it's a celebration of his work. You're the one being the Dewey Downer about it.

misfit
misfit
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Remember, Remember the 5th of Nov.. 2010-10-01 02:17:25 Reply

At 10/1/10 02:03 AM, MadFLeX wrote: Ben was part of the original NG network that helped ESTABLISH this site, long before you were around.

I was around long before you, therefore using your logic I have more of a say about what happens in and around Newgrounds. And Stick Slayer day or whatever you kids are arguing about is a bad idea, what about Livecorpse day, or Regret day?