Be a Supporter!
ReginaldDunstable
ReginaldDunstable
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Long words thread Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 09:09 AM Reply

Lexical skills are unfathomably important in any aspiring writer's arsenal of tools. In this thread, I hope to stimulate conversational dialogue with a high density of lengthy and overwhelmingly astounding words with qualities to inspire even the most downtrodden of our kind.

My belief lies in the thought that if we discuss the most general of topics in this manner, a surprising amount of knowledge will be acquired by everyone that pays visit to this thread.

If one cannot find the suitable space to slip the word during the conversation, feel free to simply post the word and it's definition on it's own.

May this be pabulum for your works.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Long words thread Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 02:34 PM Reply

Pretentious.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
ReginaldDunstable
ReginaldDunstable
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Long words thread Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 04:24 PM Reply

At 9/26/10 02:34 PM, TrevorW wrote: Pretentious.

I was in concurrence with this statement the first time I witnessed this, but in practice I was both shocked and enlightened.

SaltyRiceGroup
SaltyRiceGroup
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Long words thread Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 04:53 PM Reply

Bestrewn ;)

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Long words thread Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 05:55 PM Reply

At 9/26/10 04:24 PM, ReginaldDunstable wrote:
I was in concurrence with this statement the first time I witnessed this, but in practice I was both shocked and enlightened.

Obnoxiously self-indulgent and strikingly pretentious.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
CaptinChu
CaptinChu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Long words thread Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 9/26/10 05:55 PM, TrevorW wrote:
At 9/26/10 04:24 PM, ReginaldDunstable wrote:
Obnoxiously self-indulgent and strikingly pretentious.

I concur.

Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Long words thread Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 11:40 PM Reply

The utilization of such sophisticated words seem to have an effect of slight incapacitation on those who possess lower levels of knowledge and less developed lexicons, from what I've observed...

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
ClydeArk
ClydeArk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Long words thread Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 12:21 AM Reply

I'd be preaching falsities, should I say I'm apt for a prolonged conversation of a nature such as this.

We'll ride this storm like we ride the night.

ThePortalGuru
ThePortalGuru
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Long words thread Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 01:07 AM Reply

My mind is thoroughly perplexed by the immensity of the complexity in this monstrosity of a literary forum. Indubitably, it is my humble duty to post extravagantly extraordinary pieces of vocabulary, and it is by the incandescent glow that this thread so does emit that I shall post my perceptive piece of textual writings.

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature
Light
Light
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Long words thread Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 01:52 AM Reply

Yeah. Big words.

I was formerly known as "Jedi-Master."

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

BBS Signature
VampireontheSax
VampireontheSax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Long words thread Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 02:16 AM Reply

I ate the grape?

Not long enough?

How about...

I masticated on the wormfilled vine grower, the ambrosial flavours and textures filling my mouth and slivering down my now refreshed esophagus....

Hows that?

BBS Signature
JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Long words thread Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 02:49 AM Reply

really glad I came to see what was going on in these boards.

it is as I expected.

:: and hey TrevorW how's it going?

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Long words thread Sep. 27th, 2010 @ 03:49 AM Reply

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanocon iosis = a lung disease

ACETYL SERYL TYROSYL SERYL ISO LEUCYL THREONYL SERYL PROLYL-SERYL GLUTAMINYL PHENYL ALANYL VALYL PHENYL ALANYL LEUCYL SERYL-SERYL VALYL TRYPTOPHYL ALANYL ASPARTYL PROLYL ISOLEUCYL GLUTAMYL-LEUCYL LEUCYL ASPARAGINYL VALYL CYSTEINYL THREONYL SERYL SERYL-LEUCYL GLYCYL ASPARAGINYL GLUTAMINYL PHENYL ALANYL GLUTAMINYL-THREONYL GLUTAMINYL GLUTAMINYL ALANYL ARGINYL THREONYL THREONYL-GLUTAMINYL VALYL GLUTAMINYL GLUTAMINYL PHENYL ALANYL SERYL-GLUTAMINYL VALYL TRYPTOPHYL LYSYL PROLYL PHENYL ALANYL PROLYL-GLUTAMINYL SERYL THREONYL VALYL ARGINYL PHENYL ALANYL PROLYL-GLYCYL ASPARTYL VALYL TYROSYL LYSYL VALYL TYROSYL ARGINYL TYROSYL-ASPARAGINYL ALANYL VALYL LEUCYL ASPARTYL PROLYL LEUCYL ISOLEUCYL-THREONYL ALANYL LEUCYL LEUCYL GLYCYL THREONYL PHENYL ALANYL-ASPARTYL THREONYL ARGINYL ASPARAGINYL ARGINYL ISOLEUCYL ISOLEUCYL-GLUTAMYL VALYL GLUTAMYL ASPARAGINYL GLUTAMINYL GLUTAMINYL SERYL-PROLYL THREONYL THREONYL ALANYL GLUTAMYL THREONYL LEUCYL-ASPARTYL ALANYL THREONYL ARGINYL ARGINYL VALYL ASPARTYL ASPARTYL-ALANYL THREONYL VALYL ALANYL ISOLEUCYL ARGINYL SERYL ALANYL-ASPARAGINYL ISOLEUCYL ASPARAGINYL LEUCYL VALYL ASPARAGINYL-GLUTAMYL LEUCYL VALYL ARGINYL GLYCYL THREONYL GLYCYL LEUCYL-TYROSYL ASPARAGINYL GLUTAMINYL ASPARAGINYL THREONYL PHENYL-ALANYL GLUTAMYL SERYL METHIONYL SERYL GLYCYL LEUCYL VALYL-TRYPTOPHYL THREONYL SERYL ALANYL PROLYL ALANYL SERINE = Tobacco

Now isnt that just a hilarious coincidence.

Egomaniacalginger
Egomaniacalginger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Long words thread Sep. 28th, 2010 @ 07:01 PM Reply

just penetrating the astounding vocabulary

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Long words thread Oct. 5th, 2010 @ 04:19 PM Reply

feeling a bit better... in cognitive faculties

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Long words thread Oct. 6th, 2010 @ 12:09 AM Reply

Just to be clear here, you all realize that chocking a bunch of fancy sounding words into a story or a piece of writing does not make it better. If it fits with the mood of the story then it can work, but just throwing words out there crammed full of as many syllables as you can just to look better, does not work.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Long words thread Oct. 6th, 2010 @ 12:44 AM Reply

At 10/6/10 12:09 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Just to be clear here, you all realize that chocking a bunch of fancy sounding words into a story or a piece of writing does not make it better. If it fits with the mood of the story then it can work, but just throwing words out there crammed full of as many syllables as you can just to look better, does not work.

that would make it incomprehensible and rather estoric,
I prefer brevity and concision.
:)

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Long words thread Oct. 6th, 2010 @ 01:11 PM Reply

At 10/6/10 12:09 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Just to be clear here, you all realize that chocking a bunch of fancy sounding words into a story or a piece of writing does not make it better. If it fits with the mood of the story then it can work, but just throwing words out there crammed full of as many syllables as you can just to look better, does not work.

That's true to an extent. However, if you have a wider range of vocabulary, you'll be able to use the correct words at the correct time to be able to portray your message in a more comprehensible fashion. And I think that's what writing is all about.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Long words thread Oct. 6th, 2010 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 10/6/10 01:11 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:
That's true to an extent. However, if you have a wider range of vocabulary, you'll be able to use the correct words at the correct time to be able to portray your message in a more comprehensible fashion. And I think that's what writing is all about.

Yes, a wide vocabulary is nice, however like I said, simply having big words does not make one's writing better. Especially for sequences containing action. And having a wider range of vocabulary also does not mean reaching out and selecting the largest most high brow word you can think of to try and make yourself seem like a better writer.

This is especially true if one can not string words together well, or stumble with verb and pro-noun use. If a writer has a story that is chocked full of big words and complex theories thinking that will make an excellent story, but then goes and forgets to add plot, character depth... or even characters, rising and falling action, tension and so forth... well, those big words are pretty useless.

DudemanThingface
DudemanThingface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Long words thread Oct. 7th, 2010 @ 04:48 AM Reply

At 10/6/10 05:15 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: having a wider range of vocabulary also does not mean reaching out and selecting the largest most high brow word you can think of to try and make yourself seem like a better writer.

There's a perfect example in the first post;

"conversational dialogue" - Tautology (dialogue pertains to conversation in some form, especially within the context of your post), and quite obviously because you're just picking big words to string together.