VampireontheSax
VampireontheSax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 01:34:51 Reply

Hi Everybody Somebody and Noboby

I just finished a piece of 'art' and I would like to hear what you guys think. I have only just moved from scribbling to actually trying to draw. This is probably one of my better pieces for three reasons.

1. Because (from what I see) the porportions are good.
2. Because it is original
3. Because it isn't anime

Nothing against anime it is just that I can't actually become a good drawer when I stick to one genre.

Oh and before you ask I had to import the picture from a camera, so that line at the bottom is a crease X(

Thanks in advance

VampireontheSax

Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 01:40:49 Reply

The proportions are actually terribly off.
Her left arm from shoulder to elbow is shorter than her right arm.
Also her forearm is terribly long compared to her back arm, as well as her calves being terribly long compared to her thighs.

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 01:42:06 Reply

At 9/26/10 01:34 AM, VampireontheSax wrote: Hi Everybody Somebody and Noboby

Hello!

I just finished a piece of 'art' and I would like to hear what you guys think.

Okay, i can do that.

I have only just moved from scribbling to actually trying to draw. This is probably one of my better pieces for three reasons.

*Buzzer noise* nope. they arent. sorry! try posemaniacs.com for some references and Google searches. also, you may want to look at a few tuts on DA (deviantart) to help you with that.

not really. i mean, yes, it is your own person, but i think everyone has drawn a person waving at the viewer with a t-shirt and jeans. (maybe not a ponytail, but ive drawn one)

it kind of is. the only non-anime-y part is the eyes. which are still anime-ish. the whole shovel-face and spiky hair thing is associated with anime. usually. most of the time. always.

Nothing against anime it is just that I can't actually become a good drawer when I stick to one genre.

moving on...

Oh and before you ask I had to import the picture from a camera, so that line at the bottom is a crease X(

at least it isnt as low quality as other things we've seen. however, a scanner is always a good investment.

Thanks in advance

no probs. just tyring to help.

VampireontheSax

~E~

i hope you guys are catching on :3
Little-Eise
Little-Eise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 01:59:11 Reply

Everything Kakashi said is true, but there are a couple of things I'd like to add.

Firstly, while your picture may not be all that great, I've seen worse. You'll be surprised how quickly you can get better if you practice often.

Also, the resources that Kakashi mentioned are good, but I'd recommend finding a book on drawing at the library, too.

BBS Signature
VampireontheSax
VampireontheSax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 02:09:05 Reply

Is it really anime??

This drawing that I did a while ago is anime... Isn't it?

Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art

BBS Signature
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 02:21:23 Reply

At 9/26/10 02:09 AM, VampireontheSax wrote: Is it really anime??

theres a point where drawings are no style, then when you get better they become one, sure i could say the eyes are slighty anime, but the rest of the pic has no resemblance to any style, your still in the improvement phase, as the others have said, anatomy, posemaniacs, do a few of the 30 second sketches on there, look up some tutorials, and just keep practicing

VampireontheSax
VampireontheSax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 02:23:13 Reply

In what poses should I draw my people in?

BBS Signature
Little-Eise
Little-Eise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 02:25:40 Reply

At 9/26/10 02:09 AM, VampireontheSax wrote: Is it really anime??

Yeah, it kinda is. You can definitely see that it is influenced by anime. It'll take a while to develop style more unique to you, but, again, it takes time an practice to get where you want to be.

Yep.

BBS Signature
Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 02:38:19 Reply

At 9/26/10 02:23 AM, VampireontheSax wrote: In what poses should I draw my people in?

any pose, the more variety the better, all for practice, doing the same thing over and over wont help you learn anything new, wont help you improve, the standard, facing the viewer is easiest but it gets really old really fast

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 17:38:12 Reply

At 9/26/10 02:23 AM, VampireontheSax wrote: In what poses should I draw my people in?

like i said before, shovel-shaped faces and spiky hair is most seen in anime, so most people consider it to be so. personally, your eyes just look like a beginner's version of anime-eyes.

try something i didnt do, which i think affected my art learning-curve. learn realism. try drawing from life, and join an art class at school maybe? this will help you so much with anatomy and proportions, and it will be easier to create your own unique style.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 17:50:32 Reply

At 9/26/10 01:42 AM, Kakashi1930 wrote:
Hello!

Hey

*Buzzer noise* nope. they arent. sorry! try posemaniacs.com for some references and Google searches. also, you may want to look at a few tuts on DA (deviantart) to help you with that.

Actually; they are pretty okay; sure they arent perfect, but they arent really annoyingly off. They dont really present a problem in a cartoony drawing.

not really. i mean, yes, it is your own person, but i think everyone has drawn a person waving at the viewer with a t-shirt and jeans. (maybe not a ponytail, but ive drawn one)

Then again, nothing really is original. It is original because it is not referenced or fan-art or whatever.

it kind of is. the only non-anime-y part is the eyes. which are still anime-ish. the whole shovel-face and spiky hair thing is associated with anime. usually. most of the time. always.

Actually I dont think I would classify this as anime at all, sure its cartoony. Basically what kashi here is trying to say is: "it is anime except for those properties which define anime" you might as well replace anime with "architecture".

just tyring to help.

Are you? Cause all I see here is you pointing out things that are wrong according to you. Bit of an odd way to help.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 18:52:36 Reply

Hola.

I just finished a piece of 'art' and I would like to hear what you guys think. I have only just moved from scribbling to actually trying to draw. This is probably one of my better pieces for three reasons.

They are. Not great, a couple things off, but still, "good".

By which you mean, not anime or fanart, yes. If you mean something new and interesting, to me, no.

has a few anime traits, sorta an inbetween of anime and modern cartoon style.

good point.

Thanks in advance

your welcome.

VampireontheSax

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 19:02:23 Reply

I'm going to point out something that nobody seems to have so far:
The hands are awful.
Nothing wrong with that. After all, hands are rather hard, especially for a beginner. However, you've made the horrible mistake of having them backwards. This is one of the biggest no-nos I can think of. On the first picture, her thumb points outward. Hold out your hand; notice that your thumb points in. Comparing what you've drawn to real anatomy (which can usually be taken from yourself) is a very good way of telling if what you've done is wrong. On the second picture, of the girl holding the sword, it seems like the knuckles of that hand are on the bottom of the sword, with the thumb pointed inwards. Take a pencil, hold it out in a fist; note that your knuckles, if you're holding it in a manner that's actually any kind of practical, are on top, and your thumb points inwards. You can also flip your hand (into a position in which you probably couldn't steadily hold a sword, as she's doing), and your thumb will point outwards. Your thumb is on the wrong side for where the hand is (though on the right side for where the hand should be), and the hand is essentially upside down.

Tl;dr: your hands are backwards, try and use your real hands as examples.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 19:03:15 Reply

Well, if you are going to start to add depth and whatnot into your drawings then poses aren't the only thing you will need to make them "pop out", you will need to also add some sort of shading, just Google up some shading tutorials and that should also help you out.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
VampireontheSax
VampireontheSax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Vots' Sketchbook/evolvi ng Art 2010-09-26 22:23:17 Reply

Thanks everyone. I might post more shortly

BBS Signature