Just popping in to leave a HUGE thanks to BAB for being one of the people who originally inspired me to start composing four years ago and for putting up this collection, which I used for quite a while.
I made a piece today showing what I think are the best patches in the collection. I spent most of today digging around in the pile trying and comparing everything I could. My findings are below.
- Great woodwinds. Better than some paid libraries even!
- Awesome sus strings- If you dig around, there are some amazing string patches amid the mediocre ones. With the right mixing and mastering, these sus patches can rival even stuff like EWQL SO!
- Patches for things like bases and guitars as well if you want to do more than just orchestral.
- Few brass patches, as well as few short strings patches. The metal percussion (i.e. cymbals, gongs, chimes) are notably weak as well, but there's some great ethnic perc.
- A lot of the patches are so old or poor to be not useful. It could probably be condensed down to 1-1.5 gigs if you really just bundled the highest quality stuff. Still worth downloading the whole thing of course!