New Topic Respond to this Topic
esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-07-01 01:08:18 Reply

Vector tracing of an photo I can't get enough of. I guess I should work on backgrounds so these digital pieces will feel a little more complete.

The art thread of esko-man

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-07-01 01:14:52 Reply

One of those conceptual pieces they tell you to make in art school. All the light blue backgrounds are just a coincidence. These were all created at least a month between each with a plenty more in between I'll post up later.

In other artsy-fartsy news, I'm finishing up a commission piece tomorrow that I'll post up in the evening, and I managed to line up another commission today for the same basic deal. Things are, for the moment, looking up! :)

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-07-07 20:50:27 Reply

16x20. My project of the day.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-07-08 22:12:06 Reply

Mixed media test on a 16x20 canvas. Would have liked for the white fade of the stencil to have been a little better, but that's what I get for spraying in the dark.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-07-31 14:34:13 Reply

It's been a while since I've added any new work so here it goes. I've been keeping busy building my art website, www.stencilkiller.com where you can get tips for making and spraying stencils, free stencil downloads that I've designed (and suggest more), and I showcase a large body of personal and commissioned work. It's not 100% yet, but you can buy stencil art that I've created through the etsy store.

This was a commissioned work from last month. Each portrait is on a 2x2' panel of Masonite. It took some time!

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-07-31 14:42:54 Reply

A ceramic piece from 2009 that I just got around to photographing.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-08-01 10:27:30 Reply

Here's one outlining the process I took creating the piece I used as my website logo.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-08-05 23:13:50 Reply

My phone camera doesn't pick up all the purples in the background but it's better than the actual camera photo. I think I'm talking to myself here anyway.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-08-07 17:55:59 Reply

16x20 commission piece, all spray paint.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-08-12 10:40:24 Reply

16x20 of my own. I'm continuing this and building a solid body of work.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-08-18 20:56:40 Reply

Warriors, come and to play-ee-ay!

Knocturne
Knocturne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-08-18 21:00:56 Reply

I like your newer work, very playful, funny and I get all the references!

Some of the stuff like the Liberty with gas mask reminds me of Banksy but I know there's tons of street artists in the world, it'd be cool to see you do a progression of one piece so I see how you get down, maybe stencil something you drew

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-08-18 21:03:40 Reply

At 8/18/11 08:56 PM, esko-man wrote: Warriors, come and to play-ee-ay!

Great movie. Artwork turned out great too. Very crisp and clean. Awesome.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-08-18 21:03:45 Reply

At 8/18/11 08:56 PM, esko-man wrote: Warriors, come and to play-ee-ay!

very nice....
I should really see that movie....

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-08-26 01:43:06 Reply

Thanks for the feedback guys, it means a lot! I'm experimenting a little more with style here, at least with my personal work on canvas.. It's kind of like learning to color outside of the lines again. I'm learning a lot with each piece I do. I buckled down for a while trying to get the stencil work to be perfect like the street artists I found a lot of inspiration from, but I find that sometimes it's better to leave things a little more raw, somehow more realistic.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-09-02 00:57:53 Reply

Well, I'm happy to report I've sold my Zombie Beatles set for a lot more than I thought I'd get. I priced it to move on one facebook page but luckily it sold on Etsy for almost double. It's in the box ready to ship.

I've learned a lesson too. Secure your work, and don't prop it places it shouldn't be :/

The Warriors piece I posted just a bit ago got a nice rip through the canvas, about 1 or 1 1/2" down the bottom section when it fell off a light fixture on the wall and hit a hot glue gun on the way down. It's tapped but fairly unfixable without some bonding and spraying the stencil again. Hopefully I can make it presentable and get material cost out of it.

I'm working on two more commissions at the moment. A pop art style Lady Gaga piece, 20x30" and a 16x20" canvas piece of an owl with Autumn colors, both stencil. I'll get some pictures of them up soon.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-09-11 20:47:53 Reply

It's been a long week of rain and school but I was finally able to finish one of my commissioned pieces.

I've got one more to work on then I'm shifting my focus to putting more art on my etsy shop for my upcoming featured spot this Saturday. A feature spot is having your listings rotated on the main pages of the art categories when you browse the site. I bought a spot for the painting category for around $7, so I'm hoping it draws some attention and sells a few pieces. Out with the old, in with the new.

16x20" on stretched canvas.

Ramatsu
Ramatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-09-11 21:09:21 Reply

At 8/5/11 11:13 PM, esko-man wrote: My phone camera doesn't pick up all the purples in the background but it's better than the actual camera photo. I think I'm talking to myself here anyway.

That dog looks like it's coming off the board! I like what you have going here, airbrush work is intense I don't think I could ever do that. One question.. Are the supplies expensive? I'm curious.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.
My art thread
My comic thread

BBS Signature
esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-09-24 02:25:16 Reply

At 9/11/11 09:09 PM, Ramatsu wrote: Are the supplies expensive? I'm curious.

The supplies are reasonable, but your budget can limit you. The main expense for stencil work is in the paint. See this write up under "stencil art" if you're interested in trying it.

Jimmy Fallon portrait for a friend. 16x20

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-09-29 01:23:57 Reply

The newest of my personal works. The man, the legend. 18x24" canvas. The paint is pretty consistent in the top right, the light is just hitting the canvas odd. All stencil and spray paint.

So I'm getting a few pieces ready for a (related to street art) gallery show coming up in November. I'm going to remake the "This is not a wall" piece with proper grammar thanks to the NGer above who let me know the mistake. I've just finished bolting four 18x24" canvases together into a 3x4' monster to work on a crowd killer over the next few days, which will hopefully make it into the show as well.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-10-07 02:06:58 Reply

Largest scale I've done so far. This is a 3x4' canvas made by bolting together four 18x24" canvases. The photo doesn't show the metallic silver in the blades and mixed in the background, but it's there. The whole thing has a gritty texture from the outdoor furniture-type paint in the background.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-10-15 22:59:50 Reply

The red splatter is supposed to be blood flying, because he's a bear with chainsaws for arms. I don't entirely understand what people are saying about the abstract work. It's non-representational for the most part. I'm creating the work in real time. I make conscious decisions that effect the outcome. I get unpredictable results sometimes, but that's part of the media and the technique. I know how to do certain things to get certain outcomes and my intuition is the judge of what goes on. With that said, almost every piece like that is an experiment of what I can do with it, but if it's not interesting to view, that's something else.

Working with 99% spray paint, I throw some of those effects into the background of other pieces to make them interesting and to add a little style. The Jimmy Fallon portrait, for instance, doesn't have a lot of splatter but it's there, and it may give or take to the image, but I didn't want a plain, splotchy metalic-blue background on it. I was working with the materials and paint provided to me on that commission though. I'd have gone for a lighter grey and a flat blue.

I do need to work more on my composition and my color use should be getting better now that I've got the excess funds to stock up an a variety of paint. The transition between design and traditional (as traditional as stencil art on canvas is) is a little weird at the moment, but I'm trying to use both of them to improve my comprehension and ability with the other.

My latest piece...
Composition? Color?

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-10-15 23:19:07 Reply

One of my recent works for a Graphic Design class. The objective was to create a 2-page magazine spread on the artist, musician, or actor of our choice. The original is a high quality 300dpi, 12x18" design. Printed for a magazine, the gutter would be down the direct center.

This should be a slightly better version.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/5652 73aa89ef9e35f2fe7db068f6a085

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2011-11-18 00:11:40 Reply

Been a while since I've updated here. I've been busy busy with school and my first showing outside of the art building gallery, and don't share a lot of classwork and design here. Here's a picture.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2012-01-07 07:48:18 Reply

The good doctor.

Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2012-01-07 08:30:14 Reply

Lot's of cool stuff man.. I like it. Only thing is I think that some of your colors don't mix very well. Do you do colored sketches before making the piece?

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations
nilfisk

BBS Signature
esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2012-01-08 07:42:16 Reply

At 1/7/12 08:30 AM, Lundsfryd wrote: Lot's of cool stuff man.. I like it. Only thing is I think that some of your colors don't mix very well. Do you do colored sketches before making the piece?

Usually, but most of the time, I just do the background as a flat color when I know I'll be doing something a little more random with the same basic color scheme. Are there any in particular where the colors don't mix well? I've really been kicking it into high gear lately, and I think I'm improving on a lot of things, color included. I've been tossing the idea around of making a color sampling page of some kind so I have a quick reference of triadic schemes, split compliments, etc.

Here's another of my new pieces. Betty Page (hubba hubba) 18x24" on canvas. My first real use of texture. Nice and bumpy, a little gritty but smooth all over. It was actually an accident that it came out like this. I had a can of the rock textured paint left from the "Ceci n'est.." piece and I was going to try and get some grit around the edges but I couldn't get a cap to spray it without jamming up, making messy, drippy puddles which I started working with around the outer edges.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2012-01-08 07:47:08 Reply

This is the outcome from the live painting at the show I pictured above. The Muhammad Ali and Hunter S Thompson pieces on the left are mine and Colonel Sanders, Johnny Depp on the right by my friend. We worked like a two headed machine, two hours, in front of at least 100 people over the course of it. Not an easy task with spray paint on a cold November night.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2012-01-08 09:48:13 Reply

Recent commission. 3x4' on wood. They mid-tone layer is reflective silver so the lighting is a little odd in the picture. I'm getting ready to work on another 3x4' on wood. Fear and Loathing style.

esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The art thread of esko-man 2012-01-09 05:43:23 Reply

Here's a recent commission. 2 8x10" canvas panels. They wanted two of the same, something I've never done before. I'm pretty happy with the results, doing two backgrounds with spray paint like this. I know it'd be impossible to do them exactly the same, so I think I got them close enough to resemble one another.