• 16 Replies
CrazyRock
CrazyRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Waling cycle's! 2010-09-20 08:03:42

Well guys i am into flash for 6 months now and i decided that i should start Walking Animations at least!

Please tell how to improve and stuff....
You can post your own!
And i start with a stick as everybody!

Waling cycle's!

Thanks Chdonga for the signature. <3

BBS Signature
CrazyRock
CrazyRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-20 08:05:21

The non-transparent one:

Waling cycle's!

BBS Signature
CloudEater
CloudEater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-20 10:30:20

Everybody does not start with a stick, the people who start with sticks are the people who are lacking the artistic abilities to draw proper figures.

Well that really is quite a poor walk cycle. Start by ditching the sticks and drawing with shapes, a simple yet effectie character can be made with simple shapes. Here I have used simple shapes to animate a walk cycle. Even if you start of by just doing many sketches of figures using shapes and don't start animating yet it will help you out alot!

The great Neil Sanders has an walk cycle tutorialthat is quite helpful and you can learn much from it.

MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-21 17:32:58

At 9/20/10 10:30 AM, CloudEater wrote:

the people who start with sticks are the people who are lacking the artistic abilities to draw proper figures.

Quite incorrect. I started with sticks. Soooo... you fail.

Though my first animation wasn't as bad as that, lol.

BBS Signature
KartuneHustla
KartuneHustla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-21 17:50:22

I think starting with sticks is good practice. I still do my rough animations in stick figure form cause its easier to place the joints then i draw my figure around it. Even my conceptual drawings start in that form. It's just easier to pose your characters.

I think you should practice with larger stick figure characters, enough to where you can draw the correct form like putting in the knee and elbow joints because youre not gonna be able to practice with the stick figures you are working with now. Also, you should think about studying alot of cartoons. Even check some out on newgrounds and slide through them frame by frame just to get an idea of what it looks like

Below is just a quick example of what i mean. Just did it in like 10 seconds haha but hopefully you get an idea

Waling cycle's!

At your service

BBS Signature
jwhitt
jwhitt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-21 22:31:52

Hmm, all I can think of to say is to definitely broaden your attention span. Probably by reading books and trying not to masturbate more than 5 times a day. (I know, it's hard... heheh... that's what she said)

Animation can be very boring... especially in the beginning, while you're still learning the basics and everything. So try forming the entire animation from beginning to end in detail on paper before you even begin to start drawing.

Oh yeah, and perspective... IMHO, to be even half decent at animating, you need to have an excellent grip on perspective. You may consider dabbling in 3D modeling or even 3D sculpting for a while to improve your perspective skills. Blender is a great choice.

And hey, don't worry about just drawing stick people... but you may want to graduate yourself to ovular people or even crude silhouettes of people while animating. Definitely stay away from stylized characters, at least, at first. (anime/manga lineart stuff) And make sure not to throw the kitchen sink at the first frame and be all like, "Aw shit, bro. This is gonna take forever."

PROTIP: Let your fingers do the walking for your walk and run cycles.

Reference Materials: (a lot of which can be found at 4shared.com in PDF format)

Richard Williams - Animators Survival Kit
Walt Stanchfield - Gesture Drawing for Animation
Preston Blair - Cartoon Animation
Preston Blair - Advanced Animation
Chris Webster - Animation: The Mechanics of Motion

...and others that I can't think of right now.

Alright, I've gotta go find something to keep my hands busy. Stay cool.

BBS Signature
Spac3case916
Spac3case916
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-21 22:51:39

right now oyu have a lot to improve on.
for one id make it slower so we can actually see what's going on.
study walkcycles (of course)
learn what key frames are and inbetweening.
here's my first ever walk cycle.
and here's my latest.

i got much better.
i just practiced everyday.
good luck dude.
you can do it.

[-----free like clouds-----]
My art thread <3

BBS Signature
CrazyRock
CrazyRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-22 07:19:26

Okay guys,thank you all for constructive comments!Here is my 2nd:

Waling cycle's!

BBS Signature
Jacco
Jacco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-22 09:07:32

At 9/22/10 07:19 AM, RockOn12 wrote: Okay guys,thank you all for constructive comments!Here is my 2nd:

At least you didn't use a stick figure this time. But you didn't make him walk. You just motion tweened him across the screen. It's just a movieclip with one frame.

BBS Signature
narf
narf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-22 10:21:08

Im inclined to say this guys either a troll, or too ignorant to understand what animation actually is.

CrazyRock
CrazyRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-22 11:14:19

Noo,i cerated an animation of walking in the movieclip!And yes i have tweened him but idk what happend...I will remake it today!

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-22 15:41:52

At 9/22/10 11:14 AM, RockOn12 wrote: Noo,i cerated an animation of walking in the movieclip!And yes i have tweened him but idk what happend...I will remake it today!

If you try to export a Gif, and inside the flash is a movie clip with frames in it, the frames won't play. Only the first frame of the movie clip plays (which is why he isn't walking)

BBS Signature
jwhitt
jwhitt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-22 22:31:06

Oh yeah, and just for fun, a four framed walk cycle I drew 10 minutes ago. Fantastically dreadful.

"Arms are overrated." - That one Hindu god with the thousand arms and stuff

Waling cycle's!

BBS Signature
Spac3case916
Spac3case916
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-23 00:25:07

At 9/22/10 10:31 PM, jwhitt wrote: Oh yeah, and just for fun, a four framed walk cycle I drew 10 minutes ago. Fantastically dreadful.

stop trying to show off dude.

anyway
back to the walk cycles, It's good that you used shapes. But again it's not required, go ahead and use sticks or whatver your the most comfortable with.

[-----free like clouds-----]
My art thread <3

BBS Signature
jwhitt
jwhitt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-23 11:01:58

At 9/23/10 12:25 AM, Spac3case916 wrote:
At 9/22/10 10:31 PM, jwhitt wrote: Oh yeah, and just for fun, a four framed walk cycle I drew 10 minutes ago. Fantastically dreadful.

stop trying to show off dude.

anyway
back to the walk cycles, It's good that you used shapes. But again it's not required, go ahead and use sticks or whatver your the most comfortable with.

Showing off? I was just trying to add an animation to the thread.

But yeah, the reason you wouldn't want to use stick people for animation is because they're ridiculously two dimensional (x, y) with no depth (z) whatsoever, which makes them easier to draw but have the downside of looking very unrealistic when animated.

If you look at the 4 frame walk cycle you'll notice that there are basically two frames, one contact and one passing. However, to convey the walking motion I used the depth of the drawing to my advantage. If you did the same thing with a stickman the results would be even worse as you could clearly see that they are just two frames, instead of four, because without any depth to them you won't notice the passing motion, unless each leg is a different color, even then the effect would be minimal. The twisting of the man's chest really helps too, overly exaggerated of course, this just aids the depth effect. All it needs now is tweening, which I neglected to do because it's very tedious to do with a mouse.

Anyway, good luck, OP.

BBS Signature
00-BEN-00
00-BEN-00
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-23 13:21:32

a walking cycle actually has to be a cycle.. it should go on and on..

also, smooth the drawings a bit, it looks like it's drawn in paint..

keep flashin'!

to Ben or not to Ben
YouTube
Wordpress Blog

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Waling cycle's! 2010-09-28 10:25:37