New Topic Respond to this Topic
BaronVonBadGuy
BaronVonBadGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Melancholy
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 05:59 AM Reply

Personally I like going out and enjoying adventures with RL friends. However, in contrast, I also like being reclusive, spending my times discussing things on forums and such. I generally balance the two, as people can really get on my nerves if too much time is spent with most of them.
I'll admit, real life is far more enjoyable than what I've witnessed online, but the internet itself makes for a nice safe haven to retreat to after a busy day is done, to discuss with all your E-Buddies things you'd likely not be able to with friends.

I'd say a benefit forum interaction can have is further increasing ones skills in writing, discussing things otherwise unknown to IRL friends, and the ability to troll E-Folks after having a bad day IRL.
Still, the Internet can be fucking addicting, you've no idea how many times I've logged on thinking I'd just check up on my Facebook and other sites of Interest I frequent only to spend 6 hours dicking around.

Sawke
Sawke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 06:20 AM Reply

hey in the past week i got to enjoy two lives. My time alone, then in a hour i made 4 awesome friends. But even if i make a million nice friends, i'm still not going to want to go out with them 4 times a week like some idiots. I'm perfectly happy meeting up with people once a week or once every two weeks. Don't feel bad if you enjoy time alone, but it IS good to get out and talk a bit with someone now and then, get exercise, hear stories. It is your decision. But it never hurts to try new things if you feel like you cant find anyone to relate to then i INSIST you stay on your own. Because being alone in a group is far more depressing.

Haoie
Haoie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 06:30 AM Reply

Let's all get some light, too. Natural light.

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.

TacoFreak
TacoFreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 06:43 AM Reply

you sound like a loser

get out of your shell and be more social

trust me i was there

Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 06:44 AM Reply

I wouldn't say I'm wasting my life on the computer at all. One day, my source of income will be from a computer orientated job, most likely coding. So, it's more a case of my life becoming somewhat dependant on computers than computers wasting my life.

As for the people who spend their free time on the internet, like myself most of the time, I really don't see how this is a "waste of a life". Life is what you make of it and it's ultimately down to you how you use it. Just because some people prefer to not spend their free time on a computer, doesn't mean they're doing the correct thing with life and we're not. Different kinds of people will get different kinds of experiences through life. If we all did the same thing, would the world really be that interesting a place?

So, do I believe you are wasting your life by sitting on a computer? Not really, no.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Sawke
Sawke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 07:01 AM Reply

At 9/11/10 06:38 AM, Skeepsis wrote:
I personally disagree with your values. I value face to face interaction more than on-line interaction. If you wasn't so nervous around people, I think you'd see why real human interaction is commonly though of as being so enjoyable and conductive to happiness.

Time being wasted is a perception. Time can only be seen as wasted if an individual is seeing it as wasteful. A person spending hours on a computer is no more or less wasting their time than someone who stands on a line for hours for the hell of it, or someone who sits with a group of friends and spends the day talking. The reason for this being that none of these technically improve your life in a concrete way. Sure you are gaining interaction. But are you getting a roof over your head from it? or food? no. They're just hobbies and if you find it fun then that's because it's you. But that doesn't mean it's a good or bad use of time.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 08:10 AM Reply

At 9/11/10 05:00 AM, WaterShake wrote:
At 9/11/10 04:42 AM, Lintire wrote:
At 9/11/10 03:42 AM, WaterShake wrote:
So if you can see that, i'm sure you can see why it would be detrimental to, as you say: "replace my current world with a digital one "

Right, I think I better explain. When I replace a real world with a digital one, it's for the glory, not for the passive conversation. It's for the massive battling, the blood and the grit in your teeth then restarting to do it all over again. It for the being able to troll like you're able to online, except, well, not online. And well, that's just one aspect. Loads of reasons to replace a real world with a digital one.
Conversation is not one of them. There are more reasons, lots of them, they're not just limited to forums and this subject matter.

That doesn't make it healthy, but it makes it less desperate.

Your asking us to attack people on the basis that they spend to much time having fun. Surely you can see how flawed that is?

No, I'm asking you to attack them on the basis that they think that any time spent online is wasted time.

At 9/11/10 03:47 AM, WaterShake wrote:
You've been sorely misinformed. Intensive cardiovascular exercise is one of the most challenging things that we can participate in.

I looked it up. It's mainly exercising the leg muscles. I can see why that'd be hard, but I've been doing that for a while - a long while. Didn't know it, but looking at the examples I can compare them and see why I find it pretty easy.

I used to go for4k jogs in the cold night air at the start of this year - not really competitive, still took about an hour and a half, going pretty hard at it. Though I haven't done it in a while, the leg muscles remain, which is why I find running pretty easy - they're pretty big muscles. My previous times while exercising, it was always the lower body - soccer, running, skipping (well, jump-rope), even mountain-bike riding, twas always exercising the lower body. Been doing it for a while, I can see that now, although I had no idea it was cardiovascular exercise.

I was worse then misinformed. I assumed it. That was pretty stupid. But any strength I contain, it's lower body - and while it's fairly satisfying to be able to swell up your leg muscles fairly big, it's even more satisfying to do the same to your arms, as I'm finding out.

I'll find a balance. "Moderation in Everything", you know? I'm pretty damn lucky.

oh yeah, baby, check out those leg muscles.

Thanks for making me check up on it, even if I did make myself look like an idiot.

As for the rest of you, to clear it up, what they're saying is that spending 30 minutes to 1.5 hours here a day is wasted. Which is something else entirely. I wouldn't shun life in favour of the internet, but I wouldn't shun the internet solely at the demand of life, you understand? I love both of them, they're both big parts of my life, even if I do tend to favour one over the other at times.
They're saying that my extended commitment here should be shunned in favour of.. .well, they didn't even say what. They just clung to their "wasted" lines.

Lorkas
Lorkas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 08:25 AM Reply

I'm pretty sure some people don't choose the way they live, they just have no other choice. It might be hard for most people who had lived in a country that's been under capitalism for over 200 years, but really sometimes you don't have a choice. Some people just aren't fit (figuratively speaking) for a social life. Just like people born without an arm aren't fit to play basketball proffesionally.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12
NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature
RYNOL
RYNOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Audiophile
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 09:44 AM Reply

You're quite boring and you ride every bandwagon that passes by. The internet is more open-minded and less tolerant than you are. If I find something I don't like I don't think it's gay all of a sudden. I simply don't like it. And instead of listening to Kesha sucking dicks, I listen to good music. And instead of laughing at bad, immature jokes in bad and immature movies like Date Movie and the new American Pie I look at stuff like Citizen Kane and The Shining. I can have intelligent conversations on the internet, unlike you guys who talk about how awesome drinking is and that school sucks. I hope that answers your question.

I need a sig.
PSN: gowow20

Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 10:00 AM Reply

At 9/10/10 11:30 PM, Lintire wrote: You have to save people not going on the internet from themselves with boring advice. shoot.

Why would I? I'd give the same advice I'd give to someone who isn't sure if they should quit alcohol or drugs: "Whatever works for you".

This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature
ChainsawNinjaZX
ChainsawNinjaZX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 10:16 AM Reply

Anyone who enjoys their time has not wasted it.

Lorkas
Lorkas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 11:34 AM Reply

At 9/11/10 09:44 AM, RYNOL wrote: You're quite boring and you ride every bandwagon that passes by. The internet is more open-minded and less tolerant than you are. If I find something I don't like I don't think it's gay all of a sudden. I simply don't like it. And instead of listening to Kesha sucking dicks, I listen to good music. And instead of laughing at bad, immature jokes in bad and immature movies like Date Movie and the new American Pie I look at stuff like Citizen Kane and The Shining. I can have intelligent conversations on the internet, unlike you guys who talk about how awesome drinking is and that school sucks. I hope that answers your question.

Woah that's got to be the smartest post I've read on newgrounds in a while. Another insulting thing to say would be calling someone generic, average, or boring like you mentioned earlier.

Not everyone is special, some people are just generic Joes.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12
NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature
grime-reaper
grime-reaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 11:36 AM Reply

At 9/11/10 11:34 AM, Lorkas wrote:
At 9/11/10 09:44 AM, RYNOL wrote: You're quite boring and you ride every bandwagon that passes by. The internet is more open-minded and less tolerant than you are. If I find something I don't like I don't think it's gay all of a sudden. I simply don't like it. And instead of listening to Kesha sucking dicks, I listen to good music. And instead of laughing at bad, immature jokes in bad and immature movies like Date Movie and the new American Pie I look at stuff like Citizen Kane and The Shining. I can have intelligent conversations on the internet, unlike you guys who talk about how awesome drinking is and that school sucks. I hope that answers your question.
Woah that's got to be the smartest post I've read on newgrounds in a while. Another insulting thing to say would be calling someone generic, average, or boring like you mentioned earlier.

Not everyone is special, some people are just generic Joes.

Oh yes because assuming that you're better than people on the basis that they spend more time out side is sooooo, super.fucking.smart.

No.

Stop generalising groups of people just because you don't like them

Talkers are doing something. Beauties are being something. Which isn't bad, I just I don't know what it is they're being. It's more fun to be with people who are doing things.

BBS Signature
Cordyceps
Cordyceps
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 11:36 AM Reply

"Society itself, or what you call 'real life', is just so much an illusion as the virtual world is. To claim your preferred world as 'the real one' is simply ignorant."

@
http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki
If you do acid, wait an hour before swimming

BBS Signature
CommanderWalrus
CommanderWalrus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 11:42 AM Reply

I have a good life, so I go outside often. It's fun.

[ICON/GENRE/WIKI MOD] PM me for icon requests or icon/genre related questions.
lulz

BBS Signature
Dubbi
Dubbi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to "Wasting you life on a Computer" Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 12:25 PM Reply

All life is a waste, a slow bridge to death - so I may as well live through it, doing things I enjoy.

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.
-- ee cummings

BBS Signature