ganon95
ganon95
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 01:55 PM Reply

hey all,

was wondering if you guys listen to your own music if its on your ipod/zune/whatever. and what do you think when you hear it

alot? a little? not at all?

personally i listen to my own music all the time, i don't make a song unless i find it fun to listen to. and i am more then happy to show off my creation to friends because i think it sounds great. i hear my music and think "wow, i made this"

Krank
Krank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 02:29 PM Reply

every day brah

WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 02:29 PM Reply

I keep a song or two on my ipod. I keep my ipod on shuffle. So if my song comes on, I'll give it a listen.

But I don't really post my music anywhere or have my friends listen to it. I'm shy.

Kosmiker
Kosmiker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 02:32 PM Reply

I hear alot.

Actually, when I do music is exactly for me to listen to it, kind of our own mood cocktail mixes. Only after a few walks and plays I decide if its worthy of uploading it.

Also, hearing it on my walkman usually gives me a better understanding of what I could improove or dismiss.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 04:00 PM Reply

I have a theory... If you don't hate your own music, you didn't put enough work into it to make it truly great.

Now I'm not saying I hate the music I write, I'm just saying, when I really sit down and decide I'm going to do a bigger project, I will not be satisfied until it's perfect, and by the time I get it to that point, I will be sick of listening to it.

It's kinda like Lacuna Coil has said in a recent interview,
"...We've done the songs in the practice room, in the demo form, then we've done the song in the studio, then we've done the song for many tours. So obviously it's boring to play the same song over and over. But the fact that you see the people singing the song with you, and the resolve of all the process that leads you to write and record and put the song out and promote the song, is what I think gives you the energy back to really have fun at the show and enjoy what you do."

That's a little bit of a sidetrack, but the same general idea, you have to do it over and over and over again to get it just right, and (for most people) that usually drives you insane. So in essence, you can't really make a good song unless you end up hating it... Or unless you are EXTREMELY talented.
Celldweller said the same thing about his "Switchback"... He had worked on the song (plus remixes) for so long that he ended up hating it, but listening to it... It's a very good song, that obviously had a lot of effort poured into it.

That said... I do listen to my own stuff every once in a while, but the majority of the time I do, it's generally because I want to come back to it and see what I could change to make it better.

That's my 2 cents anyways.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Tianwell
Tianwell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 04:02 PM Reply

I rarely listen to my finished tracks after wards. It's just tiring to hear the parts over and over again to get them the way I want them to sound. If I'm able to listen to my song a few times without getting annoyed by it, then I haven't finished it or need to work harder on it.

MUSIC IS LIFE!

BBS Signature
DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 04:10 PM Reply

yes all the time at least untill i get tired of it

I Am L3O, I Am the only Me there is Nobody Else
L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

wtfyourface
wtfyourface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 04:20 PM Reply

I was actually just in the middle of listening to one.

asdf

TimeBender
TimeBender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 04:22 PM Reply

I do, its not like any of the music in my library, which is my opinion.

wtfyourface
wtfyourface
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 04:27 PM Reply

At 9/10/10 04:20 PM, wtfyourface wrote: I was actually just in the middle of listening to one.

EVEN SCROBBLE IT ON MY LASTFM OHHHH

asdf

YouriX
YouriX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Musician
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 04:30 PM Reply

Me all the time baby all the time...... I never make music that i would not want to listen to. Like mentioned before. So when i make a song it has all the qualities that i would like to listen if i ever heard a song go on the radio for example.

However there has been times wich i did so much work on a song i get sick of it. I have been having that alot lately since i want to make a clear mix or just mak the song more fun to listen to.

Head-Full-Of-Acid
Head-Full-Of-Acid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Musician
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 04:31 PM Reply

if i particularly like what i've made, then I listen to it on my iPod or iTunes.

usually though, they slowly lose their musical impact, and fade into obscurity.

i have a theory, however, and it basically is: great music should never lose its affect on you.

granted, our tastes may change overtime, and endless attempts to perfect the songs we work on will grow tiring, but that only means we have room to grow, and our minds know that.

i doubt master musicians like the late frank zappa get tired of performing their masterpieces

even though he was awfully prolific.

Request a review ]                                                                            sea otters hold hands in their sleep so they don't drift away from each other

BBS Signature
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 04:34 PM Reply

I delete my music as soon as I finish it.

digital-musician
digital-musician
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 04:55 PM Reply

I made most of the beats for my mate years ago. And I still listen to his songs everyday. I miss them days. :(

RoobyKillAll
RoobyKillAll
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 06:23 PM Reply

At 9/10/10 01:55 PM, ganon95 wrote: i hear my music and think "wow, i made this"

Haha, yeah that sounds a lot like how I am.

¤´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·`¤[Rooby.22's Tunes]

BBS Signature
djInTheDark
djInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 07:02 PM Reply

It really depends on how proud of it or how much work I think I put into it (and also how much I already listen to it as Purgatory perfectly explained).

Recency is a bigger problem for me. I can't listen to things from what seems to be a very long while ago. Unless of course I don't even remember it until I listen to it again, but thats beside the point. Its mostly because I wouldn't want to avert myself to past ideas, when I already know that I can do better.

Another big thing is the way I listen to it, and I think this applies to pretty much everyone. When you write the song - you are experiencing everything about it, nothing surprises you, and you will never be able to hear it as everyone else will when they listen to it for the first time. Thats the reason why when I come up to that song on my ipod, and go "meh, not right now" because I know that while I was able to create that new world, I am the only one who can see it for what it truly is and truly go to that place the song creates. Makes feel pretty lonely.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.
Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature
TeHLoY
TeHLoY
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 10:36 PM Reply

I usually have multiple exports of my music in my mp3, mainly to share with my friends my wips. Once I finish my songs, I don't bother deleting them.
So my mp3 is cluttered with 4-5 versions of the same songs, all at different stages of development.
If my mp3 is on shuffle and it plays one of those songs, I manually change it to the final version.
In other words, yes. I do listen to my music. :)

Everyone has a sig... Except me. :(

darkmelee
darkmelee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 12:31 AM Reply

dude, i have hundreds of my tracks on my ipod,a nd i'll boot up my music program and listen/watch certain projects just to hear what i've actually made (sometimes, i'm really surprised i ever got anywhere when i listen to my old midi stuff).

blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 02:11 AM Reply

I used to listen exclusively to my own music, but that's because I compose in the style I love to hear, rather than what others want to hear. It's usually my desire to listen to the finished product of a song that drives me to finish a song.

If I don't enjoy a song, it becomes almost impossible for me to finish, unfortunately.

HighBallers
HighBallers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 04:39 AM Reply

At 9/10/10 04:34 PM, jarrydn wrote: I delete my music as soon as I finish it.

what the fuck, you crazy

KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 07:23 AM Reply

Sure I do. I love what I create, and I do it with passion.
I've made silly tracks too, but man I just have a good laugh. :)

Nayhan
Nayhan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 07:47 AM Reply

At 9/11/10 04:39 AM, HighBallers wrote:
At 9/10/10 04:34 PM, jarrydn wrote: I delete my music as soon as I finish it.
what the fuck, you crazy

All the pros do it.

At 9/10/10 04:00 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I have a theory... If you don't hate your own music, you didn't put enough work into it to make it truly great.

Yea, that makes NO sense at all. Your pretty much saying that if you hate your music then you've put enough work into it. Which means your saying people should put work into making something they hate...???

don't be late | Collab101 | Australian Users List | Nayhan's actionScript examples > click

Fireball543
Fireball543
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 08:15 AM Reply

I constantly sing my songs all the time they are stuck in my head

BBS Signature
HungarianSupermarket
HungarianSupermarket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Audiophile
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 10:25 AM Reply

Why would I make music that I don't enjoy listening to?

though I make sure I am not my own top listener on last.fm

This is filler text.
The Noise I Make. || I'm not dead! || Confess. || AIM/MSN.

BBS Signature
LK412
LK412
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 10:37 AM Reply

At 9/10/10 04:00 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I have a theory... If you don't hate your own music, you didn't put enough work into it to make it truly great.
Yea, that makes NO sense at all. Your pretty much saying that if you hate your music then you've put enough work into it. Which means your saying people should put work into making something they hate...???

Good job reading the whole post dummy :P

He meant, you should hate it as in you get sick of it from playing so many times while producing it, meaning, you have to listen to it a lot to perfect it and in the end whether or not it is perfect or not, you should hate it because you heard it soooo many times you've gotten sick of it.

Nayhan
Nayhan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 11:38 AM Reply

At 9/11/10 10:37 AM, LK412 wrote:
He meant, you should hate it as in you get sick of it from playing so many times while producing it, meaning, you have to listen to it a lot to perfect it and in the end whether or not it is perfect or not, you should hate it because you heard it soooo many times you've gotten sick of it.

I get it, read it too fast... missed stuff.... It kind of makes sense but I think it's better to not get to that point, sometimes if you spend too long on a piece and listen to it too much you can't really figure out where your going wrong or could improve because your too used to how it used to be and the change seems to odd.

don't be late | Collab101 | Australian Users List | Nayhan's actionScript examples > click

xKore
xKore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 01:22 PM Reply

im sick of all my music by the time it's done, but a couple of months later i can sometimes realise in hindsight that i'm proud of a song i made. but even still, i can hear all the imperfections that i cba to fix and stuff.

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 01:41 PM Reply

I hate it. I'll keep a couple songs on my Ipod because my friends like to tell people that "im a dj" I don't correct them on the fact that i spin minimal discs, but its nice to just be able to show them real quick.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

HighBallers
HighBallers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 02:11 PM Reply

i make music for my own personal enjoyment. I really don't care if no one listens, just the fact that i think my shit rocks is satisfying enough.

baxtersband
baxtersband
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Do you listen to your own music? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 05:11 PM Reply

i dont really listen to mine, kinda boring with no vocals. i play all the inst.s in the music i have uploaded, but im in another band now and i listen to the stuff we play (mostly so i can actually hear our singer, when we track live, all of us at once i sit in front of my half stack-all i can hear is cymbals and the snare drum-and myself of course)