00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

These Lines Are Driving Me Mad!

686 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

These Lines Are Driving Me Mad! 2010-09-10 10:57:08

Okay - im trying to use the paint brush tool in flash using a graphics tablet - but every time i try to draw a thin line the line either cuts a chunk out of itself or a random bump appears in the line...

any ideas how i can tweek the paint brush options in Flash to give me smooth, crisp, hairline lines each time without having to redo them over and over?

BBS Signature

Response to These Lines Are Driving Me Mad! 2010-09-10 11:15:02

I also want to know the answer to this question. I can't stand Flash's drawing tools. They drive me mad.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to These Lines Are Driving Me Mad! 2010-09-10 11:45:39

Select the brush tool, look down at the properties and turn down the smoothing.

Response to These Lines Are Driving Me Mad! 2010-09-10 17:34:51

At 9/10/10 02:41 PM, Mark-er wrote:
At 9/10/10 10:57 AM, SammyJoes wrote: any ideas how i can tweek the paint brush options in Flash to give me smooth, crisp, hairline lines each time without having to redo them over and over?
Use the pencil tool. Perfect lines galore!

its so simple - it makes me feel like a total idiot for asking - Thanks :3

BBS Signature

Response to These Lines Are Driving Me Mad! 2010-09-10 20:33:28

At 9/10/10 11:45 AM, InsaneBrutality wrote: Select the brush tool, look down at the properties and turn down the smoothing.

Once the smoothing has been turned down, you'll be happy to find that your broken drawing tool performs badly in a different way. Getting the proper line is still a chore. I have yet to find a good smoothing level that doesn't smooth the line completely different than you wanted, or turns it into an ugly scribble. Not to mention you have to constantly adjust it depending on your zoom, line length, and the complexity of the line. It's just silly.

I would use pencil, but you can't get that thick and thin line like the Brush gives you.

I really really love ToonBoom's drawing tools, and I hope Adobe starts incorporating the natural feel of the brush strokes. I'm so tired of pressing ctrl+z 800 times a frame.

"Animation is not the art of drawings that move, but the art of movements that are drawn." -Norman McLaren

Response to These Lines Are Driving Me Mad! 2010-09-10 21:46:16

At 9/10/10 08:33 PM, PBass wrote:
At 9/10/10 11:45 AM, InsaneBrutality wrote: Select the brush tool, look down at the properties and turn down the smoothing.
Once the smoothing has been turned down, you'll be happy to find that your broken drawing tool performs badly in a different way. Getting the proper line is still a chore. I have yet to find a good smoothing level that doesn't smooth the line completely different than you wanted, or turns it into an ugly scribble. Not to mention you have to constantly adjust it depending on your zoom, line length, and the complexity of the line. It's just silly.

I would use pencil, but you can't get that thick and thin line like the Brush gives you.

I really really love ToonBoom's drawing tools, and I hope Adobe starts incorporating the natural feel of the brush strokes. I'm so tired of pressing ctrl+z 800 times a frame.

AMEN! I'm getting sick to the back teeth of constantly hitting Ctrl+Z 60 Zillion times to get the line right - and even then it doesn't look right! They really do need to sort their brush tool out on Flash - if only it worked in the same way Photoshop ones do - but then again you have the same problem using pressure sensitivity with the pen tool...

sort it out, Adobe! >.<

BBS Signature

Response to These Lines Are Driving Me Mad! 2010-09-10 22:38:55

so true, so true! If I use Brush, it takes too long to get the line right, so I turn to pencil, but it doesn't give the same effect by a brush, so I go back to brush and realise how long its going to take me to make the line right. Its so fustrating!

Response to These Lines Are Driving Me Mad! 2010-09-12 05:52:34

To get rid of the bumps, go to your tablet settings and turn down the firmness of your pen, then in flash, use a smaller brush size.
Took me a while to work it out.