New Topic Respond to this Topic
Minty-Hippo
Minty-Hippo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 01:24:59 Reply

Yeah, I know alot of people are going to say that Newgrounds isn't the place to ask for answers or even minor suggestions to problems you are having. Honestly though, with Newgrounds unique mix of Under-age, and adult users I figure this would be the best place to ask for help in this matter.

I am currently making about 88-120$ A week from work (This fluctuates depending on who, and if anyone needs to take some hours from me, and I am of course more than happy to oblige what with a busy school schedual, and an auto-immune disorder preventing me from working straight 8 hour shifts.)

I am also taking about 1200$ additional dollars a month from Government Stipends regarding my schooling.
This all in all should leave me with about 1616$ dollars a month (after finding the average of the 88-120) Take out 620 of that for Rent/Internet/Cable/ETC. That leaves me with about 996$ A month, Take out about 60$ of that for cellphone, leaving me with 930$. In the end of the month though, I come out with about... 60$ from my last paycheck.

The problem is I know where this goes, and I know how to stop it... I just have an actual problem stopping it, I don't know if it's an addiction, or a coping mechanism, but let me give you an idea of my expenses, and see if you can discover where it lies.

500$ dollars left form the 1000 After paying rent.
99$ Speakers
80$ PS2
70$ in Ps2 Games
120$ To create an account with TimeWarner (non-negotiable, and a rare occurence)
30$ eating out.
100$ Groceries.

Most other months, you can safely replace that 120$ With either, Magic cards, or More video games.

I newgrounds, Have a problem with money, I for the love of me, can not stop buying stuff, I even put my money into a bank account, and find myself infront of a store counter using my debit card to buy something (Which is something I promised myself I would never do, as I have a problem already keeping track of money, I pretty much swore off using anything but paper cash for my purchases)

I also think that I may owe a hospital money, despite the fact that I have never gotten any collection notices, and all my information is up to date (around the time I had went there my insurance just ran out so I don't know if this was before or after I went there, I pray before.)

So newgrounds, any suggestions to my very common money problem?

How did this get here? I am not good with internet.

BBS Signature
Neoncrotch
Neoncrotch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 01:26:22 Reply

I thought dollar signs were suppose to go in front of the number.

BBS Signature
Minty-Hippo
Minty-Hippo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 01:29:10 Reply

At 8/31/10 01:26 AM, Neoncouch wrote: I$ thought$ dollar$ signs$ were$ suppose$ to$ go$ in$ front$ of$ the$ number.$

In some accounting related increments they go after the number$ So the number is apparent first, and no errors can be made confusing a $ for a 5.

BBS Signature
XenonMonkey
XenonMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 01:29:23 Reply

At 8/31/10 01:26 AM, Neoncouch wrote: I thought dollar signs were suppose to go in front of the number.

That's all I can say other than Tl;Dr

BBS Signature
CoCo
CoCo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 01:29:51 Reply

Only one I can think of is to not eat out. Like, if you're with friends then obviously you might buy food. But if you're by yourself then eat what you got at home.

Lost the love of heaven above, Chose the lust of the earth below
Eleven saintly shrouded men, Came to wash my sins away
Sig by Valjylmyr

BBS Signature
Whoshotdabear
Whoshotdabear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 01:31:39 Reply

There's this little thing called Self Control. I suggest you get some instead buying those sneakers.

Minty-Hippo
Minty-Hippo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 01:32:16 Reply

At 8/31/10 01:31 AM, Whoshotdabear wrote: There's this little thing called Self Control. I suggest you get some instead buying those sneakers.

I don't buy lots of sneakers... I'm not black.

BBS Signature
Whoshotdabear
Whoshotdabear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 01:35:31 Reply

At 8/31/10 01:32 AM, Minty-Hippo wrote:
At 8/31/10 01:31 AM, Whoshotdabear wrote: There's this little thing called Self Control. I suggest you get some instead buying those sneakers.

I mean you shouldn't buy sneakers in general if you don't need them you fucking idiot.

Wunderbar
Wunderbar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 01:44:40 Reply

At 8/31/10 01:35 AM, Whoshotdabear wrote:
At 8/31/10 01:32 AM, Minty-Hippo wrote:
I mean you shouldn't buy sneakers in general if you don't need them you fucking idiot.

I just laughed my ass off at this.

*clap* *clap* *clap* And I have no idea why *clap* *clap*

­    ­    ­    ­   ­    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 ­    ­    ­    ­   ­    ╰⋃╯私の腰は、自分自身で動いて­いる
­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­    ­      ­ やりまん

BBS Signature
nakedxbabe
nakedxbabe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 02:42:20 Reply

500$ you could have given to a starving child in africa
99$ you could have gave to a homeless person
80$ you could have gave to a cancer center
70$ you could have given to a starving sick child
120$ you could have given to hurricane katrina
30$ you could have given to the people who lost their lives in 9/11 or people who lost the ones they love at war in iraq
100$ you could have spent to be a better much more decent person

how about that!

Myspace
Website Coming SoonPurevolume
<BR>Perfection Confection Sugar, you can use it on babies.

BBS Signature
SoulPiker
SoulPiker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 02:47:07 Reply

I think you should sell your penis.

You are now breathing manually. You are now aware of your posture. You can now feel your clothes on your body. You now itch in various places.

Ptero
Ptero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 02:48:20 Reply

At 8/31/10 02:42 AM, MisterWonderful wrote: how about that!

Well, I'm pretty sure he still needs that grocery money.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 03:47:33 Reply

$60 a month for your cellphone? Is that your monthly contract? Holy shit dude! I don't know how many calls you make daily, but I pay no more than 8 euros. Surely you must be able to cut down on that.

What I always read as tips for staying good financially is to keep track of all your monthly incomes and outcomes. You can easily see where you're spending too much. I suppose you're already doing that now and looking at your list, I think you are spending way too much on videogames and such. You're going over $200 dollars a month with that sometimes, do you really need like... 3 or 4 new games every month to keep yourself entertained?

It should really not be that hard to spend less on this and other things you do not need. If you got a problem with that, you should probably seek (professional) help or consider moving back to your parents if it's possible.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
PoloPancake
PoloPancake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 04:00:01 Reply

Just stop spending.

Keep your money somewhere you can't have access to it that easily, and you'll see it starting to grow.

What you don't have in your hand, you can't spend.

Placeholder signature.

36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 04:05:08 Reply

At 8/31/10 01:32 AM, Minty-Hippo wrote: I don't buy lots of sneakers... I'm not black.
At 8/31/10 01:24 AM, Minty-Hippo wrote: 99$ Speakers

Yeah so you should stop being a jackass on the internet. Thanks.

OP, I would suggest that you should think about the things you want versus the things you absolutely need. Food/toiletries etc. should be your first priority, and a hundred bucks a month isn't too bad. Also cut out most of the video game expenses. 70 dollars on PS2 games is roughly about 4-6 games at todays prices and you don't need to play that many games in a month. One way you could cover that at a lower montly price would be to get a rental service like Gamefly which is roughly 8-20 dollars a month depending on your plan with them. Assuming the other costs are just one time things like the PS2 and the speakers it's best to try to put that in the bank and not use it unless it's absolutely needed, and no games aren't an absolute necessity. Try replaying some old games instead of buying a new one or come up with another hobby that's less expensive.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
ryanboy8
ryanboy8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 04:12:28 Reply

The fact that my parents are rich has never given me the fact I don't need alot of money. Again, I own my own house instead of an apartment, and I still don't spend this much.

Do or die.

iamgrimreaper
iamgrimreaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Programmer
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 04:20:20 Reply

You're gonna end up a hobo unless you have a high paying job. Try to keep your money somewhere that you wouldn't be able to get it because of a limitation. Say, for example, you're lazy. Take some time to put away your money somewhere far away. Cause then when something comes up, you'd be too lazy to get it.

BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 04:27:51 Reply

At 8/31/10 04:20 AM, iamgrimreaper wrote: You're gonna end up a hobo unless you have a high paying job. Try to keep your money somewhere that you wouldn't be able to get it because of a limitation.

Yeah, put it on a savings account.
You'll get some interest too.

It's what I'm gonna do once I get some money.

leferink
leferink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 05:24:07 Reply

you need money problems?

leferink
leferink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 06:28:51 Reply

At 8/31/10 04:20 AM, iamgrimreaper wrote: You're gonna end up a hobo unless you have a high paying job. Try to keep your money somewhere that you wouldn't be able to get it because of a limitation. Say, for example, you're lazy. Take some time to put away your money somewhere far away. Cause then when something comes up, you'd be too lazy to get it.

this is a good idea

Whoshotdabear
Whoshotdabear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to I need Help/Money Problems 2010-08-31 13:25:24 Reply

At 8/31/10 01:32 AM, Minty-Hippo wrote: I: : I mean you shouldn't buy sneakers in general if you don't need them you fucking idiot.
At 8/31/10 01:24 AM, Minty-Hippo wrote: 99$ Speakers

Ohhhh Speakers my bad. But yeah you're still a retard blowing your money on that.