00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cosoden just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Manchester Meet 2011

41,971 Views | 638 Replies

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 10:39:32

At 12/23/10 10:35 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote: I estimate buying a pint not being mandatory.

I estimate you're not Scottish then.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 10:44:24

At 12/23/10 10:39 AM, Dean wrote: I estimate you're not Scottish then.

You estimate correctly.

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 10:54:45

At 12/23/10 10:39 AM, Dean wrote:
At 12/23/10 10:35 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote: I estimate buying a pint not being mandatory.
I estimate you're not Scottish then.

In America, drinking is bad.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 11:34:40

To avoid the terrible alcohol prices, I'm just going to drink a pint of whiskey at breakfast.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 11:40:49

At 12/23/10 10:23 AM, Bezman wrote: I'm definitely there for the full weekend. BGT is on the 18th - a Tuesday. Communication cock up.

Luis, How long will be hanging out in the Chill Factor? That's going to be the main factor in my decision to ski or not to ski. Probably only worth it if it's 2hrs+ since it seems to cost £25 for 1hr and £5 for each subsequent hour.

I'm definitely wanting a place on that bus. Or should we be PMing you with these statements/questions?

Yea PM me that info if you could. It's hard to say how long we'll be at Chill Factor, I think we'll be there for a good chunk of time though. From what liljim mentioned, it will probably be busy on Saturday so i dont imagine we'll just show up and be instantly whisked away to the slope. It's fine anyway, some people like myself are just gonna hang out anyway so we've got most of the day there regardless.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 12:30:05

Hmm. According to Luis, most people are staying in the Premier Inn next to the event location, however I've come across another hotel within walking distance of the meet events, and for me it works out as exactly the same price (£88) for the two nights I was going to book.

The Sachas hotel is right in-between the meet and the train station I'll be using to get there and back, so for me it looks tempting, but I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone can spot a reason not to go with it. Thoughts?

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 12:44:16

At 12/23/10 12:30 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Hmm. According to Luis, most people are staying in the Premier Inn next to the event location, however I've come across another hotel within walking distance of the meet events, and for me it works out as exactly the same price (£88) for the two nights I was going to book.

The Sachas hotel is right in-between the meet and the train station I'll be using to get there and back, so for me it looks tempting, but I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone can spot a reason not to go with it. Thoughts?

I usually run the hotels by TripAdvisor to see how other folks reviewed it. I was turned off by the amount of negative reviews on the Sachas.
Ping

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 12:52:57

At 12/23/10 12:44 PM, Luis wrote: I usually run the hotels by TripAdvisor to see how other folks reviewed it. I was turned off by the amount of negative reviews on the Sachas.

Call me unrefined (and you'd be right), but I'm happy with a bed and a structurally sound roof. Mildew, torn wallpaper and old-fashioned furniture are of no concern to me.

Besides, the hotel I had in London for the 2009 summer meet had all kinds of shit written about it, and how much of it turned out to be true? None.
I conclude that people who review hotels are pathetic whiners... and that I'm a hopeless judge of interior design. Either way, I've learned not to trust them since their standards are often way above what I'm after in a hotel.

Of course, that's just me. If you're not into crap like that, I don't blame you.

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 13:30:53

At 12/23/10 10:23 AM, Bezman wrote: Luis, How long will be hanging out in the Chill Factor? That's going to be the main factor in my decision to ski or not to ski. Probably only worth it if it's 2hrs+ since it seems to cost £25 for 1hr and £5 for each subsequent hour.

I'm definitely wanting a place on that bus. Or should we be PMing you with these statements/questions?

That's a good question and the simple answer is YES.

I can't stress how important it is to get all the details of what you intend to do over to Luis, who has put together a set of google docs for him and I to keep track of what everyone's needs are.

Those who have expressed an interest in coming should have already had a PM asking for details from Luis. In it, you should have been asked whether:

a) you are going to need transport to and from the ChillFactore

b) when there, whether you intend to ski and more importantly whether or not you need a lesson. The lesson is the key factor here, not that I've ever been there for one, but I have a feeling you have to pre-book them. You can't just rock up and expect to get booked in.

c) your age. If there enough under 18s turning up who are going to be staying for the evening then we need to think about whether to organise something for you to do during the evening, or let you decide that between yourselves.

d) any other notes you might have.

The 16 seater mini-bus quotes I've had work out at £5 return per person if 16 people are using it. We're already up to 14 confirms on that front, but there are 38 people on the list.

We can order another mini-bus if there are enough confirmed requests, or taxis if we know about it in advance, but I'm of the opinion if you turn up expecting a ride without having told us so and there's no room... well, tough shit, you'll have to make your own way there and back, which will work out considerably more expensive.

Bez, if you want to stay for 2 hours' skiing, I'll do that with you. You didn't specify whether or not you needed a lesson, though. I guess we're going to be hanging out at the place for maybe 4 or 5 hours (get dinner at one of the restaurants there or whatever before heading back into town), so there should be more than enough time for all of that.

At the end of the day, we don't want anyone feeling disappointed, so everyone get your shit together.

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 13:36:32

At 12/23/10 12:52 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: I conclude that people who review hotels are pathetic whiners... and that I'm a hopeless judge of interior design. Either way, I've learned not to trust them since their standards are often way above what I'm after in a hotel.

Thats cool, everyone's different. Do what works for your budget and travel style. You wanted thoughts and gave you mine based on how I go about things. I'm probably much pickier than you are.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 14:08:08

At 12/23/10 01:36 PM, Luis wrote: Thats cool, everyone's different.

Iz okay. :3

I was thinking more in terms of where the two hotels are:
If I go for the Sachas, I'll not likely need to pay for taxis to anywhere (save liljim's £5 minibus :D) thanks to it being within walking distance of everything I'm wanting to go see.
However, the novelty of shacking up with internet randomers in the same building is an interesting one to say the least...

Hmm... Do I go for convenience or curiosity...? Tough call.

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 15:13:58

At 12/23/10 01:30 PM, liljim wrote: b) when there, whether you intend to ski and more importantly whether or not you need a lesson. The lesson is the key factor here, not that I've ever been there for one, but I have a feeling you have to pre-book them. You can't just rock up and expect to get booked in.

I think that even for the 'lift pass' (letting you use slopes and ski rental included), we should pre-book. Specially since there are so many of us and Saturdays are probably busiest. You book a specific time and so if we have our shit together, there shouldn't be too much waiting. Although cushion time is always good.

But I imagine the lessons will go earlier since there are finite instructors.

Students and 'juniors' get a discount so maybe it makes sense for folk to book individually once the time's been decided? I'm not sure you could book without paying up front and doing that for 16 folk is probably too financially risky for you guys...

On the website, it seemed like the largest group-lesson you can book (and get a discount) for is 4. I might be wrong though...

Bez, if you want to stay for 2 hours' skiing, I'll do that with you. You didn't specify whether or not you needed a lesson, though. I guess we're going to be hanging out at the place for maybe 4 or 5 hours (get dinner at one of the restaurants there or whatever before heading back into town), so there should be more than enough time for all of that.

In my PM to Luis, I suggested 3hrs. Short enough that drinkers don't get bored; long enough that skiiers have a chance to get slightly tired. You need basic competency for them to let you on without a lesson. I'm hoping that I'll remember the basics from when I was a lad... Used to be alright but not done it in decades.

Seems like a really fun idea and I'm starting to look forward to it now!

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 16:47:27

Running through available sessions. As for lessons, its look like there's nine slots left for taster ski lessons at 4pm. (Since I'm pretty sure we won't make it there for 2pm.) Looks like there's no tubing after 1:30pm, so we're stuck with the luge for other activities.

Incidentally, if you can find an under 16 year old to team up with, you can probably save a couple of pennies with a Family ticket (1 adult, 1 junior) which effectively reduces the adult's ticket to junior price.

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-23 16:59:15

wish I could go, I always wanted to see manchester, because my uncle has been there and he told me stories as a kid but to bad I can't I don't have the Money.

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-25 00:47:44

Looking at train ticket prices now, isn't that expensive, like £10-£30 and considering I have £150 to blow money shouldn't be a problem, unlike london where I was struggling because of that late night cab I had to take to Luis'. I'll need some final details on time and places from you Luis before I book so I know what's going down.

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-26 01:11:59

Oh man, this is close now!

Why does everything keep sneaking up on me?

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-27 13:05:31

At 12/26/10 01:11 AM, Ockeroid wrote: Oh man, this is close now!

Why does everything keep sneaking up on me?

You're getting old.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-27 20:50:27

£12 for return train tickets? bargain.

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-27 20:53:00

At 12/27/10 08:50 PM, Oliver wrote: £12 for return train tickets? bargain.

Where the fuck are you getting these train tickets from?

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-27 21:05:07

At 12/27/10 08:53 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
At 12/27/10 08:50 PM, Oliver wrote: £12 for return train tickets? bargain.
Where the fuck are you getting these train tickets from?

the train line - the one thing telly has taught me.

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-27 21:09:39

At 12/27/10 09:05 PM, Oliver wrote: the train line - the one thing telly has taught me.

Aww nutsacks!
I'm using the train line too, but mine cost like £30. I thought there might be a super secret discount site somewhere... :(

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-27 22:07:14

I keep forgetting to book my damn bus tickets. I will do it tomorrow.

Jordan, if you happen to read this, ask me if I've bought my bus tickets yet.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-28 07:18:34

At 12/28/10 07:17 AM, Jawdyn wrote:
At 12/27/10 10:07 PM, Dean wrote: I keep forgetting to book my damn bus tickets. I will do it tomorrow.

Jordan, if you happen to read this, ask me if I've bought my bus tickets yet.
DEAN, BOOK THE DAMN TICKETS!

Do it for me Dean...

lel

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-28 07:57:20

Bus tickets have been booked, so I think that's me all sorted. Now it's just a case of waiting for the day to arrive.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-28 11:08:51

At 12/28/10 07:57 AM, Dean wrote: Bus tickets have been booked, so I think that's me all sorted. Now it's just a case of waiting for the day to arrive.

Going to be a long wait my friend....

lel

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-28 12:19:05

At 12/27/10 09:09 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
At 12/27/10 09:05 PM, Oliver wrote: the train line - the one thing telly has taught me.
Aww nutsacks!
I'm using the train line too, but mine cost like £30. I thought there might be a super secret discount site somewhere... :(

yeah, the prices can suck, was going to book something earlier today, but in between checking the price and using the forgotten password form, boom, 80% more

also some of these sites WILL fuck you over with added fees for postage, card use etc, go through nationalrail and you should avoid them

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-30 13:01:14

At 12/30/10 12:57 PM, Jawdyn wrote: Guys, please don't let me get drunk

All I have to say to that one is; Scousers.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-30 13:19:05

At 12/30/10 12:57 PM, Jawdyn wrote: Guys, please don't let me get drunk

What the hell are you trying to do, fuck the wall?

lel

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-30 16:37:34

At 12/28/10 07:17 AM, Jawdyn wrote: The HUB page seems to be down. :o

Should be working now. I forgot to pay my bill for the hosting. Actually i still havent paid it. but its back up again anyway.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Manchester Meet 2011 2010-12-30 16:38:16

Can't go guys! I'll be in Peach Creek where I am now! Sorry!