Be a Supporter!

Can you really "win" an arguement?

  • 1,050 Views
  • 48 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
UberCream
UberCream
  • Member since: Nov. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Animator
Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 02:29 AM Reply

Is that even possible? I don't think I have, in my entire life, won an arguement. Any arguement I've ever been in always involves me and the other party either agreeing to disagree or storming off in disgust. I've never once gotten someone to switch to my side of an issue that way. I have convinced people in regular discussions, but these chats are never "heated" in any way, and are typically more casual.

This is especially true with people on the internet, as they have the cloak of anonymity to hide under.

Have you ever been in a heated arguement that had a clear-cut winner?


"I'm in love with UberCream." - Max Gilardi.

Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Animator
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 02:32 AM Reply

There's like a 5% chance of someone actually WINNING an arguement.

Human's are stubborn.

As for me? Once. But it wasn't a belief. I think it was an actor who played in some movie. I pulled up a page on the internet and was like, "See?!"

Can't even remember who/what it was.


"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
CoCo
CoCo
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 02:35 AM Reply

"You can't win an argument against an ignorant man."

Something like that.

Lost the love of heaven above, Chose the lust of the earth below
Eleven saintly shrouded men, Came to wash my sins away
Sig by Valjylmyr

BBS Signature
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Member since: Jul. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 02:35 AM Reply

At 8/26/10 02:29 AM, UberCream wrote: Is that even possible? I don't think I have, in my entire life, won an arguement. Any arguement I've ever been in always involves me and the other party either agreeing to disagree or storming off in disgust. I've never once gotten someone to switch to my side of an issue that way. I have convinced people in regular discussions, but these chats are never "heated" in any way, and are typically more casual.

This is especially true with people on the internet, as they have the cloak of anonymity to hide under.

Have you ever been in a heated arguement that had a clear-cut winner?

Arguments over opinions have no winner, and those are like 98% of the arguments I see. Both may try to sound intellectual and pass off their opinion as fact (something we all do from time to time), but there is no winner.

I've won and lost arguments where the deciding point was stating actual proven facts, but do those really count as arguments? Even then, the other person could just be ignorant to the truth. How does one beat ignorance.

None of my arguments have been heated.


Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
Lintire
Lintire
  • Member since: Aug. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 02:43 AM Reply

I yield in a few arguments, and tend to win a lot more then my fellow man. I don't why, but I think it's the whole win/loss ratio, see? I try to keep an open mind to the floor and all, but when the opposing party tries to pass off their argument as the best, pointing out all my flaws and all their pros, neglecting to do the same for vice-versa, then well, it's probably not so much an argument as them simply trying to get you lose.

I don't participate in those arguments, Which is why me and my parents aren't on good terms.

Ass-Crumb
Ass-Crumb
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 02:45 AM Reply

you may not be able to 'win' an argument, but you can sway any neutral parties and make your opponent look like a stupid fuck.

that or embarass yourself.


Good Threads: 1 2 3 4 5
I can't see shit

BBS Signature
UberCream
UberCream
  • Member since: Nov. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Animator
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 02:54 AM Reply

At 8/26/10 02:45 AM, Ass-Crumb wrote: you may not be able to 'win' an argument, but you can sway any neutral parties and make your opponent look like a stupid fuck.

that or embarass yourself.

Oh, I've had my share of that... (Wall of text ahead)

This one time in Spanish class, my teacher was out and the substitute was negligent so everyone just sat there talking all period. Of course, I never try to start an arguement, and what happened was that one of those Twilight lovin' cunt bitches burst into the conversation I was having with my friend about how zombies are better than vampires. She of course starts going off about how kewl they are, and how unlike zombies, vampires can be emotionally deep and have dark mysterious pasts and what not. The arguement went on, and right as I responded to a different point, the entire class got completely silent for no reason while I was only a few words into this sentence: "If anything, the popularity of zombies should show how much better they are than vampires, since they don't need a mega-hit book and movie franchise that caters to the lowest common denominator in order to become popular and culturally relevant." Yes, I actually did say that, almost word for word. For some reason I didn't stop saying the sentence when the class became silent and everyone heard it, which was really awkward, no matter how very right I was.

words words words

"I'm in love with UberCream." - Max Gilardi.

Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 03:35 AM Reply

I've gotten the other person to change their mind and agree with me lol. But I'm sure I've realized someone else made more sense before too.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Makakaov
Makakaov
  • Member since: Jun. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 03:36 AM Reply

I always do.

satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 03:36 AM Reply

you can make fun of it.


(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
Raab
Raab
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 03:38 AM Reply

I win arguments with the gf all the time...
...mostly because she gets angry about stupid shit that can be easily resolved.


BBS Signature
Makakaov
Makakaov
  • Member since: Jun. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 03:39 AM Reply

At 8/26/10 03:38 AM, XxRobJohnsonxX wrote: I win arguments with the gf all the time...
...mostly because she gets angry about stupid shit that can be easily resolved.

I think ripping her guts out would learn that bitch a lesson. No arguments with your man.

Psycho666
Psycho666
  • Member since: Aug. 6, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 03:42 AM Reply

This whole topic just begs for a classic "yes" followed by a lock. Of course, now saying that provides reason for it not to happen at all.


BBS Signature
Grammar-Nazi
Grammar-Nazi
  • Member since: May. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 03:42 AM Reply

Guy 1: Tom Cruise did not play in Top Gun!

Guy 2: Oh yes he did.

Guy 1: No no, there's no way he did.

Guy 2: *gets Top Gun dvd case* See he did, it says so right here on the case!

Guy 1: Oh, I guess he did. You were right.


BBS Signature
Raab
Raab
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Movie Buff
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 03:42 AM Reply

At 8/26/10 03:39 AM, Makakaov wrote:
At 8/26/10 03:38 AM, XxRobJohnsonxX wrote: I win arguments with the gf all the time...
...mostly because she gets angry about stupid shit that can be easily resolved.
I think ripping her guts out would learn that bitch a lesson. No arguments with your man.

Although ripping out her guts would resolve the short-term goal of ending the argument...
The long-term goal of having a good relationship would ultimately be a failure.

A for effort, however.


BBS Signature
Loki
Loki
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Writer
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 03:43 AM Reply

Not on the internet, you cant. You can just look like a moron arguing on the Internet.

WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 03:53 AM Reply

Yes you can. I promise you... You CAN.

Can you really "win" an arguement?

iamgrimreaper
iamgrimreaper
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Programmer
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 03:54 AM Reply

You just suck at it, is all.


BBS Signature
Ass-Crumb
Ass-Crumb
  • Member since: Mar. 31, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 05:05 AM Reply

At 8/26/10 03:54 AM, iamgrimreaper wrote: You just suck at it, is all.

So do you, Mr. 'I wingman myself with alts' iamgrimreaper, you 12 year old twat.


Good Threads: 1 2 3 4 5
I can't see shit

BBS Signature
sixflab
sixflab
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 05:21 AM Reply

It's possible but usually unlikely once the argument reaches a heated and angry stage.

HazeStigma
HazeStigma
  • Member since: Dec. 31, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 05:27 AM Reply

Its pretty much just making the other person agree to your opinion, thats all it is.


Fear Me! "You are a government organization designed to monitor the NG BBS. you hide behind your smiles but there is something very sinister about you, oh yes." - DragonFyre9

BBS Signature
RubberTrucky
RubberTrucky
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 05:28 AM Reply

At 8/26/10 03:42 AM, Grammar-Nazi wrote: Guy 1: Tom Cruise did not play in Top Gun!

Guy 2: Oh yes he did.

Guy 1: No no, there's no way he did.

Guy 2: *gets Top Gun dvd case* See he did, it says so right here on the case!

Guy 1: Oh, I guess he did. You were right.

Yeah, arguments about stuff that have a solid answer, can be won with ease. It's just when debating morals or ideology that probably won't be won. That's because ideology is subjective and there is no absolute objective truth one can choose.


RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!
Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.
Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

BBS Signature
DemiseAnimation
DemiseAnimation
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 05:41 AM Reply

People that are willing to enter heated arguments generally are so convinced that their point of view is correct that if you even "win" on points, facts or general believability they will still remain exactly as they were at the start.

And them being anonymous doesn't help either.


You must either upload a picture, or enter some text for your signature.

Snuff
Snuff
  • Member since: Oct. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 05:58 AM Reply

Once two people are locked in an argument and have strongly voiced their opinions its like a sign of weakness for one of them to admit their opinion is wrong and they wont want to back down.

So 'winning' and argument is pretty rare.

wtfyourface
wtfyourface
  • Member since: Oct. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 06:00 AM Reply

Oh yes, many times. My logic usually works around most, and in the end, they end up saying, "you know Kayla, you're right" and I'm like BAAAAAAAM DAMN RIGHT.


asdf

Archawn
Archawn
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 09:44 AM Reply

I've never successfully convinced the opposing party that my view is correct (in a philosophical or political debate), so no, I haven't "won" in that sense of the term.

The above is true simply because the less someone knows about a topic, the more confidently they argue.

It certainly is possible, however, to outsmart and outwit your opponent, leaving them with nothing to do but storm off in a rage and/or spit out incomprehensible words and phrases in a dying attempt to nullify your argument.

Famiry
Famiry
  • Member since: May. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 09:46 AM Reply

I'll admit when I'm wrong. I'm not too proud... but yeah, I've never met anyone like me. I hate the world.

DumbassDude
DumbassDude
  • Member since: Aug. 24, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Voice Actor
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 09:59 AM Reply

I've won plenty of arguements. My advice is to not start arguements unless you 100% fucking certain you are right, otherwise you are made to be out a stubborn arsehole, which is what you are trying to do to the other person if they so hastily disagree.

You can win an arguement, you just have to approach it right and know your shit.


BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 11:01 AM Reply

It depends on how intense the argument is. If there are two people who are really yelling at each other, then I doubt anybody truly wins. I would know this because my mom and brother get into the worst arguments you could ever imagine and it never ends well. When one of them says, "You won the argument" it only make the only person angrier saying they do not want to win an argument, just prove a point. I have been in so few arguments like that myself I do not even want to think about how that works.


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

iamgrimreaper
iamgrimreaper
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Programmer
Response to Can you really "win" an arguement? Aug. 26th, 2010 @ 11:41 AM Reply

At 8/26/10 05:05 AM, Ass-Crumb wrote:
At 8/26/10 03:54 AM, iamgrimreaper wrote: You just suck at it, is all.
So do you, Mr. 'I wingman myself with alts' iamgrimreaper, you 12 year old twat.

My alts haven't posted in a thread I have for the past 4 months, Mr. 'I stalk this iamgrimreaper guy's posts and say he's 12 even though there's no proof because I like to troll" Ass-Crumb, you 12 year old twat.


BBS Signature