New Topic Respond to this Topic
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-25 16:11:48 Reply

I purchased a domain not long ago for future use (there's no pages on it yet). On the WHOIS it has my full address, ect; Any idea on how I might change that?

My registrar is Moniker.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
CrownNation
CrownNation
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-25 16:33:43 Reply

From what I understand, when you register you can pay a bit more to make your address private. You may be able to contact your the company you registered with and pay a bit more to make it private.

BBS Signature
Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-25 16:39:44 Reply

You can probably pay a little extra and they will hide your information. Or you could enter false information. Its up to you. But WHOIS information is public information. I would still leave at least an email address in case someone needs to get in touch and you dont have that info on the site.

PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik
irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-25 16:47:15 Reply

Either purchase whois protection (some offer it for free, moniker don't, you have to pay a few $) or deal with it. However you should know, now that your domain has had public whois it will always be archived, so while you can hide it for the future, anyone who caches domain data (many services do also) will have your address.

So yeah, your info is public forever now, it's not worth bothering about. Mine is all public, you're fine.

At 8/25/10 04:39 PM, Jon-86 wrote: You can probably pay a little extra and they will hide your information. Or you could enter false information. Its up to you. But WHOIS information is public information. I would still leave at least an email address in case someone needs to get in touch and you dont have that info on the site.

DO NOT use fake information. If ICANN "catch" you (or someone reports you) they will (and do) revoke domain names. Using fake information will risk your domain, it really is not worth it.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-25 16:56:23 Reply

At 8/25/10 04:47 PM, citricsquid wrote: DO NOT use fake information. If ICANN "catch" you (or someone reports you) they will (and do) revoke domain names. Using fake information will risk your domain, it really is not worth it.

That is exactly what happened with Ebaumsworld and SomethingAwful (I think) finding out about (and reporting) it some years ago.

Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-25 18:00:58 Reply

Thanks guys, but there's another problem. This is a .US domain, they don't offer a private batch... Should I just "deal" with it? If so, is there a way I can change my address data? Because I don't mind using my future address.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-25 19:15:58 Reply

At 8/25/10 06:00 PM, GOTHCLAWZ wrote: Thanks guys, but there's another problem. This is a .US domain, they don't offer a private batch... Should I just "deal" with it? If so, is there a way I can change my address data? Because I don't mind using my future address.

Whether or not you change it now, the data is out there forever. If someone wants to do anything malicious the damage is already done, finding archived whois data is as easy as finding right now whois data.

What you can do is look into companies that offer "proxy" whois ownership, so you put the ownership as them and then when they get emails they're forwarded to you. So they know your identity but whois doesn't display your address.

but really, it isn't worth the hassle :)

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-25 20:25:55 Reply

At 8/25/10 04:56 PM, liljim wrote:
At 8/25/10 04:47 PM, citricsquid wrote: DO NOT use fake information. If ICANN "catch" you (or someone reports you) they will (and do) revoke domain names. Using fake information will risk your domain, it really is not worth it.
That is exactly what happened with Ebaumsworld and SomethingAwful (I think) finding out about (and reporting) it some years ago.

Really! I never knew that... I could see the point if it were a business but I dont know why they would care if it were a personal site. Seems a bit bureaucratic.

BBS Signature
Jessii
Jessii
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-25 21:38:39 Reply

You need to have proper info pointing to a real person and real address. When I was with Dreamhost, they have a feature that allows you to set up proxy information so that it looks like Dreamhost is the owner of the domain. This is so that your personal info isn't out there for spammers to send you all kinds of crap through email and snail mail. Maybe your registrar has a proxy service to do that. It wouldn't hurt to ask because falsifying information can get you into trouble.

Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-26 06:00:15 Reply

I put a fake phone number on my domain because I dont see any reason to have that their, and I dont really use the phone. The address is ok and I use an alias for my email so if it gets spammed I can just change the alias and it will still go to the same address.

Would they do me for having a false number? Also is their any law related to this if so dose it change from country to country?

BBS Signature
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-26 08:59:52 Reply

At 8/26/10 06:00 AM, Jon-86 wrote: Would they do me for having a false number? Also is their any law related to this if so dose it change from country to country?

There is no law, because domains are a "private" thing. ICANN do make the rules though and if they do catch you with fake information and you don't fix it, they will revoke access to your domain. It doesn't happen often, but if someone reports you or your registrar notices (godaddy sometimes check) then you're up shit creek.

So no, you're not breaking the law, but you are breaking the terms that ICANN set, so if you do get caught you'll lose your domain, but you wouldn't be legally in trouble.

smulse
smulse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-26 09:44:47 Reply

I don't see what the problem is. I've had my personal information on whois for years and years, and I've never had anyone email, write to me, call me, try to rape my face etc.

BBS Signature
Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-26 10:40:25 Reply

I don't like it, it should be a choice if your site is not a business. It shouldn't be forced onto you.

At 8/26/10 09:44 AM, smulse wrote: I don't see what the problem is. I've had my personal information on whois for years and years, and I've never had anyone email, write to me, call me, try to rape my face etc.

It makes identity theft easier, I honestly try to be careful with my information but a few months ago two payments (around £40-£50) were taken out of my bank for something I had nothing to do with. The bank were good enough to give me the money back because it was obvious fraud. And they sent me a new card then and their.

But what if it was for a lot of money? First I would be fucked and then the bank might not give me it back if I couldn't prove it was fraud. And the fraudsters were smart about it, the had taken two small amounts the week before in an identical transaction for about £1-£2 and obviously thinking I dont check my bank or that I didn't notice it they tried to take more.

And if I didn't check my bank most days who knows how long that would have went on.

I'm not putting that down to my details being on my DNS record, but I do put it down to ID theft.

BBS Signature
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-26 10:54:03 Reply

At 8/26/10 10:40 AM, Jon-86 wrote: I don't like it, it should be a choice if your site is not a business. It shouldn't be forced onto you.

It is, pay for private whois if you care about your data being public.

smulse
smulse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-26 17:02:05 Reply

At 8/26/10 10:40 AM, Jon-86 wrote:
At 8/26/10 09:44 AM, smulse wrote: rape my face
It makes identity theft easier, I honestly try to be careful with my information. I'm not putting that down to my details being on my DNS record, but I do put it down to ID theft.

Oh yeah that's not what I'm saying, of course it's important to look after your personal data. But there's worse things you can do than have your address and phone number on a whois - and I personally have never had any issues as a result.

BBS Signature
Jon-86
Jon-86
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to How Do I Change My Domain's Whois? 2010-08-26 19:36:39 Reply

At 8/26/10 10:54 AM, citricsquid wrote:
At 8/26/10 10:40 AM, Jon-86 wrote: I don't like it, it should be a choice if your site is not a business. It shouldn't be forced onto you.
It is, pay for private whois if you care about your data being public.

Why should you pay though? You've already paid for your domain...

At 8/26/10 05:02 PM, smulse wrote: and I personally have never had any issues as a result.

I don't really, I just don't see why its a necessity. For individuals theirs nothing to gain and no legal obligations for having it versus a business that is legaly required to have a postal address somewhere on their site.

BBS Signature