New Topic Respond to this Topic
Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to What do you think? Sep. 9th, 2010 @ 07:23 AM Reply

Well, commenting on the art, it's a shame that you've stuff to the pencil medium - anime benefits from a touch up with the ink pen, and while you always run the risk of ruining the piece, it's better then nothing.

Otherwise, I have to say, it looks as though you've copied it from a how-to book - the proportions are way off, the expressions and costumes generic, the pre-planning huge, and otherwise bears all the signs of something, well, fairly generic.

However, carry it through and you'll be sporting your own look in no time. It's obvious that you've learned how to learn to draw, so I won't waste your time telling you how, only telling you to give us some regular updates :D

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 9th, 2010 @ 08:11 AM Reply

At 9/9/10 07:23 AM, Lintire wrote:

Well, to tell you the truth I've never been taught how to draw, i've only recently learned about guidelines and used them, maybe that's why my proportions are off

WiZBiN-Yoshi-1
WiZBiN-Yoshi-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What do you think? Sep. 9th, 2010 @ 09:15 AM Reply

looks to me that you are on your way though, know what everyone else said. Just try to think about proportions in every art you see - it kinda helps you stay on guard while you draw your own stuff; You'll go like " Oh I can do it kinda like that cool picture I saw earlier ".

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 9th, 2010 @ 09:42 PM Reply

At 9/8/10 12:27 PM, BansheeIndian wrote:

Vheck this out did the porportions come out right?

What do you think?

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 9th, 2010 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At 9/9/10 08:11 AM, JoseFonz wrote:
Well, to tell you the truth I've never been taught how to draw, i've only recently learned about guidelines and used them, maybe that's why my proportions are off

Here's the thing: I haven't received any training either. I've never even really used a tutorial. I need some training (quite badly), but you can get much better over time by yourself. There are a number of people in this forum who are completely self-taught. Training isn't what makes an artist, dedication and willingness to improve are. You're showing willingness, which is very good. Just keep at it and you'll get better. We'll help you out.

As for the new drawing, no, the proportions aren't quite right. Sorry. The upper torso looks okay, so I'll comment on some other things. The hips are too narrow (hips are usually around the same width as the shoulders) and this leads to the legs being too small as well. This problem stems out of the strange-ish angle you have the waist at. The head also looks a bit too small. Getting the head the right size for a body can be a bit tricky, but it's a trick you'll want to try and nail.

I'd also like to mention that it's really good that you're starting out by sketching things out. That's a great way to improve on composition in a simple manner before moving on to more complex things.
Keep at it.

My Art Thread.
Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature
JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 9th, 2010 @ 09:58 PM Reply

At 9/9/10 09:51 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 9/9/10 08:11 AM, JoseFonz wrote:
As for the new drawing, no, the proportions aren't quite right. Sorry. The upper torso looks okay, so I'll comment on some other things. The hips are too narrow (hips are usually around the same width as the shoulders) and this leads to the legs being too small as well. This problem stems out of the strange-ish angle you have the waist at. The head also looks a bit too small. Getting the head the right size for a body can be a bit tricky, but it's a trick you'll want to try and nail.

Well, Lux, the reason why the legs look so small is that i have a really crappy camera and for some reason it resizes the legs im looking at the picture in my desktop and the legs look porportional to me i think it's because the angle i took the picture, cause right now i just noticed the legs are waay smaller than they are in the paper i drew them on.

And as for the waist it looks alright to me but again i blame the camera, and as for the head, it's mostly my fault it's really tricky :)

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 9th, 2010 @ 10:00 PM Reply

At 9/9/10 09:58 PM, JoseFonz wrote:

Well, Lux, the reason why the legs look so small is that i have a really crappy camera and for some reason it resizes the legs im looking at the picture in my desktop and the legs look porportional to me i think it's because the angle i took the picture, cause right now i just noticed the legs are waay smaller than they are in the paper i drew them on.

And as for the waist it looks alright to me but again i blame the camera, and as for the head, it's mostly my fault it's really tricky :)

Oo, I should have thought of the camera angle. You're right, the page does look like it's at a slight angle. My bad. It's a bit tough to tell if the proportions are right like that, then. Sorry!
The waist isn't wrong, it just looks like it caused you to make some mistakes with the legs. There's nothing wrong with that angle.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 9th, 2010 @ 10:05 PM Reply

At 9/9/10 10:00 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 9/9/10 09:58 PM, JoseFonz wrote:
The waist isn't wrong, it just looks like it caused you to make some mistakes with the legs. There's nothing wrong with that angle.

Yeah i really need a scanner or at least a better camera. Well, I'll try to post more pics as soon as i can. Bye for now

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 10th, 2010 @ 09:04 PM Reply

A anatomical sketch i drew a few minutes ago...

What do you think?

Peglay
Peglay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 05:13 AM Reply

At 9/10/10 09:04 PM, JoseFonz wrote: A anatomical sketch i drew a few minutes ago...

The body looks good, but you should work on the abs and the stomach

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

BBS Signature
LauriJ
LauriJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Art Lover
Response to What do you think? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 05:35 AM Reply

At 9/10/10 09:04 PM, JoseFonz wrote: A anatomical sketch i drew a few minutes ago...

That is a really cool. Did you already draw the legs? If you haven't yet then you should draw them digitigrade or in other words, similar to what you would find on rodents with a spike that keeps the soles from reaching the ground and we have a Ni'var person anatomy in front of us. If you have any questions about what is a Ni'var, feel free to PM me. The least that I should tell you about them is that they are from a story project that has been in my mind for a while.

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 09:27 PM Reply

It's a sad day for me today. My brother got angry at me and totally destroyed my sketchbook in front of my eyes, It was litterally seeing my dreams get torn in shreds. I couldnt salvage any of my pieces, because he methodically tore each and everyone of those pieces of sketches. and then he made me pick them up in a seperate bag because he deemed them 'unworthy for even the trash". God I suppressed this because i couldnt make tears even if wanted to....

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 09:34 PM Reply

At 9/11/10 09:27 PM, JoseFonz wrote: It's a sad day for me today. My brother got angry at me and totally destroyed my sketchbook in front of my eyes, It was litterally seeing my dreams get torn in shreds. I couldnt salvage any of my pieces, because he methodically tore each and everyone of those pieces of sketches. and then he made me pick them up in a seperate bag because he deemed them 'unworthy for even the trash". God I suppressed this because i couldnt make tears even if wanted to....

Did you maim him? You should have maimed him.
I know if anybody in the world tried to destroy one of my sketchbooks (even the old ones), I would have little hesitation in beating the absolute shit out of them. Family especially, because family should be able to recognize what's important to you and know not to tread on it.
Your brother sounds like a real dick.

That really sucks, man. How many drawings did you lose?

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature
JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 09:42 PM Reply

Did you maim him? You should have maimed him.
I know if anybody in the world tried to destroy one of my sketchbooks (even the old ones), I would have little hesitation in beating the absolute shit out of them. Family especially, because family should be able to recognize what's important to you and know not to tread on it.
Your brother sounds like a real dick.

That really sucks, man. How many drawings did you lose?

I fucking lost all of it!!! Everysingle piece of recordable art i've worked since 2008 to today got ripped to shred and thrown into the fucking sitter. My bro is 16 years and Incredibly strong for his age and tall. I Punched the shit out of him but what do you expect im only 13? Fuck man it's like fucking losing time and life before your eyes man, and my best art was their too. I did put up a big fight i nearly got killed! Man i have to start from scratch now, I'll post more art as soon as i can too

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to What do you think? Sep. 11th, 2010 @ 11:13 PM Reply

At 9/11/10 09:42 PM, JoseFonz wrote: I fucking lost all of it!!! Everysingle piece of recordable art i've worked since 2008 to today got ripped to shred and thrown into the fucking sitter. My bro is 16 years and Incredibly strong for his age and tall. I Punched the shit out of him but what do you expect im only 13? Fuck man it's like fucking losing time and life before your eyes man, and my best art was their too. I did put up a big fight i nearly got killed! Man i have to start from scratch now, I'll post more art as soon as i can too

Christ, man, how did it come to that? I mean, my entire family is more or less supportive of my drawing (if disappointed a bit) and they'd know never to touch a single sketchbook of mine, let alone... wow, that's just cowardly and incredibly simple of him. Big man, tearing up a 13-year-old's work <.<

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 24th, 2010 @ 08:27 PM Reply

God i havent post anything in a long time so i guess i should revive his thread... Anyways i just wanted to update your guys, I'll post art As soon i can just bear with me shit just gets in my life you know. Expect art soon though guys

VampireontheSax
VampireontheSax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to What do you think? Sep. 24th, 2010 @ 08:33 PM Reply

I really like you art, but your porportions are REALLY off. The torso is too long, and the heads are way to big, excluding the cool one on the first page, that you apparently copied off youtube.

VampireontheSax

BBS Signature
JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Sep. 24th, 2010 @ 08:48 PM Reply

At 9/24/10 08:33 PM, VampireontheSax wrote: I really like you art, but your porportions are REALLY off. The torso is too long, and the heads are way to big, excluding the cool one on the first page, that you apparently copied off youtube.

VampireontheSax

I thought i explained that already the reason my porportions are off is because i resized and i didnt notice i enlarged the head, and the torso was caused because i accedintally took the picture from a curved angle. I wish the i had the originals but they got destroyed by my brother

jeeshwa123
jeeshwa123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to What do you think? Sep. 26th, 2010 @ 03:25 AM Reply

showing progress :D
the sword-chick is really good. SHOULD'VE SKETCHED OUT ZONE THOUGH!!1 lol xD

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Oct. 8th, 2010 @ 09:38 PM Reply

Lately I've been watching an amazing illustrator and animator name Sycra check him out in youtyube his amazing!

So he has basically taught me all i know and influenced me in my drawing greatly. I am trying to start a new sketchbook which I PROMISE i will try to show to you guys but in the meantime bear with me

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Oct. 22nd, 2010 @ 10:38 AM Reply

Pfft nothing special i whipped this up in like 6 minutes. Trying to press my self to sketch faster.

What do you think?

Hyptosis
Hyptosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to What do you think? Oct. 22nd, 2010 @ 11:49 AM Reply

I'm really happy to see so much positive feedback in this thread form other users. The makes me happy to be a part of newgrounds. I say paint/draw whatever keeps you inspired, heck, it's better to draw a bad picture, or a copied picture, or any picture than it is to draw no picture at all. I say draw draw draw, no matter what. You can't get worse.

I was big into comics as a kid, and what I tried to do was make sure I drew as much boring stuff, anatomy, still life, etc, as I did comic stuff. I'd draw a teapot and study the light, shadow, etc, and then reward myself by drawing some dude getting his head ripped off by a giant robot mantis.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion it isn't so much WHAT you draw, but how you draw it. When you draw or copy some anime, really look at the art that inspires you and try to 'understand' the lines. Why does this work? Why did the artist do this? Why did they use this color? ETC- Understanding is what convincing art is all about.

Great stuff, keep it up! Stay inspired!

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Oct. 23rd, 2010 @ 07:41 PM Reply

Some simple face expression drawing. Thought I should show it to you guys

What do you think?

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Oct. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:01 PM Reply

This one is my second attempt at Zone-Tan. whadya guys think? did i improve?

What do you think?

JulyFish
JulyFish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to What do you think? Oct. 23rd, 2010 @ 09:55 PM Reply

Her head is a ittle to big, just make it smaller and it'll be perfect!

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Oct. 25th, 2010 @ 08:12 PM Reply

Perhaps stretching out the shoulders could remedy the problem to make her proportional? Yes?

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Oct. 26th, 2010 @ 07:17 PM Reply

wow i have super little feedback. This thread neds to be revived....

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to What do you think? Oct. 26th, 2010 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 10/26/10 07:17 PM, JoseFonz wrote: wow i have super little feedback. This thread neds to be revived....

It's called post more art. You'll get your feedback if you post stuff that can be given feedback.

JoseFonz
JoseFonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What do you think? Nov. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:25 PM Reply

Just a Doodle

What do you think?

UglyBirthLock
UglyBirthLock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to What do you think? Nov. 3rd, 2010 @ 05:11 PM Reply

it looks like you taped a pencil to your nose and rubbewd your face all over the paper