Be a Supporter!
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
NG Descent Club Aug. 19th, 2010 @ 11:01 PM Reply

This club is created because I noticed a few people on NG play Descent, and many more have heard of it. It's a great game, a true masterpiece. And it's still possible to play multiplayer Descent!
So here goes!
What is Descent? Descent is a First-Person Shooter that came out in '95. It is a very unique game in the fact that it was one of the first true 3-D games. You fly a ship that can move on any axis. Slide vertically, slide horizontally, foreward, backward, banking.... It creates some very intense, very diverse fight sequences. Oh, and did I mention it takes place inside of mines on other planets? And every robot in the mine wants you dead. Or every other player.
To further explain this: A Descent multiplayer video!
There are three games in the Descent series (and a possible fourth)
Descent 1 is the classic that started it all. It came out in the good ole days, in 1995.
Descent II introduced all sorts of new weapons and the afterburner.
Descent 3 was made with a completely different game engine, and came out in 1999.

Anyone can join in on the discussion... I don't know if we're going to include a roster. You can join even if you no longer have Descent (Nostalgia stories are welcome).

Right now, there are two ways to play Descent on XP and later: D2x-XL and DXX-Rebirth. I suggest Rebirth if you want to play with us, besides, it keeps the game performing like it used to.
Rebirth Site

Rules:
1. Obviously, all of the standard BBS rules apply.
2. Try to stay on topic. Don't start talking about unrelated games.
3. No pointless, one-liner, +1 posts.
4. Don't argue Rebirth vs. D2X-XL without intelligent arguments. It would be best to not argue this at all, but there's a lot to debate.
5. Screenshots are welcome, even encouraged, but I cannot stress this enough: MAKE SURE IT IS DESCENT RELATED. This cannot turn into a spam-a-thon.
6. Custom levels can be discussed, but don't spam links.

That being said, have fun! I've played Descent for just over 15 years now, so if you have any questions go ahead and ask. On an unrelated note, I go by the name of Ashes in the Descent community.

A screenshot to jog your memory about Descent:

NG Descent Club

Dora Revolution | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
Kaizerwolf
Kaizerwolf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to NG Descent Club Aug. 19th, 2010 @ 11:42 PM Reply

I shall be happy to say that I will be second to partake in such discussions towards Descent! I've been playing this game for little over 5 years now, and I never seem to tire of it. The community is great, ranging across many different websites, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

I stick more to Descent 3, but I'll play the other two titles if bored moves in.

How about you join the NGPD? Just what is the Newgrounds Police Dept.? Click the link and find out for yourself!

BBS Signature
pointydagger
pointydagger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to NG Descent Club Aug. 20th, 2010 @ 12:18 AM Reply

No, no, no, clubs go here, silly!

I know, you were perplexed about which forum, but even video game related clubs go there.

Ive had sex with grandma, apple pie, and baseball. That means that i have had sex with america.
I N V U 4 U R A Q T < You really are. ;)

Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to NG Descent Club Aug. 20th, 2010 @ 12:11 PM Reply

At 8/20/10 12:18 AM, pointydagger wrote: No, no, no, clubs go here, silly!

I know, you were perplexed about which forum, but even video game related clubs go there.

I was going to put this in Clubs&Crews but I PM'd a mod, and was told to put it here. I don't know, if another mod tells me otherwise, I'll move it.

Dora Revolution | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to NG Descent Club Aug. 20th, 2010 @ 12:43 PM Reply

Actually, I've seen that most of the clubs made in the C&C forum that are dedicated to a particular game are redirected here. Such as this one.

Yeah, this thread's fine as it is. After all, what would be the point of the games forum, otherwise?
Plus another mod already affirmed it to Ronald.

BBS Signature
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to NG Descent Club Aug. 20th, 2010 @ 01:04 PM Reply

At 8/20/10 12:43 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
Actually, I've seen that most of the clubs made in the C&C forum that are dedicated to a particular game are redirected here. Such as this one.

Yeah, this thread's fine as it is. After all, what would be the point of the games forum, otherwise?
Plus another mod already affirmed it to Ronald.

Thanks for the clarification.
Now, down to buisiness.
I just found this video on YouTube which shows an early level descent single player mission.
The guy flies like a total noob but he gets the job done, and besides, he's playing the original.
There are a few difficulty levels in Descent which are on all three games:
Trainee (Easiest)
Rookie
Hotshot
Ace
Insane (Hardest)
Looks like he's either on rookie or trainee.

BBS Signature
NUMBERZero1032
NUMBERZero1032
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to NG Descent Club Aug. 24th, 2010 @ 04:44 PM Reply

Down to business? Here's down to business, Ash!

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?t opic=337.0

There is my instructions on how to play Descent 3 online. So if anyone is interested, head there. It should be fool proof if you know how to just get Descent running.

I am also known as Cypher501 on youtube. I have completed all of the levels of Descent 2: Counter-Strike(main campaign), Descent 2: Vertigo, Descent 2: Maximum, Descent 3: Retribution, and Descent 3: Mercenary. I am working on Descent 1, but YouNoob won't let me upload videos properly. It keeps failing so I have to use a 3rd party publisher that makes my video tiny.