New Topic Respond to this Topic
joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 13:24:23 Reply

Oh, wait - that amount of hate may actually be impossible to describe. Let me explain just in case anyone was tempted to ever buy the shiest-fest that is pro tools 8 (yes, even the most recent version):

So I consult for a studio helping them secure/setup their computers, networks, software, hardware, vocal booths, whatever/etc. Recently we've had a number of clients come in requesting specifically that they work on pro tools systems only so that we give them the project files after and they go away to their personal mastering engineers in a different studio somewhere else in the world. Fine, that sounds great we figured we'd run a single pro tools system decked out on a x64 PC w/Windows 7 and 8 gigs of RAM/quad-core the whole bit to satisfy that need. We get the funds to pick up both pro tools m-powered 8 (we are running a fast-track ultra on the main rig) and also antares autotune EVO. Get back to the studio (guitar center is like 3 blocks away), backup the general managers files on his rig, format the drive and reinstall his copy of windows 7 x64 on the computer.

Everything is going great, hook it up to the internet, all the drivers are working properly, disabled any un-necessary ports from the BIOS to prevent any potential conflicts, update until windows is fully patched, and throw all the needed runtimes on there (flash/java/.net framework/etc.). I throw the m-powered DVD in the system and that's when I begin to hate my life.

First thing that wouldn't happen is that pro tools decides to give me an error halfway through the install effectively telling me that it can't install the "creative" instrument suite (mini-grand, structure LE, etc.) and to go F myself. Cool, I'll do it manually as it appears everything else is fine - so I go ahead and reboot and then select only the instruments option to install this time around. So it does it's thing asks me to reboot and I'm thinking everything is happy.

ONLY I'M DEAD WRONG.

Instead of just telling "oh sh*t dude, something happened to your installation and we hit an error, blah blah" I am greeted to my user profile missing the desktop icon of pro tools and the start menu program folder is missing. Uh, what the hell just happened? I pull up the program files for pro tools in both the x64 and x86 folders and .... everything is gone. There is a skeletal folder structure left and absolutely no actual program files actual where the hell they are supposed to be. So I'm starting to get a little angry because pro tools did just delete the entire program after I told it to do the exact opposite and install the effing plugins it wouldn't install the first time.

Ok, ok. I can deal with this - I'll just uninstall every trace of pro tools, disable every un-necessary service and then re-install and pray it doesn't happen like this again. Well, it does. In fact, it not only happens again - it happens a third and then a fourth time before I finally say "f**k this, at least I can get the program running I guess I'll have to forget about the included instruments".

So the fifth time I get the same error, just ignore it and start pro tools. It of course, takes like a half hour to start (WOW - good job on the optimization digidesign eh?) and then finally I can at least look at the included fx because some of them seem pretty decent (bomb factory stuff, whatever). I pull open the mixer fx option to view plugins, and...

90% of them are mono. WTF

This is of course about 3 hours later after opening the box and starting to setup pro tools that I come to the realization that digidesign is the most sh*tty company on the face of the planet, and that I really REALLY hate them.

The last saving throw is that at least I can try an setup antares auto-tune and get that bitch out of the way. I go to ilok's site and setup an account for the GM, install the ilok drivers on my computer, put the physical ilok key in and cross my fingers that I don't run into even more problems. Yeah, right. The ilok runtimes can't detect the physical key in the computer so I try to close the browser, try again in google chrome instead of ie8 and try it again.

You know what happens then?? It tells me an ilok registration is already in progress and I have to wait 5 minutes. F**K YOU I HAD 5 MINUTES LIKE 3 HOURS AGO NOW IT'S EFFING MIDNIGHT AND I'M OUT OF TIME YOU ASSHATS.

But guess what?? You thought that was everything right? No, digidesign decided to throw on last FU in there for me. I installed reaper in the middle of this mess (which guess what? there actually is a native x64 installer for reaper unlike pro tools) and literally from the time I get to the reaper.fm webpage to the time I am actually in reaper with everything installed setup I couldn't have taken a pee break at the restroom faster.

The GM opens up reaper to start at least using the interface so SOMETHING works and he says "he, it tells me there is a problem with the ASIO drivers dude, what's going on with this". And I think "huh? reaper is having a problem? that sure as hell doesn't make any sense..." and go over there and have him open up the audio driver page to check what's going on. And here's where I get the really funny punchline from all this.

The default ASIO driver that reaper is now trying to open is not my fast track ultra that I had just installed with the OS. NO. It is a driver for Digidesign's own Eleven Rack, which I neither own nor ever will own but Pro Tools apparently went ahead and thought I needed it so it installed it for me, effectively supplanting the default ASIO driver that ACTUALLY EXISTED. HA HA HA, funny right? I tell you what, that was the last amount of hilarity I could stand - I threw my hands up and told the GM "f**k this, I'm going home dude, call your pro tools guru friend tomorrow and God help us if he doesn't know what to do".

I am never, EVER going to purchase a Digidesign, Pro Tools, or Avid product ever again at any point of my life of my own accord and if I see you walking down the street wearing a polo shirt with the digidesign logo on it - don't be suprised if I just punch in the face. REALLY HARD.

I hate you Digidesign. I hope your company dies.

statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 13:54:37 Reply

Holy shit.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 13:56:58 Reply

I told you Reaper was good.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 14:08:04 Reply

At least you didn't accidentally step on a baby skull.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 14:10:02 Reply

At 8/16/10 01:56 PM, Chris-V2 wrote: I told you Reaper was good.

I've used Reaper since v.1 Comparing Reaper to Pro Tools is like comparing a f**king ferrari to a fisher price big wheel.

I honestly just am appauled at how absolutely god-awful everything about Pro Tools is. I seriously got home yesterday and felt like I needed to take a f**king shower.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 14:11:11 Reply

At 8/16/10 02:08 PM, SBB wrote: At least you didn't accidentally step on a baby skull.

LOL uh yeah - I uh, suppose that would be worse.

Operating Pro Tools is a close second though.

TheBenjerman
TheBenjerman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 14:20:11 Reply

This is awesome!

from a bystander's point of view.

^_^

BBS Signature
SessileNomad
SessileNomad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 14:25:35 Reply

obviously the products fault

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 14:31:24 Reply

At 8/16/10 02:20 PM, TheBenjerman wrote: This is awesome!

from a bystander's point of view.

^_^

I was venting to my wife yesterday about how much I hate pro tools and she started laughing, I guess while I was on my rant she had typed "pro tools sucks" into google and like 300,000 hits came up.

Only makes sense.

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 15:04:43 Reply

so, you manually went ahead and fucked yourself? good job! ^___^

anyway, all files in PT are mono as i remembers it (frankly, all stereofiles are mono too, just panned. you probably knew this though). isn't there a way to link the mono-plugs? it's been a long time since i used PT, so meh..

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

dicennian
dicennian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 15:05:45 Reply

At 8/16/10 01:54 PM, statueofdiveo wrote: Holy shit.

You said it all.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 15:23:17 Reply

At 8/16/10 03:04 PM, Rucklo wrote: so, you manually went ahead and fucked yourself? good job! ^___^

anyway, all files in PT are mono as i remembers it (frankly, all stereofiles are mono too, just panned. you probably knew this though). isn't there a way to link the mono-plugs? it's been a long time since i used PT, so meh..

yeah man, believe me. If I could change the world and just wipe digidesign from off the face of the earth in a history rewrite, I wouldn't hesitate.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 15:25:54 Reply

At 8/16/10 02:10 PM, joshhunsaker wrote:
At 8/16/10 01:56 PM, Chris-V2 wrote: I told you Reaper was good.
I've used Reaper since v.1 Comparing Reaper to Pro Tools is like comparing a f**king ferrari to a fisher price big wheel.

I honestly just am appauled at how absolutely god-awful everything about Pro Tools is. I seriously got home yesterday and felt like I needed to take a f**king shower.

Tell me about it, it's all we have at Uni. The Midi editing is like being repeatedly kicked in the shitter.

Also, RTAS plug-ins aren't the most plentiful things in the world. But I dunno... I don't mind it because I didn't pay for it, I suppose.

krssvr
krssvr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 15:32:26 Reply

So it's a good thing I'm choosing Cubase over Pro Tools?

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me
Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature
Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 15:40:54 Reply

At 8/16/10 03:32 PM, krssvr wrote: So it's a good thing I'm choosing Cubase over Pro Tools?

After this thread, do you really have to ask?

BBS Signature
joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 15:50:37 Reply

At 8/16/10 03:32 PM, krssvr wrote: So it's a good thing I'm choosing Cubase over Pro Tools?

Let's just say that Pro Tools should come with a licensed anger management therapist.

NovaOfTheXqonz
NovaOfTheXqonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 16:54:46 Reply

At 8/16/10 03:50 PM, joshhunsaker wrote:
Let's just say that Pro Tools should come with a licensed anger management therapist.

lol that big wheel shit made me cry.

But yeah... it should...

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 17:07:45 Reply

They've got Cocky Company That Makes The Standard Industry Software syndrome.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-16 17:17:47 Reply

At 8/16/10 05:07 PM, Rig wrote: They've got Cocky Company That Makes The Standard Industry Software syndrome.

This.

Digidesign + Mac = Reality Distortion Field x100

Alchemist94
Alchemist94
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-17 10:45:48 Reply

Ms Paint doesn't have any problems like this..

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-17 10:59:12 Reply

At 8/16/10 05:07 PM, Rig wrote: They've got Cocky Company That Makes The Standard Industry Software syndrome.

If you're not using Mogami you just suck

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-17 20:45:54 Reply

At 8/17/10 10:59 AM, SineRider wrote:
If you're not using Mogami you just suck

Apparently, pro tools isn't officially supported on windows 7 - so yeah - 'cause that really sucks.

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-17 21:37:34 Reply

could be worse. You could be using Fruity Loops :D!!

goes to cut himself

But seriously, if I took the time to write a rant about all the problems that has hit me due to FL not showing any love to any of the hardware/software i'm using it would be three fold this.

Thank god i'm not a pro tools user though, guess i'll bite the bullet and go cubase.

NovaOfTheXqonz
NovaOfTheXqonz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-19 18:01:12 Reply

At 8/17/10 09:37 PM, MaestroRage wrote: could be worse. You could be using Fruity Loops :D!!

goes to cut himself
But seriously, if I took the time to write a rant about all the problems that has hit me due to FL not showing any love to any of the hardware/software i'm using it would be three fold this.

Thank god i'm not a pro tools user though, guess i'll bite the bullet and go cubase.

I hear so much fucking shit about Cubase all the time. I downloaded that 7 GB mess, and couldn't even get the fucking Sound on ... i spent two hours on that program... FL studio is just easier... even though all the proffessional Producers bash the fuck out of it.

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-19 20:44:07 Reply

I've been fighting to stay on FL as much as I can, I love the damn thing but it just has enough blocks in the way to eventually make you have to move on. Probably not so much if your work is pure synthetic but for sample based producers FL will eventually break you.

Well maybe in the near future this won't be true either. I hear they're getting a bridge between 32 bit and 64bit plugins which would be pure awesome.

Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-19 23:08:39 Reply

At 8/19/10 08:44 PM, MaestroRage wrote: I've been fighting to stay on FL as much as I can, I love the damn thing but it just has enough blocks in the way to eventually make you have to move on. Probably not so much if your work is pure synthetic but for sample based producers FL will eventually break you.

Well maybe in the near future this won't be true either. I hear they're getting a bridge between 32 bit and 64bit plugins which would be pure awesome.

There already is a bridge, it's called jbridge. I think jonhunsaker mentioned it in another thread. Also, lol at ms paint. And I still wanna try pro tools, but this review sounds like the worst annoying shit ever.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-20 00:21:35 Reply

At 8/19/10 11:08 PM, Mystery-Moon-Pie-Aud wrote:
At 8/19/10 08:44 PM, MaestroRage wrote: I've been fighting to stay on FL as much as I can, I love the damn thing but it just has enough blocks in the way to eventually make you have to move on. Probably not so much if your work is pure synthetic but for sample based producers FL will eventually break you.

There already is a bridge, it's called jbridge. I think jonhunsaker mentioned it in another thread. Also, lol at ms paint. And I still wanna try pro tools, but this review sounds like the worst annoying shit ever.

After spending about an entire day on the phone with digidesign we finally got the system up and running.

What a horrible way to spend 4 days though. I'll tell you what, some of the midi/automation handling in pro tools is neat (had some guru from guitar center who's also worked in a number of studios down to show the GM and I around pro tools) and Xpand (included virtual instrument) is fekking kick-ass incredible but I'm still not really convinced. Not for $250 and half a week completely thrown in the toilet kinda convinced, no way in hell.

I'll stick with reaper and FL personally.

I had some fun and in the amount of time I double-clicked on the pro tools icon to start it up (after everything was running properly) I was able to completely open reaper and start adding tracksbefore the damn pro tools start-up screen even appeared. WOW DIGIDESIGN MAYBE TIME TO STEP IT UP HUH? Bunch of losers.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to how much I hate pro tools 2010-08-20 05:18:09 Reply

Xpand! is a very good Virtual Instrument, no doubt about it. But in terms of your plug ins, Pro Tools is a very limiting interface. Automation is pretty good, but I found the midi editing kind of horrible.