00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

twmimic001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Need Animators For Huge Project

4,009 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-10 06:58:32

Hey, people of Newgrounds. This is your chance to be a part of something HUGE.

I have an ENORMOUS project that I've started, and upon starting it, I realized I am incapable of producing the entire thing myself. This is a project meant for a studio, and thusly I'm putting together a team.

The project is an animated series I wrote called Primetime Primate. You may or not be familiar with the pilot I did, but that is irrelevant. The quality of writing in this project is phenomenally better than anything I've constructed previously, and it calls for lots of work I can't do in a fair amount of time. The point of this series is to upload episodes to NG whilst I am attempting to pitch the show to networks and various other venues. I'm looking to make something happen here, and I'm going to need your help.

That's where you come in. I need at least 3 well rounded animators (well rounded = props, color keys, cars, animals, humans, backgrounds) to join the Smirk Studios force in order to ensure a quality product for me to pitch to the networks in Hollywood.

Until there becomes money involved, there will be no money involved. As soon as there is, there will be. Until then you will be credited for the work you do, and will be on the list of people to take with me if/when we make it. All that said, if you like animating, but don't aren't much of a writer, don't have means of recording audio, and/or are just looking for a good project to keep you busy and give you good practice whilst testing your abilities to the max, I urge you to express your enthusiasm with great haste. This could be what gets you where you need to be!

Your best method of contacting me is going to be by PM, but feel free to ask your questions here.

EXTRA DETAILS:

Primetime Primate - An animated action/comedy series about a gorilla named Primus Jamison who aspires to become king of the jungle. He believes the lions are self righteous and do not deserve the title, and plans to campaign his ambitions to the humans of the world. Each episode he will grow one step closer in his quest to befriend mankind, but not before the lions try to stop him, often resulting in fights. His methods for getting closer to his goal often involve competition amongst much confusion, leading him to drugs, sex, and violence.

The show is most comparable to the construction of the Venture Bros., including lots of 90's pop culture references, risque drama as well as jokes, action packed fight scenes, and cliff hanger ends to keep you interested to find out what happens next.

PS - The pilot does not compare to the actual writing the actual series involves. It was just a test to see what I could do with the characters, and thusly has no real construction. To be used only as a guideline.

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-16 15:56:22

hope you like it >.<

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-16 16:00:28

hERE Am I c0Ol yet?!?

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-16 17:02:28

I HAVE been practicing a lot of animation lately...and I'm really hoping to show-off some skill. If anything, I could help you write the script. I can't do any art or voices though. If you need examples, just ask please (I didn't see anything about that for animators or writers).

Help the poor! Help the hungry in Africa!

BBS Signature

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-16 17:23:53

YOU have got yourself a voice!You WON'T be disappointed!(also someone to do signs in the movies,if there is any)

.pazzaW

BBS Signature

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-16 18:11:53

At 8/16/10 05:02 PM, FourSwordsKing wrote: I HAVE been practicing a lot of animation lately...and I'm really hoping to show-off some skill. If anything, I could help you write the script. I can't do any art or voices though. If you need examples, just ask please (I didn't see anything about that for animators or writers).

Yes, I would like to have an example of your work, so if you have a reel or a particular cartoon that shows your abilities, please send me the link via PM! Thanks for replying!

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-16 21:12:47

I'll bite

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-17 00:46:40

The Ng forums are perhaps... not the best place to make a casting for animators.

I sincerely didnt like the pilot but still good luck

BBS Signature

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-17 00:51:45

also your gorilla design is almost incomprehensible... there are seriously times in wich I was wondering what the fuck was going on with his mouth

protips:

1- stay away from the pencil tool. I have been working with flash for 5 years now and been around here for around 4 and I have never EVER seen someone use it and make it look good.

2- learn about composition... the intro credits in your movie felt out of place.

3- ask for help

BBS Signature

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-17 04:30:05

At 8/17/10 12:51 AM, Emanhattan wrote: also your gorilla design is almost incomprehensible... there are seriously times in wich I was wondering what the fuck was going on with his mouth

protips:

1- stay away from the pencil tool. I have been working with flash for 5 years now and been around here for around 4 and I have never EVER seen someone use it and make it look good.

2- learn about composition... the intro credits in your movie felt out of place.

3- ask for help

1 - I don't give 2 shits about what you think about the pilot, since it says in my post that the pilot is just a test of the characters.

2 - None of your "tips" were any kind of helpful. Also, I didn't use the pencil tool once, so I don't know wtf you are talking about there.

3 - I am asking for help, and if NG's BBS isn't where to find it, then where do you suggest I find animators?

If it means anything to you, I saw your Vince the Voodoo Doll music video and wasn't too impressed either. The artwork was great, and the animation was just fine, but coming from a person who talks like you do about my stuff, it certainly wasn't perfect. Also, for 5 years of animating, your author comments in the Voodoo thing were very much full of excuses and talk about how you've been doing it since November 2008, which would mean you have been animating that cartoon for more than a third of your animation "career." I hate to rip on you so bad, but holy shit man. Say something helpful if you're going to talk like a know-it-all.

I honestly hope you can regroup and say something useful next time I hear from you. I like to get critiques, and I really don't mind if you hated my pilot, just tell me something with some heart behind it, as if you actually cared about me getting better as an artist. I'm all ears if you have suggestions, just don't be an ass.

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-17 09:10:45

Emanhattan was actually being helpful by pointing out what you need to learn and work on. He didn't sugar coat it and you got extremely mad. I don't see how anyone would want to work with you in a professional environment after that tantrum. You're obviously extremely immature and defensive.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-17 12:31:41

At 8/17/10 12:51 AM, Emanhattan wrote:

:(insert neat shit in here)

Just as a rule, this guy generally knows what he's talking about.

My username sucks.

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-17 16:17:01

At 8/17/10 09:10 AM, idiot-monarch wrote: Emanhattan was actually being helpful by pointing out what you need to learn and work on. He didn't sugar coat it and you got extremely mad. I don't see how anyone would want to work with you in a professional environment after that tantrum. You're obviously extremely immature and defensive.

^
pretty much this

also seeing the writing and the quality (soundwise, and art-wise), i dont see how you could be confident enough to state in your first post that this series is going to be "huge" and how youre blindly promising sponsorship and cash $$$.

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-17 17:44:02

At 8/17/10 04:17 PM, Fawx wrote:
At 8/17/10 09:10 AM, idiot-monarch wrote: Emanhattan was actually being helpful by pointing out what you need to learn and work on. He didn't sugar coat it and you got extremely mad. I don't see how anyone would want to work with you in a professional environment after that tantrum. You're obviously extremely immature and defensive.
^
pretty much this

also seeing the writing and the quality (soundwise, and art-wise), i dont see how you could be confident enough to state in your first post that this series is going to be "huge" and how youre blindly promising sponsorship and cash $$$.

He DIDN'T say anything helpful. All he did was rip on me and tell me to ask for help, which I'm doing. I understand that my quality needs help, and so the PILOT has nothing to do with the big project except it has the same characters.

The writing for the new show is great, I have a guy doing the sound and effects, and I've written and recorded some fantastic music to go with it.

I am not blindly promising money, either. It says "until there is money involved, there is no money involved." That means I'm not paying anyone until I get paid, which could be never. All you guys are doing is misinterpreting what I say and then making fun of me. You're not even understanding me.

This should be a fun project for animators, since I don't do the greatest job by myself. I'm asking for a certain kind of help, and you guys are busy reviewing my movie and reviewing my post instead of answering my query.

I didn't get mad, overreact, or become immature in anything I've posted. Eman said a bunch of stuff that makes it look like he knows everything, so I called him on it. If you read my posts more carefully, all of your posts will become redundant. I will listen to any advice that is helpful, but I'm not listening to "NG forums aren't where you get help" and "ask for help" when that doesn't tell me anything about how to get the help.

I didn't mean anything about the whole Emanhattan thing, I just want to clarify that I need something more real than that that doesn't just state "Didn't like your pilot" and "learn more about composition." Something more specific like, "Here's a site I go to when I need help" or "Hey friend, I know some people who could help you."

I'm sure you guys wont understand this message, but anyone who does, please help. I posted this because I NEED HELP. I have connections that are useless until I have something worthwhile to give them. If I don't get someone to help, then it's going to take me a freakin year to do this myself, and then you'll all bitch at me because "the quality sucks, omg you suck, insult insult you'll never be worth anything insult." C'mon guys, help me out instead of being douches.

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-17 17:53:59

Ok, people. Here's something new:

I will be glad to here your advice or your commentary on what you think I should do, but this message board is for the purpose of finding animators. Anyone with specific ideas on how to find animators, please help me out.

Also, sorry to Emanhattan, I know you were just trying to help. If you really want to help, please send me a PM.

Please stop reviewing my pilot cartoon in this thread. It is not relevant to what I'm asking for. If you want to review my pilot cartoon, go leave a review on my pilot cartoon. Also, trolls and spammers, I do somewhat appreciate what you do and your purpose for doing it. Just lighten up a bit!

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-17 21:46:23

^this.

If you thought his post was abusive or somehow tantamount to trolling, it would be best to just let it slide and continue your search maturely. This is NG, after all, where people won't think twice about shitting on you and jerks in the forum should pretty much be an expectation for any serious OP. Regardless of whether or not you felt he was just ripping on you for no reason or just being an outright ass, the defensive, aggro way in which you responded to his post (including dissing his work as though the quality of what he's done somehow excuses you) will seem to everyone to be a good foreshadowing of what working with you might entail. I followed the link here from Tom's new post out of interest and curiosity, and I can say surely that based on solely on your hair-trigge RAEG, I'm left with no interest in checking out the pilot or persuing this further.
If you are trying to assemble a professional-level project of any kind, it would serve you well to at least behave like a professional in the face of would-be naysayers. It may only be the internet but this is exactly the kind of thing that can stick with you.

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-18 02:35:25

At 8/17/10 09:46 PM, redminus wrote:
^this.

If you thought his post was abusive or somehow tantamount to trolling, it would be best to just let it slide and continue your search maturely. This is NG, after all, where people won't think twice about shitting on you and jerks in the forum should pretty much be an expectation for any serious OP. Regardless of whether or not you felt he was just ripping on you for no reason or just being an outright ass, the defensive, aggro way in which you responded to his post (including dissing his work as though the quality of what he's done somehow excuses you) will seem to everyone to be a good foreshadowing of what working with you might entail. I followed the link here from Tom's new post out of interest and curiosity, and I can say surely that based on solely on your hair-trigge RAEG, I'm left with no interest in checking out the pilot or persuing this further.
If you are trying to assemble a professional-level project of any kind, it would serve you well to at least behave like a professional in the face of would-be naysayers. It may only be the internet but this is exactly the kind of thing that can stick with you.

I suppose there is much truth to what you say. I should have seen it coming, and was somehow shocked it happened at all. I may have to re-think my strategy then. Thanks for the advice!

Note to all further posters on this thread: Sorry you had to read any of this LOL. I know now what I'm dealing with, so please forgive my ignorance.

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-18 10:54:48

Wait, i see some mod is removing allot of post from this topic! What happened to the others?

fu

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-18 11:46:48

sounds like a scam to me.. not sure though.

I'd be interested.

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-18 11:50:02

what

BBS Signature

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-18 14:14:01

I'll bite again

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-19 06:58:54

At 8/18/10 11:15 PM, JoseFonz wrote: Wow that sounds very very HUGE i wish i could take part. I have natural drawing abilities but i am far from a true pro... But i do want to take part in this awesome collab and im in for a challenge too. And i dont really have much knowledge about animating either so idk... well just keep in mind i want to push my drawing skills to limit and im also very funny if you want a scriptwriter or anything. So if you find it in the bottom in your heart to include me, even in the lowliest position in this collab I'LL TAKE IT!

Hey, if you would like to do backgrounds, I'd love to have you! This particular project calls for a lot of African landscapes and eventually lots of city backgrounds. Let me know if you're interested! I hope you have Flash!

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-19 07:00:43

At 8/18/10 11:46 AM, TimFrommeyer wrote: sounds like a scam to me.. not sure though.

I'd be interested.

Definitely not a scam. This is going to be the big one if I can gather the right people. All it takes is a motivated team and good networking skills! I have the networking skills, just need the team!

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-20 10:01:31

Ha, the above posts are pretty fun! i can help if you want, im good with backgrounds, give me about an hour and ill study some African landscapes and post some pics, i really cant draw monkeys though... i may not contribute 110% on this as im working on my own flash movie, and a few commission works right now...actually, i havnt submitted anythin' to NG yet (just sad, i know) but if you can set up a good communication network (i don't use AIM, bu MSN is good!) ill join. My animations are a little more refined....okay not so much, but they're quite different from what was in your plot, im not reviewing your pilot here, im just saying if i animate anything, your guys (other animators) better pull up there socks... thats about it... lets see how this plays out, ill be back in about an hour! (oh, and i use Flash CS5, so ya know...flash version might be a problem...CS5 can save in CS4 though, so if you have CS4 or CS5 then were good to go!)

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-20 10:31:36

If the show will content much violence and drugs, i don't think that TV would want it

fu

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-20 10:43:23

Also i recommend splitting the team up like

Positions available:

Background animators:
someuser212,
available

Special effects animators:
available

Character animators
availale

fu

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-20 11:29:17

so after taking a 30 minute shit and doing some researching, i came up for a title shot, here:

http://imgur.com/MQJMH

that was just a quikie, gimme a bit and ill put up some more of my stuff.

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-20 12:05:46

heres another:

http://imgur.com/Yy3st

just so you know, the first picture had 9 layers, this one has 11. heres a classification so you can add that to you drawing board:
Layers:

1.Sky (the sky, duh)
2.Horizon (drawing reference, AKA eyeline, the line the eye follows)
3. Sun
4.Background
5.Title-1
6.Midground
7.Title-2
8.foreground
9.shrubbery/grasses
10.shadows/illumination
9.lighting, special effects

those are my layers, just so you know. if you go ahead with this, it'll end up having 50+ layers. i know that alot of popular TV shows have more than 100+ layers of animation. (within the respective program there animated in)

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-20 18:08:56

OK im in whats not taken

LawldonkerLAWL

BBS Signature

Response to Need Animators For Huge Project 2010-08-20 19:47:29

At 8/20/10 10:43 AM, StalkerGuy wrote: Also i recommend splitting the team up like

Positions available:

Background animators:
someuser212,
available

Special effects animators:
available

Character animators
availale

Good idea, and I thank you for your input. This is my first time putting together a team, so it's not easy! Finally I'm getting results!

By the way, the drugs and violence will do just fine on TV. Just look at Family Guy and The Venture Bros.! In my show, I will be a lot more careful how I do it, but it's always best to test the censor limits. As far as violence, it's really just an actiony fight scene here and there.

Thanks again!