Be a Supporter!

WOW why pay for this crap

  • 3,150 Views
  • 89 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Drake
Drake
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 06:11:52 Reply

I fuckin' play the game. I enjoy it. I meet people. I hang out with my guild. I do events with my guild. I enjoy it all. If you don't like it, then fuck yourself. Here's a few things I'd like to point out.

Graphics: The graphics aren't the best because it would restrict the game to only high-end computers. Blizzard knows that which such an expansive world, some sacrifices have to be made and quality had to be one of the big ones. With the current state of the game, yes, it could be a lot better, but might I remind you that the game only has to load when you're entering an instance, another continent, taking a portal, or whatever the fuck.

Content: Content is updated regularly enough to keep people playing, and I enjoy it since it adds to it. The more content there is, the more reason there is to continue playing Ice Crown Citadel, Ruby Sanctum, all that which has been added since the beginning. Without the monthly fee, this content would have been possible and other projects that many players happen to support (e.g. Diablo III) would be at a grinding halt.

Why we play it: We have time to kill or nothing else to do.

In short: you're all fucking morons.


ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
Davoo
Davoo
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 06:13:13 Reply

Some dude said this...

"I'm sick of people getting bashed simply because they realize how much of a retarded idea WoW is. True, the OP's statements could have been phrased differently, but that does not mean his argument is invalid."

I totally agree with you here. It's okay to correct people on their bad english once and a while, but you can't really act like they've immediately failed at all levels of intelligence.

Then he started talking about the price...

"Because you CAN do [pay for] something does NOT mean you should. The same way that paying monthly for having a piece of dogshit delivered to your doorstep every month is unadvisable, you understand that paying over $900 to play the same shitty game for 5 years is a bad idea... I'm not paying $15 a month to play Halo 1 still."

I can't agree that this is necessarily true. Value is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't even play WoW if it was free to play. So I'm not here to talk about the game, just about the concepts and ideas of "paying for a game every month." If SSBB, perhaps, were to have a huge open-world online multiplayer mode, giving out new characters and stages and items online all the time (and they somehow continued to be good), I would probably be paying money for it right now, two years later.

The thing I DO know about MMO games like WoW is that online multiplayer is front-and-center the biggest part of the experience (I mean, obviously). And it's not like it doesn't cost the company a lot of money to keep it up and running. So you really are getting something for the continued payments. I know all online games need to be maintained, but MMO's more than anything.

"While some players take advantage of others and sell their accounts... your game cannot be resold PERIOD, while your stack of Xbox games has a resalve value. You are never getting any of that $900 back. And sadly, WoW has graphics straight from the nintendo 64, (a fix for this was never worked into an update). [My N64 games dont require me to play monthly either]"

Um... heheh. Well first of all: I'm strongly against game-selling personally, so that first statement doesn't apply to me. But the graphics? Come on, you think better graphics can be sent through an update online? Should they just send over some graphics juice to everybody's computer?

"Oh and finally...
'X number of millions of players can't be wrong'
How many people do you think have subscriptions to porn websites? Do you think that is a good idea, too? Why don't you invest that $15/month in a fucking gym membership and snap out of the denial."

Yeah, a big number doesn't mean much. Half the voters voted for one president or another, so half of them voted for the wrong guy. So millions of people were wrong.

"Also...
'10 bucks says OP is a virgin'
Lol you can bet all you want about the OP... but $100 says 75% of all WoW players are virgins."

Goddamnit I thought Twilight was popular, isn't virginity supposed to be cool now??

Drake
Drake
  • Member since: Oct. 7, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 06:13:59 Reply

would not have been possible

Shush, I'm tired.


ceb @ twitter | Jerkcity, est. 1998 | Tateos is a cool guy.

BBS Signature
Chazz
Chazz
  • Member since: Jul. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 06:14:59 Reply

There is an alternative..

Pick up the game for 10 pounds (17 dollars)

Then proceed to play on a free server.

If you don't like the game, not a huge loss of money.

If you DO like the game, feel free to grab the expansion packs.

I myself am not a fan but that's what I did when I started.
Raab
Raab
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 06:22:13 Reply

At 7/24/10 06:13 AM, Davoo wrote: Some dude said this...

"I'm sick of people getting bashed simply because they realize how much of a retarded idea WoW is. True, the OP's statements could have been phrased differently, but that does not mean his argument is invalid."

I totally agree with you here. It's okay to correct people on their bad english once and a while, but you can't really act like they've immediately failed at all levels of intelligence.

Then he started talking about the price...

"Because you CAN do [pay for] something does NOT mean you should. The same way that paying monthly for having a piece of dogshit delivered to your doorstep every month is unadvisable, you understand that paying over $900 to play the same shitty game for 5 years is a bad idea... I'm not paying $15 a month to play Halo 1 still."

I can't agree that this is necessarily true. Value is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't even play WoW if it was free to play. So I'm not here to talk about the game, just about the concepts and ideas of "paying for a game every month." If SSBB, perhaps, were to have a huge open-world online multiplayer mode, giving out new characters and stages and items online all the time (and they somehow continued to be good), I would probably be paying money for it right now, two years later.

The thing I DO know about MMO games like WoW is that online multiplayer is front-and-center the biggest part of the experience (I mean, obviously). And it's not like it doesn't cost the company a lot of money to keep it up and running. So you really are getting something for the continued payments. I know all online games need to be maintained, but MMO's more than anything.

"While some players take advantage of others and sell their accounts... your game cannot be resold PERIOD, while your stack of Xbox games has a resalve value. You are never getting any of that $900 back. And sadly, WoW has graphics straight from the nintendo 64, (a fix for this was never worked into an update). [My N64 games dont require me to play monthly either]"

Um... heheh. Well first of all: I'm strongly against game-selling personally, so that first statement doesn't apply to me. But the graphics? Come on, you think better graphics can be sent through an update online? Should they just send over some graphics juice to everybody's computer?

"Oh and finally...
'X number of millions of players can't be wrong'
How many people do you think have subscriptions to porn websites? Do you think that is a good idea, too? Why don't you invest that $15/month in a fucking gym membership and snap out of the denial."

Yeah, a big number doesn't mean much. Half the voters voted for one president or another, so half of them voted for the wrong guy. So millions of people were wrong.

"Also...
'10 bucks says OP is a virgin'
Lol you can bet all you want about the OP... but $100 says 75% of all WoW players are virgins."

Goddamnit I thought Twilight was popular, isn't virginity supposed to be cool now??

Thanks for not arguing like a 12-year old.

I'm not saying anything about WoW other than that its time to move on, since the game itself is really old and outdated. Its really silly to continue paying to play this fossil.

In the category of Fee MMo's
Games like Aion basically spit in WoW's face.

As far as free to play games are concerned.... there are lots of mmo/corpg games that don't even have a monthly fee and still have updates, better graphics, gameplay etc.

To everyone:
You can do whatever you want. But if you werent addicted to the game, you wouldn't be defending it.


BBS Signature
xKiRiLLx
xKiRiLLx
  • Member since: Feb. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Game Developer
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 06:27:49 Reply

WoW is fucking terrible.

RubberTrucky
RubberTrucky
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 06:31:05 Reply

At 7/24/10 06:22 AM, XxRobJohnsonxX wrote:
I'm not saying anything about WoW other than that its time to move on, since the game itself is really old and outdated. Its really silly to continue paying to play this fossil.

Actually you did, you referred to it as a grindfest, spat on the graphics and called WoW players virgins.
That's like "this game is utter crap and those who dare to enjoy it are useless losers"

As far as free to play games are concerned.... there are lots of mmo/corpg games that don't even have a monthly fee and still have updates, better graphics, gameplay etc.

I am intrigued. No really, if you can link me I want to give those a try.

To everyone:
You can do whatever you want. But if you werent addicted to the game, you wouldn't be defending it.

Hmm addiction, I feel is another often used argument against WoW. I do have an account, obviously, but I haven't played it for more than 10 hours this and last month.
The BBS on NG is currently a bigger addiction to me.

Look I won't say WoW is the best game ever, there are probably nicer games on the market. But saying that people who play wow are retarded because the game utterly sucks is over the top. It is still a very good game and definitely worth spending some money on.


RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!
Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.
Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

BBS Signature
eyeothestorm
eyeothestorm
  • Member since: Apr. 25, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 06:31:33 Reply

MMO games in general are far from the best kind of vidja games. However, the people will pay up, and Activision will continue to make mad money. And don't even think about blaming them. If you could abuse the general population's stupidity to make stupid amounts of money, would you? I know I would. As for OP, leave them be. It's their money and it isn't hurting you any.(Yet...)


Hero to the world.

BBS Signature
Raab
Raab
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 06:42:07 Reply

At 7/24/10 06:31 AM, RubberTrucky wrote: I am intrigued. No really, if you can link me I want to give those a try.

To get you started...
a few free to play games:
DDO
Guild Wars
Sword of the New World (Granado Espada)
And although kinda cartoony, Mabinogi is also worth trying.

Also, if you are into the pay as you play (some people say they wouldn't play the game if it wasn't pay to play for some reason)
I've tried and would reccommend
Aion and
Final Fantasy Online

Look I won't say WoW is the best game ever, there are probably nicer games on the market. But saying that people who play wow are retarded because the game utterly sucks is over the top. It is still a very good game and definitely worth spending some money on.

You are out of your mind.


BBS Signature
gostgamer
gostgamer
  • Member since: Mar. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 06:57:13 Reply

WoW is a lot more fun if you actually play with friends and/or gulidies.

To WoW haters: If you don't like it then don't fucking play it. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and saying " GET TO FUKING LVL 80 N0 BI0TCH".

To OP: learn to type.

Also I think I'll leave this here * quietly goes back to the cave*


" I'm not bullying any one, I'm just giving out really harsh constructive criticism"

BBS Signature
chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Member since: Sep. 1, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Gamer
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 07:16:50 Reply

I've never been willing to pay monthly to play WoW. I played it every once in a while at friends houses but that's it. I'm just going to wait for Diablo 3 to come out.


.

BBS Signature
iateamexican
iateamexican
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 07:31:23 Reply

At 7/24/10 03:26 AM, XxRobJohnsonxX wrote: Because you CAN do something does NOT mean you should.

So if you want to play WoW, and can afford to, you shouldn't?
That makes sense.


BBS Signature
Wolfos
Wolfos
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 07:33:32 Reply

That's why I played Guild Wars so much.

Haoie
Haoie
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 07:36:21 Reply

Yeah, it's an odd concept to me too.

Well, it's entertainment, I guess.


If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Member since: Apr. 5, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 07:37:12 Reply

Man newgrounds is a confusing site.

one day there WoW hating Nazis the next there defending wow?


my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
DonDuDonDon
DonDuDonDon
  • Member since: Jul. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 08:31:18 Reply

If you don't wanna pay there are like 300-400 free private servers, but only about a dozen have awesome userbase and have almost everything working. Take your pick (personal recommendation is WoWrotica/WoWGasm).


BBS Signature
Greenfrost6
Greenfrost6
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Gamer
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 08:48:30 Reply

The majority of people who bash WoW have never played the game before in their life.

I admit. Before I played it, I hated WoW. Look at my previous posts, I said WoW is a waste of money, WoW will make you addicted and so forth.

But then my friend sent me a 10 day trial, and I just got hooked. It's a great game, with great players, and an even greater community. Sure, there is some better buy-once-never-pay-ever-again games out there, but WoW is just simply fucking huge, and it will definetly keep me entertained for months.

At 7/24/10 06:22 AM, XxRobJohnsonxX wrote: In the category of Fee MMo's
Games like Aion basically spit in WoW's face.

I have a problem with your argument. Call me a fanboy, but you obviously have never played WoW before. Sure, pull the 'olol WoW player defending his game doesn't like outside opinions' card on me, but you have to realise people have their own opinion on things, and that yours isn't the center of the universe. One of your main points is also that the graphics on WoW is of an older generation, that may be true, but I've never cared for graphics in games, ever. I like this MMO because the developers (probably) put more time into the quests, items, and overall gameplay. It's all about gameplay, not the graphics. Besides, most of the time you're viewing your character from at least 10 feet away, up-close facial details isn't really something that I recognize.


We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature
OddCore
OddCore
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 08:54:47 Reply

Puncutation is shit scared of you.


I end threads.

Raab
Raab
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 09:51:54 Reply

At 7/24/10 08:48 AM, Greenfrost6 wrote: The majority of people who bash WoW have never played the game before in their life.

I admit. Before I played it, I hated WoW. Look at my previous posts, I said WoW is a waste of money, WoW will make you addicted and so forth.

But then my friend sent me a 10 day trial, and I just got hooked. It's a great game, with great players, and an even greater community. Sure, there is some better buy-once-never-pay-ever-again games out there, but WoW is just simply fucking huge, and it will definetly keep me entertained for months.

At 7/24/10 06:22 AM, XxRobJohnsonxX wrote: In the category of Fee MMo's
Games like Aion basically spit in WoW's face.
I have a problem with your argument. Call me a fanboy, but you obviously have never played WoW before. Sure, pull the 'olol WoW player defending his game doesn't like outside opinions' card on me, but you have to realise people have their own opinion on things, and that yours isn't the center of the universe. One of your main points is also that the graphics on WoW is of an older generation, that may be true, but I've never cared for graphics in games, ever. I like this MMO because the developers (probably) put more time into the quests, items, and overall gameplay. It's all about gameplay, not the graphics. Besides, most of the time you're viewing your character from at least 10 feet away, up-close facial details isn't really something that I recognize.

I have played WoW. Here is where my opinion differs from yours...
(keep in mind, everyone else, that this is not directed to you, or the previous talk about paying monthly, so please save me the tears)
When you play competitive online games, SKILL should be the number one factor, not hours spent playing/xp earned.
Any game where you gain an unfair advantage against a brand new player is in my opinion imbalanced.
In a FPS, you have a gun, I have a gun, we fight based on our skill.
In WoW you have a lvl 80 and I have a level 10, we can't even battle fairly.
Graphics would definitely be a plus.... why rob yourself of the luxury?
I mean I can understand why you could look passed the poor visual quality, because you find other good qualities about the game.... but wouldn't it be nice??

At 7/24/10 07:31 AM, iateamexican wrote:
At 7/24/10 03:26 AM, XxRobJohnsonxX wrote: Because you CAN do something does NOT mean you should.
So if you want to play WoW, and can afford to, you shouldn't?
That makes sense.

You are an idiot.

Instead of breaking it down for you, I'd just like to point out that you are retarded.
If you fail to comprehend the knowledge behind the statement, perhaps you should re-attend primary/pre-school as it is a lesson learned around that age.


BBS Signature
homor
homor
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Gamer
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 10:38:17 Reply

We have a video game forum for a reason, bro.


"Guns don't kill people, the government does."
- Dale Gribble
Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature
31244
31244
  • Member since: Nov. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 11:15:02 Reply

At 7/23/10 10:40 PM, Killinkyle wrote: Im sorry, but your just so stupid... God damn, I lost like three-thousand brain cells reading that... Are you like, seven or something?

nope im jus to lazy to spell check or use punctuation


Pitiful mortals...your hope ends here...and your meaningless existence with it!

REDSPADES
REDSPADES
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 11:19:10 Reply

Subscription games require updating, bug fixing, server maintenance and rental and administration positions to keep you having a good time with an experience that is fulfilling and new each time you play, so you will continue to play. Games cannot expand or be updated or have new worlds and such added without employing someone to do that work.

You pay for the experience of the gameplay, if you don't like it, suck my texas.


.....There was a hole. *sig by LimitedMortality*

BBS Signature
31244
31244
  • Member since: Nov. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 11:23:20 Reply

At 7/23/10 10:44 PM, GenericName54 wrote: Because people find it fun. I personally do not think it's worth $15 a month, but some people do. And now, we discuss pigs on torches.

hmm the only pay to play game ill be on is finalfantasy 14 on ps3 id rather get it on that than the pc fnla fantasy 11 was good buuut yea i was done after 2 months


Pitiful mortals...your hope ends here...and your meaningless existence with it!

REDSPADES
REDSPADES
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 11:24:50 Reply

Also, this.

WOW why pay for this crap


.....There was a hole. *sig by LimitedMortality*

BBS Signature
31244
31244
  • Member since: Nov. 24, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 11:34:57 Reply

At 7/24/10 06:57 AM, gostgamer wrote: WoW is a lot more fun if you actually play with friends and/or gulidies.

To WoW haters: If you don't like it then don't fucking play it. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and saying " GET TO FUKING LVL 80 N0 BI0TCH".

To OP: learn to type.

Also I think I'll leave this here * quietly goes back to the cave*

im not saying i wont play it well i kinda am if all i had ro pay was like the twenty 30 bucks for the game then yea id totally play it but buying the game then paying more money afterwards jus is kinda irritating


Pitiful mortals...your hope ends here...and your meaningless existence with it!

TiredPaperBoy
TiredPaperBoy
  • Member since: Sep. 5, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 11:38:10 Reply

Excuse me sir I believe the large pile of punctuation kicked to the side of the room belongs to you, do remember it next time.


*No longer PaperBoy, due to a technicality involving a 'missing' energy drink, I am now TiredBoy...
General Forum
The Funniest BBS Typo

BBS Signature
Alphabetetical
Alphabetetical
  • Member since: Jun. 23, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 12:20:37 Reply

The picture, though related, wasn't really necessary. Is it ridiculous to pay that much? Yes. Most game subscription fees are. You've already payed for everything, so why a monthly fee? Because.

People don't care about how much money they're raking in at the moment. They only care about how much money they COULD rake in in the future. Game devs will always find ways to make people pay more than what they should.

Look at CoD: Black Ops. It MIGHT have a subscription fee. But people who have played the CoD games since the beginning will still want to (or have their parents) pay for it because they're so hooked on it. It's like taking drugs for some people. I wouldn't pay a subscription fee for ANY game. I rarely buy any add-on content mainly because that should already come with the game.

TL;DR It's all about money.

Lolthread
Thanks a bunch to CagedSilhouette for the shiny new sig.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 12:32:30 Reply

Hey guys, see, theres this game called World of Warcraft and since I don't like it, everyone who plays it is a faggot and my opinion is the only one that matters.


"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
ZagmenO
ZagmenO
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 12:39:29 Reply

I don't understand it either, man. It's not like there's any plot to it, either. It's not like Zelda or Mario or Sonic where there's a goal at the end and you finish the game by defeating the final boss, it's like you play endlessly non-stop killing all sorts of things and battling other people countless times. Doesn't it get monotonous after a while?


I laugh at your sigs!

SayYourGoodbyes
SayYourGoodbyes
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to WOW why pay for this crap 2010-07-24 12:52:46 Reply

My brother's a WoW addict. He spends 8+ hours a day on that god damn game.

I used to play it, but I don't play much anymore.


well, like, you couldn't, like, find it because, like, you're dumb, god

BBS Signature