Not quite. But here's a nice little idea for you all to giggle over.
TL;DR: look at the big picture linked in the end of this post.
As you all know, your iDevice (iPhone or iPod Touch) has the ability to use the built in browser, Safari to browse Newgrounds - on WiFi it has great speed, 3G is still good, but not quite up to scratch, EDGE and GPRS are just murder for such an image heavy site like Newgrounds. Besides, using a 3inch screen or so for a desktop website such as Newgrounds isn't really practical for browsing, or easy on the eye. The point of this application would be both convenience for browsing key points of the website, as well as being visually and speed pleasing.
The topic of a NG iDevice app has been brought up many, many times on the BBS. As far as I know, the main reasons for no application yet are as followed:
- No iDevice flash support
- Very little demand!
Now, before you all rush off and critize lack of flash - yes, it is a flaw and you may be thinking a Newgrounds application is useless without Flash, obviously the main draw to the site. But, being on the BBS, you know there is much, much more to Newgrounds than the flash!
Which I guess is one of the main points of this topic. To get your imagination into gear, like I have been doing. There is much more that a Newgrounds application will be able to do.
A bunch of features I conjured up are as followed:
- Full BBS support
- Full Personal Messaging support
- Push Notifications on received PMs
- Push Notifications on Flash Submission
- Full profile support, such as:
---Browsing Stats, News and Posts
---Commenting on News
---Writing and publishing Blog Posts
- Site and BBS search
- Specifically made NG iDevice wallpapers
- Ability to play and download iPod movies (http://www.newgrounds.com/downloads/ipo d/)
- In-App integretion with NG Chat... once released (lol)
- In-App integretation with NG Logs
- Ability to edit sections of profile
- View flash / audio statistics
- BBS online/offiline lists
- Push notifications on selected watched topics
- Being able to deposit within the app.
Yes that last one is a long shot, and I know you can't use flash on the iDevice as of writing this, but damnit it'd be convenient for when you're "on the go".
But anyway! Enough of text! Please do check out the full image below and leave a response on what you think. I spent a considerable amount of time putting this together for no reason what-so-ever. It'd be awesome to see what else us as a community can pin together for a mobile application of our beloved Newgrounds.
Check out the preview! - Imageshack, 545 KB, 1094 x 2465 px