00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Ngadm '10 Auditions!

21,293 Views | 232 Replies

The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 05:45:16

Hello again! This marks the beginning of the new Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch competition (NGADM), hosted by me and Darklight17. We've had one before, but let's face it, one just isn't enough, so after the NGADM '09, we decided to create an NGADM'10. Read the entirety of this post, even if you're familiar with the rules of the old NGADM, to avoid embarrassing yourself ;).

What the heck are you talking about?
This competition will be organised similar to a knockout competition layout (example). It starts with a large number of people, and your job is to survive against whoever you're paired up with till the end where you battle it off against the other finalist. Simple.

OK, how do we take part?
To keep the quality of NGADM submissions as high as possible, we have this Auditions thread where you'll have to post your best song. You don't need to make a totally new song. We will then choose 32 participants from all of the people who posted in the Auditions thread, and they'll take part in the competition. So basically, just post your best song here to sign up.

Deadline?
No predetermined date yet, but it's going to be mid-September.

After the auditions, what exactly will happen?
We'd have chosen 32 participants to take part in the competition, and for Round 1 they will be paired randomly against each other until we have 16 winners. Then, in Round 2, the 16 winners are paired against each other until we have 8 winners. In Round 3, the 8 winners will be paired against each other and 4 winners will emerge. In Round 4, these 4 winners get paired against each other until we have 2 finalists. These 2 finalists battle it off for the grand prize.

Each round lasts 2 weeks long, and then there will be a judging period of 5 days for Round 1, 4 days for Round 2, 3 days for Round 3, 2 days for Round 4 and 1 day for Round 5, the final round.

Put more simply:
Round 1 -- 2 weeks
Judging -- 5 days
Round 2 -- 2 weeks
Judging -- 4 days
Round 3 -- 2 weeks
Judging -- 3 days
Round 4 -- 2 weeks
Judging -- 2 days
Round 5 -- 2 weeks
Judging -- 1 day

85 days in all.

Yay no rules!
In your dreams...
1.) In the main knockout competition, don't post songs which you made ages ago. The songs you make will have to be made specifically for the competition. In the auditions, you can post any song of yours (even ones made earlier), but any songs submitted for the main competition will have to have been made during the 2 week period of the round.
2.) No remixes or covers. Your own original work, 100%.
3.) No collaborating. You can work with a singer or voice actor, but everything else must be done entirely by you.
4.) If any disagreement should arise with the judges or any other competitors, DON'T start a flame war in the thread but sort it out via pm's.
5.) Almost every genre is accepted, and we will judge every song with the least bias possible, but don't submit any Voice Acting or experimental/noise submissions. This is purely a music-related competition, so any demo reels of your voice acting or some experimental noise you made are not allowed.
6.) Have fun. While there is a prize, this is still a competition for fun; do NOT take the word 'Deathmatch' literally.
7.) Failure to comply with any of the above rules will result in instant disqualification. Darklight and I reserve the right to disqualify anyone who we deem to be ruining the competition for everyone via trolling, flaming, being a nuisance or any other form of action which could ruin the fun for everyone.

How will we be judged?
First things first, you're getting judged by:
Supersteph54
Darklight17
Kaizerwolf
LogicalDefiance
brokendeck
Pure-Metal-UTA

Total of 6 judges.

At the end of every round, a judging period begins, as posted above, and at the end of that judging period, we will make a new thread entitled 'NGADM '10 Round <> Results' and every judge will post their reviews on each submission for the round, along with their score out of 10 (you should also use said results thread to post your submissions for the next round). We'll then calculate a score out of 60 for every submission, by adding up all of the judges' scores out of 10, and we'll also calculate an average of all 6 scores out of 10. So basically, in every results thread, every submission will have a score out of 60 and an average out of 10. The winners of the round will then be chosen.

If you still have some doubt, feel free to ask in this thread or check out one of the results threads from last year as an example.

Also, note that every contestant will be notified via PM when a new results thread is out.

Oh no, I have a problem. What happens if I make a submission, post it in the thread but want to change it?
EDIT THE SUBMISSION over HERE. Do NOT post a totally new version and say 'never mind the old version, review this one please!' as this submission will not be judged and we will only judge the first submission you made, so do not delete your older submission to make us review your newer one as this will result in you getting disqualified.

About that grand prize you were talking about...?

1st place:
1.) The option of a frontpage of one of your songs of your choice.
2.) The option to get a detailed review by every judge on 3 songs of your choice.
3.) A 1st place NGADM '10 forum signature.

2nd place:
1.) A 2nd place NGADM '10 forum signature.
2.) A handshake.

3rd place:
1.) A 3rd place NGADM '10 forum signature.
2.) A thumbs-up.

--

General stuff that require common sense:

which is not so common.

1.) Don't enter the competition unless you're sure about what you're getting into. You'll have strict deadlines of 2 weeks to make a totally new submission. If you think you'll lose interest in one of the rounds or you don't think you can make the deadlines, then don't join. Inactive contestants just make the competition harder and harder to manage.

2.) If you're about to say something negative, don't say it. The NGADM threads are not places to complain about or make suggestions. If you want to complain or make a suggestion, then PM me or Darklight17.

3.) Submit all audio to Newgrounds. Any audio hosted on another site will not be judged.

4.) Feel free to post any NGADM-related discussion in any NGADM '10 thread. These threads aren't strictly for submissions. Although like I said, any suggestions and complaints are not welcome in the thread and must be send via PM.

5.) It goes without saying that you should remember to follow the standard BBS rules and all audio submitted must follow the Audio rules: no copyrighted sounds, no pre-made loops, no midi-rips, no stealing other people's songs and no ear-piercing spam.

--

And that's about it! Feel free to ask any questions in the Auditions thread or any Results thread, or you can PM me or Darklight17. Good luck!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 05:59:06

Audition entry:

Question: why not just let the four best people get the frontpage for a week, considering this is the hugest contest ever? (yeah well except the last one)

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 06:30:55

Just thought I'd demonstrate how to not post as I purposely broke rule 2 in section general stuff

have fun everyone

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 09:37:52

Ah, I've been really excited for this, glad to see it so refined. This one is not my best but I didn't want to break rule 2. :P

Hope this one was as fun as the last!

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 09:45:30

I'd like to give this another shot. Here's the audition track.

Also, do we need to define a set of genres like last time, or will we be going completely random with the match ups this time around?

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 09:53:15

I have failed to jump aboard any of the previous Ngadm's, but no way in hell am I missing this one.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 10:18:24

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 11:42:46

At 7/20/10 09:45 AM, callitsleep89 wrote:
Also, do we need to define a set of genres like last time, or will we be going completely random with the match ups this time around?

A basic idea of what genres ur gonna be composing would help but is not compulsory.

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 12:11:53

BBS Signature

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 12:57:42

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 13:05:49

I had some fun last time, and i think i've made some improvements to my composition and mixing, so maybe i'll get even further this time!! =D

Had some difficulty on which was my best, since i've got a few songs that are good. So here's hoping i get in. (Fingers crossed)

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 13:09:56

BBS Signature

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 13:39:10

Retro never get old!

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 13:43:09

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 13:46:43

Quick question: Do the creation time frames (2 weeks) overlap with the judging periods? Because if they did then I think that would save a lot of time throughout the contest so people don't get bored and ask every five minutes if the results are in.

Just a thought...

BBS Signature

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 14:17:39

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 14:25:03

BBS Signature

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 14:41:13

I have a newer version of this, but its on my main computer and I'm on vacation for 2 more weeks.

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 14:42:57

BBS Signature

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 15:33:31

hoping I'll either get kicked off or have time before I run off to college.

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 15:47:09

I might as well take a shot at this :D

Check me out on: Soundcloud l Twitter | Facebook

Newest song: GHOSTS

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 15:54:58

Hooray I'm judging!
Although my username states my genre preferences, it doesn't mean that I won't be completely biased against the genres I hate with a passion (which i will not state for obvious reasons). All my reviews will be fair!
That being said, good luck in the auditions!
Now let's keep bringing the audition entries in!

Do judges also help determine which auditioneers get in?

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 16:50:09

At 7/20/10 04:04 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 7/20/10 03:54 PM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote: Hooray I'm judging!
Although my username states my genre preferences, it doesn't mean that I won't be completely biased against the genres I hate with a passion (which i will not state for obvious reasons). All my reviews will be fair!
yeah that sounds great already :/

You seriously have nothing to worry about. I hate it get I get biased reviews in contests, namely last year's NGADM. There will be absolutely NO biase and my reviews will be based on composition, mixing and feel. Besides, last year there weren't any entries in the genres I despise. Even if there are, i'll suck it up.
So all in all, NO biased reviews from me. I want people to win fairly

And no, I don't despise electronica

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 17:15:28

At 7/20/10 04:50 PM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote: And no, I don't despise electronica

Hey, he spelled it right, that means he must be a good judge!

BBS Signature

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-20 19:18:28

At 7/20/10 11:42 AM, Darklight17 wrote:
At 7/20/10 09:45 AM, callitsleep89 wrote:
A basic idea of what genres ur gonna be composing would help but is not compulsory.

well I suppose that it would do no good to state genres until the audition phase is over, anyways.

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-21 03:10:50

At 7/20/10 01:46 PM, djInTheDark wrote: Quick question: Do the creation time frames (2 weeks) overlap with the judging periods? Because if they did then I think that would save a lot of time throughout the contest so people don't get bored and ask every five minutes if the results are in.

Just a thought...

I dont think the submission periods overlap as this would results in a judge reviewing a particular song and then that contestant editing that song and as such having wasted the judge's time...

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-21 03:12:13

At 7/20/10 03:54 PM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote:
Do judges also help determine which auditioneers get in?

I honestly dont know as audtions was Steph's idea so ull have to ask him when he manages to log in after a 2 day flight. ;)

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-21 03:43:25

BBS Signature

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-21 03:51:19

Damn...do I really have to audition again? =( I think it'd be cruel to paste the song that earned me 3rd in the last one, but I suppose it's technically my "best submission" lol:

Why not just show you a dubstep loop I worked on? I'm currently working on the full song of it:

If you want me to get the full song up here, I'll get that up, pronto.

P.S. Thanks again Supersteph for hosting another one of these amazing competitions! =D

Nothing More rulez d00d!

BBS Signature

Response to The Ngadm '10 Auditions! 2010-07-21 04:12:02