Respond to this Topic
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 04:50 PM Reply

Congrats to the winners. Hope there's more themed days like this in the future :)

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Pure-Metal-UTA
Pure-Metal-UTA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 04:54 PM Reply

Congratz to the winners, but I do have to say I'm kinda disappointed that the audio winners were all electronic-based.
Other than that, good work to everyone!

KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 05:06 PM Reply

At 7/17/10 04:54 PM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote: Congratz to the winners, but I do have to say I'm kinda disappointed that the audio winners were all electronic-based.
Other than that, good work to everyone!

Me too, I was expecting Industrial, Glitch or Noise at least, oh well... Congratulations to the winners.

munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 05:24 PM Reply

congrats to the winners (shame i got no prize at the lit competitionm)

also didn't the poetry collab win anything in the literature department?
i'm still proud to be in it

BBS Signature
carljohnson
carljohnson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 05:44 PM Reply

I would have to say this entire thing is rigged to hell, BigRamone's movie which outshines and blows everything else out of the water AND won daily feature of Robot Day 2010 did not win first place! It is the rightful winner afterall, what the heck is going on!!!

JordanD
JordanD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 05:48 PM Reply

Aww, nothing for patchman? Heh :P Nah its cool, the winners totally deserved it! Congrats to everyone, great robot day!

alextheDJ
alextheDJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 06:43 PM Reply

Holy Shit! I can't believe I won $250! I wasn't expecting that :D

Congrats to all the other winners!

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 06:51 PM Reply

Congrats, guys!

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 06:54 PM Reply

gratz all the prize winners!

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

juansolous
juansolous
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 07:23 PM Reply

Congratulations to all the Robot Day winners, I enjoyed watching them.

I love hunting for Blam points!!!

BBS Signature
flipshoe
flipshoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 07:40 PM Reply

Are we robot or are we human? "Robot Day 2010" declared an inevitable investigation, and long behold, excellent work on many mediums (games, animation, art, writing, audio) tried to capture some wayward understanding (think my "Little Bots Attack" tried to sabotage, but the big bots deceived and won). So, with much appreciation for hosting something, anything... to do with robots (I love em, till they turn), big-time congrats to the winners (judging was interesting... personally I'd've picked others in each). Thanks for an idea turned devilishly real MindChamber. The submissions were fabulicious and beyond epic (whatta stronghold of artistic talent 'ere at Newgrounds man!). So, again, thanks to MindChamber, NGs, and all the crazy artists competing. A "toast" to the winners and losers... much deserved! Now to unplug that nagging bot inside... deep inside where nano-nano 01001001 resides...Mork friend?:)

Robot Day 2010 Winners

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 07:48 PM Reply

also, im guessing by the front page that i got 4th for audio :P

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 07:50 PM Reply

waiiittt. just did the math and realized 2nd place wasn't front paged...

Jess-The-Dragoon
Jess-The-Dragoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 08:37 PM Reply

Robot Day is over....
I was hoping to win but in the end I got nothing.... ($#!+ $#!+ $#!+) I really don't know how the judging was done but it sure sucks to be a loser...
Oh well... maximum effort, no results, wasted time.... Anyways, congrats to the winners.

Robot Day 2010 Winners

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 09:42 PM Reply

At 7/17/10 02:56 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:
At 7/17/10 12:33 PM, MindChamber wrote: The amount of time a story took to make, or amount of words it took to create doesn't automaticly make it entaintaining.

I could name tons of million dollar blockbuster outshine by low budget films. Learn some sportsmanship.
I don't think Fro was commenting on the length or time invested, as we all know that longer flash animations, or those that may have taken years to make, aren't necessarily all that great. Where there are artists such as Luis who can spout top quality relatively rapidly.

The issue in this case is that most people have a set standard of quality when it comes to visual media because most people are inundated with it throughout their lives. In this situation, I agree with Fro in the sense that quality of the submissions were substandard in regard to those that placed. If the competition were meant for short, witty submissions, perhaps that should have been emphasized. Because there were no limits placed, writers took the liberty to expound on the story without any set expectations other than "there needs to be robots."

I will corroborate Fro's statement, and I will put my own experience and knowledge behind it. I'm sure others in the writing community will corroborate this. The quality of the submissions that won, from a writer's perspective, are sub-standard. Fro should have placed better, I agree.

For the future, it would be nice if writers were given a better set of criteria, because if all that was being sought was a cheap thrill, it should be made known. It's not fair to the writers who invested more thought into their work.

I understand this is a flash community, and writing expertise should not be expected, but I think if you support something (such as literature), it needs to be supported 100%. At the very least, in the future, make the requirements better known. For example, the MWC.

You do understand that no matter how well written a submission is,its worthless if it doesn't grab the reader. I found a lot of those other pieces to be unnecessarily wordy and pretentious. I also mentioned before that submissions should be written with flash animators in mind, no ones going to animate a 20 minute sketch between two characters and no change in scenery. You can't insult my ability to judge because you misunderstood the criteria.

Tell you what, next robot day Ill take two respected writers from the forums to help me judge the lit portion. All I ask is you and trevor try to refrain insulting the
winners, insulting my a ability to judge,harrass me on aim like Fro,and generally showing no kind of sportsmanship or class whatsoever. Let the winners enjoy this,and we'll work on making it better next time.

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 09:54 PM Reply

At 7/17/10 03:17 PM, scartheatre wrote:
At 7/17/10 11:56 AM, TomFulp wrote: The winners were selected by MindChamber with the exception of games because he didn't like any of them. He wanted more prizes to go to movies and art instead, so here are two more $30 movie prizes:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/54 1851
So was commercial music allowed in the end?

You are completely right, the prize will have to be revoked. Thanks for pointing it out.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 10:03 PM Reply

At 7/17/10 09:42 PM, MindChamber wrote:
try to refrain insulting my a ability to judge,harrass me on aim like Fro,and generally showing no kind of sportsmanship or class whatsoever.

yo, mc. fug u. this is the internet. get used to opinions you don't agree with. if you can't deal with some random kids opinions then why are you working for a website that deals with user submitted crap?

Let the winners enjoy this,

word.

:and we'll work on making it better next time.

wait wut? didn't you guys learn anything from how pissed your audio community got from the tank awards after tom hand picked the musician of he year winner? shut up man.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 10:09 PM Reply

At 7/17/10 09:54 PM, MindChamber wrote: You are completely right, the prize will have to be revoked. Thanks for pointing it out.

Just a suggestion, but I think that prize should then be given to:

!

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 10:22 PM Reply

At 7/17/10 09:42 PM, MindChamber wrote: You do understand that no matter how well written a submission is,its worthless if it doesn't grab the reader. I found a lot of those other pieces to be unnecessarily wordy and pretentious. I also mentioned before that submissions should be written with flash animators in mind, no ones going to animate a 20 minute sketch between two characters and no change in scenery. You can't insult my ability to judge because you misunderstood the criteria.

I don't mean to insult you, and I'm sorry you took offense. I was only making an observation. And to be clear, you advised scripts be designed with animators in mind. That qualifier alone, applied to all submissions, would be more than enough in the future.

Tell you what, next robot day Ill take two respected writers from the forums to help me judge the lit portion. All I ask is you and trevor try to refrain insulting the winners, insulting my a ability to judge,harrass me on aim like Fro,and generally showing no kind of sportsmanship or class whatsoever. Let the winners enjoy this,and we'll work on making it better next time.

That's all I really ask. And I'm just treating the winners like I would any other submission in the Writing forum. Perhaps I'm a harsh critique.

I'm not trying to harass you, nor am I trying to be a pest; for that matter, I appreciate you dignifying my post with a response. In the end, I'm simply making my opinion known as effectively as possible. Given your response, I can only get to work for next year's competition.

If any of the Lit Contest winners were offended by what I said, please approach me directly and I would be more than happy to justify my analysis with thorough and constructive critique. Please also see my comment as a reflection of your piece, and not you as a writer.
Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 10:22 PM Reply

At 7/17/10 09:54 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 7/17/10 03:17 PM, scartheatre wrote:
So was commercial music allowed in the end?
You are completely right, the prize will have to be revoked. Thanks for pointing it out.

Damn. Rules are rules, and it's our fault for revolving the whole animation around U2, but at the very least, Hogabeast and I got screwed out of Daily 5th, and we'd like that fixed. It's been a week!

Congrats to all the winners! Here's to an even bigger turn out for Robot Day next year! :D

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
deadspread83
deadspread83
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 10:27 PM Reply

Congrats to all the winners! Turned out to be one of the more enjoyable Art Contests for me.

TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 10:44 PM Reply

I stick to my assessment of the winners, however thank you for appeasing us with the 2 additional judges. Cheers.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
carljohnson
carljohnson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 11:09 PM Reply

I am shocked and appalled that none of you seem to recall BigRamone's flawless piece.

Psychofig
Psychofig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 11:13 PM Reply

Er, how did Everything Is Robot win first prize for games? It got a 3.21, Beat Bot scored higher. Also, Sissy Boy Gets Fucked did win for best movie.

josh-tamugaia
josh-tamugaia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 11:19 PM Reply

At 7/17/10 08:37 PM, Jess-The-Dragoon wrote: Robot Day is over....
I was hoping to win but in the end I got nothing.... ($#!+ $#!+ $#!+) I really don't know how the judging was done but it sure sucks to be a loser...
Oh well... maximum effort, no results, wasted time.... Anyways, congrats to the winners.

well, ITYS. You were better off spending your time creating your own masterpiece, as planned... right? ITYS ITYS

PikaRobo
PikaRobo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 17th, 2010 @ 11:57 PM Reply

Well, I might not have won anything but at least I got the honor of first page for a while. I'll have to check out the movie and game winners later, I don't think I can wait...

Let's all hope there's a Robot Day next year!

Robot Day 2010 Winners

BBS Signature
PabMo
PabMo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 18th, 2010 @ 12:36 AM Reply

At 7/17/10 12:25 PM, TomFulp wrote: MC wasn't at the office on Robot Day so he missed the four hour Rocketeer session. :(

Perhaps if he was there he would have chosen the audio I submitted. Featured in the wonderful game.

FerchuPivots
FerchuPivots
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 18th, 2010 @ 12:38 AM Reply

Congrats Everyone and Happy Robot Day
im glad newgrounds gives prizes for those who worked at their best to celebrate a holiday :D

Noxus707
Noxus707
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 18th, 2010 @ 12:57 AM Reply

WELL WHOPTY FRIGN DOO!!!!!

Robot Day 2010 Winners

CosmicDeath
CosmicDeath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Robot Day 2010 Winners Jul. 18th, 2010 @ 01:10 AM Reply

At 7/17/10 10:27 PM, deadspread83 wrote: Congrats to all the winners! Turned out to be one of the more enjoyable Art Contests for me.

^ :D

Got a chance to work on my metallic painting skills and ended up making some decent art! I was really happy and surprised by the art and writing turn out. ^_^ Congratulations to the winners!! *squee*

BBS Signature