00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What do you think?

2,321 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to What do you think? 2010-07-16 02:09:03

At 7/16/10 01:50 AM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: So, if you have an elitist attitude; you can shove it. Thanks.

I wouldn't say I was going for the elitist approach. I'd just like to see how strewn across the board the o.p.'s style is. I didn't say there was anything wrong with anime, I would just like to see some variation if at all possible.

As a growing artist, I definitely started with cartoon-like pieces, but now I've allowed for variation in my style so that I am comfortable all across the board, you know what I mean?

Just saying, there's some potential. Just change it up a bit and work outside your comfort zone. It's how you get better along with practice.

Photographer - Digital Painter - Game Designer - Hawt Seckser

Response to What do you think? 2010-07-16 02:23:41

At 7/16/10 02:09 AM, brettamatowski wrote: stuff.

If you had started with this kind of post, there wouldn't have been a problem (well, maybe still, with Democracy).
This is a good, constructive post!

Since nobody has responded to the OPs last drawing, I will:
It's great that you're going for detailed pieces, and the background looks good, but the character has some notable flaws. The biggest probably being the wings, which look flat and not a whole lot like wings. They're also way too small for that guy to even dream of flying with them, which would be fine in a more stylized piece, but I'm not sure if that's what you would be going for.
The torso is too thin at the stomach for where the armpits are. It would have a really unnatural shape like that. The armpits align with the hip, and his are much too far out for that.
Hope that helps some.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think? 2010-07-16 02:25:46

At 7/16/10 02:23 AM, Luxembourg wrote:

:The armpits align with the hip, and his are much too far out for that.

Gah, sorry for the double post here, but I don't think this was very clear.
Male armpits are supposed to align with the hip. His don't.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think? 2010-07-16 13:49:01

Thank you. This was an older piece of mine that I did years ago. I've since improved, but lately I've been unable to draw anything that I like. I'm trying though. It's just hard when you lack inspiration.

It's hard being this crazy

Response to What do you think? 2010-07-16 14:00:37

Oh, and for those who were whining about my anime, you can bite me. I do realistic stuff, too. Just not that often. Like this angel. I'm sorry that it;s a photograph, but I's really hard to scan a six page piece in and line it up properly. Many who are better at things like that have tried to do it for me after I failed and even they couldn't do it. And my apologies for the crappy photography. Lighting in my house is terrible...

What do you think?

Response to What do you think? 2010-07-16 14:21:29

Don't worry, there are many worse photographs around. Actually I think it's not too dark, so lighting in your house can't be that bad.

The drawing itself is quite good. For me, it's the best work you posted so far. I'd recommend a little more detail on the hair, but I leave critiquing to the more experienced artists around. I'm pretty sure the wings are too small though.

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think? 2010-07-16 15:02:50

I honestly hate the wings. I honestly suck at them. Everything else on her though I like. I only made her an angel because she was requested by someone. I spent over a month drawing all six panes. She was supposed to go on the guy's mother's headstone, but I just couldn't draw her fast enough. I was still in high school at the time so I had homework to be done before her. None the less, I think it's quite a spectacular piece that has gotten praise from tons of people.

Response to What do you think? 2010-07-16 15:17:43

Did you ever consider doing it on posterboard, rather than on several sheets? That would have been more sensible.
In the demon and angel drawings, the wings are less than perfect. I think, to practice doing wings, you should look up some images of bird's and bat's wings and try using them as references. Make some detailed drawings, and you'll get better at them. With bird's wings (which are what angels have), you'll notice that they're not actually round, like many people mistake them for being.

The rest of the drawing is pretty good. Good amounts of detail, love the folds on her robe. One other teensy issue is that where her lower lip attaches to the face is in too far. It's hardly noticeable, but I figured I'd point it out anyways.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think? 2010-07-16 15:24:10

I was going to do it all on one sheet of paper but... I couldn't get all the details right on such a small scale. And I like your idea for wing practice. Makes much more sense now.