Respond to this Topic
ComradeYuri
ComradeYuri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 00:09:57 Reply

I bet none of this would have happened if Gore won for prez. Well in the meantime I hope Kerry wins the election. He cant be as much of an idiot as Dubya.

j00bie
j00bie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 00:10:35 Reply

bwahahaha i hope you americans suffer with your....

not being able to.... pierce womens.... stuff....

bwahahaha canada>america!!!!

Murdocc
Murdocc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 00:11:05 Reply

We're screwed.

Redneck-Clock
Redneck-Clock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 00:28:05 Reply

At 3/27/04 12:25 PM, TomFulp wrote: Georgia Bans Female Genital Piercing (Associated Press)
Excellent Commentary via BMEZINE

Bout time that my state did something right! >: ) I must say I am extremely proud of my voted in representive that might i add i helped vote into office!

Strange99
Strange99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 00:40:13 Reply

Isn't that kinda against the constitution?

What is happening to this country?

agatio
agatio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 00:43:36 Reply

"Oh, and if some video games get banned due to their content, so what? Cry me a river."

This is a perfect example of what we call "apathy", one of the reasons why America is so badly injured, and why ceartain politicians are allowed to be the asses they are.

Hmmm...I wonder if you said the above quotation to the people who worked their asses off night and day to make a video game, regardless of content, in person? They probably won't like that. Video games are made to entertain people.

"Africa is constantly being ripped apart by tribal fighting, AIDS, and famine."

Really? This country is also plagued with AIDS, fighting (though it is mostly associated with gangs), poverty (which is associated with famine), and a bunch of other bullshit than I care to talk about.

BBS Signature
CharityJonesThe7th
CharityJonesThe7th
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 00:53:05 Reply

Wow. You think this wouldn't have happened had Gore been president? That takes a real lack of intuitive thought to come up with that. Don't play the "coulda woulda shoulda" game, no one knows how things really would have happened or be happening with another man at the helm. Things are the way they are, and if you want to make a difference, work on the present so the future can be better--don't gripe about the past...it's already happened. It's unalterable. Learn from it and move on.

This nation wasn't a failed Puritan colony. It was originally a hodgepodge of American Indians, Mexicans, Spaniards, French, and British people spread across the map in colonies run by different empires. Then they all started mixing together, and the result, Americans, fought wars to take the east, southwest, and northwest, and bought the midwest and Alaska. We killed some Hawaiians, too. The Puritans were just a piece of the puzzle, a segment of the whole. We just focus on them more because they were British, and most Americans are white with some British ancestry so we tend to focus on them more.

Most Americans are ungrateful. That's where a lot of these troubles spring from--most Americans don't realize that our middle and lower classes still live better than most of the population of the rest of the world.

I love this country, but yeah, of course, problems exist. We're in a strange environment--this is just about the only area in the world where you don't have to worry about your neighbors. Europe is full of countries, borders, differing cultures. We have Canada and Mexico. Canada is basically America, except they play Rush on the radio more often. We don't even bother to have a real border with them--it's the largest open border in the world. Why would we need to bother? They're Canadians! What can you have against Canadians? Mexico has shifted enough of its population into the southwest that all the locals are used to them.

So, Americans grow up not really worrying about other countries. It's sad. Concern and interest in others is a healthy thing to have. European kids are forced to travel around before they go to college, just so they know what things are like in other countries, other cultures. I know Americans (yes, people this stupid exist all over the world, but it's more depressing that I grew up with these guys) that couldn't find places like Kenya, Mongolia, or Papua New Guinea on a map if you spotted them the continent they're on. So yeah. I started rambling there. Sorry.

Separation of church and state...do you know what that means? What its original intentions were? I'm not sure I do, either. So many laws have been made and subsequently twisted around that it's hard to tell what our founding fathers intended. Sure, you could reason that some of the things they started were changed for the better. You could also reason that they were probably much smarter than us about politics and some of their ideas shouldn't have been messed with. At least then we'd really know what they meant. Do you know the real intent behind the right to bear arms? Neither do I. It's been lost in all the cries for the increase and better establishment of freedoms we all seem to crave.

Go live in a third world country for a year or so. You'll come back so grateful that you have running water and heating ducts that you won't even think about video games or anything like that.

Why do some people try to define what someone can or cannot do to themselves, you ask? Because what we do is who we are. It is our mindset. The old cliche that actions speak louder than words is true. Televangelists that claim spiritual knowledge don't hold much sway after they're caught sleeping with hookers. Laws that define what we can do are made to define who we are. Think of Amsterdam. I hope I never have to go there. I certainly never want to live there. Why? Because it's known as the place where you can get anything, buy anything, do anything. That is its reputation. Sometimes people just don't want to be tied to a reputation like that in any way. Personally, I hate Vegas. I've been there, and I was happy to leave--the air tastes rotten in that town. To me, it's a symbol of the bad things that we do as a society, of the things we let loose that other nations hate us for. Is all the hatred justified? I don't think so. But when we have a town where you can legally buy a woman for a few hours and drop 50 large at the roulette wheel in a matter of seconds, while other countries have children starving to death due to famine, I can see why they'd be perturbed...

MoralLibertarian
MoralLibertarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 00:56:19 Reply

Can you imagine an officer enforcing this new law?

"Ma'am, please take off your pants and spread your legs. I need to see if you have a snatch piercing."

If you people stopped and thought about this law, you would realize how fucking ridiculous your bitching is. There's NO WAY to enforce it.

I don't know why people are talking about Bush; he has nothing to do with this one. Georgia's state legislature passed the bill, which means both democrats and republicans voted for it. So you partisian twits, shut the fuck up.

Priamsheir
Priamsheir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 01:03:35 Reply

First, this thread is stupid because someone took a small bit of a bigger picture and bitched about it. No one even knows what this is about, and no one cares to find out, they just read the missleading title and raised their arms in protest. You can still get your genitals pierced in Georgia, hate to break the news to everybody, instead of taking this thread as gospel, go take a look for your damn self. It's obvious everyone here has access to the internet, why don't you use it and see what your up set about. Quit being such mindless drones and think for yourselves. Then, after you have all the facts, make an opinion because untill you do that, all you do is give more power to the stupidity that exists.

God Bless America...You're so right, it's scary. Thank you.

CharityJonesThe7th
CharityJonesThe7th
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 01:07:18 Reply

"This is a perfect example of what we call "apathy", one of the reasons why America is so badly injured, and why ceartain politicians are allowed to be the asses they are."

No, that was not apathy. I care very much about the entertainment that is ingested in this society.

"Hmmm...I wonder if you said the above quotation to the people who worked their asses off night and day to make a video game, regardless of content, in person? They probably won't like that. Video games are made to entertain people."

I would say that to them because that is my view, and I stick to my guns. Just because something is made doesn't make it worth making. A lot of people put a lot of time and energy into growing, producing, and selling cocaine. Does that make it worth doing? Yeah, video games are made to entertain people. Too many things are made just to entertain people. What do you get out of it? Hopefully some release, as is the point of all hobbies. But do you learn from it? Does it actually matter to you? What do you get out of it?

Also, you're talking about courtesy to workers--what about all the people here ripping into politicians? They work. They have long days, long weeks, long years. Half their constituencies wouldn't care if they died. They get all the blame when things go wrong, whether they had anything to do with it or not. Whenever they do something right, their applauded by their supporters but their detractors will somehow give the credit to the ones who came before. When was the last time a video game designer was publicly slandered on a television commercial for the gain of another?

"This country is also plagued with AIDS, fighting (though it is mostly associated with gangs), poverty (which is associated with famine), and a bunch of other bullshit than I care to talk about."

All the more reason to pay more attention to these problems and not escape into video games and cry about how you don't want them taken away. There's a difference between a hobby and a crutch. Again, all these problems exist in the world. Real, actual problems that occur in every nation, not just some outpost in Nepal that you happen to see on the news. Things you can help out about, fight against, help solve. And you're in here going on about video games?

agatio
agatio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 01:08:59 Reply

Oh, almost forgot...

"There are still countries where if you're suspected of slandering the head of state, you get dragged out of your house at night, shot, and buried in an unmarked grave. "

Maybe so, but the 1st Amendment is SEVERELY tarnished these days. You can't even compliment a person's shoes without someone biting your head off. There are people who are being punished for saying things that are CLEAN and LEGIT. That said, we don't know what to say anymore.

BBS Signature
CharityJonesThe7th
CharityJonesThe7th
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 01:16:51 Reply

People being punished for saying things that are clean and legit? Like what? What's clean and legit to you?

What the First Amendment has come to mean could be seen as tarnished. But we're the ones who altered the meaning of it after its writing anyway.

ef7
ef7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 01:22:31 Reply

well it makes sence my grandparents wouldnt let my get my genatals peirced either if i asked. goes to show that old people dont like change

Priamsheir
Priamsheir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 01:22:45 Reply

I'm looking more and more into this issue, and I'm starting to make some possible conclusions with this whole political issue:

The individual who tacked on this amendment to the bill is:
A) trying to have it defeated by putting impossible and silly legislation alongside a good law, for some political purpose.
B) he's just not understanding the difference between forced female circumcision, rape, or other mutiliation and paying to have a vag pierced.
C) he's trying to raise an issue to show some of his consitutents (supporters/voters) where he stands OR he's trying to do what he's appointed to do and represent some of his costituents by tacking on the amendment.
D) he's looking for publicity he can use on other agendas.
E) his teenage daughter is trying to have her's pierced. lol.
F) someone else is pressuring or supporting him enough to make him add it on.
G) he's simply following his own ideology, which believe it or not you can do in the government of a representitive democracy.

There are many other possibilites, of course, but here I've covered what patience has allowed.

And where the hell did Bush get into all of this? People got all excited and started throwing a Bush bashing in here.

And where did the Christian churches get involved in this, too?
People need to calm down about this stuff. It's not God's fault nor Bush's that this relative non-issue came about, and you need to take a deep breath and accept the fact that for about 8 more months, barring a disaster of some kind, both the presidency of George W. Bush and the existence of the Christian church are going to continue, and if you don't like them you don't have to believe in either of them. Nothing's being shit away by either of these two things, and if you believe that all the problems of this nation and the world are being caused by them you are just like a Nazi blaming a Jew for the chaos after World War 1...and sadly, we all know how that turned out. Think, be calm and fair, and don't jump to stupid conclusions about conspiracies(spelling?) and warmongering without any facts. Other than that...

Don't worry, be happy!

rancid-alan
rancid-alan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 01:24:24 Reply

DAMN YOU AMERICA! They cannot stop us, watch. The president probably has a dick piercing.

DonPeriOn
DonPeriOn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 01:31:18 Reply

i agree with on the whole piercing thing Tom. if this country is based on freedom, women should be able to do whatever they want to their bodies.

Immelmann
Immelmann
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 01:35:51 Reply

Personally, I see this as yet another form of discrimination based on gender. The principle is the same as not being allowed to vote, not having the same pay, and being barred from jobs just because you're female. The fact it doesn't bar men from getting their genitals pierced is just an affirmation of the fact that it is legislature that is discriminating against females.

And since when did the government start controlling the way a woman uses her body? That's a violation of individual rights. If a woman wants to get her cl!t pierced, it's her body. And it's not harming ANYONE besides maybe the woman herself, but she WANTS to get it done. If they had banned forced piercings of the female genitals, I wouldn't have any problem with it, but this is all piercings of the female genitals, whether voluntary or not.

All in all, I think this was a very idiotic ban and should have been thought over more. Unfortunately it looks like Georgia is full of conservatives who'd die of shock seeing a woman with her genitals pierced. Go figure.

CharityJonesThe7th
CharityJonesThe7th
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 01:50:56 Reply

Anybody can do anything they want to their bodies. They always have been able to, and they always will be able to. If you really want to put a brand of a bullseye on your bicep, no one can stop you. If you really want to go kill the hobo in the alleyway, no one will stop you, not unless you goof up and wake up the other hobos while you move in to strike.

We, as human beings, have the ability to choose, to do what we want. The only things that limit this total freedom are our choices and the choices of others, hence the love of the idea that America is some sort of magical happy land where you can do whatever you want without the government interfering. Well, that's where things get tricky, because for the sake of organizing everybody and in an attempt to minimize the possibility of the choices of one limiting the choices of others, rules were set up. Make no mistake about these rules, these laws--they're all based in morals. If you truly had no morals, none whatsoever, you would be a true anarchist. Very few such people exist today--if you had no morals, you wouldn't mind having your car stolen, because to you there would be nothing wrong with stealing. You wouldn't mind being shot, because to you there isn't anything wrong with violence. So yeah, very few such people really exist. So the morals of the voting majority get instilled into law, except in the instances where the Supreme Court decides for everyone regardless of popular opinion.

America is supposed to be about tolerance--where even if I don't agree with you, I let you go on with what you're doing...provided it doesn't impugn the law. With morals can come religious views. People often learn them hand in hand even if they discard the latter to do away with the more burdensome of the former. There are some who believe that the body is sacred, that it is a gift, and to purposely fill it with holes and scar it is to be ungrateful and disrespectful. In their view, it shouldn't be legal to treat such a great gift in such a lowly fashion.

The funny thing is that you're asking these people to give up their views, to stop being idiots, and to stop caring about others. You're being intolerant to them while asking them to fully tolerate and accept you. And then you go on about how we all need our rights. Do you see the discrepancy there?

Lachupakopera
Lachupakopera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 01:52:27 Reply

Well the piercings do get in the way of my tongue, but anyway, its another thing to add to the stupid law list.

Anyway, I think its unfair. That guy has issues.

-Jerry

hukedunfonikswork
hukedunfonikswork
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 02:04:10 Reply

Dude, wtf, 160-0, gotta wonder how that one was pulled off. its just so sad, where is our country going. How are they gonna find people who already have one, metal detectors????

Priamsheir
Priamsheir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 02:08:06 Reply

At 3/28/04 02:04 AM, huked-un-foniks-work wrote: Dude, wtf, 160-0, gotta wonder how that one was pulled off. its just so sad, where is our country going. How are they gonna find people who already have one, metal detectors????

Instead of pointing out repetitve and boring arguments, you should acutally read what other people have to say instead of assuming you have an original idea. It saves space and makes it easier for informed people to hold back the wave of ignorance being flailed so rampantly here. And of course, get informed about the issue by at least reading the link in depth and trying to understand it.

Xanatosx
Xanatosx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 02:08:23 Reply

With crooked politicians and bible-beaters who beat the good book to a pulp leading the country, this country is going straight to hell. Fast. You got Kerry, who just scares me, taking all sides on an issue, That Falwell loser, blaming gays and lesbians for 9/11. I don't get into that kind of thing, but whatever. It's their life, and as the great loving lord has proven, he don't give a crap about us anymore. Let people do what they want as long as it don't offend others, like streaking Chuck E. Cheeses or knocking someone off. Don't like what I think? Fine. Your life and opinion. Can't change it. Peace out all.

Immelmann
Immelmann
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 02:16:25 Reply

At 3/28/04 01:50 AM, CharityJonesThe7th wrote: The funny thing is that you're asking these people to give up their views, to stop being idiots, and to stop caring about others. You're being intolerant to them while asking them to fully tolerate and accept you. And then you go on about how we all need our rights. Do you see the discrepancy there?

The people that think piercing the body / mutilating it are not necessarily the majority, for one, and for two, how come everyone has to accept the view these people have on "mutilation" of the body? The people that are saying "you shouldn't do this to your body!" shouldn't be allowed to force that opinion on others. If they don't like it, fine... they don't have to even SEE what they consider to be offensive and/or disrespectful mutilation of the female body. Not like every woman in America walks around nude in public on a daily basis!

Immelmann
Immelmann
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 02:17:47 Reply

Shit, typo.

The people that think piercing the body / mutilating it is bad*

Sorry guys.

ViperMask
ViperMask
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Game Developer
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 02:18:59 Reply

So much for America's "Freedom of Choice."

RiotPunk454
RiotPunk454
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 02:23:49 Reply

Yeah, I know where this country is going....... Hell

CharityJonesThe7th
CharityJonesThe7th
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 02:26:58 Reply

I didn't mean to imply that I was in the majority or that everyone agreed with me. I was just saying that I have just as much right to my opinion as you to yours.

And Falwell didn't blame 9/11 on gays. He said that the moral decline that in his opinion the nation is experiencing is to blame, that God no longer protects us from some of the evils of the world because we no longer hold the morals to follow God. That's what he was saying. A major part of that moral decline, in his opinion, is our not mere tolerance but basic acceptance of homosexuality and how we don't see it as a sin anymore. It caused the downfall of Sodom and Gomorrha, yet we let it exist in our modern society. That's his view.

Mike27112
Mike27112
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 02:32:52 Reply

wow... it's unanimous: we're all going to hell. or more accurately, we're going to stay here and create hell for ourselves.

i blame a lot of it on old people... seriously, if you think about it, old people are the ones that have grown up in a certain kind of world and are shocked to see it change. so they have a vested interested in keeping things the same; they want to keep things familiar for themselves. of course, i don't meant to denigrate all old people, just the ones that can't accept change.

a reminder to all of you to support free speech and newgrounds.

also, get out there this november and vote in the presidential election !!! (for those of you in the USA). i'm voting for kerry to get bush out of office; serously, objectively speaking, bush seems like he's just F***ing everything up.

Immelmann
Immelmann
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 02:45:10 Reply

At 3/28/04 02:26 AM, CharityJonesThe7th wrote: I didn't mean to imply that I was in the majority or that everyone agreed with me. I was just saying that I have just as much right to my opinion as you to yours.

And Falwell didn't blame 9/11 on gays. He said that the moral decline that in his opinion the nation is experiencing is to blame, that God no longer protects us from some of the evils of the world because we no longer hold the morals to follow God. That's what he was saying. A major part of that moral decline, in his opinion, is our not mere tolerance but basic acceptance of homosexuality and how we don't see it as a sin anymore. It caused the downfall of Sodom and Gomorrha, yet we let it exist in our modern society. That's his view.

1. Your reply @ me:

Well let's be fair - it could go both ways. People with the view that genital piercing is bad shouldn't be allowed to force that view on others (IE the ban) and at the same time people that don't care/want genital piercing should respect the people that find it offensive.

However, this would only be an issue if we were seeing the offensive piercings in full public view, which is obviously not the case here. Like I said, it's not like every woman in America walks around nude in public daily.

2. Your comment / Falwell's comment:

I can see where the religious people are coming from about homosexuality being a sin. But the difference between say...killing someone and having gay sex...is extreme. Homosexuals cannot help that they were born with an extra chromosone, whereas someone who kills someone else is purposefully commiting that sin.

And no, contrary to popular belief, you cannot choose your sexuality, nor is there a way to change your sexuality. If you're straight, you're straight. If you're gay, you're gay. Asking a gay person to try and be a straight person is asking them to be someone else, because (usually) gays identify HEAVILY with their sexuality...In fact, your sexuality determines a large part of who you are.

I also think that the gay marriage debacle that is going on currently is not considering the feelings of the homosexuals that want to get married. Even if some people consider it a sin to be homosexual/commit homosexual acts, THEY ARE STILL PEOPLE AND THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO LOVE. Marriage is a symbolic act of SEALING this love they have for each other, and gays are denied this on the grounds of their sexuality. I think anyone can see that's just not fair.

I think CharityJonesThe7th said it best when he said that America is supposed to be about tolerance. So why are we not tolerant of gays? Even if they are homosexual they are still people, just like even if you're black you're still a person. Same thing, it's just discrimination based on another trait, homosexuality, instead of the color of your skin.

Sorry for the long posts guys. x_X!

Immelmann
Immelmann
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to What is happening to this country? 2004-03-28 02:50:04 Reply

At 3/28/04 02:45 AM, Onizuka-sensei wrote: But the difference between say...killing someone and having gay sex...is extreme.

Shit, another typo there. I meant to say "killing someone and being born gay" We really need to have some way to edit our own posts. x.x;