New Topic Respond to this Topic
DanMasterFlash
DanMasterFlash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 02:52 AM Reply

Tell me how producing music has changed you in any way.

moozik is fuhn ye.

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 02:58 AM Reply

I'm rich enough to afford a surgically enhanced wangus-tronimilia (penis) that I can purchase surgically enhanced women to hang off of.

BBS Signature
SessileNomad
SessileNomad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 02:59 AM Reply

At 6/30/10 02:58 AM, InvisibleObserver wrote: I'm rich enough to afford a surgically enhanced wangus-tronimilia (penis) that I can purchase surgically enhanced women to hang off of.

NOICE!, i need to look into this music thing...

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 03:02 AM Reply

At 6/30/10 02:59 AM, SessileNomad wrote: NOICE!, i need to look into this music thing...

The trick isn't to sound good, but to look like you sound good, after all the perception of skill is much more important then skill itself. I'll be releasing an audio tape in visual format for your self betterment in the realm of music in late September.

BBS Signature
KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 03:54 AM Reply

To me, music is not just a mere tool that anyone can use to increase their popularity and/or make some money. I produce music for my own pure satisfaction, and well, for the people who's interested in my works. Sure popularity does help you in achieving your goals, but on the other side, being more popular also means being less understood and constantly bombed by others' lame critics, whatever you do. :)

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 04:07 AM Reply

At 6/30/10 03:54 AM, KKSlider60 wrote: being more popular also means being less understood

I will contest this claim from my high-chair of popularity and fame by nit-picking at your selection of wording.

There is not less understanding, but simply more misunderstanding to harbor through attaining fame.

BBS Signature
KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 04:29 AM Reply

At 6/30/10 04:07 AM, InvisibleObserver wrote:
At 6/30/10 03:54 AM, KKSlider60 wrote: being more popular also means being less understood
I will contest this claim from my high-chair of popularity and fame by nit-picking at your selection of wording.

There is not less understanding, but simply more misunderstanding to harbor through attaining fame.

Indeed. My choice of words sometimes doesn't reflect properly what I wish to express. Probably because English ain't my first language, but hey... shit happens to everyone. XD

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 05:01 AM Reply

Music rotted my soul and robbed me blind... Much like heroin, I started spending money on something that gives me no returns, and I can't stop doing it.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 06:06 AM Reply

I got cancer because of my music (i knew my songs sucked, but that bad?).

BBS Signature
eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 06:16 AM Reply

and I got aids cos of music :\

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 07:05 AM Reply

My music makes jesus fat.

Darkmaster603
Darkmaster603
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 07:07 AM Reply

music killed my father, and raped my mother.

I am the offspring of musical rape

Comment/follow/click on some ads

Sig courtesy of InvisibleObserver

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 09:04 AM Reply

It turned me into an egotiscital god complex egomaniac.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Svenzo
Svenzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 09:35 AM Reply

It made me eat peanutbutter,bacon banana sandwiches everday and turn fat..and for some reason makes me walk around in a white jumpsuit....

Your popularity through music?

BBS Signature
djInTheDark
djInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 09:57 AM Reply

I used to be a anti-social, run of the mill computer nerd.

Now I'm a anti-social, run of the mill computer nerd who's out of his element and happens to make music.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.
Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 11:08 AM Reply

At 6/30/10 02:52 AM, DanMasterFlash wrote: Tell me how producing music has changed you in any way.

composing music has changed me in a way that its easier for me to cope with the shit world around us, teaching me that that world is not absolute, that there are other dimensions to life.

It has also made me able to express myself alot better since im not the talkative type since i have little in common with the common man to talk about (unless i'd want to chase em off with subjects they wouldnt comprehend)

All in all it makes me a more dynamic person. :)

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 11:15 AM Reply

its not worth it if your looking for fame and fortune, your better of winning the lottery.

sources:

500,000 + views, 300+ subscribers and few label releases.

I Am L3O, I Am the only Me there is Nobody Else
L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 11:20 AM Reply

At 6/30/10 11:15 AM, DJRAV3N wrote: its not worth it if your looking for fame and fortune, your better of winning the lottery.

sources:

500,000 + views, 300+ subscribers and few label releases.

The real question is why would anyone want to be famous, do you really want to come out of clubs getting shot up by paparazzi every time? do you really want to watch your every move because of that? Do you really want to produce' to a 'demand and stripped of all your innovation?

And what is fortune? Do you think money is fortune? Being able to buy everything you want without any sense of value?
Having everyone ask you for money because you have it, needing protection from those who want to take it?

I'd rather end up making music in a shack tucked away deep in the mountains with only the birds to pick up the tune than in a studio for cash.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 11:44 AM Reply

the key is to make money while having an image while noone erally knows who you really are and you can walk out in public and nobody knows who you are.

I have all of that except for the first one.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!

BBS Signature
Sirdangolot5
Sirdangolot5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 12:06 PM Reply

What Chronamut is saying is that you should own the record label, not be a recording artist.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 01:10 PM Reply

At 6/30/10 12:06 PM, Sirdangolot5 wrote: What Chronamut is saying is that you should own the record label, not be a recording artist.

yes going indie is the way to go my friend - why let someone else get rich off your expense?

BBS Signature
Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 01:43 PM Reply

At 6/30/10 01:10 PM, Chronamut wrote:
yes going indie is the way to go my friend - why let someone else get rich off your expense?

Only if you want to be fighting for touring and advertising funds your entire life. There is a reason why being an indie musician is both a blessing and a curse. Yes, you do have more say in your music, because you aren't dealing with a super giant label. But on the other hand you make way less money.

You also get far less funds for cutting albums, touring, and advertising. Also most indie labels lack the ability to advertise you to more than the surrounding local. Granted some indie labels are well known to industry professionals, like Park the Van Records. And a few might get invited to important conventions like NAMM. But truthfully, how well known are they by the general public? Not very.

Going indie is the way to go if you want to have to fight your entire career for all the tangible benefits. The intangible benefits outweigh the tangibles for some people though. Things like a wider range of musical expression, less focus on singles and more focus on albums, and generally a more loving and respectful relationship with your label are the main benefits of being an indie musician.

I'd bet nearly every artist/musician/band/etc, when looking at the pure numbers, would gladly leave any indie label they are a part of to join a major label. Because joining a major label = more publicity, thus more fans, leading to more sales, leading to more albums, leading to more tours and performances, which leads to more income.

Truth be told it is really easy for indie musicians to sit and say "indie is the way to go," because they have never had the full experience of being signed to a major label. I'm guessing if you were offered a 7-8 figure annual income based on record sales and two tours a year through the publicity a major label would give you, you would take their deal in a heart beat.

And I love your comment about letting others get rich off of your expense. Truthfully the labels back their musicians MILLIONS of dollars to cut albums, tour, produce music videos, hold conventions, and advertise their products. The reason many music labels are taking bigger cuts nowadays are because artists often default on their contracts.

Labels earn every penny they make off of their artists because their artists would never have the same opportunities without their label. The general public just hates labels because they take legal stands to make people pay for the music that they spend MILLIONS to produce and promote.

Seriously, your comment is just naive man. "OMG THEY GET RICH OFF OF THE ARTISTS!!!! SHAME ON THEM!!!!"

Yea, they do. They also vault many of their artists into fame and help them make mega-millions through supporting their tours and record sales.

Does it work for everyone? No. But to make an analogy, does surgery cure everyone who gets a procedure done? No. But you wouldn't tell someone who needs a tumor removed that they shouldn't get surgery because "OMG THE DOCTORS GET RICH OFF OF YOU!!!!"

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 02:02 PM Reply

guess it all depends on your opinion - i'd rather fight for it myself personally. Money isn't the big drive for me - and it really shouldn't be the main focus for any artist - but yes I suppsoe it was naive of me - no need to jump down people's throats though Gravey.

BBS Signature
SolusLunes
SolusLunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 02:08 PM Reply

At 6/30/10 11:44 AM, Chronamut wrote: the key is to make money while having an image while noone erally knows who you really are and you can walk out in public and nobody knows who you are.

I have all of that except for the first one.

Daft Punk have mastered that.

B0UNC3
B0UNC3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 02:35 PM Reply

At 6/30/10 02:52 AM, DanMasterFlash wrote: Tell me how producing music has changed you in any way.

I was once a silent guy that tried to be nice to everyone, made music for fun and to share it with everyone.

Now I'm pretty much the opposite.

CenterWall | Soundcloud | Facebook | Twitter

Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 02:44 PM Reply

At 6/30/10 02:02 PM, Chronamut wrote: guess it all depends on your opinion - i'd rather fight for it myself personally. Money isn't the big drive for me - and it really shouldn't be the main focus for any artist - but yes I suppsoe it was naive of me - no need to jump down people's throats though Gravey.

My post wasn't intended to jump down your throat, but rather bring awareness to the idea that the idea that major labels just get rich off their artists with no good cause leads to faulty decisions. I've actually seen first hand what can happen when this sort of thinking is actually believed.

I had a couple classes with a guy at OU whose band actually was offered a contract by Kock Records. (I think anyways, it was a few years ago I could be mistaken on which label it was.) After taking a few weeks to decide their future, they came to the conclusion that major labels were just trying to take their money and that they would be better off as an indie band with a smaller label.

To make a long story short his musical dreams went down the toilet because they couldn't get any funding for touring with the indie label they signed with. Their first, and only album, was released to a whopping sales of 1,000 copies in the first week. (Sounds like a lot to people here, but for someone living off of album sales and tours it's not much at all.) And within a year the band had disbanded and at the time he took a job at Kroger's to support himself while at school.

Granted the band made around 70-75% of the profits from the albums they sold. But that amount would have paled in comparison to the 25% they would have made from the much higher record sales had they gone through a major label like Koch Records.

I get the fact that money isn't everything. But if you want to actually make a living with music, which if you consider yourself a serious musician you most likely will, one of the best ways to go about it is to get signed if you are given the opportunity.

I just cringe every time I see someone make comments about how music labels just make a big buck off of their artists. Getting signed is a huge deal, and can bring about immensely positive results. Is it for everyone? No. But at the same time it can't hurt if you are trying to make a living with music.

Once again, I'm not intending to jump down anyone's throats as you said Chron. But at the same time I've seen how this sort of thinking has literally led to the end of a career for a colleague of mine. So it just worries me to see that people might actually make this sort of decision when dealing with a real life situation.

BBS Signature
PERVOK
PERVOK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 02:56 PM Reply

At 6/30/10 02:35 PM, B0UNC3 wrote:
I was once a silent guy that tried to be nice to everyone, made music for fun and to share it with everyone.

Now I'm pretty much the opposite.

I'm still the nice guy, always providing for free.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 03:08 PM Reply

I suppose as long as they don't affect the type of music you are trying to make and you are still free to make whatever you want and you still get enough to make a decent living off of it's ok.

BBS Signature
Zero123Music
Zero123Music
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 03:33 PM Reply

I started- much like Boun3e says.

Then I realised my dream was hopeless and kind of... just stopped. Mid-projects and everything lol

well, I am a lazy guy - and isn't it sad that I check my newgrounds regularly but never post new songs?
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Your popularity through music? Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 03:54 PM Reply

At 6/30/10 03:33 PM, Zero123Music wrote: I started- much like Boun3e says.

Then I realised my dream was hopeless and kind of... just stopped. Mid-projects and everything lol

well, I am a lazy guy - and isn't it sad that I check my newgrounds regularly but never post new songs?

You're not the only one, I don't post anything here anymore either, although I am still working on 3 albums (Yes... 3, one with a friend, one electronic, one metal). Posting here never did me any good anyways, so the only reason I ever upload anything here anymore is to share with friends.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature