New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-06-23 08:38:17 Reply

Hey all! Alright, so after a few months of getting back into shape with Photoshop, making sigs and what not for Newgrounds Sig Makers.. I've decided to create my own art thread. I will mostly be doing digital paintings as this is where I feel I need improvement and it's also where my passion lies. I desire any feedback to help improve my art. Your ideas, suggestions and/or harsh criticism will be taken with arms wide open. After all, without you, how the hell would I know what I'm doing wrong? Also, just a little insight.. A major reason why I'm making this thread is for motivation, as I'm a lazy bastard, so.. I might or might not post excessively with new paintings or sketches, lol. Anyhow...

I drew this for a friend today. It took me about 3 hours, made in PS CS5. One reference used, my friends face while looking at him. (Yes, it was awkward.) It's my rendition of Joker (obviously) with an Assassin's Creed vibe going on with the hoodie from the robe. He doesn't have a name yet... Joltair, perhaps? Hmph.

Ninjar's Power of Expression

My Art :: Want a custom signature? :: PSN: Artagious

BBS Signature
Zombie-Eskimo
Zombie-Eskimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-06-23 08:47:20 Reply

FIRST POST MUTHA FUCKA!!!!!!!!!!!
this looks really good love the texture and color make more plz

Celestica

BBS Signature
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-06-23 09:22:38 Reply

At 6/23/10 08:47 AM, Zombie-Eskimo wrote: FIRST POST MUTHA FUCKA!!!!!!!!!!!
this looks really good love the texture and color make more plz

Haha... you sure are excited about that first post. :P Thanks man. I actually have an idea that I'm writing down now, I'll post a sketch of it later tonight when I get some time.

BBS Signature
y3llow
y3llow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-06-23 09:30:36 Reply

Dude that picture is sick! I assume you use a tablet?
Definately want to see more.

BBS Signature
Charlie
Charlie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-06-23 09:58:47 Reply

At 6/23/10 09:30 AM, y3llow wrote: Dude that picture is sick! I assume you use a tablet?
Definately want to see more.

i have to agree with all of that..
Your a very tallented human.
good job. and good luck :D

XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-06-23 12:21:20 Reply

Ninjar

That is really deep in texture, the close up shot is so fantastic and just shows a great close emotion shot you can really see the awsome detail.

Very nice work indeed. keep up the awsome work

~X~

~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-06-23 12:28:30 Reply

I really like this. I'd like to start doing work in Photoshop like this myself, but I don't feel I know how at the moment.

Limited
Limited
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Writer
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-06-23 16:18:43 Reply

Nice one Ninjar, it's great.

Did you use a tablet? I've always wondered if I could do something without a tablet and felt it wouldn't really be possible; I don't really have the money to invest in a tablet I might not use that often.

BBS Signature
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-06-23 20:43:08 Reply

Thank you all for the positive feedback! Yes, I do use a tablet. It's a Wacom Intuos 3 (6x8), fairly old but just like new because I haven't really used it that much.

At 6/23/10 12:28 PM, Makeshift wrote: I really like this. I'd like to start doing work in Photoshop like this myself, but I don't feel I know how at the moment.

I suggest you try searching for some painting tutorials, there's an abundant amount of resources out there that'll teach you how to paint in Photoshop. A lot of helpful ones reside within DeviantART, it's well worth reading up on! If it weren't for those tutorials, I'd probably be stuck too. All you need are basics.

At 6/23/10 04:18 PM, Limited wrote: Did you use a tablet? I've always wondered if I could do something without a tablet and felt it wouldn't really be possible; I don't really have the money to invest in a tablet I might not use that often.

Believe me, I've been in the same situation you have. I actually lucked out as I got my tablet as a present, otherwise I still probably wouldn't have one. Anyhow.. it is possible to create something digitally using a mouse, maybe not as GOOD in comparison to using a tablet. Using a mouse is 10x more a pain in the ass than using a tablet, so if you're going to create something digitally like what I made, it'll take soooo much patience and even still it's very aggravating, especially if you're going to make it very detailed. The picture I have below is a couple years old, I made it entirely with a mouse (except for the initials, I just put that in now lol). When it comes to using a mouse, scattering can become your best friend!

BBS Signature
gmanthesandwhichking
gmanthesandwhichking
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-06-24 03:29:06 Reply

Great stuff in this thread, great stuff. I expect to see more from you. I mean, even your sig looks awesome!

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-07-06 22:16:49 Reply

At 6/24/10 03:29 AM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote: Great stuff in this thread, great stuff. I expect to see more from you. I mean, even your sig looks awesome!

Thanks man! I drew my sig myself too. I made it as a request for XwaynecoltX for a sig, but I loved it so much myself I had to use it too lol. Anywho, I'm working on hatching an egg for the "Gotta Hatch Em All Collab", it's my first egg but I plan on doing some more in the future. Here is a WIP of it.. any ideas or suggestions on what to or change around? The dragon hasn't really been touched yet.

BBS Signature
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-07-08 04:59:23 Reply

Speed painting.. took about 30 minutes. Made it for borntodj167 because he requested a header with a piano in it. No references used.Full version here.

BBS Signature
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-07-08 08:19:21 Reply

I'm bored out of my mind.. did another speed drawing, minimal planning and just added as I went along..

BBS Signature
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-07-23 21:51:06 Reply

Drew this for the NGSM's SOTW 12 starter pic... possibly the longest time spent on just a starter pic. It was fun though.

BBS Signature
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-07-23 21:54:31 Reply

I made this a little big ago.. was bored and felt like working with water. This is probably the first time that I've drawn water in mass amounts. The boat looks weird to me.. full version here.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Voice Actor
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-07-23 22:12:15 Reply

At 7/23/10 09:54 PM, Ninjar wrote: I made this a little big ago.. was bored and felt like working with water. This is probably the first time that I've drawn water in mass amounts. The boat looks weird to me.. full version here.

Wow, it's very peaceful and serene. The boat may look off due to the fact that it just seems to merge into the water. The hull needs to stand out a bit more.

Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-07-24 01:07:09 Reply

At 7/23/10 10:12 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 7/23/10 09:54 PM, Ninjar wrote: I made this a little big ago.. was bored and felt like working with water. This is probably the first time that I've drawn water in mass amounts. The boat looks weird to me.. full version here.
Wow, it's very peaceful and serene. The boat may look off due to the fact that it just seems to merge into the water. The hull needs to stand out a bit more.

I knew something was off but I couldn't place it in my head. You're right though, it wasn't standing out enough. Also, I completely forgot to add a reflection for the boat and probably wouldn't of noticed that if it weren't for you pointing out the hull lol. Thanks for the critique! Fixed it here..

BBS Signature
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-08-24 22:35:31 Reply

Wow.. I haven't posted in here in awhile lol. I was inspired today when I saw Chronamut's "Cosmic Icestream" and decided to try out the program he used, Apophysis. It's quite a badass little program. I made this using 3 different fractal pictures, loaded them up in Photoshop then had my way with them. The Hi-res version isn't that big in resolution, but my future fractal pieces will be. ;)

BBS Signature
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-08-27 08:04:24 Reply

I did some major experimenting with this wallpaper (1600x1200).. it took a long time to finish. I used a reference for the shark to get the anatomy down. Portal Hi-Res. What do you guys think? Any criticism would be appreciated. :)

BBS Signature
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-08-28 21:08:14 Reply

I thought I'd share this with you all. It's my very first digital painting using a tablet that I did a couple years ago. I'm quite proud of this piece. :)

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-08-28 21:11:06 Reply

At 8/28/10 09:08 PM, Ninjar wrote: I thought I'd share this with you all. It's my very first digital painting using a tablet that I did a couple years ago. I'm quite proud of this piece. :)

i'd be too. awesome for first time D:

perhaps more recent work now? :P
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-09-14 22:39:41 Reply

At 8/28/10 09:11 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote: i'd be too. awesome for first time D:
perhaps more recent work now? :P

lol thanks.. here's a recent one done today, for some reason I had a crazy idea that it'd be hard to hold onto balloons if your hands were wrenches, that's how this picture came about. High Quality

BBS Signature
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-09-15 10:23:00 Reply

She'll have a sword, tight clothing and excessive blood all over her body. Ideas would be cool. I'll probably change the background, not too sure if it'll fit in for the end result.

wip wip

BBS Signature
Ninjar
Ninjar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ninjar's Power of Expression 2010-09-15 12:24:35 Reply

At 9/15/10 10:57 AM, threadwood wrote: the first one is the most promising, although the nose needs more depth- it looks very shallow on the face. not sure what to say about the rest...very inconsistent. a lot of textures and cut & paste looking stuff that i don't quite understand.
i'd keep working on things like your first post, if digital painting is what you're looking to master.

Yeah the nose is a bit off, it could use some more shading, but I didn't bother to fix it. My stuff may seem inconsistent because I'm always experimenting different techniques so it doesn't always follow the exact code of digital painting, if there is one. It is however painting none-the-less. Most of the textures come from the brushes themselves, I rarely use stock photo textures. I'm not exactly going for photorealism either, as I'm not nearly that talented yet, so I try to just find my own style and go with the flow. Anywho.. I'm not too sure what you're talking about when it comes to cutting and pasting and it would help if you could elaborate a little bit so I can grasp an understanding of what you're not understanding. Maybe a tip or two as well? :P

BBS Signature