New Topic Respond to this Topic
dragon-teenager
dragon-teenager
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Good pair of headphones? Jun. 19th, 2010 @ 01:34 PM Reply

Hey, could anyone recommend a good pair of headphones for mixing/mastering music?

Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 19th, 2010 @ 01:38 PM Reply

At 6/19/10 01:34 PM, dragon-teenager wrote: Hey, could anyone recommend a good pair of headphones for mixing/mastering music?

You should use the search engine at the bottom of the screen. This has been discussed at great length many many many times.

But to be nice, here is what I use.

Grado SR80i

Used to be an industry standard, and are still very popular. Has a wonderful tone and nice representation of the audio spectrum for the price.

BBS Signature
KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 19th, 2010 @ 01:40 PM Reply

At 6/19/10 01:34 PM, dragon-teenager wrote: Hey, could anyone recommend a good pair of headphones for mixing/mastering music?

You can't really go wrong with Sennheisers, I use the HD280 Pro.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

KrisSumara
KrisSumara
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 19th, 2010 @ 02:24 PM Reply

I use Senheissers HD 428, quite clean and leveled out sound.

BBS Signature
DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 19th, 2010 @ 02:48 PM Reply

Any headphones can be used to mix and master. My newest songs were mixed with ipod headphones and sound better than some of my friends who have Grado RS1's. As long as you know what your doing when it comes to mixing and mastering you will be fine.

I Am L3O, I Am the only Me there is Nobody Else
L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

J-N-R
J-N-R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 19th, 2010 @ 03:41 PM Reply

You can't really ask that question. Headphones vary from $10 - $600.

I'd just get a pair around 30 - 60 dollars. Make sure they are not in-ear phones or ear-phones. Must be large headphones if you want a bass'y sound.

Contact me if you would like reviews on your music! (or Collabs)

Join The Audio Portal for another place to post music

BBS Signature
Steven-Polley
Steven-Polley
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 19th, 2010 @ 04:28 PM Reply

At 6/19/10 03:41 PM, J-N-R wrote: You can't really ask that question. Headphones vary from $10 - $600.

What have you been smoking? Headphones can be more than double that range.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD800-P remier-Headphone/dp/B001OTZ8DA

Want a cool TF2-based and Minecraft gaming forum? Check us out WDZClan.com
We're the largest pub TF2 community on Steam!
Also, check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature
SonicJ
SonicJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 19th, 2010 @ 04:40 PM Reply

Any as long as they aren't the ones that go in ear or the very cheap flimsy $5 kind.

Audio portal reviews : A detailed discussion and study
Leave a random artist a constructive review. You never know how that could help.

BBS Signature
GronmonSE
GronmonSE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 19th, 2010 @ 10:33 PM Reply

At 6/19/10 04:28 PM, Steven-Polley wrote:
At 6/19/10 03:41 PM, J-N-R wrote: You can't really ask that question. Headphones vary from $10 - $600.

Some can be as high as 5-figures.

Grados, Shure, Sennheisers, and AKG are just a few of well-known companies that make quality headphones that are worth the money. Stay away from Bose (overpriced) or anything gimmicky (Skullcandy, or god-forbid Monster Beats). You want a pair that are pretty neutral in sound, not bass-boosted or whatever.

$100 can get you a real decent pair, but there are some $60 headphones that'll do the job just fine. Look around online or on NG, this has been discussed a billion times before.

Happy shopping.

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 19th, 2010 @ 11:03 PM Reply

Sony MDR-V6

I did some searching for cheap but still fairly well reviewed headphones and it usually came up with HD200s and the Sony ones. I had price in mind and I think I got them for about 50 dollars somewhere, or maybe it was 60 all I know is they were a tad cheaper then the HD200s. None the less I'm happy with them and you'll find minor differences in comfort and sound but overall the function of the headphones will be better then that of standard earbuds or listening headphones.

djInTheDark
djInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 20th, 2010 @ 02:35 AM Reply

At 6/19/10 11:03 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: Sony MDR-V6

I have to agree here. I love sen's, but only because they perfect whatever sound goes though them. I have the V5's because rather than making something your hearing sound perfect automatically, they simple give you want it would naturally sound like (so then you will actually be able to tell if there's a problem).

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.
Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature
J-N-R
J-N-R
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 20th, 2010 @ 02:55 PM Reply

At 6/19/10 04:28 PM, Steven-Polley wrote:

Pft. I know, but it is not like he is spending anywhere near that much. My uncle owns a small studio for recording bands and he has headphones there for like 2,000.

Contact me if you would like reviews on your music! (or Collabs)

Join The Audio Portal for another place to post music

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 20th, 2010 @ 04:12 PM Reply

It's hard to suggest a product without a budget, so that's something you should mention before we can really help you. And help is something you will need since based on your simplicity of this thread I'm guessing you wont do much personal research.

At 6/19/10 02:48 PM, DJRAV3N wrote: Any headphones can be used to mix and master. My newest songs were mixed with ipod headphones and sound better than some of my friends who have Grado RS1's. As long as you know what your doing when it comes to mixing and mastering you will be fine.

To anyone reading this guys post, I beg you not to believe it what so ever as it is a completely ignorant statement. (See below)

There is a VERY good reason for having a particular set of headphones over another. For mixing/mastering particularly you are looking for accuracy, or in other words, as flat of a frequency response as possible. Most headphones that are not designed specifically for these type of applications tend to have an unbalanced response in order to either save money or make them more aurally pleasing.

A mixing or mastering engineers job is to be precise, not to think some shit sounds cool on his ipod.

Achronai
Achronai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 20th, 2010 @ 04:22 PM Reply

I recommend Sony headphones, including bass boost.
they're about $70(ca) the ones I got but for that price the quality
is shall we say impressive, also i'd recommend Sennheiser,
good brand just a tad pricy ^_^

-Dave-
...FC...

Good pair of headphones?

GronmonSE
GronmonSE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 20th, 2010 @ 04:41 PM Reply

At 6/20/10 04:22 PM, Achronai wrote: I recommend Sony headphones, including bass boost.
they're about $70(ca) the ones I got but for that price the quality
is shall we say impressive, also i'd recommend Sennheiser,
good brand just a tad pricy ^_^

-Dave-
...FC...

No, no, no. Buying headphones with boosted bass is counter-productive when you want headphones for producing. As previously mentioned, you're looking for headphones that have flat, honest frequencies. Sennheisers aren't really that pricey, they're worth every penny.

If you're looking for something cheap, at least get some Sennheiser HD202.

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 20th, 2010 @ 05:26 PM Reply

Ive found that low-priced headphones works the best for me, they are horrible quality and they have a really short lifespan, i find this to help me master/mix since if i can make my song sound fairly decent on that set, it sounds much better on my higher-priced headphones.

But thats just personal preference.

BBS Signature
DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 21st, 2010 @ 01:20 PM Reply

To anyone reading this guys post, I beg you not to believe it what so ever as it is a completely ignorant statement. (See below)

Really? How come your mixes are terrible?

L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

dragon-teenager
dragon-teenager
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 21st, 2010 @ 02:00 PM Reply

My, people sure do get feisty when it comes to headphones.

My price range is about $50-100 bucks, so I think I'll do some searching on Ebay. I appreciate the feedback guys!

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 21st, 2010 @ 02:46 PM Reply

At 6/21/10 01:20 PM, DJRAV3N wrote:
Really? How come your mixes are terrible?

Is that supposed to be a point? Because it's not.

When you want to know if boosting a 5th harmonic in a high synth would successfully brighten the tone in a particular way and your headphones play that frequency range 2dB louder then the tonic your opinion is going to be skewed towards accuracy and you will likely feel that you achieve the sound with a smaller boost, and come out with a duller timbre.

With Equalization, compression, and pretty much any type of dynamic processing tools, you need to be sure that what you are hearing at one frequency is the same response as another in order to adjust settings properly and come out with the best mix possible.

If you don't understand that then please do some research before trying to flame someone who clearly is just trying to help the OP with actual information, not ignorant opinion.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 21st, 2010 @ 02:53 PM Reply

At 6/21/10 02:00 PM, dragon-teenager wrote: My, people sure do get feisty when it comes to headphones.

We sure do!

My price range is about $50-100 bucks, so I think I'll do some searching on Ebay. I appreciate the feedback guys!

For that price range my suggestion is the HD280 Pro which I believe has already been mentioned.
Wonderfully accurate headphones, not the best if you have a really large head though as they can be a bit tight around the ears.

Egocentric
Egocentric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 21st, 2010 @ 03:13 PM Reply

You should get the Creative Aurvana headphones they are just perfect.

DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 21st, 2010 @ 04:31 PM Reply

If you don't understand that then please do some research before trying to flame someone who clearly is just trying to help the OP with actual information, not ignorant opinion.

Everything you said is music production 101, basic common sense and again like I said before headphones don't matter, I can mix and master on any headphones... Please quit making post with very little knowledge, it makes you look "ignorant". Sense you believe that headphones are the key to a great mix than swallow your words and buy some decent headphones and see where it gets you... The true key to a successful mix is knowing how to do it properly which you have yet to learn, obviously... Headphones will only get you so far.

L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

dragon-teenager
dragon-teenager
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 21st, 2010 @ 11:42 PM Reply

At 6/21/10 02:53 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote:
At 6/21/10 02:00 PM, dragon-teenager wrote: My, people sure do get feisty when it comes to headphones.
We sure do!

For that price range my suggestion is the HD280 Pro which I believe has already been mentioned.
Wonderfully accurate headphones, not the best if you have a really large head though as they can be a bit tight around the ears.

Lol, that might actually be a problem for me as I have a very large head, I can't even fit into most hats.

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 08:02 AM Reply

Even cheap sennheisers are great headphones.
I have 40 bucks sennheisers (thats alot of money for me so i cant get better but that aside)
And i only have to buy new ones once a 5 months or so before the thing emitts chunky sound.
But before it wears down it has perfect sound.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 11:35 AM Reply

At 6/21/10 04:31 PM, DJRAV3N wrote: Sense you believe that headphones are the key to a great mix

Please stop, you are now twisting words. The discussion is not about what makes a good mix.

The true key to a successful mix is knowing how to do it properly which you have yet to learn, obviously... Headphones will only get you so far.

I AGREE, BUT THIS IS NOT THE TOPIC, THE TOPIC IS THE BEST HEADPHONES FOR MIXING AND WHY THEY ARE SO, NOT HOW TO MAKE THE BEST MIX. YOU ARE ARGUING ABOUT THE WRONG THING.

In other words, shut up, you are being pointless, and you are wrong about headphones. You find a single studio mixing engineer to agree with you and I'll shut my mouth. For now I'll take it from the PhD's in audio who spent their life devoted to it that accuracy in playback is important.

I am now done with you, and I pity you.

DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 12:01 PM Reply

At 6/22/10 11:35 AM, LogicalDefiance wrote:
At 6/21/10 04:31 PM, DJRAV3N wrote: Sense you believe that headphones are the key to a great mix
Please stop, you are now twisting words. The discussion is not about what makes a good mix.

The true key to a successful mix is knowing how to do it properly which you have yet to learn, obviously... Headphones will only get you so far.
I AGREE, BUT THIS IS NOT THE TOPIC, THE TOPIC IS THE BEST HEADPHONES FOR MIXING AND WHY THEY ARE SO, NOT HOW TO MAKE THE BEST MIX. YOU ARE ARGUING ABOUT THE WRONG THING.

In other words, shut up, you are being pointless, and you are wrong about headphones. You find a single studio mixing engineer to agree with you and I'll shut my mouth. For now I'll take it from the PhD's in audio who spent their life devoted to it that accuracy in playback is important.

I am now done with you, and I pity you.

Actually he is getting headphones for mixing and mastering... he stated it in his post. I can find tons of studio engineers and Professional Producer's on My msn list who will agree with me... So swallow your words.

L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

Trancik
Trancik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 12:44 PM Reply

Get the razer carcharias

BBS Signature
joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 01:33 PM Reply

Creative HQ1400, just the best.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 01:42 PM Reply

At 6/22/10 11:35 AM, LogicalDefiance wrote: THE TOPIC IS THE BEST HEADPHONES FOR MIXING
At 6/22/10 12:01 PM, DJRAV3N wrote: Actually he is getting headphones for mixing

...?

Rabid-Animals
Rabid-Animals
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Animator
Response to Good pair of headphones? Jun. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:43 PM Reply

I've had great experiences with a lot of different models from the Sennheiser brand. They run from $40-$600 on Amazon, and you really get what you pay for.

BBS Signature