New Topic Respond to this Topic
Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Requiem For A Dream Jun. 14th, 2010 @ 03:29 AM Reply

At 6/14/10 03:21 AM, Head-Full-Of-Acid wrote: If you're lookin for drug films, I'd say:

Donnie Darko

...What?

This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature
Head-Full-Of-Acid
Head-Full-Of-Acid
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Musician
Response to Requiem For A Dream Jun. 14th, 2010 @ 03:44 AM Reply

At 6/14/10 03:21 AM, Head-Full-Of-Acid wrote:
If you're lookin for films, I'd say:

Amores Perros
Traffic
A Scanner Darkly
Magnolia
Donnie Darko
American Beauty
Party Monster
Cidade de Deus

fix'd..i was lumping a bunch of movies together even though most of the films above are drug films.

Request a review ]                                                                            sea otters hold hands in their sleep so they don't drift away from each other

BBS Signature
Shao-Kahn
Shao-Kahn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to Requiem For A Dream Jun. 14th, 2010 @ 03:44 AM Reply

Great freakin' flick. If you dont like this movie check your pulse you dead sons a bitches!

I win. Flawless victory.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Requiem For A Dream Jun. 14th, 2010 @ 10:26 AM Reply

At 6/14/10 03:21 AM, Head-Full-Of-Acid wrote: If you're lookin for drug films, I'd say:

Magnolia
Donnie Darko

I can't remember these two having to do much with drugs. I know Donnie Darko took some medicine, but it's not really the main issue of the movie. In Magnolia I can't remember anything with drugs at all.

If you really want a trippy drugs movie, go and watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
whatty
whatty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Requiem For A Dream Jun. 14th, 2010 @ 10:27 AM Reply

You will love Spun if you like Requiem. The main difference is when you watch this it feels like you're on Crystal Meth, Instead of Heroin.

Weak Men are Hard on Others while Strong Men are Hard on Themselves.

BBS Signature
whatty
whatty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Requiem For A Dream Jun. 14th, 2010 @ 10:29 AM Reply

At 6/14/10 03:21 AM, Head-Full-Of-Acid wrote:
If you're lookin for drug films, I'd say:

Amores Perros
Traffic
A Scanner Darkly
Magnolia
Donnie Darko
American Beauty
Party Monster
Cidade de Deus

Trainspotting is a great choice; it's dramatic, but not as over-bearing. If you're looking for gritty drug films, it's gonna be hard to match Requiem for a Dream.

What has Donnie Darko got to do with Drugs? I mean, American Beauty hasn't really anything to do with drugs, well, the facat he smokes weed is there but it ahs nothing to do with the plot... or Pot.

Weak Men are Hard on Others while Strong Men are Hard on Themselves.

BBS Signature
WaterShake
WaterShake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to Requiem For A Dream Jun. 14th, 2010 @ 10:44 AM Reply

Hmm, I don't think i've ever heard anyone say that they "loved" RFD before. I dunno, just seems somewhat inappropriate for such a heartbreaking film.

If your looking for more films that deal with drug addiction then I think you'll be disappointed. I think RFD has been the best portrayal to date.

If your looking for films of a similar tone then I would recommend Before The Devil Knows Your Dead. It's about a jewellery store heist that goes wrong and the consequences. Absolutely phenomenal film. I'm actually planning on watching it again at some point today.

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Requiem For A Dream Jun. 14th, 2010 @ 10:51 AM Reply

The director is a favorite of mine and has done a few other movies, Pi (which is apparently somewhat similar) and The Wrestler (which is fucking awesome!).

Also a quick tip. If I buy and like a film I generally go to Amazon and check out the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section which generally produces good results. Had a quick scan and I'd recommend Fight Club, Memento, American Beauty, Thirteen, The Basketball Diaries, Seven and The Machinist, all of which I've seen and all of which are equally as good if not better.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
MrCongeniality
MrCongeniality
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Requiem For A Dream Jul. 30th, 2010 @ 05:51 PM Reply

I recently saw this movie...and it is one of the best films I have probably ever seen. It is also the most disturbing and most uncomfortable movie I have had to sit through. The "Saw" movies and "Saving Private Ryan" don't even compare. Those movies are about physical violence, but nothing is more disturbing to me than psychological violence. The way the psychological terror of all of the characters go through in the film and where they ultimately end up is what makes "Requiem for a Dream" so disturbing. I'm also glad that Aronofsky evaded the "Hollywood Ending" here, and went for a unique and realistic one, and didn't dumb it down a bit. The musical score of the film is also one of the best parts of the film.

I also want to add that Ellen Burstyn was fucking snubbed of that Oscar. Her performance was masterful and devastating, and I don't think I've seen a performance like that on film...ever...from what I can recall. Here's the scene that stands out the most. If you notice during the scene, the camera is kind of off a bit when focusing on Burstyn. If you listen to the commentary track on the DVD, the person who was shooting Burstyn couldn't keep the camera on her correctly because he had fogged up the lens to look through because he was so moved by her performance.

At 6/14/10 01:03 AM, bgraybr wrote: I just read the WIkipedia entry for the movie and it sounds extremely depressing.

It's thatand more.

At 6/14/10 12:52 AM, kikomannnn wrote: It's one giant miserable clusterfuck where nothing is resolved.

That is the film's intention (to be a clusterfuck), and the fact that nothing is resolved is reality.

Nothing is gained from viewing it.

HIGHLY disagreed. It will make you think twice about doing something bad that is habit or addiction forming.

It really is a movie you see one time just to say you saw it, people hype it up way too much.

It may be a movie that some people only see once because there is no replay value, because it is so disturbing. But the replay value to me is so high, because it serves as a reminder. I believe it is worthy of all of the hype it has received.

I agree with Hemlock when he says the ending is very powerful. If you notice, all 4 characters at the end of the film assume a fetal position in their final shots of reality.

At 6/14/10 10:44 AM, WaterShake wrote: Hmm, I don't think i've ever heard anyone say that they "loved" RFD before. I dunno, just seems somewhat inappropriate for such a heartbreaking film.

I loved it, because it was one of most unique and defining cinematic experiences I have ever had. That and all of the elements in the film are perfectly placed, even though it is a clusterfuck (once again, that is the point).

If your looking for more films that deal with drug addiction then I think you'll be disappointed. I think RFD has been the best portrayal to date.

And it probably will be for a very long time.

Twitter / Tumblr / < - Mr. C (Since June 7th, 2001)

BBS Signature