Be a Supporter!
Elsid
Elsid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 09:27 AM Reply

Hai, i've been looking for unmetred kind wierd but interesting music on the portal, but haven't found anything I like yet.

Anyone happen to know any (by unmetred I mean no time signiture or clear rhythms-if any)?

SessileNomad
SessileNomad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 09:53 AM Reply

i dont think its possible to have unmetered music, at least its nothing ive ever heard of before

ive heard of mixed meter, fractional meters, and compound meters, but nothing purely lacking meter

either way

• SN/ Spirits of the Fifth Floor
    SN/ Spirits of the Fifth Floor by SessileNomad

Click to listen.

Score
    4.28 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Miscellaneous
    Popularity

thats in 5/4

Elsid
Elsid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 10:03 AM Reply

At 6/11/10 09:53 AM, SessileNomad wrote: i dont think its possible to have unmetered music, at least its nothing ive ever heard of before

I'm pretty sure you can, or at least so it would sound unmetred to anyone that heard it. It doesn't have to actually be like music, I'm looking for a wierd soundscape type thing (the kind of stuff in David Lynch films). That peice you gave me is good, but I think its still a tincy bit too metred and not quite wierd enough.

If I had a working midi keyboard I'd be making it myself :< (its for a flash movie)

djInTheDark
djInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 10:23 AM Reply

This guy, but thats because he's new.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.
Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature
Elsid
Elsid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 10:27 AM Reply

At 6/11/10 10:23 AM, djInTheDark wrote: This guy, but thats because he's new.

Pretty damn good (in terms of what i'm looking for), but a too grim a feel for the flash.

However I'll seriously consider it if I can't find anything else.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 10:34 AM Reply

• SR - Fields
    SR - Fields by SineRider

Click to listen.

Score
    4.09 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Ambient
    Popularity
  • SR - Granulation
    SR - Granulation by SineRider

Click to listen.

Score
    3.51 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Ambient
    Popularity

Made these two a little while back

CosmicAlfonzo
CosmicAlfonzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 11:22 AM Reply

This might be what you are looking for. It doesn't have a meter, and is very atmospheric. With the exception of the synthesizer piano in the background, the instruments are unorthodox. Just the objects around me that were able to make sound. hah

• Sundenhosen
    Sundenhosen by CosmicAlfonzo

Click to listen.

Score
    3.85 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity

Elsid
Elsid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 11:29 AM Reply

Thanks for all your ideas, I think I have found something that fits it now (the stuff here didn't quite suite it) but it's handy to know these tracks anyway. ty :D

str0b
str0b
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 02:08 PM Reply

At 6/11/10 09:53 AM, SessileNomad wrote: i dont think its possible to have unmetered music, at least its nothing ive ever heard of before

ive heard of mixed meter, fractional meters, and compound meters, but nothing purely lacking meter

either way
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 89867
thats in 5/4

5/4 is a meter. Brilliant.

If you're into unmetered music, you're probably only going to find it in the music of the french composer Olivier Messiaen, and in the works of similar composers.

SessileNomad
SessileNomad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 02:55 PM Reply

At 6/11/10 02:08 PM, str0b wrote:

either way
thats in 5/4

when you arrange sound(aka make music), you're arranging four things: pitch, volume, timbre, and DURATION

you cant arrange duration and then NOT have a system of measuring said duration, same with arranging volume and then having no way of measuring the volume, it cant happen

unmetered music doesnt exist, even if the composer arbitrarily writes something he believes to have no meter, so when OP asks for unmetered music, the best anyone can do is give him music that doesnt use common meters, such as 5/4

"From his earliest works, Messiaen used non-retrogradable (palindromic) rhythms"

brilliant

"Messiaen also made use of "additive" rhythms. This involves lengthening individual notes slightly or interpolating a short note into an otherwise regular rhythm"

brilliant

str0b
str0b
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 03:46 PM Reply

At 6/11/10 02:55 PM, SessileNomad wrote:
At 6/11/10 02:08 PM, str0b wrote:

either way
thats in 5/4
when you arrange sound(aka make music), you're arranging four things: pitch, volume, timbre, and DURATION

you cant arrange duration and then NOT have a system of measuring said duration, same with arranging volume and then having no way of measuring the volume, it cant happen

unmetered music doesnt exist, even if the composer arbitrarily writes something he believes to have no meter, so when OP asks for unmetered music, the best anyone can do is give him music that doesnt use common meters, such as 5/4

"From his earliest works, Messiaen used non-retrogradable (palindromic) rhythms"

brilliant

"Messiaen also made use of "additive" rhythms. This involves lengthening individual notes slightly or interpolating a short note into an otherwise regular rhythm"

brilliant

Wow. Impressive. You can access wikipedia. Congratulations. You practically know what you're talking about.

Excerpt from "The Lives of the Great Composers", the authoritative broad resource on the biographies and works of art-music composers. This is what Messiaen himself stated.

I totally despise even beats. And even tempos. I not only hate military music, I also detest jazz because it depends on even beats. My music depends on uneven beats as in nature, In nature rippling water is uneven, wavering tree branches are uneven, the movement of clouds is uneven.

You confuse the meanings of meter and rhythm. Meter is a constant ticking of time through with music passes, always adhering to a tempo. Messiaen's music, if you had ever heard it, is not metrical, though it is rhythmic.

Another example that I more than invite you to challenge me with would be Stockhausen. What does wikipedia have to say about him, I wonder? Or what of John Cage?

Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 08:49 PM Reply

At 6/11/10 03:46 PM, str0b wrote:
Wow. Impressive. You can access wikipedia. Congratulations. You practically know what you're talking about.

Hey str0b, stop being a cumbucket. Sessile was only trying to help the OP.

BBS Signature
str0b
str0b
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 6/11/10 08:49 PM, Gravey wrote:

Pardon me sir, I wasn't aware that correcting people's fallacious statements was a crime.

I'm very, very terribly sorry.

str0b
str0b
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 09:27 PM Reply

At 6/11/10 09:20 PM, str0b wrote:
At 6/11/10 08:49 PM, Gravey wrote:
Pardon me sir, I wasn't aware that correcting people's fallacious statements was a crime.

And in relation to the OP's request for music, My suggestion would be Olivier Messiaen's "Quauor pour la fin du temps". The second movement, "Vocalise..." would be a good example of non-metrical music. And it is, most certainly, what many would consider weird. But since it's also very programatic music, and it's about the end of the world, and considering the fact that it was written from within a WWI POW camp, I'd consider its sound to be very fitting to the circumstances in which it was composed.

The odd orchestration of piano, clarinet, violin, and cello, is because those were the only 4 instruments available in the entire camp.

I am sorry for the double post, that part isn't even sarcasm.

Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 09:39 PM Reply

It's not the correcting that's the issue. It's the attitude behind it, and your tone. Just a little advice, being a dick to regulars the first time you post is not a good way to gain respect as a member of the community. And by alienating people with the way you are being a jerk, you are going to make things hard on yourself in the long run.

Once again, it's not the correcting that's an issue. It's the attitude and tone of what you are saying.

BBS Signature
str0b
str0b
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 11th, 2010 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 6/11/10 09:39 PM, Gravey wrote:

It's not the correcting that's the issue. It's the attitude behind it, and your tone. Just a little advice, being a dick to regulars the first time you post is not a good way to gain respect as a member of the community. And by alienating people with the way you are being a jerk, you are going to make things hard on yourself in the long run.

Once again, it's not the correcting that's an issue. It's the attitude and tone of what you are saying.

It's not the first time I've posted. I'm MJTTOMB, posting under a different account. I respect regulars as much as they can show me they deserve my respect.

Also, please don't tell me about tone and then proceed to give me a "little advice".

meneldil
meneldil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 12th, 2010 @ 08:15 AM Reply

At 6/11/10 03:46 PM, str0b wrote: Wow. Impressive. You can access wikipedia. Congratulations. You practically know what you're talking about.

You don't need an ad hominem here if you have arguments for the discussion.

Indescriptive topic names have left me in despair!

Psil0
Psil0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 12th, 2010 @ 12:04 PM Reply

Honestly, I don't see much of a point writing non-meter based music. For most people trying to do it, it'd turn out to be nothing more than chaotic noise. Very few exceptions exist and they are exceptions. Meter is what gives a song stability and helps provide direction. It'd be very counterproductive to the writing process if someone wrote without meter, as it would be difficult to maintain a tempo.

poopr1221
poopr1221
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Unmetred music Jun. 12th, 2010 @ 11:39 PM Reply

Recently, I've been making a BUNCH of unmetered modular patches in Bidule. I'm really getting into the stuff. It's so fascinating what you can do with such little signal.

Here's an example of something I made. It's 11 minutes of weird eerie noise with a feedback delay and some other effects. If you have the time, listen through the entire thing. It evolves, and really picks up toward the end. If you have something like Quicktime, you can stream this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7125010/Weird%20 feedback%20noise.wav