00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Guitarists

627,434 Views | 13,330 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Guitarists 2013-07-26 17:48:47

At 1/15/13 10:05 AM, DivoFST wrote:
At 1/15/13 12:48 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 1/14/13 07:05 PM, DivoFST wrote:
At 7/7/12 02:17 PM, saqwert wrote: How many of you people learned guitar from scratch on your own?
I did...but i suck compared with people that had professors :(
I tried taking lessons once, but I ended up getting a teacher that was actually worse than I was... So the lessons didn't last very long, and I just continued teaching myself instead.
LOL..well that's not nice at all, maybe he paid you instead of getting paid in the end of each lesson xD
I started with a hunger to learn a lot of things but it sorta disappeared with time and now im just happy to know what i know.
I know enough to keep me going and i let feeling do a lot more than knowledge when i pick my guitar the only problem is when i hear my "teacher educated" guitar buddies talk and play...it discourages me like hell.
Oh also playing guitar without any teacher for 3 years messed my finger positions on the fretboard and my pinky looks hadicaped when i use him to play solos xD

I know the feeling. I've been playing altogether now for 3 years years, and I've been playing on and off since. It started out in the late days July I'd practice and learn approx. 6-8 hours a day because I had such a strong passion. After three weeks, I met a friend at my summer trailer park who played for years, and he knew more technically. He was a blessing to have as a tutor for at the time I was playing simple pieces of work like; "Day Tripper", "Highway To Hell", "Purple Haze", and various others.

He said I was good for have only been playing for three weeks but three years later where am I?

My first major break from playing was 6 months. I still retained muscle memory because I had played once or twice in that time. I continued playing guitar the following 7 months, about 4 or 5 days a week, lasting as long as 3 hour sessions. Then I had another break in my guitar playing, for 8 months, and I had surely lost my chops by that point I thought. However, I only seemed to have lost my calluses and finger strength. My lastest jammer friends also had seemed to have gotten me into absorbed into the utter elegance of heavy metal, creating a unique vocabulary of songs for myself on guitar.

Now I've got a cumulative arsenal of licks and songs along with fretboard knowledge, chord theory, and scales. My advice is to practice every day, even if it for 5 minutes. It's better than practicing for an hour a week, as your brain's neurons remember and record their functions every time you sleep so practicing once a week would inhibit the memory of your guitar playing knowledge base, and you wouldn't want that, would you?

My advice: Practice everyday. I'm no Jimi Hendrix when it comes to guitar but you won't appreciate a virtuoso telling you that later on in your career. Instead, be the virtuoso who advises others.

Neo Classical Shredder

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-07-27 18:26:55

So now I'm doing the ultimo challenge.

Arranging Bach's The art of Fugue for solo guitar.

At least one of his fugues for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrb0dHKJBR4

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-08-06 22:55:01

At 6/3/13 09:32 AM, positively-negative wrote: So, this afternoon I was cleaning out my wardrobe and found one of my guitars. I played it, I'm still pretty shit at it.

It's been a while hasn't it.

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

-Ambrose Bierce

"This sig, is fucking cool."

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-08-07 10:43:38

At 8/6/13 10:55 PM, ChocloMan wrote:
At 6/3/13 09:32 AM, positively-negative wrote: So, this afternoon I was cleaning out my wardrobe and found one of my guitars. I played it, I'm still pretty shit at it.
It's been a while hasn't it.

Quite a while indeed...

Response to Guitarists 2013-12-10 19:49:37

I got a new guitar since the last time I posted here.
It's an old Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty.
It's in okay condition. It's a bit scuffed up here and there and could use a cleaning. But other than that it works beautifully.
Weighs more than any other guitar I have but I still find it really light weight.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-12-13 20:16:55

Well I finally finished a prelude and fugue by bach. Feels good bro.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-12-21 15:39:23

Bought some new gear since I last posted here

I now have:

Guitar
-Fender Telecaster (with Bareknuckle, "The Boss", in the bridge and a Vintage Tele pup in the neck)
-Blackstar HT-50
-Blackstar 2x12

Bass
-Squier Jazz bass
-Ampeg PF800
-Ampeg 2x10

Will probably post pics later

Response to Guitarists 2013-12-24 22:34:33

snap, i need to join this. can i join this? :3

i have two guitars. my first one i ever owned was a shitty fender starcaster (the kind you find in a "starter" box) my dad bought me for christmas a few years back. i got my second, a mattle blue cort x6, with my own money in february. my cort is my baby. um, don't really have a favorite band but i'm really fond of A7x, trivium, BFMV, and KSE. been playing for a little over a year now, so i'm technically still a beginner.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2014-01-05 17:05:28

I have a Dean. Dave Mustaine signature flying V, a standard cheap les paul rip off and a few acoustics.

I have been playing for 12 years and been i about 5 bands, one of which i was in for 10 years.

I love all styles and have played a variety from - Death metal, melodic metal, heavy metal, classic rock, acoustic and classical. i love playing and when i have a really hard day i love to just play and get all that emotion into musical form.

anyway GUITARISTS UNITE!

Response to Guitarists 2014-02-06 19:07:42

Hello guitarists.

I am in dire need of help. Is it perhaps possible that someone can tab a song for me? I'd do it myself but it's fairly complicated.

You shall have my eternal thanks.

pls

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2014-02-10 21:43:40

1)ibanez 12 string acoustic
2)Pink Floyd/ MGMT
3)5 years