ZeroGravity
ZeroGravity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-16 21:39:42 Reply

SPEAKING OF GUITARS

Anybody learning a new song? New technique? Any gigs lately?

I command you to discuss. There should not be silence for days on such an awesome club.

SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-17 10:51:21 Reply

At 12/16/10 09:39 PM, ZeroGravity wrote: SPEAKING OF GUITARS

Anybody learning a new song? New technique? Any gigs lately?

I command you to discuss. There should not be silence for days on such an awesome club.

I've been writing a lot of stuff lately, well I say writing, I don't actually write any of it down. Hopefully soon after Christmas I can write it all down and try and make some coherent music out of it.

Also for Christmas I got a Devi Ever Hyperion, which is one hell of a fuzz, as well as a Fulltone OCD and a BYOC Phase Royal. Obviously since they're for Christmas I haven't got to use them yet, but oh boy I can't wait.

ToastedCupcake
ToastedCupcake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-17 12:53:36 Reply

I've been playing in Drop C a lot lately, I'd never dropped down to anything below D before, but I love the tone.

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature
MoRGoT1-1
MoRGoT1-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-17 13:34:16 Reply

(oldest to newest)
Guitar :

- Gk Acoustic its a cheap acoustic guitar
- Washburn X50 neckthru
- Jackson Kelly k3 with floyd rose (its a pain in the ass when you never had one before)
- And recently i bought a Gbase classical guitar for the fun of recording classical guitar

My musical interest :
Mainly metal : Black metal (Darkthrone, Satyricon, Emperor, Celtic Frost, Bathory etc..) but also some good old thrash metal, death metal is great too (Hail to Chuck Schuldiner) but not too much, i listen to suffocation but a lots of band like Cannibal corpse or dying fetus im not a big fan... doing a lots of note quickly doesn't impress me either , so thats why i don't like band like Dream theater, shredding just to show off isn't my thing at all and i think these band are ''empty shell''

But i just love old rock too , Led Zeppelin, Pink floyd you get me right ?
And also some other stuff , without liking all the genre thought like : Porcupine tree, NIN, Meshuggah

Cry while training to laugh on the battlefield

MoRGoT1-1
MoRGoT1-1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Gamer
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-17 13:39:45 Reply

Sorry for the double post but its for the sake of having a real guitar conversation!!

At 12/17/10 12:53 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote: I've been playing in Drop C a lot lately, I'd never dropped down to anything below D before, but I love the tone.

So did me and my buddy !! i did it just to try and compose like that and althought i do enjoy the heaviness but i think its missing some higher pitch though its great for composing big fat oppressing riff, or just to play like behemoth (they are playing c# i think ?? )

I've got one guitar tune in E one in D and one in C talk about a variety of different tone ;)

Cry while training to laugh on the battlefield

TheDaemonicPoet
TheDaemonicPoet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-17 16:01:26 Reply

Check the preview for my new song.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 84156

I know the vocals suck but I think I did it pretty well on the guitar.

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-17 16:09:00 Reply

At 12/17/10 12:53 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote: I've been playing in Drop C a lot lately, I'd never dropped down to anything below D before, but I love the tone.

D standard with low D dropped to A, feels good man.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-17 16:27:40 Reply

I call that stuff Fat Metal because I think of Dino Cazares when I hear Drop C, B... Z. The guy is so fat that I bet Ibanez made a special cavity on his guitar to hold fried chicken and donuts.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-17 16:56:37 Reply

C standard bro. Feels good.

Also I've been learning this song because it's awesome.

Also William Kanengiser fever. He's the one with the awesome beard.

Amazing.
Awesomer version of canon in D

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner
GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature
TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-18 15:16:07 Reply

Also I learned how to play keyboard cat song.

BBS Signature
Psil0
Psil0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-18 22:50:11 Reply

Effects: Hopefully getting a Dallus Arbiter Fuzz pedal and a whammy pedal here soon.

New Techniques: Learned to make DJ scratching noises so I could pull off Tom Morello solos, pac man sounds (just to do them for the hell of it), and some weird Omar Rodriguez-Lopez type techniques.

New Music: Nothing yet, but I want to get writing again here shortly. Learned some new songs though, mostly Raconteurs, Volta, some Zeppelin and Floyd too. Some Muse and White Stripes and to top it off, some Rage Against the Machine.

ChocloMan
ChocloMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-19 17:35:06 Reply

I've been thoerizing about a new technique (still can't try it out) since yesterday, which is a combination of tremolo picking overdifferent strings, microtonal variations in pitch, and a joke. Like Van Halen when he discovered (not invented!) tapping, I won't reveal it for now, maybe I'll post an example soon. Probably not, though.

As for new equipment, nothing here. I did get my guitar setup which I hadn't done in a while.

New music: I've been digging Dinosaur Jr. as of late, and I recently ordered the complete works of Gustav Mahler, should arrive soon :D :D :D

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce
"This sig, is fucking cool."

BBS Signature
TheDaemonicPoet
TheDaemonicPoet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-20 14:07:08 Reply

I want to know which recording softwares do you guys use. I use Audacity, but I want to know if there is any better software and free as well.

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-20 14:12:32 Reply

At 12/20/10 02:07 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: I want to know which recording softwares do you guys use. I use Audacity, but I want to know if there is any better software and free as well.

Reaper.

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-20 14:14:08 Reply

At 12/18/10 03:16 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: Also I learned how to play keyboard cat song.

That's cool. I recently learned it as well. Aside from that. I am getting new guitar strings soon for my stratocaster and wondering if there is certain type of string I should buy or will any generic brand of guitar strings do fine?

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-20 14:20:33 Reply

At 12/20/10 02:14 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
At 12/18/10 03:16 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: Also I learned how to play keyboard cat song.
That's cool. I recently learned it as well. Aside from that. I am getting new guitar strings soon for my stratocaster and wondering if there is certain type of string I should buy or will any generic brand of guitar strings do fine?

You need to get to know what you like, it's a preference thing. I'm using .12 to .52 D'Addario at the moment, because I tune lower than normal and like bassy tone.

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-20 14:22:58 Reply

At 12/20/10 02:20 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
You need to get to know what you like, it's a preference thing. I'm using .12 to .52 D'Addario at the moment, because I tune lower than normal and like bassy tone.

Ahh, i tend to buy the first act crap strings from Wal-Mart, might start buying them from a pawn shop though because I tend to play heavy riffs most of the time. Although I may buy a spare set incase I decide to try to play some indie or pop song though. However overall I enjoy playing the heavier riffs and whatnot. Forgot what style of Ernie Ball I need though. Slick style strings?

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-21 09:38:59 Reply

At 12/20/10 02:22 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Ahh, i tend to buy the first act crap strings from Wal-Mart,

Why would you ever do buy strings from Wal-Mart. That's so bad...

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature
RogerBK
RogerBK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Audiophile
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-21 09:46:56 Reply

My guitar strigs are Ernie Ball's Super Sliky... They were pretty expensive, when I was buying it, I bought a $13 headset and a pack of Mentos. The whole thing cost about 25, 26 dollars...

But I love those strings. They're perfect for solos and I think they're pretty good for power chords...

Also, I didn't cut 'em, so, it looks like Tom Morello's guitars. :D

Hey you, looking for fun? Join the Elite Guard Barracks
Signature by CagedSilhouette!!

BBS Signature
TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-21 22:33:13 Reply

At 12/21/10 09:46 AM, RogerBK wrote:
Also, I didn't cut 'em, so, it looks like Tom Morello's guitars. :D

I tried that when I changed my strings. I nearly blinded myself every time I picked up my guitar.

Also I had to rearrange God rest ye merry gentlemen into my own version and play it. I might upload it or whatever when I get the chance.

BBS Signature
TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-22 19:11:09 Reply

I try not to double post but you guys make it hard.

Anyway, I've been trying to do pinch harmonics lately. I can do them for the most part but it still isn't perfect. I also can't seem to get a good one off the 6th string.

Also I'm trying to get some headphones. What do you guys think of these?

BBS Signature
TheDaemonicPoet
TheDaemonicPoet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-22 20:03:24 Reply

At 12/21/10 09:46 AM, RogerBK wrote: Also, I didn't cut 'em, so, it looks like Tom Morello's guitars. :D

I don't cut them because I'm lazy :P. But to prevent hurting myself I curl it.

At 12/22/10 07:11 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: Anyway, I've been trying to do pinch harmonics lately. I can do them for the most part but it still isn't perfect. I also can't seem to get a good one off the 6th string.

Well I can do pinch harmonics reasonably well, even on the 7th string :p. But anyway... I can't get that Zakk Wylde style for some reason.

BBS Signature
cursed666
cursed666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-22 20:04:18 Reply

I have a offbrand tredition guitar, not sure of the model... and my favorite band as of this moment has to be children of bodom

I've been playin for almost 4 years now. so im not all that great, and im lookin to start a band.

"haha everyone has their own taste of 'ass' I don't like big ass's made with Mcdonald food´╗┐" >>>>>>>>
Free Bitcoins at the link BELOW! >>>>>>>
http://freebitco.in/?r=270701

RogerBK
RogerBK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Audiophile
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-22 20:14:32 Reply

At 12/22/10 07:11 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: I try not to double post but you guys make it hard.

Yeah... it's true...

Anyway, I've been trying to do pinch harmonics lately.

God, I don't know how to do harmonics... But, speaking on these, I've been trying to do a lot of harpeggios, they're pretty difficult, even more for someone with so little experience on the guitar... I'm trying to get speed, since I'm still a begginer...

Also, it never happened accidents with my Tom Morello's strings... lol, the worse thing the guitar done to me was cutting my finger in the last string... Aww, that hurted, but it wasn't a very big cut...

Hey you, looking for fun? Join the Elite Guard Barracks
Signature by CagedSilhouette!!

BBS Signature
GordonDaMonster
GordonDaMonster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-22 20:26:34 Reply

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum so here's my info:

Guitars:
(Electric) Yamaha Pacifica
(Acoustic) I don't think its a very well known brand (BlackDog) not the best acoustic ever lol

Bands: Mostly listen to all metal but I do like most music :)

Been playing for: 6 years :)

I'm wondering if you guys can help, I wanna start learning classical. do you guys know any good sites for learning classical?

TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-22 20:39:45 Reply

At 12/22/10 08:26 PM, GordonDaMonster wrote: Hey guys, I'm new to this forum so here's my info:

Guitars:
(Acoustic) I don't think its a very well known brand (BlackDog) not the best acoustic ever lol

I'm wondering if you guys can help, I wanna start learning classical. do you guys know any good sites for learning classical?

I wouldn't rely on a website for learning classical, but that's just me.

Do you just want to play or actually learn proper technique and such?

BBS Signature
GordonDaMonster
GordonDaMonster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-22 20:50:29 Reply

At 12/22/10 08:39 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:
At 12/22/10 08:26 PM, GordonDaMonster wrote: Hey guys, I'm new to this forum so here's my info:

Guitars:

I wouldn't rely on a website for learning classical, but that's just me.

Do you just want to play or actually learn proper technique and such?

I want to play , but I will really want to learn proper techniques and what-not, would be best to learn technique first :P and your right, websites are not usually the best, but for the time being, It's the best I have.

TheSporkLord
TheSporkLord
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-22 21:04:44 Reply

I see. Well for one you should start growing out your nails and shaping them. Try to get them just past the tip of your finger, you don't want them too long. I would upload a photo of mine if I could but my computer is being ghey.

My teacher also has a youtube although he removed some of the older videos. But as you can see in Dia de noviembre, he's not really flailing around everywhere. Classical guitar should be relaxed and " effortless ". Basically get the best sound you can while moving around as little as possible.

Here is a video on rest stroke, which is very useful for scales and such.

Another on rolls and freestyle picking.

BBS Signature
GordonDaMonster
GordonDaMonster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-22 21:22:21 Reply

At 12/22/10 09:04 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: I see. Well for one you should start growing out your nails and shaping them. Try to get them just past the tip of your finger, you don't want them too long. I would upload a photo of mine if I could but my computer is being ghey.

My teacher also has a youtube although he removed some of the older videos. But as you can see in Dia de noviembre, he's not really flailing around everywhere. Classical guitar should be relaxed and " effortless ". Basically get the best sound you can while moving around as little as possible.
Here is a video on rest stroke, which is very useful for scales and such.
Another on rolls and freestyle picking.

Thanks for the help! And if you have any other tips or anything you'd be kind enough to give, just inbox me. Thanks again naturally Im more of a shredder.

PolishMatt
PolishMatt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Guitarists 2010-12-22 21:39:47 Reply

At 12/22/10 09:22 PM, GordonDaMonster wrote: Thanks for the help! And if you have any other tips or anything you'd be kind enough to give, just inbox me. Thanks again naturally Im more of a shredder.

Lets hear you shred. Classical goes hand in hand with shredding, at least in the philosophy behind it - as little as much movement for maximum speed, accuracy and synchronization.

BBS Signature