00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Guitarists

627,566 Views | 13,330 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 19:30:22

At 8/6/08 07:04 PM, Nev wrote: Its like having a lower action. Requires less effort to press down the strings.

Really? People were saying it's faster because your finger doesn't drag on the fretboard (drag? wtf) but what about guitars that have that and Jumbo frets as is, the large frets would cause to create the note before hitting the fretboard anyways due to their size, resulting in the standard fretboard being as effective as scallops. Correct?

And whether or not Yngwie is your least favourite. He still shreds. Insanely fast. On a Strat.

Harmonic minor wanking lol.

Ever heard the term Super-Strat... they resemble Strats... know anyone who plays one :P?

Yeah, you probably wouldn't even known half of them. K, to make it loud and clear; I dislike Fender and I like what others have build upon the company's imperfect instruments. And ASIDE from the body shape, Super-Strats don't have nothing in common with an American Fender Stratocaster.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 19:38:44

At 8/6/08 07:30 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Really? People were saying it's faster because your finger doesn't drag on the fretboard

When playing a unscalloped guitar you have to press down to the wood in order to get the sound.
Because there is no wood underneath you need to apply less pressure and so you can jusy float around the fretboard.

Something like that. I'm not an expert. Positive or jarrdyn will know.

Harmonic minor wanking lol.

In terms of technique, he's fast :P. Thats the issue here, boy.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 19:41:29

At 8/6/08 07:30 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
In terms of technique, he's fast :P. Thats the issue here, boy.

Do we really care if he's OMFGZ HEEZ S0 FAST! HE WILL PAWNZER TEH NOOBS fast

We care about good music, Just because it isn't the heaviest or most technical doesn't mean we can;t like or, we can be looked down on because we like that music

RantOver

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 19:53:02

At 8/6/08 07:41 PM, mynameisDavid wrote: Do we really care if he's OMFGZ HEEZ S0 FAST! HE WILL PAWNZER TEH NOOBS fast

Unfortunately we're not arguing about that.
Neither Matt or myself like Yngwie.
We're discussing Fender Strats and the ability to perform Metal techniques on said guitars.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 20:28:29

Even though he isn't strictly a shredder, what about Mr R. Blackmore. I mean highly influential on modern shred guitar and he plays Strats almost exclusively.

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 20:31:36

At 8/6/08 06:51 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
And same goes for Eddie (Isn't it made out of like million different guitar parts? It has a damn Floyd on it for crying out load), you're going to keep throwing players at me that have ever touched a guitar resembling anything of a strat, you will have to try hard.

Van Halen's guitar is basically a strat (probably made out of different strats but whatever) with a Gibson pickup and a floyd rose (which I think he didn't have at the time of recording Eruption). The Floyd Rose doesn't really influence techniques like tapping, speed/tremolo picking and sweeps.

But I think we're getting a bit out of hand, maybe the dude who is thinking of buying the strat isn't really into shredding :P

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

-Ambrose Bierce

"This sig, is fucking cool."

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 20:47:17

At 8/6/08 07:38 PM, Nev wrote: When playing a unscalloped guitar you have to press down to the wood in order to get the sound.
Because there is no wood underneath you need to apply less pressure and so you can jusy float around the fretboard.

Well it basically that since the strings are only touching the frets and not the board, there is less friction when playing, thus requiring less pressure to fret. So yeah, you were pretty much right.

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 20:52:03

At 8/6/08 07:38 PM, Nev wrote: When playing a unscalloped guitar you have to press down to the wood in order to get the sound.

From past boredoms that happen usually at around 4AM in the morning and curiosities that drive me nuts, I discovered that my finger does NOT have to go all the way down to the fretboard to produce a note when a plectrum used to attack the string. That's why this is confusing me. Someone hand me 10 grand so I can buy Yngwie's guitar to experiment on, for the sake of science.

Jarrdyn visits us like once a month if not less, haha.

In terms of technique, he's fast :P. Thats the issue here,

Yeah, I just watched some concerts of his from 1989, damn, he was good.

boy.

Take that back.

At 8/6/08 08:31 PM, ChocloMan wrote: Van Halen's guitar is basically a strat (probably made out of different strats but whatever) with a Gibson pickup and a floyd rose (which I think he didn't have at the time of recording Eruption).

Hobbyists have been trying to figure out what the guitar exactly is, for like 20 years. The guitar is too weird to be used for this debate.

The Floyd Rose doesn't really influence techniques like tapping, speed/tremolo picking and sweeps.

From past experience, I find playing those techniques much much easier and comfortable to be played on a floating trem.

But I think we're getting a bit out of hand, maybe the dude who is thinking of buying the strat isn't really into shredding :P

Yes, we have gotten out of hand but it was a lot of fun and a good conversation. And CCDP is a Shredder for the most part. I don't like talking on people's behalf's but if I recall correctly, he enjoys playing a lot of PG songs.

Which is the obvious.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 21:04:58

At 8/6/08 08:52 PM, PolishMatt wrote: I discovered that my finger does NOT have to go all the way down to the fretboard to produce a note

Well I was right anyway so shutup! >:(!!!

Jarrdyn visits us like once a month if not less, haha.

Jarrydn is omnipresent. Even when you're naked.

Yeah, I just watched some concerts of his from 1989, damn, he was good.

"I DON'T WANT A FUCKIN' DONUT!"

Take that back.

Sorry :(.

Hobbyists have been trying to figure out what the guitar exactly is, for like 20 years. The guitar is too weird to be used for this debate.

They should try and figure out what happened to Eddie himself. He looks like the Emperor from Star Wars.

From past experience, I find playing those techniques much much easier and comfortable to be played on a floating trem.

Well you've been using floating trems for a while haven't you?
So you'll be used to that.

And CCDP is Shredder.

NO WAY!?

Guitarists

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 21:06:09

Actually I read in an interview to Malmsteen that he doesn't do it for speed, but for control.
Don't know what he means by that though :P

-Ambrose Bierce

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 21:09:15

At 8/6/08 09:06 PM, ChocloMan wrote: Actually I read in an interview to Malmsteen that he doesn't do it for speed, but for control.

Scalloping the neck I mean. Damn you for posting while I'm writing the reply. D:

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 21:12:35

At 8/6/08 09:06 PM, ChocloMan wrote: Actually I read in an interview to Malmsteen that he doesn't do it for speed, but for control.

Because there is no wood underneath to support your fingers the strings bend very easily.
I imagine he likes that aspect of it.

But we all know its to make up speed due to his fingers being fat.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 21:18:33

It probably has something to do with that you are no longer under the mercy of friction with bends or vibrato thus you play your guitar faster, thus making the gig go faster, thus getting to the all-you-can-eat buffett at the after concert party faster.

Yngwie fat jokes are the best kind...

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 21:30:37

At 8/6/08 09:04 PM, Nev wrote: Well I was right anyway so shutup! >:(!!!

Well I just proved you wrong.

Jarrydn is omnipresent. Even when you're naked.

So that's who it was..

Sorry :(.

Accepted.

They should try and figure out what happened to Eddie himself. He looks like the Emperor from Star Wars.

I shat myself, but for cereal, that's funny.

Well you've been using floating trems for a while haven't you?
So you'll be used to that.

You would be surprised, I started around three years ago, and since then I been using fixed bridges. It was only till last December that I got my first floating-trem and I discovered the beauty of it all.

Because there is no wood underneath to support your fingers the strings bend very easily.
I imagine he likes that aspect of it.

Yeah, at every interview, he speaks of this unknown violinist that apparently influenced him a lot, and that he got his vibrato technique from. His style is basically; 'scale run, arpeggio, scale run, long ass vibrato, run to back stage for food'

But we all know its to make up speed due to his fingers being fat.

Don't forget the massive amounts of gold that took Africa a century to dig up and refine.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 22:24:56

Yeah, Nicolo Paganini is TOTALLY unknown.

-Ambrose Bierce

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-06 23:30:09

At 8/6/08 10:24 PM, ChocloMan wrote: Yeah, Nicolo Paganini is TOTALLY unknown.

I bet 100$ you had to look it up on Wikipedia.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-07 10:43:23

At 8/6/08 11:30 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 8/6/08 10:24 PM, ChocloMan wrote: Yeah, Nicolo Paganini is TOTALLY unknown.

He really is quite a popular composer.
Becker and Vai like doing versions of his works too, I believe.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-07 11:18:44

At 8/7/08 10:43 AM, Nev wrote: Becker and Vai like doing versions of his works too, I believe.

Never heard of this, Becker had such little time.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-07 14:43:16

You better start taking that wallet out then...

-Ambrose Bierce

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-07 15:03:39

At 8/7/08 02:43 PM, ChocloMan wrote:
You better start taking that wallet out then...

Yeah I know, I possibly won't ever be able to hold 100$ all in my hands. Better to keep it safe in a wallet.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-07 15:13:33

At 8/7/08 03:03 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Yeah I know, I possibly won't ever be able to hold 100$ all in my hands. Better to keep it safe in a wallet.

You're not very good at sarcasm are you :P?

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-07 16:46:29

At 8/7/08 03:13 PM, Nev wrote: You're not very good at sarcasm are you :P?

I knew someone was going to point it out, but you get the point.

You're not very good at making forum signatures, are you :P?

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-07 17:13:16

At 8/7/08 04:46 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
You're not very good at making forum signatures, are you :P?

I didn't make it.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-08 00:46:06

At 8/7/08 05:13 PM, Nev wrote: I didn't make it.

Well, I still secretly like it.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-08 00:51:49

At 8/6/08 04:13 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 8/6/08 04:00 PM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: What's wrong with a Strat?
It comes down to the question of whether you want to play Metal or Rock. I played a Fender Strat and it's terrible for anything related to Metal. It looks pretty, that's about it.

A Strat really isn't that metal of a guitar, but Yngwie Malmsteen plays one. Also, I'm not really planning to play metal with it.

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-08 06:08:24

At 8/6/08 09:04 PM, Nev wrote: Jarrydn is omnipresent. Even when you're naked.

It's true.

Meh, I play a strat. It plays well and sounds ballsy.

I wouldn't mind getting a hold of a Tele and setting it up for metal. Nothing better than a slab of wood for tone and sustain ;D

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-08 06:38:19

At 8/8/08 06:08 AM, jarrydn wrote: I wouldn't mind getting a hold of a Tele and setting it up for metal. Nothing better than a slab of wood for tone and sustain ;D

What? Thwack a grunty pick-up in the bridge?

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-08 07:00:22

At 8/8/08 06:38 AM, positively-negative wrote:
At 8/8/08 06:08 AM, jarrydn wrote: I wouldn't mind getting a hold of a Tele and setting it up for metal. Nothing better than a slab of wood for tone and sustain ;D
What? Thwack a grunty pick-up in the bridge?

Pretty much ;D

Though my experiences with even the stock pickups have been extremely positive :)

Did not know you could get so much gain and chugg from a single coil!

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-08 07:24:21

At 8/8/08 07:00 AM, jarrydn wrote: Did not know you could get so much gain and chugg from a single coil!

That's what happens when you have a highly wound bridge pick-up creating a high output (often around twice the neck output) and mount it on a metal plate.

Response to Guitarists 2008-08-08 09:56:35

At 8/8/08 07:24 AM, positively-negative wrote: That's what happens when you have a highly wound bridge pick-up creating a high output (often around twice the neck output) and mount it on a metal plate.

I'm seriously considering getting myself a Squire tele and pimping it out =]

Locking machines, brass (or tusq) saddles, stacked single coil in the bridge, maybe a built in treble boost...