00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RobotHeadProductions just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Testing the waters

726 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Testing the waters 2010-06-08 07:02:38

So the art portal is pretty darned intimidating!

I see quite a few great pieces and some pieces that I am like "Oh hey, I can totally draw better than that!!" only to scroll a little further down and go "nope, he wins..."

Thought I might as well give it a shot..

Thoughts, comments?

(I use to draw quite often, but I just abruptly stopped... Not but a month or two ago I decided I would pick back up and see what I could make..)

Testing the waters

Response to Testing the waters 2010-06-08 09:34:33

There's not much going on in this picture and the picture is flat which makes it less interesting. The weird pixelness of it is kind of cool but makes it way too messy and hard to see. Also don't use images in your art other wise you'll never get into the art portal.

Response to Testing the waters 2010-06-08 10:57:58

At 6/8/10 09:34 AM, CloudEater wrote: There's not much going on in this picture and the picture is flat which makes it less interesting. The weird pixelness of it is kind of cool but makes it way too messy and hard to see. Also don't use images in your art other wise you'll never get into the art portal.

... can I criticise your criticism, cloud? :P

Whilst it good to be critical, you've picked up on a lot of negatives for a pic which ain't half bad. That can be quite dispiriting to read!
Start off with a fluffly cushion of compliments, before delivering a couple of good punches. Should be about 50/50, give or take whether you like it or not.

BBS Signature

Response to Testing the waters 2010-06-08 12:43:59

At 6/8/10 10:57 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 6/8/10 09:34 AM, CloudEater wrote: There's not much going on in this picture and the picture is flat which makes it less interesting. The weird pixelness of it is kind of cool but makes it way too messy and hard to see. Also don't use images in your art other wise you'll never get into the art portal.
... can I criticise your criticism, cloud? :P

Whilst it good to be critical, you've picked up on a lot of negatives for a pic which ain't half bad. That can be quite dispiriting to read!
Start off with a fluffly cushion of compliments, before delivering a couple of good punches. Should be about 50/50, give or take whether you like it or not.

I agree with turkey, this isn't the first time I've noticed you being untactful too cloudeater. The picture is actually fine, the only glaring issue is that the guy just needs to become more familiar with photoshop, or whatever digital side he's using, although right now this looks greatly like an ink press form an etching, which is pretty rad.

I tried smoothing out the hardedges a little for you, it's a good drawing. My advice would be to forget that floodfill exists, get used to color on sperate layers using overlay and hue/color layers. Also, if you put your lines on their own layer, then set the layer with the lines to 'multiply' you can color right under them on the layer below them. It's amazing. Good luck!

Testing the waters

Response to Testing the waters 2010-06-08 18:49:23

Criticism is good, but you have to realize that it can be real down-bringing if all you do is point out flaws. I think the picture is pretty good, of course, things can always be improved, but that's like walking around school and telling people what's wrong with their appearance, and what they need to do to become better looking. Sure they need to be improved, but do more than just criticize.

Response to Testing the waters 2010-06-09 01:35:53

Hahah, much appreciated guys, honestly!!!

I have a terrible time getting my stuff to my computer.. Firstly the only way of getting it here is through my cell phone, I take a picture in a (super) lighted area and then email it to myself..

I then use Paint.net (Free paint tool) for making the lines darker and making it look more like it was scanned.

The time it took me to get what product we have there was painstakingly long...

As for the guy who smoothed out the image for me? Thanks, that looks way sexier!

As for the one (maybe the same person?) who was talking about layers and colors... Ehhh wha?

This one was meant to be a Catholic Ninja... I have no clue what to do about the mask, lots of problems when I messed with the coloring on it...

And its not meant to be offensive towards anyone!!!!!!! I was making fun of a Hispanic friend of mine after we discussed how he doesn't know any white Catholics in his neighborhood!!...

(Background was a totally jacked photo of a cathedral.. I plan on having my friend get a picture of his for me so the picture has more meaning!)

Critique away.

Testing the waters

Response to Testing the waters 2010-06-09 01:36:53

Wow... That was a LOT smoother the last time I looked at it...

Maybe its something about the format?

I swear he was not that pixelated!!!!!

Response to Testing the waters 2010-06-09 01:40:08

Annnnd a random squidbilly I drew..

Was originally supposed to be a penguin...

Then squidward..

Then somehow it got man boobs and I decided it was a squidbilly that lived in a hut.... Yep...

(This is what the pictures tend to look like when I get them from my phone as well.. This has a little touch up done to it though)

Testing the waters