liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:39:14 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:14 PM, Haggard wrote: England is part of Britain, so what's wrong with saying "the brits" when talking about England?

Is that a serious question? I'd imagine that you'd find some very angry responses from Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish people on that topic. It's like clumping Germany and Poland together as Europeans. Even though they're technically neighbours, we all know how that worked out the last time the two were put together.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:39:51 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:20 PM, Elsid wrote:
At 6/23/10 12:14 PM, Haggard wrote: "Common sense" is "let's score another goal to secure this win."
Well since scoring a goal is harder than just keeping it away from the opposition, risky in terms of losing posession and reasonably unlikely I wouldn't say it is 'common sense'. I mean whichever they did would be fair enough really.

It still looks pathetic, especially for a team like England. Seriously, with players like Rooney, Cole, Gerrad, Lampard... it should be possible to get a higher score than a mere 1-0.

It's not too hard to have some players at the back that can stop a counter attack.
Why risk it though? There's still a chance they will score, whereas there isn't if they are kept from posession.

The defenders could still get a hold of the ball and start a counter attack, even if the opposing team tries to keep posession of the ball.

England is part of Britain, so what's wrong with saying "the brits" when talking about England?
Well it just doesn't take into account how different the peoples of the different countries of Britain are.

When I was in the UK (England and Scotland to be more precise) I didn't notice that much of a difference between the people.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

gingermagicman
gingermagicman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:45:31 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:20 PM, Elsid wrote:
England is part of Britain, so what's wrong with saying "the brits" when talking about England?
Well it just doesn't take into account how different the peoples of the different countries of Britain are.

Well what's wrong with saying Asians when talking about Indians, Chinese, or Russian. I think anyone here with 2 brain cells and a head would agree that the generic Russian looks like the generic Chinese, who looks nothing like the generic Indian.

In December, drinkin' horchata, I look psycotic in a, bal-a-clava.

BBS Signature
gingermagicman
gingermagicman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:48:39 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:32 PM, andhination wrote: lol @ all the English people thinking they're gonna win the world cup because they scraped a win against a country the same size as Wales.

lol @ all the American people thinking they're the shit because they scored against a French colony in the 90th minute.

BBS Signature
Elsid
Elsid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:49:04 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:45 PM, gingermagicman wrote: Well what's wrong with saying Asians when talking about Indians, Chinese, or Russian. I think anyone here with 2 brain cells and a head would agree that the generic Russian looks like the generic Chinese, who looks nothing like the generic Indian.

This is just a ridicolous comment. When your older you can look back and be embaressed.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:49:26 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:39 PM, liljim wrote:
At 6/23/10 12:14 PM, Haggard wrote: England is part of Britain, so what's wrong with saying "the brits" when talking about England?
Is that a serious question?

Well, for me there's "Great Britain", which consits of England, Scotland and Wales (and Northern Ireland is somehow connected to this as well). For me the term "brits" describes the people of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Also, you have the Union Flag in your sig, so I guess you wouldn't feel upset if I call you a Brit, right? ;)

I'd imagine that you'd find some very angry responses from Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish people on that topic.

Last time I used the term "Brits" in a forum that is frequented by mostly Scots I didn't get any angry responses.
I would propably be banned though if I used the term "english people" to adress users there. XD

It's like clumping Germany and Poland together as Europeans.

I don't have any problems with that. :P
Also, I think there's a huge difference between "The United Kingdom" and "Europe". ;)

Even though they're technically neighbours, we all know how that worked out the last time the two were put together.

Eh? There are lots of polish people in Germany (and some polish descendant people play for the german national team right now) and I don't hear many complaints from either side. :P

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:51:18 Reply

Is that a serious question? I'd imagine that you'd find some very angry responses from Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish people on that topic. It's like clumping Germany and Poland together as Europeans. Even though they're technically neighbours, we all know how that worked out the last time the two were put together.

I would ask the same question actually. I think almost anyone outside of the UK would not have guessed that anyone inside of UK would be offended when you call them Brits or British. Or by calling just the English people "British".

The difference with Germany and Poland is that they are clearly separate countries these days, whereas Northern-Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England are almost always called Great-Britain or the UK unless it is absolutely relevant to call them otherwise. Which in this case it wasn't really, because there couldn't be any confusion anyway.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 3 December 2016)

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:52:17 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:35 PM, Auz wrote: Those were my expectations for England at least, and I can't imagine you guys are that proud of your team right now.

I think we're glad they managed to address what was wrong since the incredibly dire Algeria game, and that we actually managed to get into the second round. As much as they deserved to be up by my goals against Slovenia, at least they managed that. We're usually good at taking what we can because we're always so glad that the tension's over... for now.

But yes, I think most of us expected to thrash the group, especially the, erm, tabloid contingent, as has been established in this thread previously. Perhaps a hiccup against the USA, but let's admit it, Algeria weren't a dominant force bar a few gasps and while Slovenia showed some skill (I'm pleased as punch that they didn't have a repeat of '02), we know that the England team shouldn't have had trouble with them going off their club play.

They should keep that in mind,but not dwell on it, because as a lowly English guy, this is the worst (off-pitch) thing about England in the World Cup. They know they have the skill. They can't afford to waste it now. That said, the tournament is still wide open - it's going to be good watching.

I suppose they are different, but come on... there's only one British country in the WC so there can't be any confusion and I didn't expect I would offend any English people by calling them Brits...

Don't worry, you haven't.

I'm as confused as you if I'm wrong.

Ledgey
Ledgey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:52:39 Reply

Lol, the English are never happy. We were great for most of the game, especially in the first half. We should have had three or four at least.

Generally we pick up in the knockout stages and we typically play better football. And we're going to have to if we play the Germans. But nevertheless, I'm not disappointed with that game.

GT - LedgeyNG, Steam - Ledgey91, PSN - LedgeyNG

BBS Signature
Elsid
Elsid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:52:50 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:49 PM, Haggard wrote:
Well, for me there's "Great Britain", which consits of England, Scotland and Wales (and Northern Ireland is somehow connected to this as well). For me the term "brits" describes the people of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Yes but its England's team. Not the team of Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. By your logic you could say that Europe denotes the countries in Europe and therefore England and you could start calling England Europe. It's in Europe but isn't Europe, just like its in Britain but isn't Britain.

<deleted>
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:54:35 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:52 PM, Scarab wrote: Don't worry, you haven't.

I'm as confused as you if I'm wrong.

Keeping in mind I'm relating this to World Cup '10 football fandom. Politics can, erm, fuck off in this thread.

No IRA related chants please.

jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:55:06 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:15 PM, Scarab wrote: Regardless of whether or not keeping the ball in the corner was an act of 'genius' on strategic grounds, it was still stupid to watch.

Holding ball in corner is really fucking retarded and counter-productive in 99% of situations if your team is remotely competent, that said, our only central threat was Emile Heskey, so I condone keeping it there.

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:56:33 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:49 PM, Haggard wrote: Well, for me there's "Great Britain", which consits of England, Scotland and Wales (and Northern Ireland is somehow connected to this as well). For me the term "brits" describes the people of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Yes, it does. But it doesn't describe the teams of the different countries in the UK. Calling the English supporters "Brits" in this instance is comparative to calling Bayern Munich "Germans" in a European cup match, where Bayer Leverkusen might also be playing.

Also, you have the Union Flag in your sig, so I guess you wouldn't feel upset if I call you a Brit, right? ;)

Nope, it's just context I was getting at.

Eh? There are lots of polish people in Germany

I was making a snide joke about the invasion of Poland in World War II. :-P

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:59:00 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:51 PM, Auz wrote: The difference with Germany and Poland is that they are clearly separate countries these days, whereas Northern-Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England are almost always called Great-Britain or the UK unless it is absolutely relevant to call them otherwise. Which in this case it wasn't really, because there couldn't be any confusion anyway.

Actually, that's my very point. It IS relevant to call them otherwise in competitive matches like the World Cup, because they're all competing as DIFFERENT teams. I can guarantee you that there won't be many Scottish people routing for England, despite the English and Scottish being "Brits".

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:59:53 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:01 PM, CharltonChinchilla wrote:
At 6/23/10 11:58 AM, Luis wrote: boo england.
No London visit for you with that attitude you wont be allowed in the country

i deleted it.

None

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 13:00:43 Reply

like i said. i love them english people!

None

Sir-Nuts
Sir-Nuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 13:19:20 Reply

Exactly what some might have said when USA scored:

2010 Fifa World Cup Thread

RalphieUJ
RalphieUJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 13:23:26 Reply

I'm very happy for both wins, England should have put more pressure towards the end but a win is a win. Didn't see the USA match but it is amazing how bad they want this, I sure hope they at leats make it to the quarter finals.

Good luck to all. Now let's just hope and pray Germany loses....

"Aww man I shot marvin in the face..."
Last.fm

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 13:24:24 Reply

Watched both matches at the same time, switching between one another as soon as there was a replay or a boring moment..
US-Alg was pretty interesting, and the US got some well-deserved 3 points after getting lucky with England and being extremely unlucky with Slovenia..
The other match was not as good, and England still failed to prove that they deserved to pass...
As for the next matches, I'm watching Ghana-Germany...it's almost guaranteed to be an epic match.

Ship
Ship
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 13:35:16 Reply

At 6/23/10 01:24 PM, HeavyTank wrote: As for the next matches, I'm watching Ghana-Germany...it's almost guaranteed to be an epic match.

Definitely. Ghana is definitely not a team to be underestimated and Germany had been surprisingly weak in my opinion. I'm praying for a German loss and Serbia pulling through in their game. Regardless of the results, the two games should be very fun to watch.

Fthreat
Fthreat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 13:38:16 Reply

At 6/23/10 01:19 PM, Sir-Nuts wrote: Exactly what some might have said when USA scored:

Brilliant.

Amazing goal from Donovan. Give it a couple of weeks, and US sports fans might forget it, but it's clearly one of the best moments in US soccer history.

Elsid
Elsid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 13:43:09 Reply

At 6/23/10 01:37 PM, laurawildin wrote:
At 6/23/10 01:35 PM, Victory wrote:

Rooney looked miles off the pace, he definitely needs to sharpen up. All this bollocks about him being the main man as well. Not tracking back after he loses the ball for the millionth time.. ffs Wayne.
thing is though rooney is actually amazing, but he doesn't show it when he plays for england, if he played the same way he did for man u he would be a beast!

Players go through good phases and bad phases. His body doesn't seem to be responding so well at the moment.

ProffesorCrumpets
ProffesorCrumpets
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 13:44:20 Reply

At 6/23/10 01:00 PM, Luis wrote: like i said. i love them english people!

Yaaay

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 13:55:49 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:52 PM, Elsid wrote:
At 6/23/10 12:49 PM, Haggard wrote:
Yes but its England's team. Not the team of Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. By your logic you could say that Europe denotes the countries in Europe and therefore England and you could start calling England Europe. It's in Europe but isn't Europe, just like its in Britain but isn't Britain.

As I said, there's a difference between "Europe" and "Great Britain". Especially since there's only one team from "Great Britain" that plays at this years WC.
But I don't want to get tangled up in a silly argument here, so I guess we should just leave it at that.

At 6/23/10 12:56 PM, liljim wrote: Calling the English supporters "Brits" in this instance is comparative to calling Bayern Munich "Germans" in a European cup match, where Bayer Leverkusen might also be playing.

Which wouldn't be too wrong in my opinion.

Eh? There are lots of polish people in Germany
I was making a snide joke about the invasion of Poland in World War II. :-P

I know, but "mentioning the war" over and over again doesn't get any funnier the more often you do it. :P
I can already imagine the headlines of englands/british yellow press if Germany should lose against England or Ghana... I would bet 1.000 Pounds there's at least one headline with a WW II reference. But I have no one to bet against, as I would win it for sure. ^^

Elsid
Elsid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 14:01:43 Reply

At 6/23/10 01:55 PM, Haggard wrote: As I said, there's a difference between "Europe" and "Great Britain". Especially since there's only one team from "Great Britain" that plays at this years WC.

But saying its the Brits team uncomprimisingly implies that its a team with players from all over Britain, when in fact there aren't Scottish or Welsh players. So technically your wrong.

But I don't want to get tangled up in a silly argument here, so I guess we should just leave it at that.

lol hold on a sec? The only person you've convinced that your the bigger man is yourself, since you carried on the argument in the same post as writing this. But it was a nice try, it really was.

LinkSilvermane
LinkSilvermane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 14:08:15 Reply

Wouldn't it be fitting, if the US won the tournament? Such a messed up Cup this is turning out to be...man.

Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature
gingermagicman
gingermagicman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 14:12:35 Reply

Bring on group D.
I think I'm right when I say that every American will be cheering on Germany, and every Englishman will be cheering on Ghana and Serbia.
Am I right?

2010 Fifa World Cup Thread

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 14:16:26 Reply

At 6/23/10 02:01 PM, Elsid wrote:
At 6/23/10 01:55 PM, Haggard wrote: But I don't want to get tangled up in a silly argument here, so I guess we should just leave it at that.
lol hold on a sec? The only person you've convinced that your the bigger man is yourself, since you carried on the argument in the same post as writing this. But it was a nice try, it really was.

You misunderstood me. I didn't meant to say: "LOL LOOK AT ME I WON AN ARGUMENT! LOL!"
I just meant that we should just leave it as it is and not spam this topic with this silly conversation. ;)

But if you are happy: Yes, maybe it is wrong to call the english team "brits", but in my opinion it's no reason to start a fight here if someone does. ;)

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 14:17:29 Reply

Note to self: Proofread!

At 6/23/10 02:16 PM, Haggard wrote: But if you are happy:

Of course this should be "if it makes you happy".

*hangs head in shame*

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 14:25:53 Reply

At 6/23/10 02:08 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote: Wouldn't it be fitting, if the US won the tournament? Such a messed up Cup this is turning out to be...man.

It would have been nice but it's not going to happen.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature