BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-22 20:26:52 Reply

Nigeria-South Korea was definitely the match of the day. Two teams fighting with everything they had because everything was on the line. Very back and forth first Korea looked like they couldn't keep up, then they came back, then Nigeria put the heat on again. With all the close chances it could have been a very different story for both teams. Fitting to see it end up a tie after both sides fought so hard, I was rooting for Nigeria to clinch the next round for an African team, but at least it wasn't Greece. I don't know why they'd play so defensively. On paper it was probably their best hope of getting anything against Argentina, but it shows a lack of confidence and I think that affects the player's mentality. They should have brought the same heart and desire to go for goals that they showed against Nigeria (granted it took Nigeria being a man down for them to come out of their shells).

Tomorrow will be another interesting day. I know I shouldn't be overconfident, but I don't see Algeria beating the US team. Even with our tendency to make defensive blunders Algeria just doesn't have a strong enough finish to their attacks to convince me that they have more than the slimmest of chances at getting anything past the goal. They can't afford to be defensive enough to keep us out and with all the chances they gave England it was at least a little bit of luck that their game last Friday ended in a draw.

England-Slovenia is probably going to be a pretty low-key game until the second half. Since a tie is all they need I expect Slovenia to rely on their defense to stifle the English attack and only counter strong when they see a clear opening in the defense. I think it's going to depend mostly on England's ability to bounce back from a disappointing start, something I wouldn't put past them. If they play like they did against Algeria it's over, if they can finally play like the team of world-class players they are they should be able to break through the Slovenia defense.

I'd like to see Ghana take out Germany or at least tie and not just because it will make my team's life that much easier should the move along. Germany not having Klose will definitely be a boon, but I wouldn't expect that to cripple Germany. Germany will be fighting for a win knowing that a Serbian win would keep them out of the finals should they tie and Ghana isn't quite as strong as they were four years ago at the last World Cup. In my eyes not being able to get more than a draw against a 10 man Australia indicates that they're not ready to take on a full German team.

I know on paper that it's likely that Serbia will be take out Australia, but if I had to choose an upset team before the competition it would have been Australia although realistically after having troubles in every other match they're really going to have to stage a solid comeback.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-22 20:35:34 Reply

At 6/22/10 06:01 PM, DingoTheDog wrote: Im still trying to make sense of the Greek tactics, my understanding was that they needed to win 2-0 against Argentina to guarentee passage.

No, it all depended on the result of the other match..well, almost all, they still needed not to lose and not let Argentina score (because of the goal differences and all that)

A team that ensures a game is destined to be extremely fucking boring even though they actually must win it should be banned from attending the world cup finals - in future if Greece qualifies for the finals of the World Cup they should be stripped of their place which should then be assigned to Scotland, for no justifiable reason!

Of course you're forgetting the part where a team plays however the fuck they want, and where you're not forced to watch the match if you don't want to.They only wanted to get results out of the match (and they failed-but the intention was that), not display mad football skillz.
Also, lol Scotland.

Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-22 20:53:35 Reply

And here are some predictions so everyone can laugh at how wrong I am later on.

SLV 1 - 2 ENG
USA 2 - 0 ALG
GHA 1 - 2 GER
AUS 1 - 1 SER

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-22 21:38:47 Reply

man, England and Germany are seriously in danger of not making it through...if England ties with Slovenia and the USA wins, they're out. and if Germany ties with Ghana and Serbia beats Australia, they're out too.
i know that they will most liekly make it through, but still...they gotta watch out.

Fthreat
Fthreat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-22 21:50:43 Reply

At 6/22/10 09:38 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote: man, England and Germany are seriously in danger of not making it through...if England ties with Slovenia and the USA wins, they're out. and if Germany ties with Ghana and Serbia beats Australia, they're out too.
i know that they will most liekly make it through, but still...they gotta watch out.

All of the European powers need to watch out. It will not be a walk in the park for Spain against Chile, and my trust in the Azzurri dwindled after their draw with New Zealand, of all teams.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-22 22:07:06 Reply

No matter what happens tomorrow, at least Team U.S.A. will finish ahead of France.

What happened to France? Not being able to adequately replace Zinedine Zidane is one thing but WTF?

They even lost to China at one point.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Cericon
Cericon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-22 22:12:39 Reply

I can't wait for Italy to win.

BBS Signature
Ship
Ship
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-22 23:37:03 Reply

At 6/22/10 10:12 PM, Cericon wrote: I can't wait for Italy to win.

Just hope they don't play a team as skillful as New Zealand

annetang
annetang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-22 23:39:57 Reply

I hope that China would be able to play World Cup someday in the future!
Support Asian football teams forever! Go,Go,Go!

2010 Fifa World Cup Thread

Kasualty
Kasualty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-22 23:42:38 Reply

Argentina will win!

Argentina v Netherlands would be a great match.

Do NOT click the siggy

BBS Signature
Kasualty
Kasualty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-22 23:48:28 Reply

At 6/22/10 10:07 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: No matter what happens tomorrow, at least Team U.S.A. will finish ahead of France.

What happened to France? Not being able to adequately replace Zinedine Zidane is one thing but WTF?

They even lost to China at one point.

After what happened to the Irish, they deserve to get their asses kicked.

Also, who's pissed about the ref discrediting the 3rd US goal in the US v SVN game ???

Do NOT click the siggy

BBS Signature
RalphieUJ
RalphieUJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 00:15:38 Reply

All these talk about England not passing is getting on my nerves.

Look here's my point of view:

England for what I can see is having some sort of backstage minor issues (Not even close to France in terms of magnitude), they are not at their 100% right now for some reason, they need to get their shit together and start playing like they care about this tournamnt. Gerrard and Lampard haven't showing even half of what they are capable, Rooney is a ghost and don't even get me started on Heskey. BUT they have the experience needed for a tournament of this caliber, they have the quality, they fucking invented football. I don't want to sound all mushy and shit but this is coming from a South American that has been rooting for England since 98 because our national team has never been to a WC. At the level they have showed the last 2 games they will definitely not go through the First Round.

Like someone else said before (Damn it I couln't find the post but I know it's somewhere).

Possible? Yes.
Probable? No.

End of Rant

Can we talk Argentina for just one sec?

Who else here is rooting for them? I can't be the only one.

"Aww man I shot marvin in the face..."
Last.fm

BBS Signature
Ship
Ship
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 00:44:57 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:15 AM, LatinoRalf wrote: Can we talk Argentina for just one sec?

Oh no, I can assure you you're not alone. I've been following Argentina for as long as I've been alive and I'm pumped because they really look like this year is their year to win their third trophy. However time will tell

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 00:51:17 Reply

I don't think we (England) will get through either. Don't get me wrong I'd love for it to happen but our team seems to be as un-united as France, so I just can't see them working together and playing properly. Certainly if Capello keeps Gerrard on the right and doesn't play Joe Cole when we need a new player on to mix things up.

It's stupid.

So yeah, I don't know.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
RalphieUJ
RalphieUJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 01:08:40 Reply

At 6/23/10 12:44 AM, Ship wrote:
At 6/23/10 12:15 AM, LatinoRalf wrote: Can we talk Argentina for just one sec?

Oh no, I can assure you you're not alone. I've been following Argentina for as long as I've been alive and I'm pumped because they really look like this year is their year to win their third trophy. However time will tell

We need another moment even remotely close to this.*

Yeah....Orgasmic.

Last.fm

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 01:09:49 Reply

What I don't understand is why the NY Times mentions goals differential on their website for the standings. I thought teams were pitted against number of goals scored compared to the other team that has the same points. For example, if the USA and England both had 0-0 draws tomorrow, will the USA advance over England or will they be equal because they both will have a goal differential of 0?

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥
¥ ♡ ¥
Blag [updated: 1/2/2016] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 01:20:14 Reply

At 6/23/10 01:09 AM, Malachy wrote: What I don't understand is why the NY Times mentions goals differential on their website for the standings. I thought teams were pitted against number of goals scored compared to the other team that has the same points. For example, if the USA and England both had 0-0 draws tomorrow, will the USA advance over England or will they be equal because they both will have a goal differential of 0?

If that happens USA will go through as they've SCORED more goals in the 3 games altogether.

USA 1-1 England
USA 2-2 Slovenia
England 0-0 Algeria

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 01:22:41 Reply

If they both record a 0-0 tie, then the Slovenia and the US will advance.

If for example, England records a 3-3 tie and the US records a 0-0 tie then Slovenia and England advances. England has to make up for the amount of goals scored (Goals for); the US has 3 compared to England's 1 with all else being equal.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
Malachy
Malachy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 01:28:14 Reply

At 6/23/10 01:22 AM, reverend wrote: If they both record a 0-0 tie, then the Slovenia and the US will advance.

If for example, England records a 3-3 tie and the US records a 0-0 tie then Slovenia and England advances. England has to make up for the amount of goals scored (Goals for); the US has 3 compared to England's 1 with all else being equal.

so in short, the NYtimes added an entire column for no good reason.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥
¥ ♡ ¥
Blag [updated: 1/2/2016] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 01:42:00 Reply

Well yeah, you can say that. It's just there to give people a quick look at a number instead of having to do simple math. Goal Difference is the second tiebreaker so people what to see that at a glance.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
Ship
Ship
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 01:51:54 Reply

At 6/23/10 01:08 AM, LatinoRalf wrote: We need another moment even remotely close to this.*

Yeah....Orgasmic.

Have you seen the Messi goal a couple years back that was almost exactly like that? It was amazing. But this year is the year for la albiceleste. Thank goodness I'm not alone in my support.

RalphieUJ
RalphieUJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 01:59:01 Reply

At 6/23/10 01:51 AM, Ship wrote:
At 6/23/10 01:08 AM, LatinoRalf wrote: We need another moment even remotely close to this.*

Yeah....Orgasmic.
Have you seen the Messi goal a couple years back that was almost exactly like that? It was amazing. But this year is the year for la albiceleste. Thank goodness I'm not alone in my support.

Yes, yes and yes.

Last.fm

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 02:42:43 Reply

At 6/22/10 08:26 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Germany not having Klose will definitely be a boon, but I wouldn't expect that to cripple Germany.

Yeah, it will be a boon for Germany because Löw now actually has to bring a striker... but knowing Löw he propably will bring Gomez who is just as ineffective as Klose. :(

Anyway, too bad Nigeria didn't pass the group phase, but if they can't manage to score from the chances they had... well, then they don't deserve it, imo.

Hopefully England loses against Slowenia today. They played really shitty against the USA (second half) and Algeria (the whole match) so they don't deserve to pass the group stage either.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Rude-Awakening
Rude-Awakening
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 02:52:56 Reply

In response to Germans:
Two World Wars, 1 World Cup.

Do Dah.

NG Gamerscore Leaderboard 2.0
Gamertag: JuicyRumpSteak

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 03:34:33 Reply

At 6/23/10 02:52 AM, Rude-Awakening wrote: In response to Germans:
Two World Wars, 1 World Cup.
Do Dah.

You know, this really hurt me...

Oh wait, no it didn't. :P

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 05:00:50 Reply

Some interesting matches today as England and Germany can possibly be eliminated if they won't do well.

In group C I think the only country that (slightly) deserves to pass the group is the USA in my honest opinion. At least judging from the first two games. Slovenia - Algeria was perhaps the most dreadful game in the WC thus far, and England simply underperformed and disappointed. The USA was unlucky with the referee fucking up in their match against Slovakia, but otherwise they would be a comfortable #1 in the group.

If someone has to pass I'm hoping for England, because that would be the most interesting for the tournament. England - Germany in the second round should be a great match.

In group D I hope Germany will pass. And they should pass because all they need is a simple victory over Ghana, the score doesn't even matter. I'm hoping for Australia coming out as #2 actually, but that is quite unlikely at the moment due to their poor goal differential. Otherwise I guess Serbia deserves it because they beat Germany before.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2015)

BBS Signature
LinkSilvermane
LinkSilvermane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 06:53:06 Reply

At 6/22/10 11:39 PM, annetang wrote: I hope that China would be able to play World Cup someday in the future!
Support Asian football teams forever! Go,Go,Go!

They chose TONI for the Italian card...? Ugh.

Goddamnit man.

Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 06:57:52 Reply

In Group C, I'm still seeing the US winning as long as they don't give up another stupid early goal to which Algeria (fortunately they haven't scored one in group play anyways). Algeria has no real dedicated striker so it's going to be a matter of getting through the log jam of midfielders for most of the game. For England, it's a tossup. Slovenia isn't going to roll over like they did in the second half of the US game. So it's up to the English to either shut up and play or rollover like the French did yesterday.

Group D, I see Germany having no problem winning. They'll get over their hiccup last game and romp all over Ghana. For Serbia, I'm predicting they will draw and with Ghana losing they'll get in.

get your popcorn ready

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 07:40:52 Reply

At 6/23/10 07:15 AM, Ejit wrote: England will beat Slovenia, just wait!

Man, I'll hold you to that. ;P

I've said basically everything I think about today's match already in this thread, but I imagine I'll have a lot more to say during half time and after the 90 minutes is up, AS WILL EVERYONE.

Good luck, England! Try not to get eliminated in the group stage, ya pricks.

BBS Signature