00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2010 Fifa World Cup Thread

123,805 Views | 2,892 Replies

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:04:09

I gotta say that it was quite pathetic to see England waste so much time in the last five minutes. They just went for the corners trying to hold the ball as long as they can, provoking fouls, corners and throw-ins so they can steal a few more seconds. Also I have never seen anyone take a corner kick that slowly.

Anyway, I'm very glad the USA made a goal in the last minute. Like I said before, I think they were the best team in this group and the only team that deserved the second round in my opinion. It's also good they are now group winners and not the Brits. Hopefully we'll get Germany - England in round 2.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:06:44

Christ it's like the shitty plot of a sports film has to follow our team everywhere and we can't win or tie a game at this World Cup without it reaching the point of hair-pulling tension. At least we deservedly get to top the group and earn what's most likely a free pass to avoid Germany in the next round. Good game on England too, maybe we'll get to see each other again in the final round.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:07:41

At 6/23/10 12:04 PM, Auz wrote: I gotta say that it was quite pathetic to see England waste so much time in the last five minutes. They just went for the corners trying to hold the ball as long as they can, provoking fouls, corners and throw-ins so they can steal a few more seconds. Also I have never seen anyone take a corner kick that slowly.

Anyway, I'm very glad the USA made a goal in the last minute. Like I said before, I think they were the best team in this group and the only team that deserved the second round in my opinion. It's also good they are now group winners and not the Brits. Hopefully we'll get Germany - England in round 2.

Yes common sense is really pathetic this is probably your first time ever watching football isnt it? The stakes are too high why the fuck risk getting attacked on the break when we have a lead? Also Britain wasn't playing England was, i have no idea why that is so hard to grasp and if you get Germany they will fucking stomp you.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:08:01

At 6/23/10 10:53 AM, LinkSilvermane wrote: So how do you brits like Capello, anyhow?

We need a montage of all his angry, scowling faces throughout the world cup to see how long the footage lasts.

Betting on at least half an hour's worth.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:08:13

Man the US really really deserved that win. They had so many chances that it just would have been devastating if they had not won. And don't even get me started on the fact that we got another goal taken away from us by a bad call.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:12:01

At 6/23/10 12:05 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Have have been 2-0 USA. It's amazing the USA is still in it with the refs out to fuck them over at every turn. Taking away goals, letting our players get elbowed in the face to the point they are gushing blood with no call.

Overall, the referee today was competent and made many difficult and correct calls. A couple of mess ups are expected when you don't have a 3D animation to show you if a guy is off sides like ESPN has. I've been in some rough games in high school and you'd be surprised how much you can get away with when the ref isn't paying attention. At least they got a reason for the whistle this time.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:13:26

For the past two days some Brazilian fan came to my youtube channel and starts trolling me. Granted it started when I replied to his anti-U.S. comment by stating that his comment is a joke. But then he came in and let's just say it's something even a Red Sox fan would think it's pathetic.

Anyway I did post to his channel and he deleted it, I kept his on my channel (partly because I like having comments on my channel so I marked it as spam instead).

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:14:07

At 6/23/10 12:07 PM, Elsid wrote:
At 6/23/10 12:04 PM, Auz wrote: I gotta say that it was quite pathetic to see England waste so much time in the last five minutes. They just went for the corners trying to hold the ball as long as they can, provoking fouls, corners and throw-ins so they can steal a few more seconds. Also I have never seen anyone take a corner kick that slowly.
Your right, they should have just thrown any caution to the wind and played with joyful and gay abandon carefree and unworried about any negative repercussions like the possible loss of the game and failure to go through. Playing safe is completely obserd, sickening, ridicolous, unheard of and 'pathetic' as you say.

Those kind of strategies are generally used a lot by teams such as Greece, Algeria, Slovakia and other countries of which you wonder how they made it to the WC in the first place ;)

Obviously it was the most clever thing to do in their situation, but the fact that England reverts to such tactics against fucking Slovenia is a bit embarrassing in my opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:14:22

At 6/23/10 12:07 PM, CharltonChinchilla wrote:

Yes common sense is really pathetic

"Common sense" is "let's score another goal to secure this win."
It's not too hard to have some players at the back that can stop a counter attack.

Also Britain wasn't playing England was, i have no idea why that is so hard to grasp and if you get Germany they will fucking stomp you.

England is part of Britain, so what's wrong with saying "the brits" when talking about England?

Also, I'm really hoping for Germany - England next round. Nothing better than a win against England, really. :P

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:15:07

Regardless of whether or not keeping the ball in the corner was an act of 'genius' on strategic grounds, it was still stupid to watch. Maybe it's because I watch England games with my snark ability turned up, so I'm less interested in that side of things. I'm seriously out of national anthem jokes right now, geez.

I'll go with the Americans really deserving of the no.1 spot (lol at Clinton's 'reaction' to Dempsey's offside in the Algeria game). Now, take the evening off, crack the booze out and enjoy the Group D deciders...

Second round should be even more interesting :D

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:15:55

At 6/23/10 12:14 PM, Auz wrote:
Obviously it was the most clever thing to do in their situation, but the fact that England reverts to such tactics against fucking Slovenia is a bit embarrassing in my opinion.

Well a win is a win so I don't think they would mind.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:17:00

At 6/23/10 12:12 PM, Malachy wrote: A couple of mess ups are expected when you don't have a 3D animation to show you if a guy is off sides like ESPN has.

It's pretty fucking stupid that they don't use video refereeing like in hockey. It would take like 15 second to see if there was a foul or offside. I have no idea why they don't do that, maybe it's because they're trying to uphold some stupid tradition.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:20:24

At 6/23/10 12:14 PM, Auz wrote: Obviously it was the most clever thing to do in their situation, but the fact that England reverts to such tactics against fucking Slovenia is a bit embarrassing in my opinion.

Its not a fucking strategy you fuckin idiot you failed to mention how it should of been 6-0 atleast and how we fucking trashed Slovenia we did that for the last 4 minutes just to maek the game safe in a competition of this magnitude. And for the record the world cup isnt the only time people play you shoulder muncher this happens all the time in the Premier league week in week out oh i forgot you dont know fuck all about football dont act like you know anything about football little boy

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:22:34

At 6/23/10 12:17 PM, AapoJoki wrote:

It's pretty fucking stupid that they don't use video refereeing like in hockey. It would take like 15 second to see if there was a foul or offside. I have no idea why they don't do that, maybe it's because they're trying to uphold some stupid tradition.

Yeah, kinda like how the japanese still kills whales and part of the reason was to "uphold their tradition" and they're practically the only one still hunting whales. Granted comparing whale hunting to lack of video refereeing was kind of dumb but you get what I mean.

Not long ago I wrote this. Kind of grinding a horse's bones for dessert but yeah.

Now the second stage is underway, it's going to be even tougher so who knows...

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:24:24

Viz had a pull-out 'COME ON ENGLAND' poster recently...

... and a sticky 'FUCK YOU' to stick to the top for non-English fans.

I love Viz.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:24:46

At 6/23/10 12:07 PM, CharltonChinchilla wrote: Yes common sense is really pathetic this is probably your first time ever watching football isnt it?

Yeah, in the 14 years I played football I always had my eyes closed.

Have you been paying any attention at all when you were posting in this topic? I've been here since page 1... =/
The stakes are too high why the fuck risk getting attacked on the break when we have a lead?

It's the fact that you got into such a situation in the first place.

Also Britain wasn't playing England was, i have no idea why that is so hard to grasp

... I have no idea why you would get pissed over me calling England 'the Brits' for just this one time. There's only one British country playing, so it's not like there can be any confusion whatsoever over this.

and if you get Germany they will fucking stomp you.

We can't get Germany until the final, but it is the final I'm hoping for ;)

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:26:52

Whew, so many things happening...

Congratulations to the Americans for the first place in the group. It was really deserved, they were superior the entire game, and if they hadn't qualified, everyone would blame the referees for the "stolen" goal against Slovenia.

And England deserved it as well. I've always said that Defoe was a great player, and there he is. Now... onto Germany or Ghana?

As for the replays in matches... it's been long discussed, and ever tried in some local championships here in Brazil, but it has always generated some polemic arguments. I don't see the problem with having a "video-referee" or anything like that...

And hopefully Germany will beat Ghana later today. Another African to bail out?

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:35:10

USA USA SCHWING!!!

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:35:30

At 6/23/10 12:20 PM, ProffesorCrumpets wrote: oh i forgot you dont know fuck all about football dont act like you know anything about football little boy

Ahahahah someone called me a little boy XD

At 6/23/10 12:20 PM, Elsid wrote:
At 6/23/10 12:14 PM, Auz wrote: the fact that England reverts to such tactics against fucking Slovenia is a bit embarrassing in my opinion.
But fair enough really, and not pathetic. More important to get through than to worry about looking good and not being embarrassing.

Alright. Maybe pathetic wasn't the right word, but you gotta admit that this is not what you English people like to see from your country ;) I mean surely you must've expected a comfortable 3-0 victory or something. And before the WC started, you must've expected England would dominate this group and end up with 9 points out of 3.

Those were my expectations for England at least, and I can't imagine you guys are that proud of your team right now.

At 6/23/10 12:14 PM, Haggard wrote: England is part of Britain, so what's wrong with saying "the brits" when talking about England?
Well it just doesn't take into account how different the peoples of the different countries of Britain are.

I suppose they are different, but come on... there's only one British country in the WC so there can't be any confusion and I didn't expect I would offend any English people by calling them Brits...

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:36:37

At 6/23/10 12:32 PM, andhination wrote: English scraped a win

Hardly, ignoring our shaky start and slovenia pulling back in the last 10-15 minutes we were all over the ball and had loads of good chances at goal. We deserved that win.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:39:14

At 6/23/10 12:14 PM, Haggard wrote: England is part of Britain, so what's wrong with saying "the brits" when talking about England?

Is that a serious question? I'd imagine that you'd find some very angry responses from Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish people on that topic. It's like clumping Germany and Poland together as Europeans. Even though they're technically neighbours, we all know how that worked out the last time the two were put together.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:39:51

At 6/23/10 12:20 PM, Elsid wrote:
At 6/23/10 12:14 PM, Haggard wrote: "Common sense" is "let's score another goal to secure this win."
Well since scoring a goal is harder than just keeping it away from the opposition, risky in terms of losing posession and reasonably unlikely I wouldn't say it is 'common sense'. I mean whichever they did would be fair enough really.

It still looks pathetic, especially for a team like England. Seriously, with players like Rooney, Cole, Gerrad, Lampard... it should be possible to get a higher score than a mere 1-0.

It's not too hard to have some players at the back that can stop a counter attack.
Why risk it though? There's still a chance they will score, whereas there isn't if they are kept from posession.

The defenders could still get a hold of the ball and start a counter attack, even if the opposing team tries to keep posession of the ball.

England is part of Britain, so what's wrong with saying "the brits" when talking about England?
Well it just doesn't take into account how different the peoples of the different countries of Britain are.

When I was in the UK (England and Scotland to be more precise) I didn't notice that much of a difference between the people.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:49:26

At 6/23/10 12:39 PM, liljim wrote:
Is that a serious question?

Well, for me there's "Great Britain", which consits of England, Scotland and Wales (and Northern Ireland is somehow connected to this as well). For me the term "brits" describes the people of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Also, you have the Union Flag in your sig, so I guess you wouldn't feel upset if I call you a Brit, right? ;)

I'd imagine that you'd find some very angry responses from Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish people on that topic.

Last time I used the term "Brits" in a forum that is frequented by mostly Scots I didn't get any angry responses.
I would propably be banned though if I used the term "english people" to adress users there. XD

It's like clumping Germany and Poland together as Europeans.

I don't have any problems with that. :P
Also, I think there's a huge difference between "The United Kingdom" and "Europe". ;)

Even though they're technically neighbours, we all know how that worked out the last time the two were put together.

Eh? There are lots of polish people in Germany (and some polish descendant people play for the german national team right now) and I don't hear many complaints from either side. :P

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:51:18

At 6/23/10 12:39 PM, liljim wrote:
Is that a serious question? I'd imagine that you'd find some very angry responses from Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish people on that topic. It's like clumping Germany and Poland together as Europeans. Even though they're technically neighbours, we all know how that worked out the last time the two were put together.

I would ask the same question actually. I think almost anyone outside of the UK would not have guessed that anyone inside of UK would be offended when you call them Brits or British. Or by calling just the English people "British".

The difference with Germany and Poland is that they are clearly separate countries these days, whereas Northern-Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England are almost always called Great-Britain or the UK unless it is absolutely relevant to call them otherwise. Which in this case it wasn't really, because there couldn't be any confusion anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:52:17

At 6/23/10 12:35 PM, Auz wrote: Those were my expectations for England at least, and I can't imagine you guys are that proud of your team right now.

I think we're glad they managed to address what was wrong since the incredibly dire Algeria game, and that we actually managed to get into the second round. As much as they deserved to be up by my goals against Slovenia, at least they managed that. We're usually good at taking what we can because we're always so glad that the tension's over... for now.

But yes, I think most of us expected to thrash the group, especially the, erm, tabloid contingent, as has been established in this thread previously. Perhaps a hiccup against the USA, but let's admit it, Algeria weren't a dominant force bar a few gasps and while Slovenia showed some skill (I'm pleased as punch that they didn't have a repeat of '02), we know that the England team shouldn't have had trouble with them going off their club play.

They should keep that in mind,but not dwell on it, because as a lowly English guy, this is the worst (off-pitch) thing about England in the World Cup. They know they have the skill. They can't afford to waste it now. That said, the tournament is still wide open - it's going to be good watching.

I suppose they are different, but come on... there's only one British country in the WC so there can't be any confusion and I didn't expect I would offend any English people by calling them Brits...

Don't worry, you haven't.

I'm as confused as you if I'm wrong.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:52:39

Lol, the English are never happy. We were great for most of the game, especially in the first half. We should have had three or four at least.

Generally we pick up in the knockout stages and we typically play better football. And we're going to have to if we play the Germans. But nevertheless, I'm not disappointed with that game.

GT - LedgeyNG, Steam - Ledgey91, PSN - LedgeyNG

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:54:35

At 6/23/10 12:52 PM, Scarab wrote: Don't worry, you haven't.

I'm as confused as you if I'm wrong.

Keeping in mind I'm relating this to World Cup '10 football fandom. Politics can, erm, fuck off in this thread.

No IRA related chants please.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:55:06

At 6/23/10 12:15 PM, Scarab wrote: Regardless of whether or not keeping the ball in the corner was an act of 'genius' on strategic grounds, it was still stupid to watch.

Holding ball in corner is really fucking retarded and counter-productive in 99% of situations if your team is remotely competent, that said, our only central threat was Emile Heskey, so I condone keeping it there.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:56:33

At 6/23/10 12:49 PM, Haggard wrote: Well, for me there's "Great Britain", which consits of England, Scotland and Wales (and Northern Ireland is somehow connected to this as well). For me the term "brits" describes the people of Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Yes, it does. But it doesn't describe the teams of the different countries in the UK. Calling the English supporters "Brits" in this instance is comparative to calling Bayern Munich "Germans" in a European cup match, where Bayer Leverkusen might also be playing.

Also, you have the Union Flag in your sig, so I guess you wouldn't feel upset if I call you a Brit, right? ;)

Nope, it's just context I was getting at.

Eh? There are lots of polish people in Germany

I was making a snide joke about the invasion of Poland in World War II. :-P

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-23 12:59:00

At 6/23/10 12:51 PM, Auz wrote: The difference with Germany and Poland is that they are clearly separate countries these days, whereas Northern-Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England are almost always called Great-Britain or the UK unless it is absolutely relevant to call them otherwise. Which in this case it wasn't really, because there couldn't be any confusion anyway.

Actually, that's my very point. It IS relevant to call them otherwise in competitive matches like the World Cup, because they're all competing as DIFFERENT teams. I can guarantee you that there won't be many Scottish people routing for England, despite the English and Scottish being "Brits".