00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

warvester just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2010 Fifa World Cup Thread

124,911 Views | 2,892 Replies

2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 14:16:04

Since we're only five days away from the World Cup, I thought I should create an "official" thread so the football (soccer) fans can discuss about it on NG.

This will be the first World Cup held at the African continent, and there are many expectations on how this will turn out. There are still some problems with the stadiums, and we already had a few incidents, like this recent one. Hopefully nothing bad happens during the WC.

As for favourite teams, Spain has been the most commented team, although Argentina, Netherlands, England, Brazil... they have pretty strong teams as well. And we have some pretty interesting matches in the qualifying groups. England vs. USA is probably the most interesting one, but look forward to Brazil vs. Portugal, Italy vs. Paraguay, Ivory Coast vs. Portugal / Brazil...

So, what are your expectations? Which nation are you cheering for, and who do you think will win this one? Only a few days left until it starts, I can't wait for it!

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 14:19:12

Is there not a football club?

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 14:21:09

The Netherlands definitely deserve to win this time. They've had some bad luck the last few times.

PENALTIE...MIS, PENALTIE... MIS. FRANK DE BOER, FRANK DE BOER.

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!

Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.

Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 14:23:59

Finally someone creates an official topic for it. I remember in former years, topics like these were already around weeks before the start of the tournament.

Anyway, I'm obviously cheering for the Netherlands, because that's where I come from. Whether they'll win the tournament I don't know. I saw there was a big chance we would face Brazil in the quarter finals, so that's gonna be tricky.

I'd put my money on Spain, Germany or Brazil to win this tournament. Spain due to them winning the EC two years ago and having a very good in general. Germany and Brazil have a good chance by default.

Most interesting match in the group stage is Brazil - Portugal in my opinion. For the rest England - USA is kinda fun, but the other matches don't look so interesting on paper. I think things will really start to get interesting from the quarter finals onwards.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 14:27:28

France and Italy have a better chance than Argentina, Brazil aren't gonna fucking win. Dunga can't coach for shit, no Ronaldinho or Adriano is just fucking stupid. Brazil will probably go out at the Quarters again. Spain I think could win it, Netherlands the loss of Robben is massive I'm not sure they'll be able to win without him. Germany have pretty much no chance with about five of their players being injured. I'd say it's down to either Spain, France, Italy or England.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 14:36:21

At 6/6/10 02:27 PM, LampFace wrote: Netherlands the loss of Robben is massive I'm not sure they'll be able to win without him.

It's still not known how serious his injury is. Maybe he'll only miss some matches in the group stage. We can win the matches in the group stage without him.
Anyway, i have a feeling that this could be the year for The Netherlands. I really hope so.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 14:37:25

At 6/6/10 02:27 PM, LampFace wrote: Netherlands the loss of Robben is massive I'm not sure they'll be able to win without him.

Yes, Robben is an important player, but we still got three other players with very similar qualities. Those being van der Vaart, Sneijder and van Persie. Still, I'd rather have Robben than Dirk Kuyt though. Kuyt doesn't really fit with the other offenders in my opinion and becomes nearly invisible when van der Wiel is playing.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:27:44

Few more days left! :D

I'm cheering for the Netherlands this time (hope Robben can get fit on time), Snejider, Robben, Van Persie, and van der Vaart in one squad is just amazing!

But as usual the favorites are Brazil, Germany and Spain (even though they have been less than impressive in their last few friendlies) and as for England? Even though they got a great manager, Capello, and a great squad, they won't get past the quarter finals my prediction?

Semi Finals
Brazil 1 - 2 Netherlands
Spain 3- 2Germany

Final
Netherlands 2 - 1 Spain.

Hope I'm right!

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:30:12

At 6/6/10 02:36 PM, Mussirus wrote:
It's still not known how serious his injury is. Maybe he'll only miss some matches in the group stage. We can win the matches in the group stage without him.
Anyway, i have a feeling that this could be the year for The Netherlands. I really hope so.

Yep, you can win your group for sure without him, but if he is injured for good, I don't think they'll be able to do it.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:34:21

Argentina are my favorites. Even if they have useless Maradona as a coach they still have amazing forwards in Milito and Messi. I think they are severely underrated and are going to surprise many people. The Netherlands were another one of my favorites, but with the injury to Robben, who knows? I just hope someone stupid like Germany doesn't win with their ugly style of play. It's time for Argentina to hoist the trophy again.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:36:09

At 6/6/10 02:16 PM, Sir-Nuts wrote: As for favourite teams, Spain has been the most commented team, although Argentina, Netherlands, England, Brazil...

Argentina is not that good IMO. Also, if my country (Uruguay) comes out second in the A group we'll probably play against Argentina. I'm really looking forward to that match :)

At 6/6/10 02:19 PM, iateamexican wrote: Is there not a football club?

Yes, but there is an American football club and there was an official Super bowl thread a while ago.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:36:46

Shit sucks, Turkey didn't qualify this time (just like in '06 hhnngg). I live in Germany, but I think I'll be rooting for the titleholder, Italy. I remember how pissed people were when Germany got kicked out by Italy in the semi-finals last time. Was cool back then, heheh.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:36:52

I'm gutted that Drogba may miss the World cup, especially as he is a big influence out in South Africa and of course his own country (forget his somewhat bad football tactics), and I think it would be horrible for him to miss what will most likely be his last World Cup.

Same goes for Michael Ballack with Germany. Sure England and Germany have quite the rival when it comes to national games and while it's a good thing for us England, I still think it's a shame that he will be missing what again will most likely have been his last World Cup.

Also Mikel out and Robben out. Sure I know Robben doesn't play for Chelsea now, but it is just like a curse to Chelsea players at the moment. All we need now is John Terry and Frank Lampard to get injured and we're fucked.

Moving on from the negative stuff, I am really looking forward to this World Cup. I've always enjoyed the tournament but never like a lot, and I feel that passion now and watching the new England single on Britains Got Talent last night I actually felt really up for it. Of course England will get knocked out in the quaters or semis but I just hope we do well still in gameplay.

Penalties anyone?

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:39:02

At 6/6/10 03:30 PM, LampFace wrote:
At 6/6/10 02:36 PM, Mussirus wrote:
Yep, you can win your group for sure without him, but if he is injured for good, I don't think they'll be able to do it.

Even though Robben is a very good player, I don't think he'll be the main reason Netherlands fail to win if he's out injured, remeber in the Cl Final? He didn't really do as much as everyone predicted he'd do, he's good, but not a game changer, Netherlands have ton's of quality players.

Maybe Netherlands won't be as destructive without Robben, but they'd still have enough power and experience to win the World cup.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:45:04

Let's go boys .. !

~¥%¥%+oint##so soft ¤%% ++-%¥-~-^->

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:45:52

Hey Nuts, we're both Brazilian, huh. Are you cheering for Brazil??

My heart is Argentina!!! GO MESSI!!

Hey you, looking for fun? Join the Elite Guard Barracks

Signature by CagedSilhouette!!

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:47:04

Meh, Messi shit when playing for Argentine, I doubt Messi would be able to do anything without his midget minions Xavi and Iniesta.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:49:00

At 6/6/10 02:37 PM, Auz wrote:
Yes, Robben is an important player, but we still got three other players with very similar qualities. Those being van der Vaart, Sneijder and van Persie. Still, I'd rather have Robben than Dirk Kuyt though. Kuyt doesn't really fit with the other offenders in my opinion and becomes nearly invisible when van der Wiel is playing.

It'd be awesome to watch Argentina vs. Netherlands in the final.

Is Robben going to play?? I heard he can play, but I don't think so... But, anyways, Netherlands has a great team, Der Vaar is my fav. player in the team.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:50:54

At 6/6/10 03:47 PM, Cochises wrote: Meh, Messi shit when playing for Argentine, I doubt Messi would be able to do anything without his midget minions Xavi and Iniesta.

Agreed, but, I think he'll play well in the WC. But, anyways, Argentina has other players, such as Veron and Diego Milito, wich won the UEFA, so, he'll be motivated.

Anyone disagree??

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:52:45

I think it's funny how since NATO is around Europe can't fight itself like in the old days

So they just settle everything with Soccer.

France vs Spain
England vs France
Germany vs France

Just like the wars of the past

Except now France can actually win

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:55:32

At 6/6/10 03:50 PM, Victory wrote:
At 6/6/10 03:47 PM, Cochises wrote: Meh, Messi shit when playing for Argentine, I doubt Messi would be able to do anything without his midget minions Xavi and Iniesta.
Mate, he dribbles around world class defenders for fun.

I don't recall him doing anything against Lucio, Samuel, Maicon, Zanetti, Cambiasso or Chivu >:(

Watch all of Messi's matches while playing for Argentine, then watch him playing with Barcelona, compare them and tell me what's the difference.
If your answer doesn't have Xavi or Iniesta in them, then I'll shoot myself.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 15:57:12

At 6/6/10 03:52 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
Germany vs France

Germany is my third fav. team in the Cup. They have strong chances on winning, they have a great team... Let's watch their games...

Also, I have AWESOME news. I'll watch all the games in HD! (Except the morning ones, since I'll be at school...) :|

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 16:00:10

At 6/6/10 03:57 PM, RogerBK wrote: Also, I have AWESOME news. I'll watch all the games in HD! (Except the morning ones, since I'll be at school...) :|

Lucky! I don't even know where / how to watch the games yet. Hopefully I'll be able to find some channel or internet stream that shows them. I'll be traveling a lot during the cup too so I will have to find different solutions.

Overall I'm rooting for Holland, Japan and Korea (South of course .. there is no other Korea to me).

~¥%¥%+oint##so soft ¤%% ++-%¥-~-^->

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 16:03:21

At 6/6/10 03:58 PM, Victory wrote:
At 6/6/10 03:55 PM, Cochises wrote: I don't recall him doing anything against Lucio, Samuel, Maicon, Zanetti, Cambiasso or Chivu >:(
Well it's a task made difficult if you're playing against Mourinho-style eleven men behind the ball.

Mourinho's a genius, you guys might play pretty football (although I find it very boring seeing them pass the ball to another for 10 minutes) Mourinho's Inter played to win.

Your Guardiola might have slick techniques in team playing, Mourinho's got smart techniques in defending his home fort ( 8 Years and counting withought losing a single league game at home) and in the end, getting the trophy!

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 16:14:50

At 6/6/10 04:09 PM, Victory wrote: I didn't say I disapproved of eleven behind the ball, in fact I quite like the idea of playing out a one nil victory and being totally impossible to break down.

Pfft it got us (Chelsea) damn well hated. At least the media saw this as another reason to take digs at us for bad football.

But yes Mourinho is a credit to the sport and damn well entertaining.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 16:25:51

At 6/6/10 03:36 PM, Ismael92 wrote: Argentina is not that good IMO. Also, if my country (Uruguay) comes out second in the A group we'll probably play against Argentina. I'm really looking forward to that match :)

Honestly I have a few friends from Uruguay. They all seem to think Argentina are over-rated. To be honest it would be unfair even comparing Uruguay to the likes of Argentina alone based on sheer player power:

Messi = Questionably the worlds best play
Mascherano = Questionably the best CDM player
Di Maria = Seems to score the goals when it counts.

With this calbar some people think Argentina may win the world cup.

Whilst Uruguay have only 1 player who has proven himself as a good player in my books that being:

DIEGO FORLAN

However Uruguay have proven to be a strong team unit in qualifying and they did pull off some surprising results. This said I cant see them getting past the quarter finals if they are lucky.

Also please don't assume they will make it past there group. We all know France are the favorite for group A. But i wouldn't rule out Mexico giving Uruguay some challenge though they don't have much strength in terms as player power as i would like. They always seem to do well recently at the world cup. Look at them in 2006. Sadly I can't see the hosts SA coming out of this group.

In terms of who will win the world cup
I would like it to be England (me being english). And i'm optimistic we can make it to the semis. Recently we have a habit of getting results even when top players don't turn up. The feel to the team is different than 4 years ago. We have an Italian manager and our team seems to be better at grinding out results.

I feel the favorite side for me though has to be either Spain or Germany. In terms of sheer stats Spain are most certainly the best team to this day. Forget about Brazil and Argentina look at Spain's record against arguably better clubs than Paraguay! HAHA

I also feel the Germans also outperform there expectations on the grandest stage of them all. I always see them getting to Finals. However the stats probably disagree with me anowncing Germany as world cup favorites.

This Sig is better than yours!

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 16:26:05

At 6/6/10 04:24 PM, andhination wrote:
Psh, as if everyone didn't hate you anyway.

I hope you're hating on Man City too then.`

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 16:32:20

At 6/6/10 04:29 PM, andhination wrote:

=

If you saw me at the match when we're playing Man City, you would not use the term hate, as it is nowhere near strong enough.
You guys are just rich and have lampard.
They're rich manc prats who stole Lescott and also they're just generally stuckup pricks.

The best part is, we bought Lampard before we got the billions.

And yes I do find them rather stuck up now, I guess this is the problem when you come into a lot of money very quickly.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 16:34:34

Messi doesn't play in Argentina as nhe plays in Barcelona, but I saw a LOT of goals he scored without any help of Xavi or Iniesta, that goal he dribbled the whole team was awesome, he [lays awesomely, and I think he'll be the best player of the Cup.

Also, we are talking on a World Cup, huh?? The whole team will be motivated to play awesomely, it's time to Argentina SHINE!!

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-06 16:39:50

GO CHELSEA!!

Also, I think Uruguai has a great team, I watched their games, and they're pretty strong...

I also like Paraguay, they are very good, and people augh at them, I don't know why. Paraguay have potential to win a World Cup, but, sometimes, they simply play as bad as Hell...

BBS Signature