New Topic Respond to this Topic
KayaKure
KayaKure
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-09-01 10:44:02 Reply

I have been busy to day with the art, so.. Heres another one for the day - I can feel it's been easier to make what I want to make - and that's an awesome feeling! I may have improved :)

I wanted to do something, quick! So I made this woman, with big cheeks - as you can see, with a lot of smudge! And I know people said that I should only use brush, but.. I want to be a rebel, so.. I only use smudge (.. of course besides of the colors I have brushed on ;)). I really want to learn some day, how to make the art look awesome only with brush, but I guess I never gonna learn it..

She took me about an 1 - 1½ hour to make, and I'm satisfied with the result!

But peeps on NG, what do you think of my quick work? Am I improve, or just hopeless?

Sorry for the bad English

- Kaya Kure

Feedback, how to improve?

DemocracyFTW
DemocracyFTW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-09-01 12:00:23 Reply

This is quite an improvement. compare your first post to this one. I'd say you have improved quite a bit. I'd like to see your work on pencil and paper.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night
look at my pictures
look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature
Ne7ers
Ne7ers
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-09-01 14:32:55 Reply

Try not to start work on a white canvas, ideally you want to be working on a near mid tone, this will give your images more depth.

KayaKure
KayaKure
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-09-02 01:16:53 Reply

At 9/1/10 02:32 PM, Ne7ers wrote: Try not to start work on a white canvas, ideally you want to be working on a near mid tone, this will give your images more depth.

Thanks for the advice, I will try it on my next work - and see how I can work with it :) Thanks for you time to give some feedback! :D

KayaKure
KayaKure
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-09-14 18:23:07 Reply

Hi guys!
This one took me about 3½ hours, and I'm satisfied with the result :)

I tried to illustrated a lot of feelings a poor teenage girl could have - Can you see which I have tried to? (Just to check how my skills are to show feelings are)
- And just because the title name is "Virgin" doesn't that mean that is the only "feeling" she have! :)

And.. Do it look realistic? I now that most people think that I should't use smudge as much as I do (I form the whole pictures from some colors - I smudge in form) but.. I like work that way, I could learn to draw awesome the "right" way another time :). Personally I like these result I get, and it is not look the same way as so many other illustrations does. :)

Sorry for the bad English :)
- Kaya Kure

KayaKure
KayaKure
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-11-21 03:29:00 Reply

Hi guys!

Haven't posted something in the forum in a while now! I hope you can see some improvements from my last post!

I know I still nearly only use smudge, but I kinda like draw this way - But I still want to learn draw different also! I can't make something surrealistic, like manga or toony' chars' - or envirements. Which I have to learn if I will start on that school I'm dieing for join!

But this is a self portrait, it took me about 5 hours - the hair and the skin could use more work, but I just couldn't make it work /:

Hop you guys like it any way, and please comment :)
Sorry for the bad English :)

Love Kaya

(This is a compressed version)

ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-11-21 03:53:29 Reply

Hey there, you have a very unique and visually interesting color style :)

In order to offer you advice, is there something particular you're dissatisfied with in regards to what you're doing, or something you want to try focusing on?

Looking at your self portrait, the one thing standing out to me is your eyes (in the drawing) are slightly close together. I went to your site (hope you don't mind) to check if your eyes were naturally closer together than most, but they don't appear to be. A simple rule of thumb with eyes is to leave enough room between them for a third eye.

Like I said though, I find your art style fascinating and refreshing. It has a certain fluid and energetic quality to it.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
KayaKure
KayaKure
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-11-21 08:11:01 Reply

At 11/21/10 03:53 AM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Hey there, you have a very unique and visually interesting color style :)

In order to offer you advice, is there something particular you're dissatisfied with in regards to what you're doing, or something you want to try focusing on?

Looking at your self portrait, the one thing standing out to me is your eyes (in the drawing) are slightly close together. I went to your site (hope you don't mind) to check if your eyes were naturally closer together than most, but they don't appear to be. A simple rule of thumb with eyes is to leave enough room between them for a third eye.

Like I said though, I find your art style fascinating and refreshing. It has a certain fluid and energetic quality to it.

First thanks for you words about my style - I get a lot of critic for my style actually - So it's awesome to get some positive words instead :)

Well, basically I want to be better in general - but there is always some spots i try to avoid when I make a drawing - often the backgrounds, perspective or an full body piece. So these part would I love to improve. But also will I really like to draw (as I said in my post) things like manga - dragons and other fantasy creatures. But every time I try, I hate what I see on the screen, so I just start over with something I can draw - things like the self portrait :)

Thanks for notice! I haven't seen that my self! And I'm really critic over my work. I just know I could see something wrong, and that must be the eye thing! And thanks for the advice!

KayaKure
KayaKure
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2012-12-03 15:22:19 Reply

So long time no seen..
I got motivated to revisit my art thread.. So here is some of my newest work. I had done alot since the last post (see it in my gallery if interested)

Ofc I still want to improve, so here is it.. Somebody got some constructive feedback? :)

This piece I did for a friend to some cover art for his new track :)

Luwano
Luwano
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2012-12-09 00:48:49 Reply

At 12/3/12 03:22 PM, KayaKure wrote: So long time no seen..
I got motivated to revisit my art thread.. So here is some of my newest work. I had done alot since the last post (see it in my gallery if interested)

Ofc I still want to improve, so here is it.. Somebody got some constructive feedback? :)

This piece I did for a friend to some cover art for his new track :)

Nice that you actually came back here, sorry for the late reply, seems like I missed when you bumped your thread.

As for the pic, I think the only thing it really lacks is some definition or I'd better say a more evenly distributed definition. For example the distant village and the closest, big rock are defined very well and you can see rather many small detail, while there are other parts like that pillar or pole in the right center, the characters body and above all his head that are undefined and kinda smudgy.

For my personal taste you could up the contrast even more. I mean add some brighter highlights, since the shadows seem dark enough already.

Since the light is coming from the huge planet, there should be some glow / light around those pillars and towers. It's basically backlighting where the center of an object is the darkest and it's lighter towards the edges.

All in all a nice piece. I hope you're not offended, but I have to ask. Did you paste parts of photos to get that rocky surface? Or is that a texture? I would be curious because it looks pretty good for the purpose.

BBS Signature