00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Feedback, how to improve?

3,788 Views | 37 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Feedback, how to improve? 2010-06-06 10:11:45

This is some art I have been working on lately.

For the first time I tried only to use my tablet (instead of scanning my "real" drawings, and work on them in PS)

I have used PS CS5.

I really want to learn to handle the PS better, and draw better.. Could somebody give me some feedback, to how to improve? :)

(Sorry for the bad English)

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-06-06 10:31:01

I think you should view more coloring tuts. There are quite plenty around the net, google it. But I think you can find loads of tutorials here.. Good luck on your way to become a better artist.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-06-06 10:54:26

Here is something else I also have worked on..
I just wanted to draw something quick, without too many details.

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-06-06 10:57:12

At 6/6/10 10:54 AM, KayaKure wrote: Here is something else I also have worked on..
I just wanted to draw something quick, without too many details.

I can say that there is some improvement on this pic. Keep it up.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-06-06 11:38:05

At 6/6/10 10:31 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: I think you should view more coloring tuts. There are quite plenty around the net, google it. But I think you can find loads of tutorials here.. Good luck on your way to become a better artist.

No! Bad!
Too many tuts to count on DA, finding a decent one is incredibly hard
This is a good one on shading and lightsources
And I fucking love these cartoonish anatomytutorials

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-06-06 12:35:40

At 6/6/10 11:38 AM, M-Vero wrote: No! Bad!
Too many tuts to count on DA, finding a decent one is incredibly hard
This is a good one on shading and lightsources
And I fucking love these cartoonish anatomytutorials

I found this guy through DA. His technique is great. Watch it.

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-06-06 15:24:46

I had looked at the links you all gave me, thx!

And then i tried again, this time with a known characther - Cubone.
I guess the shadows of my art is improved a bit.

Also I tried not to make outlines, not a good result, but.. still..

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-06-06 18:22:02

I actually really like this one, it's simple and a little sloppy, but it's appealing, almost like a kids book illustration, a little cleaning and smoothing the shading a bit and this'll look really nice

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-06-06 18:43:52

At 6/6/10 06:29 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Looking at your three pieces, and your coloring specifically, I see a common beginners mistake with coloring and that's being afraid to have bold contrasts of brightness and darkness. People aiming for realism often (inaccurately) make too many variations of the same color and the coloring ends up looking "muddy". You need to use extreme darks, in the case of shadow, or extreme lights, in the case of highlights, to give your edges hard definitions. Otherwise, it kind of looks 'puffy'.

I agree with M-Vero in that your latest piece, the Cubone, seems to be a significant improvement from the other two.

On a side note, what program are you exporting these in, and how? There seems to be some artifactS and general size degradation. When preparing your image for the forums, it's best to resize it first in your image editor rather than letting the uploaded do it because when the uploader does it it always seems to me like it loses a bit of quality.

Thx, you comment is really helpfull for me :)
(and thx to M-Vero to ;))
I will try that with the extreme colours on my next drawing. :) - But I have tried it before, and when I make it, it also seem so wrong, and when I look at some of the pictures in the art portal, it look so.. right? But, I just need some skills, I guess.. ;)..

Actually, I have been working on one more, this day.. I have just finished it.. It's really nice to see how the advise improve over just one day..

Again a known characther - Hello Kitty.. As a demon ;)

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-06-07 06:22:56

Now I'm back again, and this time I have tried to make the shaddows in "ekstreme" colours. (the chikin isn't well doned, I just want'ed to "play" with the shaddows:))

There is someting, really wrong about it.. But what? And how can I do it better?

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-06-07 11:32:24

At 6/7/10 06:22 AM, KayaKure wrote: There is someting, really wrong about it.. But what? And how can I do it better?

It's the shadows. You have shadows coming in from different places.
There's a shadow coming from the top, and then there's a shadow coming from the bottom and it just gets too busy.
I say only have the shading on the top. So the darker pink on the head and the darker pink of the beak. Clear out all the rest of the shading.

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-02 19:09:37

I have tried again to work with the shaddows.

what could I do better and improve, and what have actually succeeded for me?

.. Again.. sorry for the bad English :)

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-02 19:12:45

This one is quite nice. Fill in her face though, because I really like it.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-19 16:09:32

This is my newest work, it's supposed to be a lonely ballerina..

I know the hands looks just awful, but how do it look, and what could I do better? It's a quick one, I think I spend about 2 hours on it, so I know there is not a lot of details.

I'm not good at char' design jet, but I practice at it :)

Sorry for the bad English :)

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-19 16:25:39

woah thats pretty good her dress is really well done

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-19 16:42:34

At 8/19/10 04:09 PM, KayaKure wrote: This is my newest work, it's supposed to be a lonely ballerina..

I know the hands looks just awful, but how do it look, and what could I do better? It's a quick one, I think I spend about 2 hours on it, so I know there is not a lot of details.

Try to stay away from the smudge tool; its better to just put in those shades manually with a brush.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-20 08:56:33

Try to stay away from the smudge tool; its better to just put in those shades manually with a brush.

Thx, I will try that next time, just to see how it will work for me, cause the "smudging" is on a way a part of an style I try to make. :)

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-20 09:26:09

sajdhsjdh what the fuuuuck how did you get so much better in the space of 2 months!?

Jesus thats impressive. The anatomy of the ballerina is pretty sick, way better than i could even hope to achieve. But as said earlier, the smudging looks a bit odd. I'd stay away from the smudge tool personally.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned, and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-20 09:50:28

At 8/20/10 09:26 AM, Danopus wrote: sajdhsjdh what the fuuuuck how did you get so much better in the space of 2 months!?

Jesus thats impressive. The anatomy of the ballerina is pretty sick, way better than i could even hope to achieve. But as said earlier, the smudging looks a bit odd. I'd stay away from the smudge tool personally.

Well, I have pratice the most of the holiday, I just want to be good at this.. Actually, is this the only pictures I made in the time (except for 2 quick sketches), and I am pretty proud.. But I'm just not good enough jet!

But thanks :D.

My next one will be with out so much smudging.. Actually, the whole picture i made from smudging. :), so it would be a challenge, but I will do everything to get better :)

Sorry for bad english :)

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-20 10:25:42

I'm going to drop a bomb on you, hold on to your hat.

The main problem in all the paintings is the flatness of them. The forms aren't rendered correctly. The colors are very narrow in saturation, light/dark, everything. This you can better by doing things like still lifes and such. I have the perfect thread you could read for this: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthr ead.php?t=107217

You can brows around on that forum, they have great stuff on there.

You also need to improve your anatomy greatly. I don't know if you have studied anatomy at all so far. But this is very important! I suggest you download a PDF of "Figure drawing by Andrew Loomis" and draw everything, read everything, learn everything. But remember: you can keep studying anatomy until you die before you master it, so don't worry if you don't get it right away. I've studied anatomy for years and I still haven't got everything, faaar from it. But make it a habit of studying these things.

Set up a schedule that you follow every day.
Eg. Monday - still life and anatomy from loomis Tuesday - Portraits from photos and drawing muscles from bodybuilders.

Fill that schedule with important things, and follow it everyday . or as often as possible and make no excuses.

Art is difficult and weird as it is, people think that you can just keep on drawing the same things and eventually you'll get it. It doesn't work like that. There's technical things behind art as well. You need to know the rules before you can break them. So things like style comes eventually, don't care about that stuff at all in the beginning.

Hope this helps. Take care!

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-20 10:34:06

Actually if you want help with something sometime, just shoot away an email to me and I'll try to help you out the best I can.

loathie@hotmail.com

It's always fun to help people :)

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-20 11:09:43

These look amazing, keep up the good work! Reading the thread your drawings really seem to improve from one to the next. Do you use a wacom tablet or any kind of tablet or just a mouse?

Remember when video games had points? Mothers Day 2011

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-21 01:42:17

At 8/20/10 10:25 AM, Loath-some wrote: I'm going to drop a bomb on you, hold on to your hat.

(I could reply to all the text in your quote, so I just took the first line :))
Thanks for your time to explain it so well to me, I really appreciate this. It's some feedback I could use to something, and I will definitely use the mail if I need help another time. :)

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-22 16:57:01

Hi again guys! :)

I have tried to make a new one now, and this is how it ended - I guess it's ended okay. First I tried not to use "smudge" but it were just to hard for me not to. But.. I didn't use it very much - many parts its made just by brush *proud*

Do I improve, or am I just hopeless? /:

I have used about 3½ hour on it, and I could do some more about this, but.. I not feel that I have more time to it :)

Hope you like it anyways :)

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-22 17:08:20

Hmm, it would be better if it had more warm colors, but thats just my opinion. Oh, her shoulder blades should be shaded differently. The back isn't flat color.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-31 05:53:55

This is something I have made for my brother, as a present for his graduation. It's inspired of some danish art of the zodiac "Libra".

I have used about 4½ hour on it, and it seems to that I just can't get the result I wanted. But, I hope my brother likes it anyway. :)

And I hope you guys like it to! Give me a little feedback please - what is it I do wrong/good?

Sorry for the bad English - and have a nice day!

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-31 08:11:44

Bloody hell, I approve! You've gotten very very good very very quickly, only advice left to give is KEEP ON PRACTICING :)

The Game.

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-08-31 21:48:19

as the above poster said you have improved in a short period of time, congrats looking forward to more of your art.

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-09-01 05:25:29

Thanks guys! I'm practicing all i can! AND! I'm already "done" with a new one!

This one took me about 4½ hour, and I'm working on a bagground where she lying on a big rock/stone of a kind. But backgrounds is not my special, so that will properly take me 4-5 hours, so I will wait with that part - in the meantime I want to hear your opinion about the character I already are done with?

The idea of the illustrations, is to show the bride to be's that they are killing them self with all the planing of the "Big day" - Instead of stressing around, they should chill and enjoy the love of their live - It's all what it's about with a wedding - or?
I'm a girl - and of course I am exiting about MY big day, but I hope that I will survive, and the relationship to.

But what do you guys think about it? Please give some feedback :)

Sorry for the bad English

- Kaya Kure

Response to Feedback, how to improve? 2010-09-01 10:44:02

I have been busy to day with the art, so.. Heres another one for the day - I can feel it's been easier to make what I want to make - and that's an awesome feeling! I may have improved :)

I wanted to do something, quick! So I made this woman, with big cheeks - as you can see, with a lot of smudge! And I know people said that I should only use brush, but.. I want to be a rebel, so.. I only use smudge (.. of course besides of the colors I have brushed on ;)). I really want to learn some day, how to make the art look awesome only with brush, but I guess I never gonna learn it..

She took me about an 1 - 1½ hour to make, and I'm satisfied with the result!

But peeps on NG, what do you think of my quick work? Am I improve, or just hopeless?

Sorry for the bad English

- Kaya Kure