00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

(talk) Robotday 2010 writers

6,946 Views | 114 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

(talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-05 14:10:52

figured I'd make this discussion thread now in efforts to keep things tidy.

heres a place to jot down your ideas and maybe get feedback on them before submitting them to RobotDay 2010 writer's competition thread that should be going up shortly.

heres's the place you talk about your ideas, get advice or maybe publicly state you are interested in doing one of the submission etc.

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-05 14:13:28

Remember, finished submissions go HERE

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-05 15:19:49

This is awesome. I wanted to participate in Robot Day but I can't get at making a movie because I currently don't have Flash, and I wanted to try the art contest but it's impossible to compete with the artists here.

Just one question: What are the guidelines?

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-05 16:01:50

At 6/5/10 03:19 PM, Makeshift wrote:

From what I've gathered... have your work centre around Robots. Not simply include them but centre on them. If I'm wrong please someone correct me.

I would be rather interested in either helping someone by editing or giving suggestions (If I give suggestions a little bit of credit my way please? Editing not so much unless you feel like it), or perhaps even taking part in a Collab. I'm not sure about putting out my own individual story, as I'm still working on a pet project of mine, and it's already interrupted by the (Bi?) Monthly Writing Challenge for June.

Still, I hope this does well, as it seems excellent for integrating writers into the NG community as a whole.

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-05 16:06:02

At 6/5/10 04:01 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
From what I've gathered... have your work centre around Robots. Not simply include them but centre on them. If I'm wrong please someone correct me.

Well, that's obvious. I'm looking for Word Count guidelines and such . . .

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-05 16:35:48

i'm gonna combine this challenge with the MWC but i'm gonna give it my best shot

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-05 16:55:07

At 6/5/10 04:06 PM, Makeshift wrote:

Apologies. That I have no clue about. Perhaps it's still being discussed, or there really is no limits... though perhaps a minimum word limit should be instated.

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-05 17:07:32

Another project would stretch my creative limits too much, so I'll won't be writing.

Good luck to those sending their stuff in :)

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-05 17:38:33

At 6/5/10 04:06 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 6/5/10 04:01 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:

if you wanna post a novel go ahead, but it better be damn well interesting ;)

basically make it long enough to make it compelling but not to long as to bore your audience.

hope that helps.

actually.. if you are making a script the average animator doesn't animate over 5 minutes. so if you really need a limit, dont go over five minutes, or five script pages in length.

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-06 01:32:51

I've got plans to write a story about a young inventor who helped develop the world's first commercially available artificial intelligence machines. The effect is catastrophic (unsure what happens here, as of yet), but the inventor flees his home with what he believes to be the only truly successful machine he's invented, a prototype of the intelligence units before the speech module was integrated onto them. Essentially, this mute robot is an extension of himself, and, in communicating only through a series of gestures, it teaches him more about himself than he could learn on his own. It'll probably end up a dystopian gothic cyberpunk story, but with a rich, gooey feel good centre. Probably going to be a good 5-10,000 words.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-06 01:33:10

Two questions

#1: Is poetry OK?

#2: Are collaborations OK?

Just wondering ;)
Thanks.

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-06 01:34:47

P.S. By collaborations, I mean writers collaborating in making a story.

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-06 05:55:46

At 6/6/10 01:32 AM, WritersBlock wrote: Essentially, this mute robot is an extension of himself, and, in communicating only through a series of gestures, it teaches him more about himself than he could learn on his own. It'll probably end up a dystopian gothic cyberpunk story, but with a rich, gooey feel good centre. Probably going to be a good 5-10,000 words.

I'll admit here that that sounds amazing. I have a feeling you might end up over-writing it if you intend to make it slightly abstract or possibly slightly allegorical, but I think if you get a story in there above everything else, you'd have a really good thing going. The potential for light-heartedness is high too, like you say. It would probably leave a bad taste in the mouth to take something so negative away, but I don't know. Either way, I'm looking forward to some good stuff here.

I'm considering entering, if I can find the time to go through some ideas. Just to brainstorm/workshop a bit, I recently linked this painting elsewhere, but it jumped to mind when I saw this competition: Otto Dix's 'War Invalids Playing Cards'. I have a feeling this competition has potential for something of homage, yet so twisted and satirical at the same time. We'll see anyway, is there any way I could perhaps make something like that more relevant?

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-06 06:24:59

At 6/6/10 05:55 AM, Scarab wrote:
At 6/6/10 01:32 AM, WritersBlock wrote: Essentially, this mute robot is an extension of himself, and, in communicating only through a series of gestures, it teaches him more about himself than he could learn on his own. It'll probably end up a dystopian gothic cyberpunk story, but with a rich, gooey feel good centre. Probably going to be a good 5-10,000 words.
I'll admit here that that sounds amazing. I have a feeling you might end up over-writing it if you intend to make it slightly abstract or possibly slightly allegorical, but I think if you get a story in there above everything else, you'd have a really good thing going. The potential for light-heartedness is high too, like you say. It would probably leave a bad taste in the mouth to take something so negative away, but I don't know. Either way, I'm looking forward to some good stuff here.

Yeah, definitely, I'll have to keep those points in mind. Although my recent writings have been focussing upon trying to create genuine, real feeling situations, I also haven't written sci-fi for a while. I'm glad you like the idea. I'm trying to implement some stuff I've been studying in class, particularly with cultural studies and the gothic style. So hopefully I can push aside the allegorical overtones, and the overly sentimental themes should probably take to the background too. I guess isolation and the strong feeling of rejection will, by comparison, keep the sentiments sparse and relatively short lived.

I'm considering entering, if I can find the time to go through some ideas. Just to brainstorm/workshop a bit, I recently linked this painting elsewhere, but it jumped to mind when I saw this competition: Otto Dix's 'War Invalids Playing Cards'. I have a feeling this competition has potential for something of homage, yet so twisted and satirical at the same time. We'll see anyway, is there any way I could perhaps make something like that more relevant?

Well, I must say, that is one bizarre painting. I'm intrigued to see where you could go with it. I don't know the context, but I gather there's many different interpretations and extensions you could make upon this painting to conjure up an experimental writing piece. Good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-06 13:52:13

I'm going to post the idea that I have right now. Partly given to me from my friend Chris.

I will start the story with a toy assembly line. Something strange will get mixed into one line and a robot will be created. It will go to the shipping crew who will find this strange new "toy." They will reject it, and one of the workers will take it home. They'll put it up on eBay and then some old man will see a "mystery box" on eBay. He'll buy it and when it arrives at his house it bursts out of the box and causes much destruction... that's all I have for now. Remember this will be in semi-poem form so that could add to the enjoyability of reading it.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-06 14:13:00

OK, completely new ideas, gonna be a surprise, kk ttyl, lusm <3 bye. :3

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-07 10:52:09

I'm writing a short skit, involving a Robot "Talk Radio" station. Hopefully the characters could be voiced by some up and coming voice talent *ahem* and it could be animated suitably :P

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-07 15:17:04

Might I ask what we do if the story is too long to fit in a post in the submission thread? Do we use multiple posts or can we send a page link?

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-07 15:58:06

well, i'd like some critique on this :P, might throw it out and restart if u hate it, its how i work, i tried to be simplistic here

Something witty and smart, something like "Something witty and smart".

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-07 16:14:42

At 6/7/10 03:58 PM, blunight wrote: well, i'd like some critique on this :P, might throw it out and restart if u hate it, its how i work, i tried to be simplistic here

Yeah, great story man.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-07 16:23:24

At 6/7/10 03:58 PM, blunight wrote: well, i'd like some critique on this :P, might throw it out and restart if u hate it, its how i work, i tried to be simplistic here

wrong forum

Something witty and smart, something like "Something witty and smart".

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-07 16:40:05

Also, this is the first part of the story on my page-http://frakenbourrough.newgrounds.c om/news/post/480386
I'd love it if people read it and critiqued.

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-07 19:04:26

I have a couple questions to be confirmed. First of all, although I am a new member to the community, am I allowed to participate in this contest? It hasn't said anything in the non-existent rules so I assume I'm able to. Secondly, will my submission receive any objection or biased votes because I am a new member? I am hoping this community (especially in the writing forum) is very kind and unbiased, but I'd like to make sure I won't be wasting my time with an entry.

This is a great idea for a day to celebrate. Robots have revolutionized the way we live our lives and although that's most likely not why we're celebrating them, rather than just for the fun of it, I still think it's an alluring idea. So if I do begin a story for Robot Day, I suppose it will be about the difference in the way we lived without robots and how we live with robots today.

Echoism.

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-08 03:06:39

At 6/7/10 07:04 PM, Echoism wrote: This is a great idea for a day to celebrate. Robots have revolutionized the way we live our lives and although that's most likely not why we're celebrating them, rather than just for the fun of it, I still think it's an alluring idea. So if I do begin a story for Robot Day, I suppose it will be about the difference in the way we lived without robots and how we live with robots today.

It sounds more like you're writing an essay. there's nothing wrong with essays, but know that it will hold no entertainment factor. Also you might want to narrow your focus a little more. A topic of the sort you want can be long and tedious for a reader. I would suggest focusing on an individual aspect of how robotic technology has influenced society (factory bots, space exploration, etc.). I have read some excellently written expository/essay works, and I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

There is a secret I must tell you, but if I do it will no longer be so.

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-08 22:05:46

There may be an obvious answer to this question, but does the story need to include a humanoid/bipedal robot? Or can the robot be any autonomous machine?

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-11 05:07:29

At 6/8/10 10:05 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: There may be an obvious answer to this question, but does the story need to include a humanoid/bipedal robot? Or can the robot be any autonomous machine?

I'd have said it could be an autonomous machine - Of the two robots in my piece, I never considered their methods of propulsion, nor indeed what they looked like - they are on a radio show, after all :P

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-11 11:29:03

At 6/11/10 05:07 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 6/8/10 10:05 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: There may be an obvious answer to this question, but does the story need to include a humanoid/bipedal robot? Or can the robot be any autonomous machine?
I'd have said it could be an autonomous machine - Of the two robots in my piece, I never considered their methods of propulsion, nor indeed what they looked like - they are on a radio show, after all :P

I've got a contingency plan. I spoke to MindChamber and he said it shouldn't be a problem but to post the story. I'll send it to him privately and get his approval. If the story doesn't fit the comp, then I can always write another and send this one to the Writer's Anthology :P

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-12 12:19:59

Made a bit of a start on my short story, nothing overly promising just yet, however, I've been struck with a bit of inspiration for some poetry, an idea with an interesting theme and a good, strong moral undertone without falling to sci-fi cliches. I'm not going to say much because it's a cryptic poem, but I will say that it was an element of sci-fi that had me fascinated as a child. I'll probably do a few drafts, run it by a few friends, edit and have it up here probably some time early on in the week. And for the record, no it does not rhyme.

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-12 12:28:07

Writersblock -- Rhyming is either ignored or frowned upon by modernists. Just do what you do and there is no reason to explain for a lack of rhyming.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to (talk) Robotday 2010 writers 2010-06-12 12:38:19

At 6/12/10 12:28 PM, TrevorW wrote: Writersblock -- Rhyming is either ignored or frowned upon by modernists. Just do what you do and there is no reason to explain for a lack of rhyming.

I know. I never rhyme. I just thought I'd clarify, seeing as the poems in the subs thread seem to centre entirely upon rhyme.

I've just completed a poetry class at uni (still waiting for the final results), and I've learned a lot about my poetic style. In addition to the whole no-rhyming thing, I tend to go for a free writing style, working primarily to find rhythm in how words roll off the tongue. I also like to mess about with grammar and repetition, which usually makes my material an easy target for grammar nazis, despite grammar inconsistencies being a feature of the poem, rather than a mistake. ;)

I guess in a way that's what I think I aim for in my short stories too.

BBS Signature