Be a Supporter!

Would you die for your country?

  • 3,552 Views
  • 166 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Member since: Jan. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 11:27 AM Reply

At 6/1/10 05:06 PM, MiroDK wrote: I'd die defending my country, not attacking another one.

Same here!

dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Member since: Feb. 21, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 11:36 AM Reply

No thanks, Englands a shithole. I'd fight for it but I wouldn't die for it.


DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 11:46 AM Reply

If it was for truly a good cause, I would indeed die for my country. I believe that the current wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are not good ones at all, so I would probably not want to join them, because I believe it is simply a lost cause or we have done enough there and we have more problems at home to work with.


You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 12:05 PM Reply

whole heartedly I would do it.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 12:52 PM Reply

No. If the Army called me up to invade another country I most definatly would shoot myself in the foot to keep from going. But if another country invaded our shores, I would gladly take up arms against them.


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 03:49 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 09:54 AM, RacistBassist wrote: I stick up for our Army because it is 100% volunteer and they had the interest of our nation and its people at heart.

Sorry, but this is completely untrue.Okay, you're right about the "interest of your nation" part, but the people, no.
Ancient armies were basically a general with some followers (maybe fighting for their religion or country) that pillaged and destroyed whatever lay in their path...now it's the same, but it's done in a much more "diplomatic" way...you find an excuse to invade a country (America's favorite tactic), you steal/destroy everything in there, and then you say "erm, sorry guys"...and that's why I'd never fight for an army invading another country...
And sure, some armies are volunteer only, but there is so much advertising and basically "making it look cool" that some people go there because they think that it's perfect (and maybe get killed in a random war they don't even care about).

BlubbOnly
BlubbOnly
  • Member since: Dec. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 27
Musician
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 03:54 PM Reply

Absolutely not ! In a matter of fact, I would support the attacking country, if it wasn't the danish people.

Those people totally blows.

legendary foh' shoore
Greatest thread ever !

BBS Signature
zyzy
zyzy
  • Member since: May. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 04:01 PM Reply

Think of it like this, you can join the military for any fucking reason you like. You can join just because you need some new clothing or because you think it makes you special but when In combat I think the reason you joined is the last fucking thing on your mind and you would be dying for your life and the lives of the people around you.

ianhumphreys
ianhumphreys
  • Member since: Oct. 4, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:30 PM Reply

If my country asked me to fight, i would. If they asked me to die, i would. If the cause is freedom, then the answer is yes. Not only would it be a gloriful and honorable death, i would have been excstatic to sacrafice myself for the wellbeing of others so that people can sleep safe at night, so that people can voice their opinions, so people can belive in whatever they want. It would also be brilliant to follow in the footsteps of so many brave and mighty Americans.


I can has mortal kombatz?
NG Viking Army
Zombie Crew

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:30 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 11:16 AM, jacobmorris92 wrote: I'm Batman.

I meant what makes you significant and why you believe I am out to get you.

Well you clearly had a problem with the contrast in our beliefs in the last topic we debated in about the army, and couldn't help but throw in a few insults.

And which topic was that? I am never the first to throw out insults, unless it is calling them ignorant or mindless.

first thing, it never used to be - the US only ended conscription because they had to (pressure from anti-Vietnam protesters, etc). Second, the means of recruiting doesn't justify the means used to complete operations and the motives behind them - it's not a substantial reason to respect the armed forces.

First thing, I wasn't alive then and I said I support our troops, I am not talking about ex-wars, I am talking current. Secondly, our current operations have good intentions behind them (THE WARS FOR OIL LOLOLO), and I will respect the people who fight for their country and the safety and well being of people instead of the idiot behind his computer monitor who thinks all war is bad and our troops are murderers.

That is actually a scandalous lie, it's only ever about defending the plutocracy that is the government and keeping the USA the most powerful nation on the planet.

Really? I could of sworn that we are there to remove a dictatorship and establish a democracy while simultaneously routing out terrorists who execute innocents.

The intentions of the UK army is practically the same as the US army, as they're both owned by imperialist/capitalist states. Oh, and the wave of tabloid-fueled nationalism that eggs the army on is also the same here too.

I like how you use imperialist and capitalist interchangeably. Also, we are in no way an imperialistic society, or else we wouldn't be training an Iraqi force so they can self-govern, and there are no countries that are completely dependent on us that we put there.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
ianhumphreys
ianhumphreys
  • Member since: Oct. 4, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:33 PM Reply

and i wouldnt just fight for the freedom of my people but the freedom of all peoples.


I can has mortal kombatz?
NG Viking Army
Zombie Crew

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 05:36 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 03:49 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Sorry, but this is completely untrue.Okay, you're right about the "interest of your nation" part, but the people, no.

I am not merely talking about the American people.

Ancient armies were basically a general with some followers (maybe fighting for their religion or country) that pillaged and destroyed whatever lay in their path...now it's the same, but it's done in a much more "diplomatic" way...you find an excuse to invade a country (America's favorite tactic), you steal/destroy everything in there, and then you say "erm, sorry guys"...and that's why I'd never fight for an army invading another country...

Ancient armies are irrelevant considering we aren't in ancient times, and our Army operates completely different then them, and the only excuse I can think of that was bs was WMDs, but what we are currently doing in Iraq and Afghanistan is a just cause. Unless you are ok with women getting battery acid thrown on them for not wearing a Burqa in public or for getting raped. Also, explain to me what we have stolen from Iraq or Afghanistan? (LOL OIL) What we are doing there is a huge expense on our part, and we are seeing no profit from it besides the good of other people.

And sure, some armies are volunteer only, but there is so much advertising and basically "making it look cool" that some people go there because they think that it's perfect (and maybe get killed in a random war they don't even care about).

The thread is "Would you die for YOUR country?" as in, mine, as in a volunteer only army. The Military offers excellent benefits and career building options, and most jobs have occupational hazards that are very well known upon sign-up, and if people are oblivious to the fact that they can die as a soldier, there is no way in hell they can pass the ASVAB.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Dubbi
Dubbi
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:07 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 03:49 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 6/2/10 09:54 AM, RacistBassist wrote: I stick up for our Army because it is 100% volunteer and they had the interest of our nation and its people at heart.
Sorry, but this is completely untrue.Okay, you're right about the "interest of your nation" part, but the people, no.
Ancient armies were basically a general with some followers (maybe fighting for their religion or country) that pillaged and destroyed whatever lay in their path...now it's the same, but it's done in a much more "diplomatic" way...you find an excuse to invade a country (America's favorite tactic), you steal/destroy everything in there, and then you say "erm, sorry guys"...and that's why I'd never fight for an army invading another country...
And sure, some armies are volunteer only, but there is so much advertising and basically "making it look cool" that some people go there because they think that it's perfect (and maybe get killed in a random war they don't even care about).

RB is talking about the American army, and you're talking about ancient armies -- so what the hell is your point? Also, (assuming you live in the U.S.) you should have a bit more respect for your nation. American soldiers freed you from England; prevented our great union from splitting; and stopped fascists who were aiming to wipe out all jews. If it weren't for soldiers who were willing to not be complete cowards, like you, your pathetic life would be much worse. And one more thing: if you don't like America, or any other nation you live in, then get the hell out. What right do you have to live here and lavish in the luxuries that our soldiers died for, if you're not willing to respect our nation?


I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.
-- ee cummings

BBS Signature
blue-ice-cube
blue-ice-cube
  • Member since: Nov. 15, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:12 PM Reply

No, not no but HELL NO, im refuse to die over a pointless piece of land because the government fucking sucks and thinks its funny to invade another god damn country for no fucking reason.

Dubbi
Dubbi
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:15 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 08:12 PM, blue-ice-cube wrote: No, not no but HELL NO, im refuse to die over a pointless piece of land because the government fucking sucks and thinks its funny to invade another god damn country for no fucking reason.

Oh, so invading Germany was funny? Gotcha.
And if the government sucks so much, I heard they're not existent in Somalia -- you may want to think about immigrating.


I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.
-- ee cummings

BBS Signature
KennyD
KennyD
  • Member since: May. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:16 PM Reply

Haters.

already joined.

Would you die for your country?

KeYbLadEmAstErlXx
KeYbLadEmAstErlXx
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:16 PM Reply

no i wouldnt because all fat people are in my county

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:17 PM Reply

I'm starting to love Dubbi in that weird, pedophilic mentor mentee kind of way


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
blue-ice-cube
blue-ice-cube
  • Member since: Nov. 15, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:19 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 08:15 PM, Dubbi wrote: Oh, so invading Germany was funny? Gotcha.
And if the government sucks so much, I heard they're not existent in Somalia -- you may want to think about immigrating.

i would have gladly have died in world war 1 and 2, but war today in this world is pointless and bullshit.

OddlyPoetic
OddlyPoetic
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:20 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 08:12 PM, blue-ice-cube wrote: No, not no but HELL NO, im refuse to die over a pointless piece of land because the government fucking sucks and thinks its funny to invade another god damn country for no fucking reason.

Pointless? Not at all

And there was a reason rasta. Just not the one they told you.


Render Unto Caesar

BBS Signature
Dubbi
Dubbi
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:21 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 08:19 PM, blue-ice-cube wrote:
At 6/2/10 08:15 PM, Dubbi wrote: Oh, so invading Germany was funny? Gotcha.
And if the government sucks so much, I heard they're not existent in Somalia -- you may want to think about immigrating.
i would have gladly have died in world war 1 and 2, but war today in this world is pointless and bullshit.

Please explain how defeating terrorists, who want to kill Americans, is pointless and bullshit.


I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.
-- ee cummings

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 08:19 PM, blue-ice-cube wrote: i would have gladly have died in world war 1 and 2, but war today in this world is pointless and bullshit.

You would of gladly died in one of the most gruesome wars known to man that was fought as revenge killing for the assassination of Franz Ferdinand?

So if you're lonely, you know I'm here waiting for you

All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
OddlyPoetic
OddlyPoetic
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:24 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 08:21 PM, Dubbi wrote:

Please explain how defeating terrorists, who want to kill Americans, is pointless and bullshit.

You think that's what we're doing in Iraq?

Cute


Render Unto Caesar

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:26 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 08:24 PM, OddlyPoetic wrote: You think that's what we're doing in Iraq?

Cute

We are removing terrorists who have resentment towards Americans, and we are establishing a democracy and training an Iraqi force so they can eventually govern themselves.

What is so unjust about that?

And if you say oil, I am going to have a field day in your argument


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
OddlyPoetic
OddlyPoetic
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:29 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 08:26 PM, RacistBassist wrote:
At 6/2/10 08:24 PM, OddlyPoetic wrote: You think that's what we're doing in Iraq?

Cute
We are removing terrorists who have resentment towards Americans, and we are establishing a democracy and training an Iraqi force so they can eventually govern themselves.

What terrorists have we gotten rid of? We're losing this war terribly. So the whole thing is sort of backfiring. It isn't our job to train an Iraqi force. Why should we spend any effort or money on it?

What is so unjust about that?

Not unjust. But not our concern. Who says Iraq wants a democracy? Maybe, just maybe they were better off as a dictatorship. Even if not, it's their job to reform the government, not ours.

And if you say oil, I am going to have a field day in your argument

No. Hunting down terrorists was the plan, But it didn't seem to work out that way.


Render Unto Caesar

BBS Signature
Dubbi
Dubbi
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:31 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 08:24 PM, OddlyPoetic wrote:
At 6/2/10 08:21 PM, Dubbi wrote:

Please explain how defeating terrorists, who want to kill Americans, is pointless and bullshit.
You think that's what we're doing in Iraq?

Cute

In Iraq, we're stabalizing the nation, so that it will be, mostly, terrorist free. The terrorists aren't disappearing without a fight -- they are commiting shootings, suicide bombings, carbombs, and other heinous attacks that are killing Americans.

How is that cute?


I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.
-- ee cummings

BBS Signature
KennyD
KennyD
  • Member since: May. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:31 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 08:24 PM, OddlyPoetic wrote:
At 6/2/10 08:21 PM, Dubbi wrote:

Please explain how defeating terrorists, who want to kill Americans, is pointless and bullshit.
You think that's what we're doing in Iraq?

Cute

Have you been to Iraq and Afghanistan?

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:33 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 08:29 PM, OddlyPoetic wrote: What terrorists have we gotten rid of? We're losing this war terribly. So the whole thing is sort of backfiring. It isn't our job to train an Iraqi force. Why should we spend any effort or money on it?

Does Al Queda/the Taliban run those countries anymore? I am pretty sure that right now we are in the final stages of the war, and we are training the Iraqi force so the whole country doesn't implode when we leave like Vietnam did. We should spend money on it for all the innocents over there.

Not unjust. But not our concern. Who says Iraq wants a democracy? Maybe, just maybe they were better off as a dictatorship. Even if not, it's their job to reform the government, not ours.

An oppressive dictator that would kill those who spoke against him and had death squads roaming the streets?

Right, sounds like something they want. You are being very egocentric in your views. People think too much of themselves and are not willing to help their fellow humans.

No. Hunting down terrorists was the plan, But it didn't seem to work out that way.

Really? Fighting is more and more scarce, with the Iraqi force being able to conduct some operations on their own. Soon they will be trained enough to manage their own country and be able to hold free elections from now on barring outside influence.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
OddlyPoetic
OddlyPoetic
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:33 PM Reply

At 6/2/10 08:31 PM, KennyD wrote:
At 6/2/10 08:24 PM, OddlyPoetic wrote:
At 6/2/10 08:21 PM, Dubbi wrote:

Please explain how defeating terrorists, who want to kill Americans, is pointless and bullshit.
You think that's what we're doing in Iraq?

Cute
Have you been to Iraq and Afghanistan?

Notta. But i don't need to have been there to see what's going on. And i find the liberal use of the word "Terrorist" to be curious. It seems to me that people we're fighting now are not so much Terrorists as they are insurgents.


Render Unto Caesar

BBS Signature
Viper-Studios
Viper-Studios
  • Member since: Feb. 12, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Animator
Response to Would you die for your country? Jun. 2nd, 2010 @ 08:34 PM Reply

At 6/1/10 05:37 PM, Archon68 wrote:
Hell no. I despise the American government for its corruption, greed, and to be honest--its basic lack of common sense. There's no way I'm giving my life--my value as a human being--to a country whose policies do not reflect my views. I am definitely not about to fight in any war I don't support the cause of.

dude you should totally join the Navy and get an RE4 discharge. Thats what I did and no draft for me


BBS Signature