New Topic Respond to this Topic
Darkmaster603
Darkmaster603
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 05:25 PM Reply

Well, I'm starting to run out of time deciding what exactly I can do for a career choice. I would really like to sell my music, but I don't know how (I know it's not the best, but I've heard way worse getting signed). I just recently made a reverbnation account and TAP account. Newgrounds was my only music profile but since I seriously decided I want to sell my work I decided to make my music out there.

I don't really know what else to do though. I know I defiantly won't get anything if I just wait for someone important to find my music, but I don't know where to go. Any tips would be helpful (to everyone, not just myself)

I posted this on the TAP forum, but it might be helpful to post here also.

The process of going pro?

Comment/follow/click on some ads

Sig courtesy of InvisibleObserver

BBS Signature
AlexCo
AlexCo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 05:38 PM Reply

There isn't a way of going pro.

Just keep improving.

Most artists have second jobs, unless they are HUGE. The money these days comes from Live Performances, so I'd say you keep the producing as a background thing and get a proper job, producing in your spare time and then, when you're good enough, try to get signed.

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 06:09 PM Reply

Keep making music as a hobby and spam mail your demos to all the labels you can find.

BBS Signature
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 06:40 PM Reply

There's a few ways you can do this. If you're 12, you can play up the cute factor. Especially if you're mildly talented. You WILL be exploited though, and will develop several crippling drug habits by the time you hit 18.

If the above is not possible, then make sure you have a phenomenal amount of talent, and already have quite a decent following in your area. A few statewide tours might help too.

If that isn't happening for you, then you're going to have to rely on blind luck like the other millions of people out there waiting for something big to happen to them. It's kind of like musical lottery, except the payout is much MUCH smaller.

Man, the 80s are gone for good. No multimillion record deals, with private jets and a budget for hookers and blow. The music industry cannot sustain this kind of lifestyle for anyone but the most popular. Also, you'll be surprised to find that alot of your favourite musicians probably have to work dayjobs to make ends meet.

If you want to make serious cash, think about becoming a doctor, psychiatrist, engineer, or lawyer.

Cross666
Cross666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 06:57 PM Reply

You don't make music for the money, you make money for the music.

As said above, pursue a realistic paying position and if you really have the heart for being a musician, do it on your spare time.

BBS Signature
Darkmaster603
Darkmaster603
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 07:11 PM Reply

I never meant to sound like "Oh man I can't wait to make millions of monies and not give three fucks about four fucks", I just wanted to know what the steps were to making money from your music. If you don't want to make music and just like to do it as a hobby, than that's fine. In fact, it is my hobby, but I think SERIOUS musicians would love to make money while making music.

I guess that "heart of a musician" thing is all secret cool, but I think any artist would like to make money from their art. I actually have a well paying job that can sustain my music endeavors.

BBS Signature
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 07:34 PM Reply

I suppose you have to try and make your skills marketable and applicable. Unless you are an amazing songwriter, capable of spitting out incredibly polished tunes, your best bet for making any kind of cashola would involve teaming up with other creative types...ie coders and animators.

If you're writing banging dance tracks, you might be able to make some dough on beatport.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 07:41 PM Reply

Also, you did kind of state that you wanted to make a career out of music. And "going pro" elicits connotations of selling more than a couple of tunes on the side. Make up your mind, son!

Darkmaster603
Darkmaster603
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 07:56 PM Reply

I guess newgrounds wasn't the place to come for this kind of question.

The question was (or supposed to be), what steps do you take in order to get a labels attention. I doubt spamming them is going to get you anything more than a nice stfu letter.

I know that you need skill, talent, blah blah. That's obvious. I don't mean to sound like a dick or anything, so sorry if I'm coming off like that.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:03 PM Reply

This is the process of going pro. That's right, play these 4 chords today and you will be having a golden toilet installed in your bathroom only hours from now!

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Darkmaster603
Darkmaster603
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:06 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 08:03 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: This is the process of going pro. That's right, play these 4 chords today and you will be having a golden toilet installed in your bathroom only hours from now!

I knew I was doing something wrong

BBS Signature
Darkmaster603
Darkmaster603
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:12 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 08:08 PM, Jeffaro wrote: stuff

Alright, that's the kind of stuff I was lookin for!

Thanks for the advice.

BBS Signature
TomsCat
TomsCat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 08:36 PM Reply

Step 1: Do not put your music on this site

When Tom gets F***ing BORED! Please Listen :P

ARGMusic
ARGMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 23rd, 2010 @ 10:27 PM Reply

I went to school for the recording arts. Most people who were in my program liked to "make beats" and wanted to become producers and artists. The reality is, unless you sell tons of copies, you generally don't make any money from being signed to a label--many signed artists are broke or receive very little money, as a record contract is basically a loan that the company and/or your producer controls. Many, many of the artists those companies sign don't ever break even or make any money for the record company. If the record company isn't making money, you're definitely not getting any. If you're looking to write music for TV or film, you'll have to know someone who works as a music producer and apprentice under them for years before you ever get a shot. Career services at my school basically told us all that there aren't any jobs in the dying music business, except for live performances. If you can bring in a crowd to a bar, club, or theatre, you can start earning money. You'll likely get more return on your investment by selling and distributing your own CD, and playing shows. Best of luck, man.

Death2Whity
Death2Whity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 24th, 2010 @ 12:57 AM Reply

As a professional musician here is what I suggest if your trying to start working in the entertainment industry.

The first thing you need to do is find your talents, meaning can you arrange? Read? write? How many instruments do you play? Perform live? Run Rehearsals? conduct?

After you figure out your skills, that will let you know what kinda doors are open for you.

since I don't know exactly what your skills are I will give you my personal perspective.

I am a professional guitar player, Guitar being my strongest instrument, I have several minor instruments, violin, piano, bass, drumset, tabla, clarinet, trumpet, alto sax, etc. and I have experience conducting chamber groups and choirs.

If you want to seriously make money in this business. The most important skills you need to have are being able to read music, and knowing a lot of tunes. I know about 400-500 songs, memorized. This makes you most qualified to work on boats, through agencies, weddings, clubs etc. Being able to do this kinda work is what is going to get you noticed and open bigger opportunities. Make sure you always be professional, and never talk shit, you never know who is watching or listening. Also I don't know where you live, but if your serious, you def want to move someplace with a scene. new york, nashville, memphis, New orleans, LA. are all good. Places like this allow a lot of upward motion. Basically you could be in the best fucking band in all of Utah and no one would give a fuck, but in la, you do good in the clubs, you might get into the studios, you do good in the studios, you might get on tour, you do good on the tour, you might get the chance to work on some of your own stuff.

anyway, I hope this helps but this is legitimately how it works. I am a working professional and this my input. =)

DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to The process of going pro? May. 24th, 2010 @ 06:39 PM Reply

Three things I learned:

1. You have to be a go-getter to become known.

2. Not many labels or people will seek you out if you don't have a fan base.

3. Sadly it's more about quantity these days as opposed to quality.

Helpful Advice:

One must think outside the box. Here are some Idea's that will help you to grow your fan base.

1. post your music everywhere online, I MEAN EVERYWHERE(It will make it easier to be googled which is important when your growing your fan base.)

2. Contacts are very important(find people with similar styles as yours and work together.)

3.Get of the internet and do it the old fashion way(flyers on the street, business cards, advertising, hook up with a label.)

4. Broaden your horizon.(learn more than one style of music; Its important if you want to be PRO.)

5. Music is a business(think in terms like this: is my music sell able? Is the mixing and mastering good enough to be played on radio? Would I keep on making music if I knew their was a possibility of not getting signed or becoming famous?

6. Never give up(quitters never succeed and live in shame thinking about what could of been; don't be one of them.)

I Am L3O, I Am the only Me there is Nobody Else
L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

KillBillvolume2
KillBillvolume2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to The process of going pro? May. 24th, 2010 @ 06:54 PM Reply

Really, if you're just looking to make money off of your music, burn a bunch of CDs of your work and go to smaller indie labels in your area who can give you some decent money as a side job, then try to get your foot in the door by giving out some music for free and doing shows. If you develop a fanbase through that, then you WILL find people who will buy your music, especially in your home town.

I'm not sure what type of music you make, but this definitely is working out for my Hip-Hop and R&B tracks. I'm not signed, but I make a decent amount of money just by doing the occasional gig and selling beats to local rappers.

Hope this helped man.
-KB

TreborLocke
TreborLocke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 25th, 2010 @ 12:39 AM Reply

Going Pro in music is a tricky thing but, not any more difficult than becoming a professional for any other job. You just have to be willing to take initiative.

1) Build a website
2) Sign on to CDBaby or another distributor (takes money to make money)
3) Be willing to put in the time and effort into creating your music. If you wouldn't purchase your own music, why would anyone else?

There are many artists (visual and musical) in the world. Many of the ones who decided to become a professional have jobs in their field.

When you decide to go and become a professional, you need to step up your game and no longer consider your music as a hobby. Also, there is nothing shameful in wishing to make money by selling music. Most people who 'make it big' are found by accident. It is actually VERY EASY to make a living off of electronic music as long as you are willing to put in the time, effort, and brainpower into learning the profession.

I hope it goes well for you :)

Gravey
Gravey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 25th, 2010 @ 12:57 AM Reply

At 5/23/10 06:40 PM, jarrydn wrote: There's a few ways you can do this. If you're 12, you can play up the cute factor. Especially if you're mildly talented. You WILL be exploited though, and will develop several crippling drug habits by the time you hit 18.

Quoted for truth.

And the lulz of course! ;-)

BBS Signature
joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 25th, 2010 @ 02:38 PM Reply

[GOINGPRO]
1. License your music here:

http://audiojungle.net

2. Make money

[/GOINGPRO]

AccountableMasses
AccountableMasses
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 25th, 2010 @ 04:45 PM Reply

Personally,
If I wasn't able to create music professionally, would go to school and become a music teacher.
Something else I've noticed is alot about people know how to play musical instruments/create music but not alot of people know how to fix them.

Zero123Music
Zero123Music
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 25th, 2010 @ 05:51 PM Reply

tunecore is a good site for selling music independantly - though you'll wanna get exposure and recognition before trying to sell

Pure-Metal-UTA
Pure-Metal-UTA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to The process of going pro? May. 25th, 2010 @ 11:53 PM Reply

I've found a couple things that may get the attention of labels
There's 2 ways to go about this too
If you start off independantly, as you are
1) If you're canadian check out Indie Pool You can pay them to create and distribut your albums, they can even master your works to sound professional.
2) Reverbnation has many effective ways of getting your band noticed. You can distribute your music onto iTunes, Amazon, Napster, etc. for a relatively low price (I think it's $35/year)
3) From there, start playing live shows, reverbnation has many ways for you to get live shows, and surely there'll be a scout somewhere amongst all those.

Good luck!

SSaB
SSaB
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 26th, 2010 @ 12:05 AM Reply

WHat are some sites to get music up that doesn't cost money?
Other sites like the NG AP, I mean aside from the typical youtube, myspace, ect.

Um, yeah.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to The process of going pro? May. 26th, 2010 @ 12:20 AM Reply

If you want results, you have to be prepared to invest to some degree. Otherwise, just try sites like soundclick, bandcamp etc.

commandab
commandab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 28th, 2010 @ 10:44 AM Reply

this is the last place you want to ask to know how to do that

Offgore
Offgore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to The process of going pro? May. 28th, 2010 @ 11:23 AM Reply

At 5/28/10 10:44 AM, commandab wrote: this is the last place you want to ask to know how to do that

Gtfo dude, no one wants you here and you have no idea what your talking about.

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The process of going pro? May. 28th, 2010 @ 12:40 PM Reply

I may be mistaken, but I'm sold the impression that theres more money to be made scoring games, music, commercials then there is in selling just strictly listening music.

BBS Signature
architecture
architecture
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The process of going pro? May. 28th, 2010 @ 04:41 PM Reply

just buy a TR808 and do live PA.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to The process of going pro? May. 28th, 2010 @ 04:52 PM Reply

At 5/23/10 07:56 PM, Darkmaster603 wrote: I guess newgrounds wasn't the place to come for this kind of question.

Umm no actually jaryydn pretty much wrote it all up for you. You can throw your music around all you want but if you're not out turning your jams into a live DJ set where you can sell merch and mailing out all your shit to labels that might be interested your aiming for a blind goal. Do more than just post your music up for free on some random internet site.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.