New Topic Respond to this Topic
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 17:47:30 Reply

WIP Spider Man Bust Sketch. Not sure I like how it came out.

Majestic Bob's thread

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 17:51:01 Reply

At 5/25/10 05:47 PM, MajesticBob wrote: WIP Spider Man Bust Sketch. Not sure I like how it came out.

the eyes look more like Spawn than Spiderman...

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 17:52:33 Reply

I get it. I always just drew what was in my mind and if it looked wrong I redrew it till it looked better. I know that's the wrong way but old habbits are hard to break. I'll try rough sketching and see if I can get the hang of it. I really do appreciate the advice and help. Just bear with me I been drawing this way for a long time and kinda set in my ways.

Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 17:55:28 Reply

At 5/25/10 05:47 PM, MajesticBob wrote: WIP Spider Man Bust Sketch. Not sure I like how it came out.

ok the eyes are twisted across his face, and as has been said look more like spawn, the actual profile of the face doesnt go with the features youve put in, but hey, facial anatomy is a bitch to get, no matter who you are, i still cant get it

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 17:58:04 Reply

At 5/25/10 05:52 PM, MajesticBob wrote: I get it. I always just drew what was in my mind and if it looked wrong I redrew it till it looked better. I know that's the wrong way but old habbits are hard to break. I'll try rough sketching and see if I can get the hang of it. I really do appreciate the advice and help. Just bear with me I been drawing this way for a long time and kinda set in my ways.

well break the habit. plain and simple.
if you don't, your not going to get much farther as a artist. You need to study some basics. Simple life drawing classes will aid you quite a bit.
Start drawing from life, learn about underlying structures, study form and composition.

This may seem cruel, but abandon what you want to draw and pick up what you need to draw. After you start to get those skills down, then you can start drawing what you want to draw again.

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 18:53:40 Reply

At 5/25/10 05:58 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 5/25/10 05:52 PM, MajesticBob wrote: I get it. I always just drew what was in my mind and if it looked wrong I redrew it till it looked better. I know that's the wrong way but old habbits are hard to break. I'll try rough sketching and see if I can get the hang of it. I really do appreciate the advice and help. Just bear with me I been drawing this way for a long time and kinda set in my ways.
well break the habit. plain and simple.
if you don't, your not going to get much farther as a artist. You need to study some basics. Simple life drawing classes will aid you quite a bit.
Start drawing from life, learn about underlying structures, study form and composition.

This may seem cruel, but abandon what you want to draw and pick up what you need to draw. After you start to get those skills down, then you can start drawing what you want to draw again.

You make sense. No doubt. However. Art is free expression. If I draw According to lessons and tried and true methods it is art, but it feels like a form of conformity and structure that seems to suck the fun out. Don't get me wrong, your Advice is 100& valid. I appreciate it. I will use most of it. However, I'm not trying to be the next great artist. I draw, doodle, MSPaint because it's fun and relaxing, I was once upon a time Trained as a Graphic artist. But thats a far cry from here. Though any and all art skills help. I did subtle things, layouts and such things that our taken for granted. I don't do that much anymore either. not for about 12 years. I have books and reference material. I could take classes. But I like to experiment. Again everything you say is true and I do appreciate and use the advise given. But my drum beats a little differently. I'll incorporate what fits me, improve what can, and value the the advice/criticism of others. I hope that does not come off as rude or disrespectful. Nor am I saying I don't want advice, just don't put it so harsh. Your great artist. I respect that. I'm not, I want to be better, but not if it means sacrificing what i fnd so relaxing about it.

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 19:07:20 Reply

Again, I'm not knocking or ignoring advice. I'm taking it all in stride. If any of my responses seem defensive I apologize.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 19:19:43 Reply

Art as a hobby and a relaxation technique is good. I guess the reason I went for a career in art is because I found it fun. Although sometimes it's more stressful than relaxing.
Although a hobby for you, it won't hurt to learn the basics. And although you have a valid point about conforming, but that truly only applies to the basics. Once you learn those then they become more of a powerful tool rather than a conformity. Some of the most eccentric artist like Picasso, Keith Haring, and even Andy Warhol studied the basics, any they are/were anything but conforming.

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 19:31:06 Reply

At 5/25/10 07:19 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Art as a hobby and a relaxation technique is good. I guess the reason I went for a career in art is because I found it fun. Although sometimes it's more stressful than relaxing.
Although a hobby for you, it won't hurt to learn the basics. And although you have a valid point about conforming, but that truly only applies to the basics. Once you learn those then they become more of a powerful tool rather than a conformity. Some of the most eccentric artist like Picasso, Keith Haring, and even Andy Warhol studied the basics, any they are/were anything but conforming.

True. I have done the basics and they are a powerful tool, and if I get inspired I might start using them more. But most of the time my brain goes: "Your bored. Go draw Spiderman! There's no time for scetching! Damn the basics! Draw Spiderman now!" Then a great craving for Taco Bell ovtakes me and it all goes down hill from there.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 19:34:29 Reply

At 5/25/10 07:31 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Then a great craving for Taco Bell ovtakes me and it all goes down hill from there.

I know the feeling... It's like when I start drinking whiskey... then I wanna watch the Princess Bride.. then I wanna cook pasta with Broccoli and Cheese.

I really have no clue why those three things like together like that....

But anyway the more you practice, the more natural things will become, even when just doodling.

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 19:42:03 Reply

At 5/25/10 07:34 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: I know the feeling... It's like when I start drinking whiskey... then I wanna watch the Princess Bride.. then I wanna cook pasta with Broccoli and Cheese.

Yeah!!! The Princess Bride is totally my favorite movie that I've never seen!!!

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 20:09:58 Reply

At 5/25/10 07:34 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 5/25/10 07:31 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Then a great craving for Taco Bell ovtakes me and it all goes down hill from there.
I know the feeling... It's like when I start drinking whiskey... then I wanna watch the Princess Bride.. then I wanna cook pasta with Broccoli and Cheese.
I really have no clue why those three things like together like that....
But anyway the more you practice, the more natural things will become, even when just doodling.

Whiskey tells me to draw hot naked anime chicks, and that never pans out. It always ends with on my lawn screaming KAGOME!!! Just kidding. Well exept for that one time...

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 20:16:43 Reply

At 5/25/10 08:09 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Whiskey tells me to draw hot naked anime chicks, and that never pans out. It always ends with on my lawn screaming KAGOME!!! Just kidding. Well exept for that one time...

look at the up side... at least it's not your bosses yard...

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 20:52:06 Reply

See? Monkey can learn! Monkey sketch! And am surprised by the results. Please form a line for I told you so's.

Majestic Bob's thread

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 21:05:18 Reply

WIP

Majestic Bob's thread

MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 21:57:19 Reply

Slow going. WIP 2. Now with pole-arm!

Majestic Bob's thread

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 21:58:02 Reply

At 5/25/10 09:57 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Slow going. WIP 2. Now with pole-arm!

what do you use to ink again?

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 22:03:02 Reply

I kinda don't want to tell you, 'cause you'll yell at me. LOL. No really. I photocopy the pencil using my awesome multi- function printer. Then I go over it with a gel Pen. Real low tech I know. Then I clean it up/ add lines an such in GIMP.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 22:11:50 Reply

At 5/25/10 10:03 PM, MajesticBob wrote: I kinda don't want to tell you, 'cause you'll yell at me. LOL. No really. I photocopy the pencil using my awesome multi- function printer. Then I go over it with a gel Pen. Real low tech I know. Then I clean it up/ add lines an such in GIMP.

other than the Gel Pen that is not a bad way to go about it.
I prefer a water proof inks and technical pens if I don't ink digitally.
I've been known to draw something, the scan it, clean it up print it out on higher quality paper then ink that printing and color with markers.

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 22:19:01 Reply

At 5/25/10 10:11 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 5/25/10 10:03 PM, MajesticBob wrote: I kinda don't want to tell you, 'cause you'll yell at me. LOL. No really. I photocopy the pencil using my awesome multi- function printer. Then I go over it with a gel Pen. Real low tech I know. Then I clean it up/ add lines an such in GIMP.
other than the Gel Pen that is not a bad way to go about it.
I prefer a water proof inks and technical pens if I don't ink digitally.
I've been known to draw something, the scan it, clean it up print it out on higher quality paper then ink that printing and color with markers.

Gel pen is all I have to work with. Well not completely true. I have Ink and Quills but I hate those fuckers. They always puke up ink one second and go bone dry the next.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 22:25:31 Reply

At 5/25/10 10:19 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Gel pen is all I have to work with. Well not completely true. I have Ink and Quills but I hate those fuckers. They always puke up ink one second and go bone dry the next.

yeah I remember learning how to use those, talk about a mess. although I do keep around bottles of ink in case I have to to large black areas where I can use a brush . Other than that I like to use Microns, and Steadler and I like the Pilot V-7 when I;m on the go

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 22:31:13 Reply

At 5/25/10 10:25 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 5/25/10 10:19 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Gel pen is all I have to work with. Well not completely true. I have Ink and Quills but I hate those fuckers. They always puke up ink one second and go bone dry the next.
yeah I remember learning how to use those, talk about a mess. although I do keep around bottles of ink in case I have to to large black areas where I can use a brush . Other than that I like to use Microns, and Steadler and I like the Pilot V-7 when I;m on the go

I gotta say thanks for being so helpful. I was kinda afraid to post a thread, as I've seen some nasty responses. Though to be fair It's usually directed at ass-bags or trolls. Still fairly intimidating.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 22:36:30 Reply

At 5/25/10 10:31 PM, MajesticBob wrote: I gotta say thanks for being so helpful. I was kinda afraid to post a thread, as I've seen some nasty responses. Though to be fair It's usually directed at ass-bags or trolls. Still fairly intimidating.

don't worry, as time progresses we'll have you manning the blam cannons one day :P
lol.
Some of us try to be professional.... some are here for fun... then their is JoeToucan....

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 22:44:49 Reply

At 5/25/10 10:36 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 5/25/10 10:31 PM, MajesticBob wrote: I gotta say thanks for being so helpful. I was kinda afraid to post a thread, as I've seen some nasty responses. Though to be fair It's usually directed at ass-bags or trolls. Still fairly intimidating.
don't worry, as time progresses we'll have you manning the blam cannons one day :P
lol.
Some of us try to be professional.... some are here for fun... then their is JoeToucan....

He confuses me, one minute he's making a valid point. The next he's raping a piece of gum. Funny either way, just confusing.

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 22:53:44 Reply

At 5/25/10 10:44 PM, MajesticBob wrote: He confuses me, one minute he's making a valid point. The next he's raping a piece of gum. Funny either way, just confusing.

If your only confused, thats a good thing.

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 22:58:01 Reply

So, as you may have noticed. i SUCK at shading. Any advice?

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 23:04:29 Reply

At 5/25/10 10:58 PM, MajesticBob wrote: So, as you may have noticed. i SUCK at shading. Any advice?

well. The first thing to do is determine the light source. Where it is coming from. that followed by any secondary sources and then bounce light.

that came off sounding like it was out of a 3D textbook.

Basically pick a place. Put a light there, and think of where the light hits the figure. After that slowly pencil in where the shadows fall.
I tend to use Shadow mapping a lot. Thats where you draw the outline of the shadow and fill it in.
When Adding shadows, think about the curves of the characters.

BBS Signature
Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 23:15:40 Reply

At 5/25/10 10:58 PM, MajesticBob wrote: So, as you may have noticed. i SUCK at shading. Any advice?

my advice is to first determine your light source. draw a sun or something real light on your paper, where the light source will be from, and make little lines in the direction the light is traveling. then just shade accordingly. google faces or just pictures in general and notice the way light reflects off skin, metals, clothing, ect. to get a feel of how to shade different objects

and continuing on the pens and inking, i personally use Prismacolor Premier Fine Line Markers, basically, glorified tech pens, but either way, better than some gel pen. oce you try them out, you will notice, there is definetely a difference between pens you throw around at school and pens you ink with :)

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 23:16:04 Reply

Welp, I got a tutorial for that (it's on cel-shading).

Kashi
Kashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Majestic Bob's thread 2010-05-25 23:18:06 Reply

At 5/25/10 11:04 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
well. The first thing to do is determine the light source. Where it is coming from. that followed by any secondary sources and then bounce light.

damnit kinsei, got it before me, and now i sould like a plagiarizer T.T
but like we both said :3, thats a good place to start